Young with health problems

Ambshley

Earning My Ears
I'm 29 years old and have a lot of health issues that I've been dealing with. Carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. I also have a fracture in my lumbar spine with herniated and slipped discs, and both of my kneecaps dislocate because of a car accident (hit by a texting driver).
I have some good days, but I also have really bad days, and walking 14-16 hours a day is quite challenge. I have read on many blogs that Disney is very picky about who they rent out scooters and wheelchairs to because people take advantage of the rentals, and the people who really need them tend to miss out. I just want to know if I'm going to have any problems if I end up needing a scooter or wheelchair because I'm young (and a little bit on the bigger side) and they think I'm just being lazy? Any tips?

I'm 29 years old and have a lot of health issues that I've been dealing with. Carpal tunnel, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis. I also have a fracture in my lumbar spine with herniated and slipped discs, and both of my kneecaps dislocate because of a car accident (hit by a texting driver).
I have some good days, but I also have really bad days, and walking 14-16 hours a day is quite challenge. I have read on many blogs that Disney is very picky about who they rent out scooters and wheelchairs to because people take advantage of the rentals, and the people who really need them tend to miss out. I just want to know if I'm going to have any problems if I end up needing a scooter or wheelchair because I'm young (and a little bit on the bigger side) and they think I'm just being lazy? Any tips?

I've never heard that Disney limits who they rent their wheelchairs/ECVS too. Actually, I've never heard them ask why anyone needed one. No need to worry about that.

The only trouble you might end up having is that there are a limited number - if they've rented them out for the day, they will not be able to rent one to you (unless, of course, someone returns the one that they have).

That is why many suggested renting from an outside company (plus the outside company route is much cheaper).

I agree with PP's, to my knowledge WDW does not restrict their rentals, other than i believe one must be 18 years old to rent or use an ECV.

I also recommend doing an off site rental. You are guaranteed to have one each day, and you'll have it to use to/from transportation and around your resort. It can be a long walk at night after a full day in the parks.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter