You win some you booze some, a HOT August 2017 dining report! complete 1/25*

And, we are back from our quick F&W trip! As anxious as I was with Ricky's surgery being 2 days after we got home, I managed to have fun. The weather was gorgeous the food was delicious and we had some great DIS company! Before I get back to our August trip I'll do a very quick recap of this past adults only vaca for you :thumbsup2
I started this Thursday, and Ricky had his surgery today. All went well, very well in fact as far as the surgery goes. My poor baby was SO nervous this morning and not happy when they put the first IV in, but when it was over he said it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. The anesthesia made him sick so we were there longer than anticipated, but we've been home about 5 hours now and he's propped up comfortably in bed playing NBA 2K on PS4 with his friends :rolleyes: He had two nerve blocks in his knee and they're just now starting to wear off so he's beginning to feel some pain which I think will increase tomorrow but we're all just so happy this is done with and he can start recovery! We see the surgeon again on the 27th and as long as he can put all his weight on that leg he'll begin physical therapy after that. Until then it's crutches while putting as much weight as possible on that leg right from the beginning. Thank you everyone for asking about him and for all your positive thoughts and comments :hug:
So glad Ricky's surgery went well and that you were able to enjoy your trip! I'm pretty sure my boyfriend tore his meniscus and is going to have surgery over Thanksgiving so I might be joining you in the nurse department soon!

img_7450-jpg.282640

Pulled Pork Nachos:
Polynesian Chips topped with Pork, Cheese, Pineapple Salsa, and spicy Mayonnaise
Holy Moly these were delicious! Steve's potstickers were the same as you get at 'Ohana which I normally love, but eating them with the nachos made them pretty boring. Everything about these nachos was perfection! the pork was tender and flavorful and the spicy mayo was fantastic.
I also had the Island Sunset and Steve continued his love affair with the Disney Moscow Mule:

img_7449-jpg.282641

Island Sunset:
Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Coruba Coconut Rum, and Peach combined with our Guava-Passion Fruit Juice
I plan on getting those nachos and your drink along with some bread pudding when we stay at the Poly this trip

I on the other hand tried a Marger's Pear Hard Cider from the little kiosk-stand that's always set up outside R&C:

img_7520-jpg.282762

Steve thought the beer was really good and the cider is now a new WS fave for me! It was nice and bubbly with a light pear taste and unlike many other ciders, NOT overly sweet.
That pear cider sounds really good! Is it there all the time or only during F&W?

All went well, very well in fact as far as the surgery goes.
Oh, I'm so glad to hear this Ariane! I can only imagine the relief you all must feel that this part is over and now the recovery is underway! :hug:

Your shirts are amazing!!! I want them both :thumbsup2

and figured what the hell, I'm already disgustingly full so let's eat more!
If you only knew how often this applied to my life... :rolleyes1

then watched the BaTB show for the first time in forever - see what I did there?
:laughing:

when Steve made what is probably his best suggestion since he suggested we get married
:rotfl: Sounds like an amazing meal at Tiffins, excited to hear more! :thumbsup2

Hi Ariane! I'm so happy to hear Ricky's surgery went well! I was thinking about you this week, and hoping for an awesome outcome!
Again, it was a pleasure meeting you and Steve and I can't wait to see the 2 of you in March (and meet your sons)...You 2 were awesome, and Joe and i look forward to hangin' with you again!!!

Soo glad we got to catch up on this trip!!! Looks like you had some fabulous meals! Yum Tiffins...I always want to try something new but we keep going back to it, it's becoming a staple for us! We really enjoyed our lunch there this past trip!! And those Poly pulled pork nachos...looks amazing! I totally want to try then now!

Glad your son is recovering well!
Good eats all around it seems!
I'm both happy and not that Nomad Lounge is now so popular, obviously it is amazing, and I want it to stay, but I also want it to stay quiet and available. LOL!! Selfish, selfish ;)

I love the pulled pork nachos that they serve at the Polynesian. They are the reason we make the trip over to that resort. But the pot stickers at Yak & Yeti are the ones we like best. All other pot stickers come up short.

Once again we intended to make it over to one of the Food & Wine concerts when we were in Epcot last month, and once again we never made it. We enjoyed some good food, though, and the loaded mac and cheese did not disappoint.

Last edited:
I’m so glad Ricky’s surgery went well :hug:

Love your view from Tuvalu. What a great way to start off your trip with a DIS meet.
Yum Tambu lounge is the best. We love the pot stickers and your nachos look great.
I always get the Lapu Lapu but your Island Sunset does look good.
Steve and his Mules it’s like his love for 7DMT :rotfl:
The food and drinks at F & W all look so good. That’s great you were able to meet up with Su-Lynn and Steve again.
One of the things I’m looking forward to staying at the BC is walking over each evening to sample each of the countries :drinking1
I usually stick with the slushees in France but I’m looking forward to venturing out ;)

How did you like CS ? Do you have any pics of the refurbed rooms?

Your meal at Tiffins looks amazing. Looking forward to reading more.

I'm so happy that Ricky's surgery went well and is now behind you! Here's wishing him a speedy recovery so he can get back to doing what he loves!

I'm glad the surgery went well! Hopefully recovery will be smooth!

So glad Ricky's surgery went well and that you were able to enjoy your trip! I'm pretty sure my boyfriend tore his meniscus and is going to have surgery over Thanksgiving so I might be joining you in the nurse department soon!
Oh no! I do hope it's NOT the meniscus :( Best wishes to him and if he does need surgery I hope all goes well.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this Ariane! I can only imagine the relief you all must feel that this part is over and now the recovery is underway! :hug:

Hi Ariane! I'm so happy to hear Ricky's surgery went well! I was thinking about you this week, and hoping for an awesome outcome!

Glad your son is recovering well!

I’m so glad Ricky’s surgery went well :hug:

Thank you all :hug: It's a huge relief that we're past the surgery. Yesterday, the day after the surgery, ended up being HARD. Really hard. Pain was tons worse than we imagined and he couldn't get out of bed for anything. It was somewhat better this morning and we made him get up, because the longer he didn't move/bend/straighten his leg the harder it would be when he finally did. We made him move downstairs and 7 of his friends came over with pizza. Some are still here :goodvibes He's been laughing up a storm with them and got up to use the bathroom on his own once they got here so I really think it was a great thing having them come. Each day will get better and hopefully by Wed. or Thurs he's back at school!

Lol! It was great meeting you and Steve! But how come I look like I just got off a 3 hour plane ride, and not you?! What a wrinkly mess I am!:rotfl:
LOL! I used the other picture I had of us in my TR but I think you look fine in both!

Aw, Mike is going to be jealous! We just got one button when we went. I didn't realize you could ask for more?
We actually just asked for "our buttons" and the CM asked if we had Sept. and Oct. buttons. When we said no she gave us all of them :goodvibes
I'm disappointed I didn't try more ciders since I've recently decided that I like them. It just didn't occur for some reason :confused3
I've just recently gotten into ciders so I was happy they had a few at the F&W booths. The pear one at the kiosk in the U.K. was a total (and pleasant) surprise!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Biergarten! I just picked up a Candlelight Processional lunch there. Our budget weekend trip next month is quickly becoming less budget as we add that, consider adding a day to go to the Christmas party... :rotfl:
Doesn't this always happen??? I had booked POP for our March trip with my TA rate; wasn't thrilled but wanted to keep the cost down because we have Ricky's 16th bday right after. Well since nobody was happy we are now at CCV. Way less than rack rate since it's still with my TA rate but like, 4x the price of POP!

That pear cider sounds really good! Is it there all the time or only during F&W?
I want to say it is since it's at a permanent kiosk and not a booth. I'll know for sure in March because I'll be going back for more :drinking1

Your shirts are amazing!!! I want them both :thumbsup2
Well I can't speak for Kelly's @buzzrelly but I bought mine in HS back in Aug. and they still had it all over last week :goodvibes

If you only knew how often this applied to my life... :rolleyes1
:laughing:

Again, it was a pleasure meeting you and Steve and I can't wait to see the 2 of you in March (and meet your sons)...You 2 were awesome, and Joe and i look forward to hangin' with you again!!!
Can't wait to see you guys either!!! I need to move on our plans and ADR's :surfweb: and then when it's closer we'll see where we'll both be and when!

Soo glad we got to catch up on this trip!!!
So are we! Now if you don't keep to your "no WDW in 2018" thing, maybe we'll see each other in the not so distant future :)

Yum Tiffins...I always want to try something new but we keep going back to it, it's becoming a staple for us!
I get you, that's how I am with Citricos. But I'm so glad I tried something different this time because it was fabulous, but if it's offered again next time we visit I'd probably go with that again rather than something else new :laughing:

I'm both happy and not that Nomad Lounge is now so popular, obviously it is amazing, and I want it to stay, but I also want it to stay quiet and available. LOL!! Selfish, selfish ;)
I agree. the first time we went, we felt like we new a secret hardly anyone else knew. And like there'd always be a place we could go to chill, have a drink, and a last-minute TS meal if we wanted. Well we were still able to get our reservation an hour or so before hand but chilling in the lounge was obviously a no-go! And TONS of people came in while we were standing in the lounge with our drinks it was crazy. I'm willing to bet in another few months, it won't be so easy to come by last minute ADR's :rolleyes:

I love the pulled pork nachos that they serve at the Polynesian. They are the reason we make the trip over to that resort. But the pot stckers at Tusker House are the ones we like best. All other pot stickers come up short.
I would definitely make a trip there just for the nachos and I think Steve would, too! We've done TH as recently as August, but I don't think I ever noticed pot stickers there? And that's surprising because all 4 of us enjoy them!

Once again we intended to make it over to one of the Food & Wine concerts when we were in Epcot last month, and once again we never made it.
I've made it a point the last few years when we're there during concerts to watch if it's someone we like. Sitting there with a drink listening to (quite often) '80's music which is my favorite is very relaxing and enjoyable.

We enjoyed some good food, though, and the loaded mac and cheese did not disappoint.
That's one I unfortunately wanted to try and didn't get to! But we enjoyed many things there as well.

I always get the Lapu Lapu but your Island Sunset does look good.
Normally I get the Lapu Lapu but decided to try something new :) I admit I was a little jealous each time the bartender made one though, and I will get one the next time we're there!

How did you like CS ? Do you have any pics of the refurbed rooms?
LOVED it. Love the refurbed rooms, I do have pics I'll post on my TR. Everything about the room was fresh and clean and we enjoyed the resort as much as when we stayed there in 2014. Yes there's construction and we could see it from outside our room on the 3rd floor, and walking around during the day you heard beeping and stuff, but very unobtrusive really. We'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Your November trip looks so fun! And so much yummy food. I think it's really cool how you were able to meet up with so many people from here too in such a short trip.

That's too bad that your soup was cold. I think that one wasn't the norm because when I got it, it was really hot.

Thank you all :hug: It's a huge relief that we're past the surgery. Yesterday, the day after the surgery, ended up being HARD. Really hard. Pain was tons worse than we imagined and he couldn't get out of bed for anything. It was somewhat better this morning and we made him get up, because the longer he didn't move/bend/straighten his leg the harder it would be when he finally did. We made him move downstairs and 7 of his friends came over with pizza. Some are still here :goodvibes He's been laughing up a storm with them and got up to use the bathroom on his own once they got here so I really think it was a great thing having them come. Each day will get better and hopefully by Wed. or Thurs he's back at school!

There's nothing worse than seeing your child in pain :hug: He's a tough kid and sounds like he has a great support system with his family and friends!

We actually just asked for "our buttons" and the CM asked if we had Sept. and Oct. buttons. When we said no she gave us all of them :goodvibes

Aw! Lucky you :thumbsup2…unlucky us :guilty:

We'll just have to go back and get more next year!

Can't wait to see you guys either!!! I need to move on our plans and ADR's :surfweb: and then when it's closer we'll see where we'll both be and when!

We aren't doing any parks, UNLESS Tim has a day off, and then the park will be a last minute decision (because it will be free)...:P

Glad to hear Ricky is doing well! your food from brown derby looks very good, happy to hear good reviews.

Tiffins Nov. lunch, continued

I'm going to jump right back in to our Tiffins lunch, where I left off with my incredible entree. Now for Steve's entree he chose a swordfish dish that was on the Chef's Tasting menu

IMG_7576.JPG

He ate every bite of this and declared it delicious, just like everything else at Tiffins. That's the same black rice that came with mine. Next came my favorite part of every meal - dessert!!!

IMG_7578.JPG

Here we have the South African Chocolate Ganache, Guava Mousse with a Graham Cracker bottom and a layer of Raspberry Jam, and Lime Cheesecake. This is proof there is some type of higher power above us because while I didn't fall completely in love with the Guava Mousse, it was delicious. However the chocolate ganache (which I had in March) and that lime cheesecake were beyond perfection.
I want to eat here EVERY TRIP. That's how much I love this place. I think it has taken the spot of "our favorite signature". I also think I may take the boys in March; Chris can try the wagyu since he's a meat eater and Ricky will be open to trying whatever type of chicken dish they're offering at the time. It's just that fantastic. I know the menu can and does scare people away because, as the couple who got seated next to us during our dessert course said, "this isn't normal food" lol, but really it isn't that far off! I'm not really that adventurous an eater and keep in mind I don't eat any seafood or veer from beef, chicken, the occasional pork for meats and I adore this place. What I'm saying is,
GO!!!! Not to mention they give you neat stuff when you leave; on our first visit we got an awesome Joe Rohde print as I know many of you did. So on this visit Angela our server asked which print we had. I told her it was like a market place print. She knew which one I was talking about and came back with a different one. And, because we were return guests :D we got some dark chocolate bark, too!!

IMG_7579.JPG

How great is this side-view lol? The bark was delicious and I've put the warthog print with our market place print. I don't have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our meal here and will be back, hopefully in just over 4 months. Good suggestion, Steve! He definitely got points for that.

We used our EE FP and then left to go back to Coronado. We were a little beat at this point and had to rest up for a big adult night out at Epcot, doing some eating and drinking with the ever popular Stone @kastoney family! Minus the youngest Stone, who was enjoying some time at the Sandcastle Club. So after a little rest and relaxation at CSR we hopped a bus to Epcot and met up with Mr. and Mrs. in WS. Our first stop was France which we hadn't visited yet. Steve tried the Boeuf Bourguignon, Puree de Pommes de Terre-Cabernet Sauvignon-braised Beef with Mashed Potatoes:

IMG_7582.JPG

He said this was ok, the flavor wasn't as strong as he'd hoped and the potatoes not as smooth.
I was itching to try the F&W version of the slushy:La Passion Martini Slush:

IMG_7583.JPG

This was......eh. Definitely not the La Vie En Rose from F&G nor my Grey Goose slush. I finished it don't get me wrong, but it was kind of on the bland side? Not something I'd get again.
From France we continued our search for drink and snack and ended up at Hops and Barley although we may have stopped somewhere else along the way for Kari and Jason to grab something. Here I got the Freshly Baked Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Icing:

IMG_7586.JPG

"Do you see what I seeeeeee......." Look at all that sweet, sweet icing dripping down the sides and off the plate :cloud9: This was delicious if you like carrot cake. It was moist :P and carrot-y sweet and as for the frosting, well, I think the picture speaks for itself.
I didn't get anything to drink here but Steve tried the Orange Blossom Brewing Foxtail Cold Brew Coffee Pilsner:

IMG_7587.JPG

I'll sum this up quick: this s&@* was nasty. It smelled like coffee and had a bad coffee/beer taste. Unlike our friends, Steve did not finish this!

Westward, HO! Although I really don't know what direction we were walking......our next booth was in Italy where Steve and I mangia'd on some Absolut Penne: Vodka Sauce with Shrimp and I had some Prosecco:

IMG_7588.JPG

Was I trying to take an artsy Italian photograph, or am I just a bad photographer? You be the judge! I have to say we were both pleasantly surprised by this dish because Italy does not get high praise at the Epcot festivals. We felt the same way at the F&G festival with their food; it was good! Of course I didn't eat the shrimp but I ended up eating most of the penne, which had a very nice but faint heat to it. The prosecco? Perfectly bubbly.

We continued our trek around the world and next came to Japan, another booth Steve and I hadn't hit up yet. Both Steve and I and Kari and Jason got the Wasabi Shumai Steamed Pork Dumplings:

dumplings.jpg

I know this isn't the most appetizing photo but it was dark out, and these were dee-lish. I did pour soy sauce all over them so they were incredibly salty but that's the way I like my dumplings. We took our food over by the.......tall tower in Japan where the drummers perform and sat on a wall, and I remember the conversation getting a little dirty but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what was said. I do know it was good that Casey wasn't there, and while our boys would have understood what was being said it was also better that they were in NY!
To go with the above dumplings I tried the Pom Pineapple Saki Cocktail:

japandrink.jpg

It's a tiny little drink! Reminiscent of my tiny cup of sangria from Tangerine Cafe which was not from a festival and for which I paid double what I paid for this, but whatever. I really liked this even though I don't necessarily think it tasted like pineapple. It was sweet, though!

Since I'm at my picture limit for this post I'll stop here, and come back soon to finish up our evening and move on to our last full park day. Also want to add that Ricky is much improved today! The pain is lessening so he isn't needing the pain medication as frequently. He can also walk better-not well, but better-but more weight on his leg and straighten it more. He's probably going to practice tomorrow night and we're looking at at least a half day of school Wed. Having all his friends here Sunday and two more today really lifted his spirits :goodvibes

I'm so enjoying your report and now I'm drooling for Tiffins!

I have a travel question that I hope you don't mind: did you take a taxi to save time? Was it expensive? Even though I kind of love the ME, I've been wondering if it would make sense to consider a taxi. I have rented a car and driven straight to the parks and was amazed at how quick that was. We are flying from ALB and getting in at 10 a.m. and have a lunch reservation for 1:10 p.m. at Skipper Canteen, which I think should be doable, but we have to head to POR first with ME. Thanks in advance!

So glad Ricky is doing so good.
Your Tiffins lunch looks amazeballs. It's so hard for me not to change our Y&Y ressy to Tiffins, my mouth waters everytime I see someone's photo of the Octopus. So nice to see all you dismeets. I'm jealous.

Here we have the South African Chocolate Ganache, Guava Mousse with a Graham Cracker bottom and a layer of Raspberry Jam, and Lime Cheesecake. This is proof there is some type of higher power above us because while I didn't fall completely in love with the Guava Mousse, it was delicious. However the chocolate ganache (which I had in March) and that lime cheesecake were beyond perfection.

These all look so cute and little! I had the Chocolate Ganache and it was sooo good.

"Do you see what I seeeeeee......." Look at all that sweet, sweet icing dripping down the sides and off the plate :cloud9: This was delicious if you like carrot cake. It was moist :P and carrot-y sweet and as for the frosting, well, I think the picture speaks for itself.

Yum I loved this too.

Also want to add that Ricky is much improved today! The pain is lessening so he isn't needing the pain medication as frequently. He can also walk better-not well, but better-but more weight on his leg and straighten it more. He's probably going to practice tomorrow night and we're looking at at least a half day of school Wed. Having all his friends here Sunday and two more today really lifted his spirits

That's good to hear! Glad he's doing better.

Next came my favorite part of every meal - dessert!!!
Oooooh, mine, too! :thumbsup2

I finished it don't get me wrong
:rotfl: I would have been disappointed if you didn't!

Freshly Baked Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Icing
YUM! Omg. This is one of the few desserts (in my opinion) that can be as good as chocolate.... sometimes. ;)

Westward, HO! Although I really don't know what direction we were walking......
:rotfl2:

Also want to add that Ricky is much improved today!
Oh I'm so glad to hear this! You'll have to keep us posted about how his return to school goes. And so glad his friends have been so supportive :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter