Your best advice for autism?

I95toWDW

Earning My Ears
I just joined these boards yesterday, I am very happy to have found you! What great information is here. I have a nine year old daughter with autism and a twelve year old son with mild ADHD. We have been to WDW at least 10 times since my daughter was diagnosed at two and a half and we have always had a wonderful vacation.

I am very involved in the autism community of parents here in NJ. Because of this I was approached to make a presentation at an autism conference in May about traveling to WDW with an autistic child. I know you all know that the tips you get from other parents are the most valuable. I would so appreciate it and so would the parents who attend my session) if you would tell me the tips and tricks that helped you the most that would also help other parents, especially those with children who are newly diagnosed or on the severe side.

Example: if you show the parking attendants the special assistance pass in the parking lot they will wave you through to park in medical parking and then you don't have to deal with tram problems and issues - very valuable when the parks are crowded.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Barb

Hi Barb

My DS 11 has Asperger Syndrome and ADD and we visited WDW for the first time in April. I took some soft earplugs which he found invaluable. He actually enjoyed Fireworks for the first time ever - and we wouldn't have wanted him to miss them.

Hope you get some good tips!

I'd suggest reading the information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs). The GAC doesn't necessarily allow you to park in the "Medical Parking." Without a Handicapped Parking Permit, it is possible to get a ticket if you are parked in a marked handicapped spot (sign, wheelchair icon or blue painted lines).

Other hints are to get to the parks early (like right after opening) if you can. Even during peak seasons, you are often able to walk right on attractions with a very short wait and don't need to use/can minimize the GAC. Not as busy also translates into less people.

Use Fastpass if you can because it's much more predicatable than using a GAC (ie, when you arrive with your Fastpass, you get into the line and less than 15 minutes later, you should be riding). With a GAC, it is possible to be asked to come back later (they give a sort of Fastpass). You can send one member of your party to the Fastpass machine with everyone's tickets to get Fastpasses.

The WDW solid plastic strollers are a favorite of lots of people with autism. The firm plastic gives firm pressure as you sit on it and the solid sides cut down on stimulation. You can get a GAC that allows a stroller to be used in line like a wheelchair.

The monorail is a favorite ride of many people on the autism spectrum.

This website hasn't been updated for a while, but she has a lot of good hints that are still valid.

Dear Sue

Thanks for responding!

I hadn't thought about the strollers being good for sensory issues and I will definitly add that to my list. Great idea. When my daughter was younger we always got the stamp for using the stroller as a wheelchair and it was a lifesaver. And I agree with you about the Fastpass since the lines filter together at many of the rides anyway.

I called WDW this morning and my tip about parking is still accurate. To be clear I wasn't referring to hanicapped parking (I would never suggest anyone park there without a tag) but the next section called medical in between handicapped and AAA diamond parking. This is for visitors who normally wouldn't need special parking and do not have tags. To park there is at the discretion of the parking attendents waving cars in and they do consider autism a legitimate reason to park in those spots. At the very least it does allow families the opportunity to search for spots closer to the entrance in the regular parking and when the park is busy it allows families the option of avoiding the tram and people jumping in front of each other to get on through the crowds.

I will definitly check the website you mentioned.

Thanks for your input!

Barb

SueM in MN said:
I'd suggest reading the information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about Guest Assistance Cards (GACs). The GAC doesn't necessarily allow you to park in the "Medical Parking." Without a Handicapped Parking Permit, it is possible to get a ticket if you are parked in a marked handicapped spot (sign, wheelchair icon or blue painted lines).

Other hints are to get to the parks early (like right after opening) if you can. Even during peak seasons, you are often able to walk right on attractions with a very short wait and don't need to use/can minimize the GAC. Not as busy also translates into less people.

Use Fastpass if you can because it's much more predicatable than using a GAC (ie, when you arrive with your Fastpass, you get into the line and less than 15 minutes later, you should be riding). With a GAC, it is possible to be asked to come back later (they give a sort of Fastpass). You can send one member of your party to the Fastpass machine with everyone's tickets to get Fastpasses.

The WDW solid plastic strollers are a favorite of lots of people with autism. The firm plastic gives firm pressure as you sit on it and the solid sides cut down on stimulation. You can get a GAC that allows a stroller to be used in line like a wheelchair.

The monorail is a favorite ride of many people on the autism spectrum.

Hi Barb
Dear Rosie-
Thanks for your suggestion about the earplugs. I am going to try them on my daughter when we visit in a couple of weeks. The fireworks are always tough on her and often I bring her back to the hotel so she doesn't have to deal with the trauma.

I have no idea how we will get her to understand the concept though. I am going to go buy some today and start making her practice wearing them.

Thanks again!

Barb

My DS 11 has Asperger Syndrome and ADD and we visited WDW for the first time in April. I took some soft earplugs which he found invaluable. He actually enjoyed Fireworks for the first time ever - and we wouldn't have wanted him to miss them.

Hope you get some good tips!

We visited Disney 3 years ago with our then 8 yr old son with PDD-NOS. We got a GAC and used it instead of a Fastpass. I'm not sure if that is what the previous poster had meant. We just showed it to the CM collecting Fastpass tickets and they let us right through. We are planning on going back this summer and hopefully things will be the same.
The earplugs are a Godsend. Our son uses them on quite a few rides and shows that are a little too loud for his sensitive ears. We actually cut a little bit off the ends because they are so long and that way we don't have to worry about them getting knocked out in the middle of a ride or show. I remember being so worried how he would do and if he would be able to enjoy the rides. He had such a great time and even loved the Aerosmith roller coaster that I wouldn't even go on!

Earplugs have made a world of difference in our trips and I bought them at Walmart. We were able to see fireworks for the first time this past June. I give dd6 a fanny pack although we call it her pouch she keeps her earplugs in it and can use them as she feels she needs to. Beside fireworks it it very good for the 3D attractions (Muppets, Tough to be a Bug etc) between the loudness of the attraction and the 3D effect we had meltdown everytime but with the earplugs in she was able to process everything and now loves these attractions.In our case if I can tell she needs sensory input to settle her down we go find something that fits the bill. We just came back 2 days ago from our 6th trip 2nd since her diagnosis this time we had a really great trip because I really paid attention to the cues she was sending and addressed that need it made a HUGE difference. So other than earplugs really pay attention to the non verbal cues and do the homework before you go to know what the problems may be. Tell the child ahead of time about the plane trip or what to expect. We used the sing along videos, free park planning tape/dvd and also soundtracks from the parks. Like Splash Mountain she heard the music for months before we went I could tell her at what point in the music the big drop would be we watched it before hand and it was not a big deal in fact she loves it...don't know if it will help anyone else but this has worked for us....oh and just like everybody else a break in the middle of the day is a must :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter