Your best rainy day tips? Fireworks in the rain?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
We fly in on Friday for a quick long weekend trip, and as of right now Friday looks like a total washout. We have HS scheduled for this day and it’s my only chance ever to see the Star Wars fireworks show. Last time we tried to see it, it was also rained out.

Under what conditions will they cancel the show?

What are your best rainy day tips for the parks? What should we wear? We all only own one pair of sneakers, so I don’t want them to get soaked. Are flip flops and sandals are best bet? Waterproofing spray on the sneakers and lots of sock changes?

We have ponchos and rain coats. We’ll pack umbrellas and hats. What else would you bring?

What are our worst/best bets for rides and shows in the studios in the rain?

Does SDD operate in the rain?​

We’ve done a few rainy park days and they ended up being our most enjoyable days with low crowds and short lines! The days were not total washouts however, more like a few rounds of thunderstorms during the day with a light rain in between.

First, I would not recommend sneakers in the rain. Once they are soaked it will take them a long time to dry and, even with changes of socks, I wouldn’t risk getting blisters the first day of your trip. I would recommend an athletic sandal (we used Keens but there are tons of similar options) that will dry quickly but still have some support and will be more comfortable than flip flops all day.

Our rainy days were both at MK so I can’t say with any certainty what stays open in the rain at HS.

The fireworks still went on for both our rainy days but the timing worked in our favor that it was only light rain. Castmembers told us Tinkerbell would likely not fly and but the fireworks typically are held in a light rain. They could not make any guarantees, however and we were told the final decision isn’t made until the last minute depending on current conditions and the radar at the start time. We lucked out.

If the Star Wars show is very important to you and it is cancelled on Friday night you could add a park hopper to your ticket at that time and come back Saturday or Sunday evening to catch the show.

I hope you have a great weekend!

Lightening/thunder shuts down everything outside at all parks. Rain alone shuts down very little. At HS, stages that are wet are not safe and therefore the shows on exposed stages are cancelled. Indiana Jones does a half-show and stops at the point where they would normally go out from under the hanging. Characters outside relocate or stop meeting when it rains. Street atmosphere entertainment does not occur in the rain, and I believe all merch/food carts are pulled. Other than that, everything is as normal at HS.

I’m not a fan of the current SW projection/laser/tiny pyro show so can’t really say from experience if they cancel it for rain. Inclement weather delays/cancels it, including high wind, since there is some pyro. I know generally, they don’t like to cancel shows with pyro once the pyro is loaded, which is not done at the last minute. Even Fantasmic has an alternate, five minute, actor-free show designed to discharge the pyro if its not safe for the actors to perform. I had the bad luck to see it once.

A little tip I would add is that to bring zip lock bags for electronics, as no matter how covered you think you are with an umbrella, or poncho, depending on how intense the rain is, or how windy it is, you will still get either a little, or quite wet. I always suggest bringing a zip lock bag for electronics, as regardless of whether in your pockets, or a backpack, the material can still get wet, soak through, and might jeopardize them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter