Your Best ABD Trip Tip

It's expected that you will offer your Adventure Guides a gratuity.

You will be provided with small envelopes in which to do this, but they are a bit non-descript.

Bringing two small Thank You cards is a good idea. They are hard to find at DL.

Casual dress and comfortable shoes are the way to go.

Bring less clothing and more money. Mickey's of Glendale awaits.

Lunch at the Disney Studios is usually a rushed affair. You will be given a voucher for lunch in the "cafeteria" and not enough time to actually enjoy your lunch.

The Studio store is directly across the street from the cafeteria and I had more fun in there than during the rushed cafeteria lunch.

The Guides will have snacks and water on the bus going to and from the Studio. Take advantage of those, skip the hectic, rushed cafeteria and shop in the Studio store instead.

Those are my tips.

A couple of tips we used on ABD trips-

If you or your business has an FEDEX account, bring a couple of your pre-
addressed tyvec (large) mailers. They makes sending non breakable souvenirs like clothing easy, you just stuff the packs and drop them off at a Fedex box or the business center ($3 per package handling charge).

Ask your guides if you need help with any issues, they are very resourceful.

If you are going on the Backstage ABD, two words - Crumb's Bakery.

Have fun!

If you have any special needs (dietary concerns, etc) call ABD well before the trip and tell them! The Adventure Guides are fabulous about working with that, and making sure you're covered during the included meals. There *is* only so much they can do in some situations, but I've found they will bend over backwards to get things done for you.

Sayhello

OH! I just saw this thread here's what I posted on the July's trip thread:

Hi Everyone!

Becky, here from the April ABD trip. I wanted to post some "tips" I learned from this last trip.

Make sure you get plenty of rest. It's a really fast paced trip and we were exhausted each day. A good kind of exhausted, though. We wanted to make sure we didn't get sick either on the trip, so we brought our vitamins & saline nasal sprays along with us. I think that helped a lot.

Also, if you are bringing your kids with you make sure you don't stay out too late. That was key. We had our DD in bed early each night making sure she got at least 8-9 hours of sleep. We are always tempted to stay out late at night at the parks, but tired kids = grumpy kids It was worth it! I guess tired adults = grumpy adults too!

Finally, another thing I did was stretched each day. Lord only knows how many miles I put on and my muscles were sore. In the morning and evening we sat down in the room and stretched just for five minutes - made a world of difference!!

Oh one more thing - they feed you,....A LOT! I pigged out - at the beginning of the week, I was good, at the end I was loading up on desserts! But keep that in mind when you eat each meal - I had a stomach ache a few times

Have fun!!

A couple other comments....

Lunch at the Disney Studios is usually a rushed affair. You will be given a voucher for lunch in the "cafeteria" and not enough time to actually enjoy your lunch.

I actually didn't find that to be the case. We had an hour and had a really nice leisurely lunch with just our family outside and then walked the grounds for a while. But you never know based on traffic or what else you do during the day.

If you have any special needs (dietary concerns, etc) call ABD well before the trip and tell them! The Adventure Guides are fabulous about working with that, and making sure you're covered during the included meals. There *is* only so much they can do in some situations, but I've found they will bend over backwards to get things done for you.

YES! When making and update the reservation they asked, I just casually mentioned that DH reacts to peanuts and wine sauce/sulfites (not serious though) and each and every meal one of the ABD guides pulled DH aside and explained which foods had it in it. Once they made DH a separate entree without the wine sauce.

When do you receive "the box"?

Generally about 45 days before your ABD starts.

Sayhello

The Box of Joy! :love:

I gave my gratuities to the guides during the farewell dinner, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to flake out on the final day getting myself all set to leave. There's nothing worse than feeling, "Oh crap, I need to give them their tips!"

I found that I had enough time for lunch at the Studios, even though I chose the "cook to order" lunch area. They have a huge buffet area, and I took a walk around every station before making any decision on what to order. They had healthy choices, too. I liked that.

It's expected that you will offer your Adventure Guides a gratuity.

You will be provided with small envelopes in which to do this, but they are a bit non-descript.

Bringing two small Thank You cards is a good idea. They are hard to find at DL.

What is a good tip for the guides?

In that box is a booklet with your itinerary and other stuff.

It also has a suggested gratuity for each guide.

YIKES! I went into a bit of a panic when I saw this... we don't tip here in NZ so I had no idea how much we were talking about here.

I hadn't even thought about it as an additional expense to be honest.

I did find this on the ABD site
Adventures by Disney has pre-paid certain tips and gratuities for you such as tips for porters, housekeepers, drivers, activity providers, local experts, and dining room staff for included meals.

Adventure Guide Gratuities: Gratuities for your Adventures Guides are not included. If you feel that your Adventure Guides have provided excellent service, we suggest the following discretionary gratuity: Per Guest/Per Adventure guide/Per Day: $6 -$9 USD. For example:
• For an 6-day adventure, the Adventure Guide gratuity per guest, per Adventure Guide: $36-$54 USD.
• For a family of 4 for a 6-day adventure: $144-$216 USD per Adventure Guide. For 2 Guides, this is a total of: $288-$432 USD.

Geez I don't know how you American's deal with this tipping thing, its a nightmare! ;)

I did like the idea of the thank you cards - great idea!

I agree, Paula. I am not a big tipper as it is. The entire tipping thing for an ABD trip is lost on me. I know that the guides are amazing, but I don't understand why they are to be tipped. Maybe that will be clear after our trip.

The ABD Guides are in a service position.

They will basically take care of anything you need.

Amazing is an understatement. Without the guides, it would just be a regular trip. They make the trip what it is.

I was planning on giving one amount for the tip before I left, and we ended up going to the ATM to get more. I felt the guides went above and beyond to make our trip special. We didn't bring thank you cards - I didn't think of that. However, our DD8 painted each of the guides a picture the night before when we she was at Pinocchio's Workshop = Her idea, not ours. So, just that gives you an idea of of the impact the guides had on our trip, that our DD8, felt strongly enough, on her own to thank them.

Amazing is an understatement. Without the guides, it would just be a regular trip. They make the trip what it is.

I was planning on giving one amount for the tip before I left, and we ended up going to the ATM to get more. I felt the guides went above and beyond to make our trip special. We didn't bring thank you cards - I didn't think of that. However, our DD8 painted each of the guides a picture the night before when we she was at Pinocchio's Workshop = Her idea, not ours. So, just that gives you an idea of of the impact the guides had on our trip, that our DD8, felt strongly enough, on her own to thank them.
I totally agree with Becky here. Each ABD I've taken, I brought cash with me for the Guide's tips. And each time, I've gotten more to give them because they were just so spectacular, and just MADE the trip. I mean, why do you tip any service provider? Part of it *is* because it's expected, but it's also to recognize great service. And the Guides give SUPERIOR service!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter