• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your experiences with upgrades and free extras

marcus.ka

Disney Hotel Fan
As there was so much talking about upgrades I would like to know your experiences with upgrades and extras. How many times did you stay in a Disney Hotel and what did you get for free. And did you ask for it or was it a surprise or kind of an apology.

-I had 11 stays in Disney hotels and on our stay 2003 in the NPBC we got a VIP breakfast at the Bar of the NPBC. This was also my first visit as a shareholder.

-In October 2005 we were upgraded at the SL from standard room to Montana room. (Renate who booked the trip for us asked the hotel for this upgrade)
But the Montana room they choose for us was a smoker room. And so we complained and as there was no other Montana room without lake view we even got a lake view room! So that was kind of a double upgrade, although we didn’t ask for it.

-In January 2006 we were upgraded at the HNY from standard room to a room with lake view. We got that upgrade because after the trip in October I wrote to Disney that we always get unbeautiful rooms. And so they noted my Shareholder number and promised for a better room on our next stay! And I have to say we got the most perfect room in the whole Disney universe! (See my trip report!) :wizard:

So what did you get for free (or upgrades) and how often have you stayed in Disney hotels? :teacher: :surfweb:

In 1992 we stayed at Sequoia Lodge, and after settling in to our (Montana) rooms on the ground or first floor with a view of the hedge, we were moved into 4th floor lake view rooms because our friends had been locked out of their room due to a mix up with names!!!

In 1993 we were "upgraded" to the Newport Bay, as the Sequioa Lodge was shut when we got there!!! :teeth:

In 1995 we were upgraded to a suite on check in at Sequoia Lodge, as I had sent a letter saying I was a bit miffed that the SL swimming pool was never open when we went!! Quite some compensation, just for that!!! :thumbsup2

In 2002 at the Hotel New York, we got a room with a lake view at no extra cost - it might have been because we booked with DVC points.

We've been very lucky really. ::yes::

We've never been upgraded, but we always go in school holidays, so i'm sure that plays a part.

we have never been upgraded however I have never asked!

I have never been to DLP, but in regards to WDW:

I have stayed on property no fewer than 20 times in the last 7 years.
I have never received a free upgrade.
I have asked :teeth: .
We always go off-season, so I guess I am rather unlucky!

ALTHOUGH: there was the trip in September 2001. We were staying at the Polynesian that trip. After 2 days in a "Garden View" room - my DH went to the front desk and asked for a very specific "Water view" room (he asked for it by ROOM NUMBER! and it just happened to available for the rest of our stay) - we were told our bill would be adjusted for the change in room type. But then 9-11 occurred, and when we checked out, there was no increase in our bill from our garden view rate. We asked (some people said we were dumb, but I am too honest I guess, or maybe really am dumb!!!), and they indicated that the increase was waived because of everything happening with 9-11.

So, I guess we did get one "free" upgrade during a part of a trip :rotfl: .

Can I add an extra question (or two):

• Did you book direct with the Disney Hotel or via a brochure (eg Cresta)

• Was the upgrade offered to you in advance of the holiday (by letter or phone) or was it offered on arrival

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter