You Told Us So!

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
So, first off, a huge thanks to everyone who gave us advice and tips for our current Universal/Disney trip. I just want everyone here to know that many tried to warn us we would become converted to Universal after our trip, and to those of you who did, you were right! Here’s why:

The hotel was less expensive and just as nice—We stayed at the Portofino Bay resort and were just blown away at how nice the resort was. The beds were heavenly. I ended up paying $240 a night with an AP rate, which is only a little more than half of what we are paying at the Polynesian ($457). we stayed 3 nights at Universal and we honestly all could have stayed longer.

Express Pass is 10 times better than FastPass—I am a Disney planner at heart, but Disney has taken it to a whole new level with their fast pass system to the point where it isn’t enjoyable. Universal has the Express Pass down pat. It made our trip at Universal so much more relaxing and enjoyable. We literally never waited. It spoiled us for our Disney trip. I get now why everyone said go to Universal last because the kids won’t want to wait at Disney.

More Intense Rides—So, my husband and boys loved the rides at Universal. Two of our triplets are thrill seekers and Universal is more up their alley in terms of the rides. One of our boys liked the rides at both, but is still really into Mickey.

Newer Rides—I haven’t been to Universal since 2000, and couldn’t believe how many new rides they have. It was DH’s and the boys first trip, and they kept asking me what the ride was like, and I couldn’t tell them because they were all so new. ET, Spider-Man and a few others and that’s it. Disney seems to keep rides around longer, or at least it seemed that way. I like the nostalgia, but just surprised at some of the rides that have stayed open versus the ones they have closed.

Less Expensive—Our whole experience at Universal was less expensive by an insane amount than when we compare it with Disney. We paid less for everything at Universal—tickets, food, resort. We were able to upgrade our 3 day Universal tickets for a 15 month Universal Annual Pass to $80 total for our entire family. Disney offered us a similar option, but it was like $500 per person per ticket to upgrade to a 12 month annual pass. I mean, really?? That’s not even comparable!! There’s no way we could ever justify buying annual passes at Disney at the price they are charging.

More Relaxing Vacation—Okay, so for us this was the most noticeable difference. Universal’s Express Pass made our entire vacation. Our triplet boys are 9 and do have some delays and sensory and anxiety issues. They have had a hard time at Disney with waiting in lines. But it’s not just the EP that made our Universal trip more relaxing. We also liked that we didn’t have to do ANY planning. No reservations for dinner, fast passes, or anything else. We never waited long to eat, and transportation was a piece of cake compared to Disney. Of course, Universal is smaller, which is part of it, but just seems as though Disney has gone out of their way to make things more difficult than they need to be, especially their fastpass system.

We still are enjoying our Disney stay at the Poly, and will still go back to Disney. There are definitely things that Disney does better—parades, character interaction, dinner shows, etc., but that said, we honestly plan to spend more time at Universal on our next trip. Thanks to all that gave us advice. We are so glad we gave Universal a try! We can’t wait to return!

so glad you had a great trip.

Portofino is our only hotel at US - LOVE IT!!

The reasons you highlighted are why we NEVER combine US and WDW. Each location has a very different "feel" and "tone" and approach and planning.

Ssssshhh. Let’s try to keep this our secret. Lol.

There really is nothing like Disney World, and the four parks just have so much to do, you just need so much time to do them!

Universal really is just so much more relaxing. And you really can do the parks in relatively little time.

So glad you had a great time!

Glad you loved Universal!! You summed it up perfectly!

Our October trip was to Poly/WDW, and it was "work"!

I was glued to my phone, trying to rearrange FP+, get better times, etc. And we still weren't able to ride a few of the headliners. We had no interest in waiting almost 2 hours for Slinky Dog Dash.

And making dining 180 days ahead was a joke! But completely necessary if you wanted anything but counter service, since it was during Food and Dining and MNSSHP. I don't know a week ahead where/what I want to eat when at home, lol!

Fall seems to be the new crazy season, and it showed...I'd never seen the parks busier in the 20 years I've been going to WDW! (we don't schedule Xmas or Easter)

Did we have a great time? Yes! We were celebrating DD's bday, and we always have a blast when together!
Will we be back? Mostly likely, since DD (and us too) has many happy memories spent at WDW. Probably will wait a few years though...

We have a Universal trip planned for March. I have airfare and a hotel reservation. That's it!!
The rest I can figure out as we go. Love it!!

what a great review - and as a diehard WDW nut and fairly recent UO convert, I also agree. I love both parks and especially WDW during the holidays, but one must definitely spend far more money, time and effort these days and get less in return than in past years.

There's something so carefree and relaxing about UO...and I love their seasonal events like HHN and Mardi Gras. I have APs to both parks, but can honestly say I'm drawn more to UO these days.

The relaxedness is what we enjoyed the most two. You want to go on the ride 5 times in a row-sure with ep. want to take a break? Sure no prob as you can walk back in 10 min.

We are going for 6 nights this summer we enjoyed our first trip so much. I’m looking forward to some pool hopping.

While I personally prefer the less simulation rides of Disney. We all agreed universal is so much more relaxing that it will be our go to as long as our son prefers it.

We started our Orlando trips alternating years WDW & UO. Then we started to go more to WDW, 2x a year. Then past few years down to once a year.
Our last UO trip (4 yrs who)we combined with WDW. Stayed at Portofino for first 4 nights then went to GF. Both the flagship resorts but I felt Portofino was much more deluxe than GF and as OP mentioned, half the price.
Universal resorts in every category gives you more bang for your buck imo.

I think we are starting to swing back to more Universal stays. We have 10 days booked at Universal for April/May. Staying at RPH on SMSM rate. Same price WDW is charging for a moderate. And tickets so much cheaper. WDW is finally pricing many out. For the first time in years we are skipping WDW in August. We will probably go for 6 days to Disneyland instead. We are on the west coast so a cheaper trip for us.

Glad you had a great time! We also love the Poly, but love the Universal hotels as well. Until our recent stay in mid December, HR is our favorite, but we stayed at Sapphire Falls, saved $, stayed on a very inexpensive AP rate, loved it! Didn't miss EP 2 of the days, which were weekdays, on Saturday of the trip, it was crowded, so we missed the EP. Its fun to do a split of a few days at Universal, followed by Disney. :cheer2::banana:

Glad to hear you guys had fun and liked it. Agree to about Disney being too planned out. I understand the meal reservations as stuff just books up but I wish they'd go back the the old FastPass system where you just picked them up inside the park and not planning them out 3 months in advance like you have to. Also agree about the hotel situation. I love Disney's sprawling and detailed resorts but they are so expensive to stay at. Usually have done value resorts which are pretty basic since my parents got rid of DVC. LAst time my husband and I went to universal we stayed on site there for the first time and were at Cabana Bay. For a value resort they really raise the bar. Used to Disney having basic motel set up with jsut a bunch of big prop theming and small basic "neighborhood" style pools. But Cabana Bay was more traditional hotel with lots of stuff to do and multiple pools with theming and slides/lazy river plus sandy beach area with fire pits and games. It was amazing. loved it better than most of the pools for the moderate resorts at Disney even. Plus the views of Volcano Bay next door give it a nice picturesque setting

So, first off, a huge thanks to everyone who gave us advice and tips for our current Universal/Disney trip. I just want everyone here to know that many tried to warn us we would become converted to Universal after our trip, and to those of you who did, you were right! Here’s why:

The hotel was less expensive and just as nice—We stayed at the Portofino Bay resort and were just blown away at how nice the resort was. The beds were heavenly. I ended up paying $240 a night with an AP rate, which is only a little more than half of what we are paying at the Polynesian ($457). we stayed 3 nights at Universal and we honestly all could have stayed longer.

Express Pass is 10 times better than FastPass—I am a Disney planner at heart, but Disney has taken it to a whole new level with their fast pass system to the point where it isn’t enjoyable. Universal has the Express Pass down pat. It made our trip at Universal so much more relaxing and enjoyable. We literally never waited. It spoiled us for our Disney trip. I get now why everyone said go to Universal last because the kids won’t want to wait at Disney.

More Intense Rides—So, my husband and boys loved the rides at Universal. Two of our triplets are thrill seekers and Universal is more up their alley in terms of the rides. One of our boys liked the rides at both, but is still really into Mickey.

Newer Rides—I haven’t been to Universal since 2000, and couldn’t believe how many new rides they have. It was DH’s and the boys first trip, and they kept asking me what the ride was like, and I couldn’t tell them because they were all so new. ET, Spider-Man and a few others and that’s it. Disney seems to keep rides around longer, or at least it seemed that way. I like the nostalgia, but just surprised at some of the rides that have stayed open versus the ones they have closed.

Less Expensive—Our whole experience at Universal was less expensive by an insane amount than when we compare it with Disney. We paid less for everything at Universal—tickets, food, resort. We were able to upgrade our 3 day Universal tickets for a 15 month Universal Annual Pass to $80 total for our entire family. Disney offered us a similar option, but it was like $500 per person per ticket to upgrade to a 12 month annual pass. I mean, really?? That’s not even comparable!! There’s no way we could ever justify buying annual passes at Disney at the price they are charging.

More Relaxing Vacation—Okay, so for us this was the most noticeable difference. Universal’s Express Pass made our entire vacation. Our triplet boys are 9 and do have some delays and sensory and anxiety issues. They have had a hard time at Disney with waiting in lines. But it’s not just the EP that made our Universal trip more relaxing. We also liked that we didn’t have to do ANY planning. No reservations for dinner, fast passes, or anything else. We never waited long to eat, and transportation was a piece of cake compared to Disney. Of course, Universal is smaller, which is part of it, but just seems as though Disney has gone out of their way to make things more difficult than they need to be, especially their fastpass system.

We still are enjoying our Disney stay at the Poly, and will still go back to Disney. There are definitely things that Disney does better—parades, character interaction, dinner shows, etc., but that said, we honestly plan to spend more time at Universal on our next trip. Thanks to all that gave us advice. We are so glad we gave Universal a try! We can’t wait to return!

I'm so glad you enjoyed Universal. Your post makes me want to plan a trip back!

We have to do both Uni and WDW in the same trip, we come from Australia so not so easy to just "pop over"
The only thing I don't like about Uni is the insane amount of screen rides they have. They really need to up the game to be on par with WDW in terms of the types of rides they offer. In terms of service, theming etc they are right up there with WDW though and yes it is a lot less expensive too.

yea both parks still have their pros and cons to them. Definitely some stuff I prefer at Disney over Universal still. But Universal has some major perks over Disney too. Universal has really increased their immersive theming and quality ever since their first Harry Potter area. Once they open their 3rd theme parks it will really be evening better too. One of Disney's biggest pluses is the sheer aount fo stuff it has to do but if Universal keeps expanding it will really close that gap.

We have to do both Uni and WDW in the same trip, we come from Australia so not so easy to just "pop over"
The only thing I don't like about Uni is the insane amount of screen rides they have. They really need to up the game to be on par with WDW in terms of the types of rides they offer. In terms of service, theming etc they are right up there with WDW though and yes it is a lot less expensive too.

I completely agree with this. I was pleased to see some of the newer rides included more animatronics, but did find far too many 3D type of attractions at Universal. I’m in the minority in my family. I love things that are visual, like It’s a Small World and Na’vi River Journey. My DH and 2 of our boys, though, like the simulator and 3D rides better. I find there are more educational experiences at Disney, which are important to me as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter