Your Dining Secrets

crabbygal902

after a lapu lapu, I'm not so crabby anymore
Sometimes the really popular places ('Ohana, BoG, Chef Mickey's, Cindy's Royal Table, etc) are more of a challenge to book. What are your favorite places that you can get into with less effort and stress?

When we are looking for a last minute ADR or a walk-in, we go to Tokyo Dining. It seems to have availability much of the time, and I don't know why. The atmosphere is tranquil, the food is presented beautifully and the waitstaff may be the most pleasant in all of WDW. Maybe I shouldn't have told anyone...

My next tip is not a place but a strategy to avoid making ADRs, have a good meal, and save some money. We have older kids (12 and 17) and are able to eat in the lounges of the signature dining spots where we share appetizers. The portion sizes are more reasonable and priced accordingly. The food is also really, really good...I find that the apps are often the stars on a menu.

What are your secrets? Shhh...I won't tell anybody. :D

Last edited:
The resort QS for lunch. Mid-day, it's generally quiet with little to no waiting. I also may have been blessed with a taste for food that other people aren't crazy about? I've been to Marrakesh every singe Disney trip, and I believe that's one where you can get a last-minute ADR. Trying Skipper Canteen this time. I'm not bothered if a dining companion's fish is staring at me. Maybe other people are because that was also an ADR with a lot of time choices available.

Pay cash, eat what you want, avoid nearly all CS places, character buffet ONLY at Tusker House,for the most part dine at resorts rather than parks, stock the room with breakfasts/snacks/drinks.

Grand Floridian Cafe is usually a walk up and has really good food.

I agree! I remember one day, all the MK TS restaurants were booked, but it was such an easy and restful ride over to the GFC. And I loved my lunch! Another one DH and I like, surprisingly, is Nine Dragons. We didn't have high expectations for the food, but it was good, and the atmosphere and service were great.

The resort QS for lunch. Mid-day, it's generally quiet with little to no waiting. I also may have been blessed with a taste for food that other people aren't crazy about? I've been to Marrakesh every singe Disney trip, and I believe that's one where you can get a last-minute ADR. Trying Skipper Canteen this time. I'm not bothered if a dining companion's fish is staring at me. Maybe other people are because that was also an ADR with a lot of time choices available.

Marrakesh IMO is one of the best places to eat on property, QS or TS. That shawarma platter is SO good!

I agree! I remember one day, all the MK TS restaurants were booked, but it was such an easy and restful ride over to the GFC. And I loved my lunch! Another one DH and I like, surprisingly, is Nine Dragons. We didn't have high expectations for the food, but it was good, and the atmosphere and service were great.

I'm glad to hear a positive review of Nine Dragons. I see it all the time on the Disney app's dining availability list.

Pay cash, eat what you want, avoid nearly all CS places, character buffet ONLY at Tusker House,for the most part dine at resorts rather than parks, stock the room with breakfasts/snacks/drinks.
I hear great things about Tusker House and it appears to be easier to get than some other character meals. I hate making dining choices 180 days before I eat. I'm going to put that one on my list to try.

Wow, this is a hidden gem! I hardly ever hear folks talking about it. Saratoga Springs?
Yes! A definite hidden gem. In my opinion it is the perfect, low-key family/date-night restaurant if Yachtsmen Steakhouse/Narcooses is out of your price budget. Also, it's a quick walk to DS for after-dinner drinks. My family loves it and I swear by that steak, it's delicious!!!

Spice Road Table - we've never had an issue walking up and the food is the best in EP, IMHO!!

Get a Landry's Select Card! It's SUPER useful if you want a more flexible day in AK (or DS) and want priority seating at Y&Y, RC or TRex whenever you want!

Use opentable for tons of DS, Swan/Dolphin and now a few WDW restaurants. Why give a cc for your reservation when you don't have to!

Spice Road Table - we've never had an issue walking up and the food is the best in EP, IMHO!!

Get a Landry's Select Card! It's SUPER useful if you want a more flexible day in AK (or DS) and want priority seating at Y&Y, RC or TRex whenever you want!

Use opentable for tons of DS, Swan/Dolphin and now a few WDW restaurants. Why give a cc for your reservation when you don't have to!

Great tips! I'm def looking into that Landry's select card.

I also agree that the Swan/Dolphin is a great place to find good food. Having the Open Table option makes it even better.

Landry’s Select helped a ton this weekend. We got sick and had to rearrange two of our park days. We had to cancel our ADRs, and we needed breakfast at AK. We were able to walk up and be seated in 2 mins, without a reservation, when they had no ADR openings.

I don't know if they count as "secrets" as much as they do "strategies", but here goes:
  • Don't get the Dining Plan. Sometimes you can make a meal out of appetizers and often times the apps are the best things on the menu. If you are on the DP, these aren't included.
  • Can't get an ADR at the California Grill at a time other than 5:10? Try Citricos. The food is of a similar style, is usually better, and an ADR is easy to get.
  • For your higher end meals, go to the Swan and Dolphin. Use Open Table. That way you get points credited to your account. Or you can call the restaurants directly.
  • While we typically don't split meals, we find that at Via Napoli, Flame Tree and 50s Prime Time, the "two for three" ratio works for us. That is, three people can dine comfortably on what would be full meals for two people.
  • Don't waste time or money on breakfasts. A quick trip to Publix for breakfast foods for a week will cost you what two people would pay to dine at a Disney restaurant for one meal. And it saves a lot of time when you eat in your room while getting ready in the morning.
  • The second floor of the Columbia Harbor House is usually available for seating even during the prime lunch hour.
  • If you can't find something to eat at Sunshine Seasons, you aren't trying hard enough.

Tokyo Dining has hands down the best service I've ever had at a restaurant.

It doesn't even feel forced and overbearing like "American hospitality". It feels warm and natural. Just like Japanese hospitality at it's best.

Another vote for Grand Floridian Cafe. We made reservations an hour beforehand on our last trip.

Kona Cafe is sometimes available when Ohana isn’t. The food has been good for us every time.

Make Disney Springs reservations on OpenTable rather that thru Disney. No credit card needed, no cancellation fee.

We snack our way thru the parks in the morning and eat a late TS lunch to get out of the heat mid-day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter