Your best Christmas main dish recipes

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
I'm looking for tried and true main dish recipes for Christmas. I don't usually make a big Christmas dinner, since DH always has to work. Well, this year he is off, and we are heading to my father's house for the holiday. My mother passed away a month ago, and I'd like to make this holiday special. All my siblings and their families will also be there, so the dish would have to feed between 25-30 people. There are no food allergies, and we all like all types of meat. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

To be honest, if I had to make a main dish for that many people I'd most likely go with shredded turkey in broth & plan to serve it on rolls with horseradish sauce...or mashed potatoes if someone else wa going to provide them. ;)

It's something that can be made ahead & even frozen if necessary. My crock doesn't travel well, so I put it in some sort of tub with a tight-fitting lid & then dump it into the crock upon arrival. Because I simmer the bones to make the broth, it gets a bit "jellied" in the refrigerator so it really doesn't slop all over while traveling.

I season the bird differently for this. I slice oranges (or clementines if they're all I have) & slide them under the skin - on the breast from either end & one slice at the top of each leg. Then I pour a bit of OJ or even lemon juice over the outside of the bird. Next I rub Kosher salt & some spices on both the outside & inside. (I never stuff the bird.) (I use a mixture of dried lemon & orange zest, thyme, lemon pepper & ground celery seed.) Put the bird in the roaster, cut a couple oranges in half, squeeze the juice into the cavity & then toss them in & roast it. I have a covered roaster & always cook it covered - until the skin is nice & brown & the meat is falling off the bones. Pull the meat off the bones, chill & shred. (Everything but the meat goes back into the roaster - including the oranges.) In the meantime, cover the bones with water, bring to a boil & cook all day or overnight in the same roasting pan. Strain out the bones, etc & put in the refrigerator without the meat to begin with...that way you can skim off the fat. Then just combine everything. I can't believe how tasty turkey is this way! (I was never a fan before.) I also have done this with lemons instead of oranges & that's very good as well.

To be honest, if I had to make a main dish for that many people I'd most likely go with shredded turkey in broth & plan to serve it on rolls with horseradish sauce...or mashed potatoes if someone else wa going to provide them. ;)

It's something that can be made ahead & even frozen if necessary. My crock doesn't travel well, so I put it in some sort of tub with a tight-fitting lid & then dump it into the crock upon arrival. Because I simmer the bones to make the broth, it gets a bit "jellied" in the refrigerator so it really doesn't slop all over while traveling.

I season the bird differently for this. I slice oranges (or clementines if they're all I have) & slide them under the skin - on the breast from either end & one slice at the top of each leg. Then I pour a bit of OJ or even lemon juice over the outside of the bird. Next I rub Kosher salt & some spices on both the outside & inside. (I never stuff the bird.) (I use a mixture of dried lemon & orange zest, thyme, lemon pepper & ground celery seed.) Put the bird in the roaster, cut a couple oranges in half, squeeze the juice into the cavity & then toss them in & roast it. I have a covered roaster & always cook it covered - until the skin is nice & brown & the meat is falling off the bones. Pull the meat off the bones, chill & shred. (Everything but the meat goes back into the roaster - including the oranges.) In the meantime, cover the bones with water, bring to a boil & cook all day or overnight in the same roasting pan. Strain out the bones, etc & put in the refrigerator without the meat to begin with...that way you can skim off the fat. Then just combine everything. I can't believe how tasty turkey is this way! (I was never a fan before.) I also have done this with lemons instead of oranges & that's very good as well.

This sounds good, thanks.

My siuster does Christmas for the family, and cooks and slices the turkey the day before. Once you pour hot gravy on it no-one can tell;)

She cooks as well: cheesy leeks, stuffing, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, caremelized onions, carrots, sprouts.

We are about half your number - she prepares most stuff the day before and reheats it, and we all help ourselves from a buffet. Personally, I'd go the piratesmate route - less work! Or do something like a pot-roast beef with mash which can sit happily if someone gets held up.:thumbsup2

Hi Glynis!

I have a tried and true recipe that my family always served at large gatherings. It is a make ahead recipe too. Its not fancy schmacy but really yummy!

Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Casserole

12 slices bread
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
10 ounces chopped broccoli, partially cooked and drained
3 cups chopped ham
6 eggs, slightly beaten
3 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Cut crust from bread. Put crusts in the bottom of a buttered 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Put cheese slices over bread.

Add a layer of broccoli and a layer of ham. Put bread squares on top. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over ham. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

***Prior to baking, a little bit of oregano can be sprinkled on top.

Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes at 325 degrees. Sprinkle some additional cheese on during the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 18

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter