You Told Us So!

I haven't been to US since I was 6. This post scares me! I think of those Hulu commercials where they say things like, "Don't ever fly first class. It'll ruin economy forever." lol

I'm thinking about a 2020 US trip at Cabana Bay. I've been pricing out some options and doing some very preliminary research. I doubt I'll ever swear off of Disney. I am slightly worried that all this time I've been funneling money into Disney vacations when I'd actually prefer Universal, but there's only one way to find out!

I'm glad you had such an amazing trip and I appreciate the comparisons. I find them to be very helpful.

I haven't been to US since I was 6. This post scares me! I think of those Hulu commercials where they say things like, "Don't ever fly first class. It'll ruin economy forever." lol

I'm thinking about a 2020 US trip at Cabana Bay. I've been pricing out some options and doing some very preliminary research. I doubt I'll ever swear off of Disney. I am slightly worried that all this time I've been funneling money into Disney vacations when I'd actually prefer Universal, but there's only one way to find out!

I'm glad you had such an amazing trip and I appreciate the comparisons. I find them to be very helpful.

Thank you! If you do plan to stay at Cabana Bay, I would encourage you to consider staying one night at either Portofino Bay, Royal Pacific or Hard Rock so that you will have 2 days of the Express Pass and not have to wait in line at Universal. That really made our whole trip. I mean, who wants to spend 2 hours plus in a line for a ride?

So, first off, a huge thanks to everyone who gave us advice and tips for our current Universal/Disney trip. I just want everyone here to know that many tried to warn us we would become converted to Universal after our trip, and to those of you who did, you were right! Here’s why:

The hotel was less expensive and just as nice—We stayed at the Portofino Bay resort and were just blown away at how nice the resort was. The beds were heavenly. I ended up paying $240 a night with an AP rate, which is only a little more than half of what we are paying at the Polynesian ($457). we stayed 3 nights at Universal and we honestly all could have stayed longer.

Express Pass is 10 times better than FastPass—I am a Disney planner at heart, but Disney has taken it to a whole new level with their fast pass system to the point where it isn’t enjoyable. Universal has the Express Pass down pat. It made our trip at Universal so much more relaxing and enjoyable. We literally never waited. It spoiled us for our Disney trip. I get now why everyone said go to Universal last because the kids won’t want to wait at Disney.

More Intense Rides—So, my husband and boys loved the rides at Universal. Two of our triplets are thrill seekers and Universal is more up their alley in terms of the rides. One of our boys liked the rides at both, but is still really into Mickey.

Newer Rides—I haven’t been to Universal since 2000, and couldn’t believe how many new rides they have. It was DH’s and the boys first trip, and they kept asking me what the ride was like, and I couldn’t tell them because they were all so new. ET, Spider-Man and a few others and that’s it. Disney seems to keep rides around longer, or at least it seemed that way. I like the nostalgia, but just surprised at some of the rides that have stayed open versus the ones they have closed.

Less Expensive—Our whole experience at Universal was less expensive by an insane amount than when we compare it with Disney. We paid less for everything at Universal—tickets, food, resort. We were able to upgrade our 3 day Universal tickets for a 15 month Universal Annual Pass to $80 total for our entire family. Disney offered us a similar option, but it was like $500 per person per ticket to upgrade to a 12 month annual pass. I mean, really?? That’s not even comparable!! There’s no way we could ever justify buying annual passes at Disney at the price they are charging.

More Relaxing Vacation—Okay, so for us this was the most noticeable difference. Universal’s Express Pass made our entire vacation. Our triplet boys are 9 and do have some delays and sensory and anxiety issues. They have had a hard time at Disney with waiting in lines. But it’s not just the EP that made our Universal trip more relaxing. We also liked that we didn’t have to do ANY planning. No reservations for dinner, fast passes, or anything else. We never waited long to eat, and transportation was a piece of cake compared to Disney. Of course, Universal is smaller, which is part of it, but just seems as though Disney has gone out of their way to make things more difficult than they need to be, especially their fastpass system.

We still are enjoying our Disney stay at the Poly, and will still go back to Disney. There are definitely things that Disney does better—parades, character interaction, dinner shows, etc., but that said, we honestly plan to spend more time at Universal on our next trip. Thanks to all that gave us advice. We are so glad we gave Universal a try! We can’t wait to return!

You can upgrade your tickets to an AP?? We're staying at RP with a 3-Park Unlimited Ticket - is this something I can do from the hotel's Universal concierge/ticket desk?

This is what happened with us. Any time I think about going back to Disney World, I start thinking about the buses, the reservations, the cost of everything and the lack of Express and I ask "Why would I ever go back to that?" We haven't been back since.

Our first stay was at Cabana Bay which we liked. But once we made the step up to deluxe, we decided we needed free EP. Last year we stayed st Portofino Bay for the first time and loved it. This year, we're trying out Club Level and I expect a new standard will be set.

Yes, this is all very expensive. But your dollar goes a lot farther than it would at Disney.

You can upgrade your tickets to a 2 park ap or the 3 park ap

Premier
Preferred
Power
Seasonal

I have the preferred ap

Check the website for pricing and perks for each ap level

We loved Portofino. The only con was not having a laundry facility. Don’t get me wrong, my goal is to NOT do laundry on vacation, but we are limited because we fly, so have to sometimes wash just the basics.
No laundry at Portofino? That's surprising. We always have a laundry night at RPR. That way we can stay 10 nights with only carry on.

You can upgrade your tickets to an AP?? We're staying at RP with a 3-Park Unlimited Ticket - is this something I can do from the hotel's Universal concierge/ticket desk?

Yes! That’s exactly what we did. It literally cost us $80 ($20 for each adult ticket and $10 for each child’s ticket). We only had the 2 park hopper ticket, so to upgrade to a 3 park Preferred I’m guessing will be more. We went with the basic seasonal pass. So glad we did, we ended up being able to secure an AP rate for both Sapphire Falls and RP when we were stranded due to Storm Harped at the end of our trip. We went to the front desk and asked to be directed to the universal ticket Center at the hotel, which I believe was the Concierge services.

No laundry at Portofino? That's surprising. We always have a laundry night at RPR. That way we can stay 10 nights with only carry on.

Yes! This surprised us as well. They have a laundry service that you can pay for, but I’m guessing it would be out of our price range.

This is what happened with us. Any time I think about going back to Disney World, I start thinking about the buses, the reservations, the cost of everything and the lack of Express and I ask "Why would I ever go back to that?" We haven't been back since.

Our first stay was at Cabana Bay which we liked. But once we made the step up to deluxe, we decided we needed free EP. Last year we stayed st Portofino Bay for the first time and loved it. This year, we're trying out Club Level and I expect a new standard will be set.

Yes, this is all very expensive. But your dollar goes a lot farther than it would at Disney.

We regretted not going with Club Level. It was nice to try out the restaurants at the resorts, but I think it would have been more convenient and less expensive to have gone Club Level, especially for a party of 5.

We regretted not going with Club Level. It was nice to try out the restaurants at the resorts, but I think it would have been more convenient and less expensive to have gone Club Level, especially for a party of 5.

That's the thinking this time out. We tend to spend a fair amount of time at the hotels on vacation. We liked RPR and PB a lot. But the common complaint was that the affordable food service was lacking. I never thought I'd see the day when I would miss a Disney food court! PB has Sal's which is a great option. Good food at affordable for Orlando prices, but the menu is limited.

We're a family of 4 so I figure the upcharge breaks down to $25 per person per night. If we eat breakfast plus one other meal/snack at the club lounge per day, I think we just about break even. If we can eat two meals a day (breakfast and dinner), we're ahead. Anything on top of that (snacks, drinks, etc) makes it a deal. It's all going to depend on how much you use the benefit. Based on our habits, I think Club will be worth it for us.

For a family of five, obviously the math is even more in favor of the club upcharge. We had breakfast at Trattoria Del Porto and it was $20 per person. Obviously the selection was better than what's offered in the club, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. But still... You're just about breaking even on breakfast alone for a family of five. Go there twice a day and you're definitely coming out ahead.

Whenever I have friends making a split trip, I advise them to go to UO last. It’s hard getting into the WDW pace after leisurely wandering the parks with a resort EP.

Whenever I have friends making a split trip, I advise them to go to UO last. It’s hard getting into the WDW pace after leisurely wandering the parks with a resort EP.

We honestly didn’t understand this suggestion until we experienced it ourselves, but it’s 100% true!

We honestly didn’t understand this suggestion until we experienced it ourselves, but it’s 100% true!
I think the reason why people want to end their trips at WDW is normally because there's such an emotional attachment to Disney and often the strongest voices for that advice are ones who are more emotionally tied to WDW over Universal.

Depending on one's FP strategy that can also make a difference due to the onsite perk of being able to book not only at 60 days but also for their length of stay. If the WDW portion of the trip is offsite there's not the advantage there.

In terms of park touring def. easier to relax at Universal after a generally speaking go go go mentality of WDW.

Personally I enjoyed alternating the days between WDW and Universal because it helped us keep our energy up, not feel bored at either one, change of pace, etc BUT because both companies have lowered the amount of days the tickets are good for from first usage it's put a crimp in that normal to us touring style.

I had a Facebook memory from 2014 recently, written after returning from WDW. I said we would probably be going back to Disney in 2016. We went to Universal in 2015 and 3 more times since. No plans to get back to WDW anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter