Your Experience: How Much Can a 4 year old Take at MK?

My only experience for someone that young was in 2006 when my daughter was 5. We did several breakfasts they at scheduled before park openings to get us in early and we usually stayed at each park until 20:00 to 21:00 hours. I do remember we had to take long play breaks at the MGM playgrounds and at Epcot where they have the water shooting out of the grounds we had to spend a lot of time. But they allowed her to mellow out.

It depends on your four year old as well as the parents' ability to adapt and deal with potential stress. There's no way to predict how much your child can handle based on other people's internet anecdotes.

Back in 17 I took my 4 yo daughter and 2 yo son. Rope dropped 3 parks, and stayed until fireworks. They handled it fine, just bring a stroller. Plan meals and sit down times and take it easy and you should be fine. Don't be afraid to sit down somewhere in the shade or indoors for 20 minutes.

The minute you try to adhere to a schedule or a touring plan is when things will start getting out of control. Schedule FPs and Meals and let the day unfold around them.

We just got back from our very first trip to Disney World with a 4 and 8 year old. We did not use a stroller, usually got there for rope drop and then left around 6-7 each night. If the girls were getting tired we would sit for a few on a bench and have a snack and something to drink. I was very surprised that the little one did as good as she did. The only day she complained about walking was the day we were at Disney Springs.

We did better with 3/4 days then with a break in the middle, which I know goes against the grain.
When we tried the break in the middle, rest time would be just so shifted that they would not wake up in order to head out to eat or back to the parks. (We had a miserable dinner at Ohana because of this, so my advice would be to not PLAN to go back in the evening but see it as a bonus if you do)

We would do rope drop, late breakfast/early lunch, FP+ and then just be done around 2-3pm and go back to the hotel (and swim, eat at the resort food court, watch Mickey cartoons on the tv). OR sleep in, play at hotel pool, go to park around 2-3 pm, have dinner in the park, and enjoy a nighttime show.

We won't be staying at the Disney Resort. Any good ideas on how to get some type of a rest/break, we'll have 4 yo and grandparents with! Thanks!

We won't be staying at the Disney Resort. Any good ideas on how to get some type of a rest/break, we'll have 4 yo and grandparents with! Thanks!

Carousel of Progress
People Mover
Riding the monorail
Anything indoors, spaceship earth can make for a decent almost nap...so can living with the land.

I don't spend much time at hollywood studios, so i don't know good break spots there.

Midday lunches are also nice as a break from the heat.

Carousel of Progress
People Mover
Riding the monorail
Anything indoors, spaceship earth can make for a decent almost nap...so can living with the land.

I don't spend much time at hollywood studios, so i don't know good break spots there.

Midday lunches are also nice as a break from the heat.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll need a nap LOL

Here are some sample lists of what we did on MK days with our 4 and 7 year old kiddos in tow in mid Nov (plus my broither & SIL and their 1 yr old) - we plan for a morning of touring, a sit down lunch & a break. Both of these were party mornings (the Christmas party was both evenings) so the mornings were VERY quiet:

MK 8:30
Space Mt-rider swap, swappers ride Buzz & Astro Orbiter or PeopleMover (1 yr old & mom)
Speedway - w/ FP
Teacups
Barnstormer
Dumbo playground
Dumbo
Ariel meet&greet
7 dwarves - w/ FP (no swap)
Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern.
Parade
Small World - w/ FP
Back to Bay Lake Tower
Kiddos stroller nap
Pool
To Poly via Monorail 6ish
Capt Cooks
**At this point, the 4 yr old and 1 yr old were exhausted and whiny**

MK at 8:50
Little kids play at Splash playground
Adults & 4/7 yr old Big Thunder
Adults & 7 yr old Splash Mtn
BTM again w FP
Pirates League Makeovers
Pirates w FP
Jungle Cruise w FP
Aladdin carpets
Tiki room
Lunch: Skipper Canteen
Treehouse
MK Steam Train Full Loop
Back to BLT
Naps
To Dis Springs
(We shopped, ate dinner, had ice cream to the live music, etc.)

If its at all in the budget - plan a character meal or two. They are a much more efficient use of your time and the kiddos have food to distract them while they wait (instead of standing in line!). Then touring time is rides only and you don't get bogged down in a line for a half hour only to have the character go on break for 15 minutes while you keep waiting because darnit you waited that long...

Use the Baby Centres. Each park has them and they aren't just for "babies" anyone can use them with small kids.
They provide a nice cool place to rest and eat or drink or just let the little ones have a sleep in the stroller. They also have some toys in there and a TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter