Never Tell Me The Odds!: From the Hospital Bed to Club 71

Good luck this weekend!
Thank you.

I see there is a tracking option on the SF Giants Race website -- post your bib number when you get it so we can watch you! :magnify:

ETA: GOOD LUCK!!!!
Thanks and will do. I might have a possible bib number, but I don't want to post it until I've confirmed it. I wonder if the barcode on my packet pickup email contains my bib number. It could also be completely different.

Can you post the link to runner tracking here? It's hiding from me at the moment and I've got other people likely interested. Thanks.

Bib number 3045. They just hand out random bibs at the Expo. Really happy with the race photo ops. Pics to come tomorrow.

Ah! I totally forgot that the race was today so I forgot to come by and wish you a good race. Just checked the tracking and if I'm understanding it correctly, it looks like you're doing great!!

Today was not my day. I could tell early on that there were problems. I was all out of sorts at the start of the race. Sometimes I have early morning coughs. Nothing serious, but no fun to deal with while running. And the cough was a problem this morning. I had a high side stitch. Slowing down always helps these things go away. Well by the time it had finally gone away, my upper back was screaming and I didn't dare go any faster. I wound up walking probably 9 miles of the race, the most I've ever walked in a race before. And you know what else? In spite of all that, I still knocked 3 minutes off my actual PR of 3:05 from the 2011 Disneyland Half.

I have a race report coming up and a lot of photos from a very fun race. To briefly summarize, while I did not achieve my goal of a sub 3 hour half today, I still achieved a PR. And the primary purpose of this race was to prepare for Dopey and in that respect it was incredibly valuable. I think I know what caused the back pain and I have plenty of time to address that in strength training and make sure that I do not repeat certain things during Dopey weekend itself.

Ah! I totally forgot that the race was today so I forgot to come by and wish you a good race. Just checked the tracking and if I'm understanding it correctly, it looks like you're doing great!!
Even in my initial frustration over things not appearing to go my way, as I checked my watch to make sure my mile time was acceptable, I began to realize that in spite of everything that PR was still in play. And even though my back dictated having to just keep walking to make it to the end, I still hit that PR.

You did sooooo awesome!!! Congrats!!
Thank you so much. It means so much to me that people care enough about my race to take a few minutes to see how I did. I really appreciate it.

Just saw your finish time - you did amazing! Congrats!!
Thank you. At a challenging point during the race when my brain wanted to run, but my back said NOPE, NOT TODAY, I thought of so many people here who have been so encouraging to me. I knew that my friends here would be proud of me no matter what and that helped me to accept that a sub 3 hour half wasn't happening today, but I could still find success.

And my little sister absolutely crushed her PR! She knocked 10 minutes off her PR today.

For now, I will say this. The idea of running slower in order to run faster really works. Setting aside character stops, in all my previous races, I ran the race faster than I trained. Today the opposite happened. I ran slower than my fastest training paces. But I still walked those miles considerably faster than I have ever walked them before. My fears and questions of why did I sign up for Dopey during the early miles of the race have been replaced with the realization that I have time to address the back pain in strength training and I know what to avoid in the days leading up to Dopey.

Original PR: 3:05 something 2011 Disneyland Half

New PR: 3:02:11 2018 San Francisco Giant Race Half Marathon

I began to realize that in spite of everything that PR was still in play...

On the one hand, you have to listen to your body. On the other hand, sometimes your body lies to you. On the third hand, great job sorting it all out during the race, and...

New PR: 3:02:11 2018 San Francisco Giant Race Half Marathon

Congrats on a great race!

You are the champion... Of the world! (Link for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about):
)

On the one hand, you have to listen to your body. On the other hand, sometimes your body lies to you. On the third hand, great job sorting it all out during the race, and...
Sometimes I've second guessed myself that I could have pushed it more yesterday, but I also suspect that my body was physiologically causing temporary trouble in other areas to keep me from going too hard before the major problem cropped up when my back started to scream around mile 8. I learned a lot yesterday about what not to do heading into the marathon. Better to learn them in difficult yet ultimately successful circumstances instead of having to deal with the consequences during the marathon when it's too late to correct the decisions leading up to the race.

I want to run this race again if only because I want to see what I can do with seriously long and beautiful flat stretches along a fairly uncrowded and beautiful course. Crissy Field by the Golden Gate Bridge was peaceful and beautiful as the waves lapped up along the nearby beach.

Yay for a new PR!
It truly feels good even with all the challenges. The fact that I wonder what could happen if everything went right yesterday tells me how far I've come from once simply being happy to just finish.

Getting a PR in a race where you struggled from the start is definitely a great feeling. Congrats! You've got a few months to sort things out before Dopey, and it looks like you know what you need to do - I can't wait to see what you can accomplish in January!!

Getting a PR in a race where you struggled from the start is definitely a great feeling. Congrats! You've got a few months to sort things out before Dopey, and it looks like you know what you need to do - I can't wait to see what you can accomplish in January!!
Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means a lot to me.

With apologies to coach, who has read through many different permutations of these thoughts already and who will no doubt read through these as well to see what important information can be gleaned, here is my recap of the 2018 San Francisco Giant Race.

Episode I: The Race Expo.

This race marked something new for me, namely my first ever non runDisney race. This marks the 9th year of the Giant Race and 2018 also marks the 60th anniversary season of the Giants in San Francisco, so there's a lot to celebrate including the 60 miles for 60 years medal, which I've already shared earlier here. With the expo open until 4:00pm and absolutely no race day bib pickup, my little sister and I arrived at AT&T Park around 12:45. The long lines they had warned us about never materialized. Being used to runDisney's efficient machine of pick up your bib according to your bib number, I was surprised to find them just handing out bibs. They looked at my registration printout, pulled a random half marathon bib out of the pile, noted my shirt size on the bib, had me pull some pins out of a large box full of them, gave me a wristband for my corral and sent us on our way.

We first checked out the official race merchandise table. Yep, a table. Not the aisles and racks and aisles and racks of everything under the sun you could possibly want and then some. I was pleasantly surprised to find race merchandise substantially less expensive than I would have thought. Noticed a few things, decided to think on them and head to the rest of the Expo. At the biofreeze booth, they were encouraging us to take as many small packets of biofreeze as we wanted. I think I'm set for Dopey now.

Next up came the first big surprise. The expo instructions noted that you could get a photo with the trophies. As both my sister and I have done this before, we were not really planning on doing it today expecting very large crowds of runners wanting to get photos with the trophies. Well, except there was literally no line. A far cry from the 10 minute line for stormtroopers at Dark Side 2018.

I could take pictures with my own camera, but the Giants also had a photographer on hand. After he told me to put my race bib in the 2014 trophy, I knew that I almost had to buy the photo. But in doing so, they gave me free downloads of both options. The 8x10 and 5x7 I purchased came with the field shot only.

Around here, these trophies are known as the triplets.

In case anyone ever visits this gem of a ballpark, this photo is an amalgamation of a different statues. The Giants erect a statue for every player/manager in franchise history who makes the Hall of Fame.

Next up we headed down to pick up our Bruce Bochy bobbleheads and got sidetracked by the vintage race shirts table. So yes, both of us bought Giant Race tech shirts from previous years for $5 each. Not a bad price for a tech shirt.

On the way, we stopped by the race merchandise table, where both of us bought the race jacket and Lou Seal race weekend shirts, and my little sister picked up a race visor, long sleeve shirt for marathon weekend and socks. I passed on the race visor since one size fits most always translates to never fits me. I would pick up a visor at the Giants Dugout Store. And it was a good thing I did.

After the Expo and now lugging a backpack loaded with 2 bobbleheads and a book designed to keep our photographs flat, we started the 2.5 mile walk to the hotel. In hindsight, I really didn't think everything through. My back had it by the time we reached the hotel. I should have chosen a hotel substantially closer to the ballpark. But at least there was a Subway right by the hotel, so we had lunch and dinner figured out. I'm so used to knowing what Disney restaurant I'm eating at before the half that this was a new adventure.

After reviewing all our options, we decided to walk the 2.5 miles to the race start the next morning. We concluded that if uber/lyft doesn't show up or public transit in San Francisco is impacted by the race, that we would have more stress than we needed to on race morning. So we walked the 2.5 miles to the race, me now carrying a backpack loaded with a book, 2 bobbleheads, 2 jackets (I had not planned on buying a jacket at the expo), and lots and lots of shirts. Clearly I didn't think this through very well. To top it all off, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach on race morning. I hoped it was just nerves and it did go away after we dropped our stuff off at bag check, but I was still concerned. At least I had the weight of my backpack off my back. Thank goodness for bag check. I had feared that "small personal item" might mean I would have to run with the backpack and that would have been disastrous.

One last bathroom stop and we were on our way to the corrals. This race had 3 corrals. We were, as we expected, in the last corral. Given the 20,000 runners number, I was anticipating runDisney level crowds. I was wrong. I think 20,000 referred to the number of runners for the entire weekend, kids races, family fun relay, 5K, 10K, and Half. The race started at 7:00am and by 7:14, we were off. The 10K and Half races started at the same time.

And this is where problem number one occurred. FitBit decided that it didn't really want to connect to my phone. And then I completely forgot to tell Strava I was running. So now I can't really track how long I've been running aside from the time on my watch. But this also means that the only way I can track my intervals is in my head. This goes okay for a little bit, but the first part of the race is congested. Before long a greater problem comes up. I am not a morning person. Sometimes I can't even eat until 8:30am without getting nauseous. This won't work for races, so I've learned to tolerate applesauce on race mornings. Well this is going to be one of those mornings, only this time the phlegm is accompanied by the cough that won't go away. Thankfully, I don't actually lose the contents of my stomach, but a scary cough later and I'm off again. And things just continue to cascade from there. To top it off, the mile markers are not always visible so I have no idea where I am and how fast I'm truly going. Coach thinks I may have started out too fast. Meanwhile, my body wants nothing to do with running this morning and all sorts of aches and pains are manifesting themselves all over the place. Eventually, I settle into a pace that my body will agree to some of the time, but this pace does not allow me to run. The mental game gets worse when I see all the 10K runners going strong as they head down the home stretch on the back half of their face and I have yet to even see the course split. I wonder what would happen if I just gave up and joined the 10K.

But I registered for a half marathon, dang it and I'm going to do this thing. So when the course split finally comes, I do the right thing. I stay to the left and keep going. And then one of the very few steep climbs in this course comes. But I make it up the hill, recalibrate myself and start to go again. I'm finally settling in, but doing a lot more walking than I normally do. Oh how I wish this had been my day.

I will say that around mile 6, I told myself 20.2 miles to go. In the past that scared me. In spite of everything going down today the way it did, I accepted in this moment that someday that would be reality. Coach since has advised me that I need to work on correcting this mentality in order to have success in the marathon.

This is a very beautiful course. It proclaims itself as the fastest course in San Francisco and the least hilly. True on both counts.

Look at that view.

Running by the Golden Gate Bridge. Do you see a lot of runners on this course? Yep, neither do I. When this course opens up, it really opens up.

I've now passed the halfway point and it's not so bad anymore. Well at least for 2 miles or so. My cough returns again with a vengeance and I really have to slow down to calm it down. And then my back decides to scream. It has had enough of heavy backpacks and all this time on my feet. Now I abandon all pretense of even appearing to run and just start walking. I can barely tolerate this, but I can tolerate it. I see the medical tent and stop so they can spray biofreeze down my back. This helps, but not as much as I hoped it would. At this point, I just want the race to be over. My back wants me to stop now.

Although I did not fully realize this at the time, this race is precisely what I truly wanted. I signed up for this to test some things for Dopey. I needed to know now what worked. And more importantly, what did not work. In the moment, I understand that I cannot afford to neglect strength training for Dopey. I also need to make sure that I keep as much weight off my back as possible before Dopey. No lugging that Nikon DSLR around Disney World before the marathon. The long slow march continues.

And somehow as each mile marker gets higher, I look at when I started versus where I am now and realize that despite this day going all sorts of wrong, that PR could still actually happen. But at the same time, the pain gets worse. I fully accept that I cannot push for that PR so I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. And soon enough, I see a wonderful sight. The floodlights of AT&T Park in the distance.

Almost there. Stay on target. Almost there.

See what I mean about this course really opening up. Although maybe this is just me being used to runDisney.

I see a mile marker. The last one I saw was 10, so I really hope this one says 12. Happily it is definitely 12. Soon this will all be over.

The home stretch is finally here. Almost to mile 13!

And then at long last, I enter through right field of AT&T Park. I can see the finish line. I can see the photographer. I finally raise my hands in, well something, smile, and move across that finish line. Did I run across it? I don't know. Hopefully the race photos will be release soon. There might be a really good one of me all by myself.

Left field selfie!

And now I move to the race cool down area. The actual field. This is a dream come true. I'm almost choked up at how amazing this feels. I'm just wandering the outfield grass at AT&T Park. I call my little sister from the outfield grass and she finds me. Little Miss Smash Her PR by 10 minutes! has been wandering the field figuring eventually her slower older brother will cross the finish line. She hasn't told me what she thinks she's done yet. I find the refreshments. Yogurt, pretzels, and chocolate milk! I take two. Boy does that taste good. My sister also tells me that I can more or less explore any part of the field that isn't roped off.

And then I find out that they'll let me in the dugout. The actual Giants dugout!

Celebrating the race in the dugout!

Pretending to watch a close game in the late innings. From the dugout!

Not far from where so many Buster Hugs have taken place. As a refresher, since Giants catcher Buster Posey has caught 3 World Series titles, a perfect game, no hitters, to name just a few, the celebratory hug he gives the pitcher after the final out has become known as the Buster Hug. The 2010 NL West, 2012 NL West, 2012 NL pennant, 2014 NL pennant, and the only perfect game in franchise history were all on this field.

The 2018 Giant Race bling and 60 miles for 60 years bib. Thanks to the lady who brought hers and put it on the field so I could take this picture.

I took one last look around the field to make sure I hadn't missed anything. The 5K start was happening soon and I wanted to get home as well to just rest. And then I saw the World Series banners in the outfield.

Pretending to make a leaping catch at the warning track.

2010 World Series plaque outside the park entrance.

2012 and 2014 World Series plaques outside the park entrance.

2014 World Series Hero Madison Bumgarner banner.

The. Greatest. Of. All. Time. Willie Mays.

In 1958, a parade was held to welcome the Giants to San Francisco and the players rode the parade route in cable cars. The exact same route was repeated complete with cable cars for the 2010 World Series parade as it is the first World Series championship since the team moved to San Francisco.

Buster Posey window on the way to the ballpark.

Kudos to you for seeing your struggles during this race as a learning opportunity and not just letting them get you down. It's hard to struggle during a race and not let it drag you all the way down. But you managed to make it through and figure out how to stop this from happening at Dopey - and that's awesome. I'm so impressed!!

Also ... I love all of your post-race pictures! So many amazing photo ops! On the field! In the dugout! Amazing!!!

Awesome job! Not every run will be a good one, not every race will be a good one, but you live and learn and apply it to the next one.

Also, HOLY PHOTO OPS!!! The Dbacks never let us on the field or in the dugout. Luckyyyy.

Kudos to you for seeing your struggles during this race as a learning opportunity and not just letting them get you down. It's hard to struggle during a race and not let it drag you all the way down. But you managed to make it through and figure out how to stop this from happening at Dopey - and that's awesome. I'm so impressed!!

Also ... I love all of your post-race pictures! So many amazing photo ops! On the field! In the dugout! Amazing!!!
Thanks. It took me some time to feel better about what didn't happen during the race. I felt like I both set a PR and failed at the same time. But as I remembered that this race was really about Dopey testing, I came to realize that the challenges during the race were a blessing in disguise because I identified key areas to correct before the marathon. In a weird way, running a great race and accomplishing everything I wanted to may have been a disaster in the long run.

My little sister texted me the other night and said "I'll never see that field the same way again." As a little boy, I cheered for teams with ties to where my family lived at the time, so for about 5 years my favorite team could change. But I always at least liked the Giants because they had a local tie. But upon moving to the San Francisco area, the Giants quickly overtook all the other teams and remained my team. I remember the fear they would move to Tampa Bay after 1992, the excitement when they stayed and signed Barry Bonds, the thrill and heartbreak of the 2002 World Series, and the complete shock and utter joy in 2010. In all my years as a baseball fan, that marked the first time my favorite team won the World Series. Being on that field was such a thrill. I might have teared up a little. Even though my childhood dreams of being a major league baseball player didn't happen, I did get to participate in an athletic contest on a major league baseball field and feel the elation of success on a major league baseball field since the race finished there.

Awesome job! Not every run will be a good one, not every race will be a good one, but you live and learn and apply it to the next one.

Also, HOLY PHOTO OPS!!! The Dbacks never let us on the field or in the dugout. Luckyyyy.
I've said it before, so I'll say it again. I think we have bad runs in training in order to learn how to respond when that happens on race day.

When my sister said they would let me in the dugout, I think I almost cried. They're letting me in the dugout?!?! Seriously, the Giants dugout?!!!?!!!?!!! I even pretended the bullpen phone was the same one Bruce Bochy used in game 7 of the 2014 World Series. That game was in Kansas City, so not the same bullpen phone, but still.

In the final prerace instructions they said "we know many of you feel like this is 'hallowed ground' and we're happy to let you on it, but please respect the privilege." As a side note the 10K or Half are the best options for field time with this race. The 5K is much more crowded than those 2 races and starts at 10:50am. So even a slow half finisher such as myself gets a lot of time on a fairly empty field. I've seen some photos where the field is almost covered in runners.

Also, my official race photos link came through. I'm happy with the photos of me running by the Golden Gate Bridge and very happy with the finish line photos. Plus, coach will be happy that I at least smiled when I saw a photographer. Although one photo which captures how I really felt for much of the race also shows I should try to smile more even when I don't feel it.

https://dynastyphotography.zenfolio.com/giantrace18?eq=3045

I think I've finally worked and sorted through all my post race thoughts. I alternated between wanting to move on from the race and prepare for the next one to needing to rehash every little detail. So thanks to coach for reading a few variations on the same thing and helping me reset my mental game leading up to Dopey.

Giant Race Final(?) Thoughts:

What went wrong: Too many things, but I've worked through them all now. Ultimately, I'm glad they did go wrong because they exposed areas I need to work on and new things to learn. Particularly the idea about not counting down how many miles I have left to go at certain points. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

What went right. And fortunately, there's a lot that did go right.

1. Fueling. I think for the first time I actually appropriately fueled during a race. Too often in training or in races, I forget to fuel at certain points. This time, I set out my fuel stops (miles 3, 6 or 7 where the race provided fuel, and mile 9 or 10. I hit the two self imposed points right on.

2. Marathon shoes passed their test. So I bought a new pair of running shoes in January. They're great for shorter runs, but not so great on longer runs. I cannot use them for a half. My old half shoes have had a good run, so I bought some new running shoes to make sure they worked for a long distance run. Which they did very well, so that's settled.

3. The challenges on race day and the aftermath had me questioning my decision to sign up for a marathon and shook my confidence and had me doubting myself for a few days. Before my very first race, I was very quiet. Only family and maybe a few very close friends even knew I was running. I was pretty sure I was going to fail so I didn't want to tell people what I was doing nor did I want them to tell me I would fail. I was also reasonably sure that almost everyone who wished me good luck was really just being polite because they didn't want to tell me I would fail.

I nearly became a self fulfilling prophecy that day. So heading into a new distance, I'm determined to not make the same mistakes. So I confronted my fears, wrote them down, and sent them to coach (testing to see if he senses the badger signal being sent up without being tagged). Now, a few days later, I don't even remember what they were. They'll probably come back to me, but now I can address them appropriately instead of letting them gnaw at me from the inside.

Week of September 11th Running Update:

Runs: None. Recovering from the race. Took about 2 days for the stiffness to go away and another 4 for the soreness to go away.

Life: Very stressful. Big work deadline today is now out of the way, so that's good. Goal set to start running again tomorrow.

More than I realized professional stress and race stress really did a number on me. Hoping that Dopey will not present some of those challenges since I'll be spending the days leading up to the big race in Disney World as opposed to the office and get to spend a couple of days in Disney World after the race before heading back to the office. Or as I call it, the Batcave. Because I spend long hours there during the same time every single year and leave the office when it's dark outside. But in a geeky, nerdy way it helps me pretend that I'm actually Batman so I feel better about it.

Ultimately, I'm glad they did go wrong because they exposed areas I need to work on and new things to learn. Particularly the idea about not counting down how many miles I have left to go at certain points. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

The trick is to focus on how many miles you've completed and send a positive message to yourself about the miles behind you. I've got 'numerology' I use at most miles of a marathon.

You want to try to only think of the 'next' mile in front of you.

I'll post more when I get back from my run.

Last edited:
Particularly the idea about not counting down how many miles I have left to go at certain points. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

Would breaking things down a bit be a good compromise? For example, thinking "only two miles until I hit MK!" instead of "x miles left to run ... ugh." For me it definitely helps to have milestones in my head and instead of thinking about how far it is until the end, I think about hitting the next milestone.

Life: Very stressful. Big work deadline today is now out of the way, so that's good. Goal set to start running again tomorrow.

I was wondering if you'd be super busy yesterday. Next deadline is October 15th, right? (Or do you not do extensions?)
But wow, pretty crazy that you trained for a half right before a tax deadline. I wasn't thinking about that. Now I'm even more impressed with how you did!

I felt like I both set a PR and failed at the same time. But as I remembered that this race was really about Dopey testing, I came to realize that the challenges during the race were a blessing in disguise because I identified key areas to correct before the marathon. In a weird way, running a great race and accomplishing everything I wanted to may have been a disaster in the long run.

Congratulations on your PR, and congratulations on overcoming adversity to get there! As for failing, I don't believe anyone who finished any race or event ever truly "failed". Sure, sometimes we don't hit the goals we want, but that's because we decided to challenge ourselves in the first place by setting goals outside our comfort zone. If a goal is too easy, there's not much of a sense of accomplishment on meeting it. You've done enough races now to know this sport isn't easy, but you're still showing up and going forward. There's a lot to be proud of in that. I've certainly had races where things do not go as planned - poor pacing, poor training, poor weather, etc. - but I've never regretted running the race itself. I know I've given a good effort, and I can be proud of that, whatever my result was. You ran a great race and overcame some serious obstacles. Never forget that.

What went wrong: Too many things, but I've worked through them all now. Ultimately, I'm glad they did go wrong because they exposed areas I need to work on and new things to learn. Particularly the idea about not counting down how many miles I have left to go at certain points. Now I just have to figure out how to do that.

Sometimes, especially in a longer race, you've just got to forget how far you've got left to go, and just focus on the current moment. I've done several ultras, and any ultra runner will tell you that the further the event, the more mental the race is. Your body may be sore and you may be in some discomfort but, as you discovered in your half marathon, you can always tolerate it. You can usually answer "yes" to the question "can you go one more step". Our bodies are far tougher than we think they are. When I went from a 50K to a 50-miler, the real challenge was the mental part. One of the things I did was consciously try to appreciate the current moment and be grateful that I'm in that moment. I start by appreciating that I'm alive and I'm healthy enough to start this race. I think back to my training and remind myself that I put in enough work that I'll probably finish this race, too. I look around and really try to notice my environment. Most ultras are trail races, and I listen for the birds and wind and whatever other sounds there are (this is one of the reasons I never run with headphones). If the race is not in the woods, I try to read all the spectator signs I can, get as many high-fives as possible from kids, and think about how great it's going to be crossing that finish line. I also chat up my fellow racers, and I've found most of them are grateful for the distraction. I'll talk about training, other races they've done, etc. - just anything to help pass the time. If someone is struggling, I try to increase their spirits as much as I can. When you do Dopey, there are going to be so many great moments you're going to want to savor - things like running down Main Street in Magic Kingdom, passing by Everest in Animal Kingdom, and the lap through World Showcase before you finish outside EPCOT. Plus, there's going to be so many cool photo ops, on-course entertainment spots, and cool runner costumes that you'll have a lot to take in as you run. Sometimes I've even missed mile markers because I've been so distracted by all that's going on around me! So enjoy the moment when you run Dopey, and just keep moving forward. You'll be fine and you'll get to the finish eventually. As much as I love crossing the finish line in a RunDisney event, a part of me is a little sad it's over. Enjoy the experience and good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter