Your experiences with toddlers

gonitts

Mouseketeer
We will be taking our son who will be 22 months in November to Disney. Just curious to hear anyone's experience with a child that age. Our 9 yr old will also be with us. We never took him anywhere until he was 5 to 6 years old, so this will be a new experience for us. What can we expect? Is it a good idea for him to sleep in the stroller in the parks? Or would it be better to go back to the hotel? Thanks so much.

I've been with a two year old twice and a four year old once.

You should probably go back to the resort after lunch. Especially if you are going in the summer, since at that point of the day the parks are the busiest AND that is when it rains.

As for strollers. I hate them. We rented one when my son was 2 in 2002. When we went with my two nieces (4 and 2) this July, an umbrella stroller was brought. Half the time neither girl wanted to ride in the stroller. It would often get left behind after a ride. It was a giant pain in the butt. I will never go back to Disney with a stroller.

We took our son last March (he had just turned 2) and it was so much fun. Some days he fell asleep in the stroller and other days we came back to the room and he took his usual nap. We just played it by ear depending on how he was feeling.

We did a couple of character meals and they were great. He loved Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's. He also liked dumbo, small world, carousel and meeting the characters.

We did the small rides at Magic Kingdom and the parade and fire works. He really enjoyed the parade.

He likes animals a whole lot so we spent a lot of time at Animal Kingdom. He wanted to do the safari ride a bunch of times. We also saw the Lion King Show three times and the Nemo show once. The shows are very good especially Lion King. Also, there is a character area and one day we saw 5/6 different characters in an hour so that was good!

Good Luck, it will be a lot of fun!

We went when my DS was 20 months, then again at 30 months. We had our own stroller that reclined and he slept in the parks everday. Whichever adult wanted a rest that day just took the little one in the stroller to a quieter area, or a restaurant (for Tea and dessert mid afternnoon) and pushed the stroller back and forth till he fell asleep. The other adult went with older DS to do a few rides (usually with FP we had gotten) This worked well for us, as we like to have an early enough dinner (530 or so) and then head back to the resort for the night after that.

I think it will just depend on your child. my little boy was 18 months and he is a very high spirited child and doesnt do well with change, to keep to his normal schedule, we took breaks everyday so he could sleep in the cool dark room in his own bed and it worked well for him, he did great everyday, he wouldnt be able to sleep in the stroller. We also took my 4 yo daughter and if we had taken her at that age, she would have done well in her stroller, but not my son.

With that said he enjoyed everything we rode or saw, he just had a blast.

We took DS at 20 months and again at 26 months. He slept a lot more during the 1st trip. He would mostly fall asleep right after eating for 20 mins or so and we tried most days to let him sleep at least 1 hour in the room.
The 2nd trip he slept less in the stroller but we did go back to the room for afternoon naps.

His favorite things were Crystal Palace and Chef Mickeys. Pooh's Playground in MK and Honey I Shrunk the Kids at DHS. He loved Dumbo and the Teacups too.

Have fun!

I also think you will need to gauge things by your own child. Every child is different and will react to the parks differently. Both of our children went as toddlers and both reacted differently. DD catnapped in her reclining stroller whenever she needed a little sleep, but DS could not or would not nap unless we were in our hotel room and after all the park stimulation he needed the nap!!

Both of my kids loved the characters as toddlers and went right up to them to give hugs, but I have witnessed many other toddlers crying when parents tried to get them to meet them. So yet another things you will have to gauge by your child's reaction.

Also the rides themselves can sometimes be challenging even ones you think would be fine. For instance DD as a toddler did not like most of the indoor type attractions like Winnie-the-Pooh b/c of the darkness factor (the exception was Small World) but she loved any ride like Dumbo or race cars that was more outside. DS liked ALL the rides! DD also did not like to see any villians and would become upset when she saw them, however DS was fascinated by the villians.

Toddlers really enjoy the play areas in the parks too and they seem to need to be able to run around and be able to blow off some steam. :)

Toddler can be challenging at WDW, but loads of fun!!! Enjoy the memories you will be making!!

I loved going when my boys were that age. They are 2 yrs apart. We used our stroller and the rental strollers, doubles. If one was hot or tired they could find shade or a nap in the stroller.
Everything is magical and exciting to the little ones. They loved the balloons, parades, characters...

DS was 22m on his first trip. We had the best time! We went back to the resort to take naps after lunch every day and it worked out really well.

Last time, DD was 26m. DS and DH went swimming while DD rested. She often fell asleep in the stroller.

You don't get a whole lot accomplished when you have a toddler, you have to go at their pace, but it can be a wonderful trip.

Be sure to know where the baby changing areas are. Each park has 1, and they provide a nice place to change diapers and watch some tv. We took our boys each year as babies and toddlers. I always bring my home stroller since they are most comfortable in that. Liks others ahve said, we played it by ear....some days we let him nap in the park and others we all went back for a rest. My boys always went on any ride that didn't have a height restriction...we never had a problem on any of them. Pack a change of clothing as each park has water feature areas which are really helpful and fun for the little ones. There is also a play area under the train by Spash Mountain where you can wait while the others ride the big rides. Remember to take advantage of the child swap pass. Since your youngest can't ride some rides, you can get a pass that will allow up to 3 people to return and not have to wait to ride again. Your 9 year old will love this! You all have to show up to the ride at the beginning to get the pass and it is good for the entire day. This is typically at the fast pass entrance area. Now you won't miss the big rides either! HAve a great time...you'll love it!

We took DS when he was almost 2, almost 3 and this year again a couple of weeks before he turns 4.
I agree with others in that you need to go by what is best for your child, plus you also have teh 9yo to consider.

I made sure I had a comfortable stroller that reclined with a sun cover and a few time DS napped in his stroller.
The main thing was meals - I made ADRS and planned our meals based on DS usual eating times and foods he liked. I picked restaurants that would be fun for him. I also made sure to bring some of his favorite snacks and Gerber toddler meals as he can be a picky eater.

We go in Sept. and it's hot so an afternoon pool break helps. If you plan to go to any of the evening parades or fireworks I would definately make sure you go back to your room to rest so both kids won't get tired or cranky on the late noght.

The first year we went, during the summer we took DS to different local amusement parks and such to see how he was on rides (carousel and such) and also how he reacted to costumed characters. It helps if you have a sense of what your little one may or may not be afraid of.

He had a great time both years and is talking about going this year. And for all those nay sayers to say kids won't remember. he's telling us the rides he wants to go on and the stores he wants to go to and the souveniers he wants to get based on what we did last year.

Oh, yea...DS loved the toddler parks (Poohs Park in MK, Donalds Boat in Toon Town. Dinoland in AK). They even have a little play area by Splash Mountain. So one of you can paly with the toddler in the poark and the other can ride Splash Mountain with DS.

Also when going on rides too big for the toddler, but just right for the 9yo make sure the CM knows you want to do a family switch (forget the proper term). Basically one parent can ride on the ride with the 9yo while the other watches the toddler - then after the ride the parents switch and the other parent rides with the 9yo while the first parent watches the toddler. THis way ezach of you get to experience the ride with your older child.

Have fun

We just took our son Dec before last when he was 2 1/2. We had a great trip. We switched hotels once - which made it difficult to go back to the room for a nap. If I had it to do again- I would have not switched rooms. Other than that it was great. Agree with other posters- my son loved the characters- we did several character meals- I had planned to try the first one to check his tolerance and if it wasn't good- cx the rest. Worked out great though because he really enjoyed the characters and wasn't so good at the line thing. We had a City Jogger stroller- through a stroller swap on this board- was fabulous! Our son is a good napper and though it was normally 45 min in a stroller vs 2 hrs at the hotel- it worked. He enjoyed all the rides- but was most fond of the play areas. It just allowed some "free play" without standing in a line, etc. Make sure you set aside some time for that. We did mostly buffet style or couter service as our son didn't sit still well at that point- all the excitement made that a little worse. He loved it though and every morning would get up and go sit in the stroller parked at the door just waiting for the days adventures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter