You on a Diet

jenrose66

DIS Veteran
Has anyone read this book or followed the plan. I have seen Dr. Oz a lot on Oprah and what he says makes sense, but man oh man is the diet restrictive. I would like to give it a try...just trying to get dh on board since he'd be making the major diet change to. Just wondering if anyone who had done the program thinks that these changes are as easy as the book makes them sound.

i have not yet...but i plan on starting Jan 3. i believe in his approach, though i agree it is restrictive and i don't do well with too much limitation. but i do think the book (if i remember in my skimming) says to start by replacing one meal, etc and working into this program and it definately focuses on NOT beating yourself up if you have a meal that doesn't follow the plan. i like that. i have been shopping more at Trader Joes and Whole Foods this past year and i really want to try incorporating more wholesome foods into our eating and see how it affects how we feel (as a family) though i know my house will not be 100% YOU-approved, i figure any moves in that direction have to be beneficial

Hi,
I am trying the YOAD way - today was my first day and I feel pretty good. A little bit of an uncomfortable belly I think because of all that fiber!!! I'm specifically trying to not count calories but just eat the right foods and hope that this will make a difference. I am going to try it this way for a month and if I am not getting results I will go back to weight watchers.
Today I had
Oatmeal with raisins, almonds, and 1/2 a banana mixed in.

Snack - small apple and 15 peanuts

Lunch- 1 cup of turkey chili with beans and a small salad with oil and vinegar

Dinner will be lemon chicken with capers over whole wheat pasta and broccoli.

I haven't figured out the dessert thing with no sugars. I don't feel hungry today and if I do I will have a piece of fruit or some carrots.

Good luck to you - there seems to be a very active message board community over on You on a diet website.

yours,
Dove:)

today is my day one for YOAD -- i went to Whole Foods market and stocked up a little on some of the foods for the first week

dove -- are you eating steel cut oats? just curious...my first batch is simmering now. the instructions said make with water but i made with soymilk (my preference over skim) oh dear...i haven't checked for my light soymilk's oz-approval?

i did pick up 2 dark chocolate bars -- 70% cocoa -- for quick desserts but i look forward to trying some of the fruit ones too

tonight i'm making the salmon with brown rice -- sounds yummy!!

and also getting back to the fitness center after a hiatus i'm quite embarassed of!

Thanks for the replies, I'm going food shopping today to buy my ingredients for the week 1 meal list. There is only one thing I don't really like about this book and that's the heavy emphasis on nuts. I am allergic to nuts (we're talking epi pen allergic to all tree nuts). The more I think about it, nuts seem to be an integral part of snacking on this plan. I'm wondering if just substituting the fruits and veggies will work or if I'll be more hungry from the lack of fat that the nuts would be providing.

that is a very good question! i'll let you know if i pick up on anything else. i did see a message board on an official Dr. Oz site http://www.realage.com/ct/shape-up-slim-down/you-on-a-diet/ at least i think it's official -- i wonder if that has been brought up there?

i did see my light soymilk has sugar in it! darn..well i made 4 days worth of steel cut oats so i'm going to go ahead and finish it up and the rest of my container than buy something else. i noticed my light yogurt has it too....

I've looked at "You On A Diet" a little. It look like a pretty healthy diet for most people, but it's more carbs than what I've been eating, so I don't think it would work well for me.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going food shopping today to buy my ingredients for the week 1 meal list. There is only one thing I don't really like about this book and that's the heavy emphasis on nuts. I am allergic to nuts (we're talking epi pen allergic to all tree nuts). The more I think about it, nuts seem to be an integral part of snacking on this plan. I'm wondering if just substituting the fruits and veggies will work or if I'll be more hungry from the lack of fat that the nuts would be providing.
Can you have seeds, such as sunflower seeds? That might be the best substitute. I also eat a lot of ground flax seeds -- flax isn't something you'd want to eat plain, but flax can be baked into many foods. (Flax can also be boiled like a hot cereal -- the taste isn't too bad, but the texture is weird.)

OhMom, I'm not sure light soymilk is available without sugar, although Soy Slender is pretty close. I also found Trader Joe's refrigerated soy milk at one Trader Joe's store, and it was only 70 calories and no added sugar, but my local Trader Joe's doesn't carry it. I generally just go with regular (non-light) unsweetened soymilk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter