Your fantasy 18th century Ball (The imaginary dream kingdom)

Would You Go To an 18th Century Style Ball?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if I could leave my kids at home

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes if I could bring my kids

• No if children are there

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes if it was styled modern

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No if it was styled modern

• Yes if it was styled 18th century

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No if it was styled 18th century

• Total voters
Has anyone attended their local 18th century reenactment ball before (I know they are not available everywhere in the country)? If so, what was your experience like and what sort of things were available to do at the ball? Genuinely curious. Thanks. :-)

Over 25 years or so, I've done similar programing at Colonial Williamsburg (costuming was not involved for any).

Raleigh Tavern Evening
This was a "pass through" event held at the Raleigh Tavern set as a subscription ball. It included 18th cent. country dances (if forced, I probably still remember the steps to Haste to the Wedding, I've done it that many times), tavern games (a variety of card games), music, and story-telling. One event also included a demonstration of dueling with swords.

A Capitol Evening
This was very similar to the Raleigh Tavern Evening except held in the in Capitol. Like the Raleigh Tavern, there was 18th cent. country dances, card games, etc. (although there wasn't a dueling demonstration).

4th of July Palace Picnic
This was held in the gardens of the Governor's Palace. There was country dancing (both inside the ballroom of the Governor's Palace and in the pathways of the garden), music, The Grand Medley of Entertainment (think vaudeville but from the 18th century), a concert by the Fife and Drum corps just before the fireworks, and the best seat in the house for the fireworks. A picnic dinner was served (fried chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, etc.) And just for a little fun and excitement, there was a downpour of rain complete with thunder and lightening within minutes of the end of the fireworks.

Governor's Palace Ball
This was strictly a spectator event. You were greeted as you entered the palace by the governor (I think they may have been interpreting it when Lord Dunmore was the royal governor and Lady Dunmore may have been with him). We were then seated in the ballroom where dancers perform minuets and country dances.

Dance, Our Dearest Diversion
This was held in the House of Burgesses at the Capitol Building and later the ballroom at the Governor's Palace. This program was both educational as well as interactive. Although the dances at each program were different, the same basic outline was used. The first thing was to teach the audience courtesies since they both begin and end the dances. There was then an explanation of minuets. Minuets were the first dances danced at a ball. They were done one at a time starting with the highest ranking couple and going down in rank for anyone who wished to step one (it could take hours). You didn't necessarily dance with your spouse etc. since it was based on the highest rank. For instance, if the governor attended, but his wife didn't (or he was single), he would dance with whomever the highest ranking lady present was (usually the wife of the Speaker of the House of Burgesses). Everyone not else would basically sit and gossip about how well the couple stepped the minuet. After the minuet was demonstrated, the country dances were then demonstrated and audience members would be picked to learn and step them. There would be three country dances: longways for three couples, longways for four couples, and a cotillion (precursor of the square dance). After that, if there was time, other dances would be demonstrated (jigs, reels (Scottish, the Virginia reel dates later), etc.). Speaking with some of the employees the last couple of times I was in CW, this is one of the evening programs they hope to be able to bring back soon.

Palace Concert & Capitol Concert
Concerts done in the candlelit ballroom of the Governors Palace or the candlelit House of Burgesses at the The Capitol Building by the Governor's Musick, an historical performance ensemble. They perform on both original 18th century instruments as well as reproduction instruments.

Over 25 years or so, I've done similar programing at Colonial Williamsburg (costuming was not involved for any).

Raleigh Tavern Evening
This was a "pass through" event held at the Raleigh Tavern set as a subscription ball. It included 18th cent. country dances (if forced, I probably still remember the steps to Haste to the Wedding, I've done it that many times), tavern games (a variety of card games), music, and story-telling. One event also included a demonstration of dueling with swords.

A Capitol Evening
This was very similar to the Raleigh Tavern Evening except held in the in Capitol. Like the Raleigh Tavern, there was 18th cent. country dances, card games, etc. (although there wasn't a dueling demonstration).

4th of July Palace Picnic
This was held in the gardens of the Governor's Palace. There was country dancing (both inside the ballroom of the Governor's Palace and in the pathways of the garden), music, The Grand Medley of Entertainment (think vaudeville but from the 18th century), a concert by the Fife and Drum corps just before the fireworks, and the best seat in the house for the fireworks. A picnic dinner was served (fried chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon, etc.) And just for a little fun and excitement, there was a downpour of rain complete with thunder and lightening within minutes of the end of the fireworks.

Governor's Palace Ball
This was strictly a spectator event. You were greeted as you entered the palace by the governor (I think they may have been interpreting it when Lord Dunmore was the royal governor and Lady Dunmore may have been with him). We were then seated in the ballroom where dancers perform minuets and country dances.

Dance, Our Dearest Diversion
This was held in the House of Burgesses at the Capitol Building and later the ballroom at the Governor's Palace. This program was both educational as well as interactive. Although the dances at each program were different, the same basic outline was used. The first thing was to teach the audience courtesies since they both begin and end the dances. There was then an explanation of minuets. Minuets were the first dances danced at a ball. They were done one at a time starting with the highest ranking couple and going down in rank for anyone who wished to step one (it could take hours). You didn't necessarily dance with your spouse etc. since it was based on the highest rank. For instance, if the governor attended, but his wife didn't (or he was single), he would dance with whomever the highest ranking lady present was (usually the wife of the Speaker of the House of Burgesses). Everyone not else would basically sit and gossip about how well the couple stepped the minuet. After the minuet was demonstrated, the country dances were then demonstrated and audience members would be picked to learn and step them. There would be three country dances: longways for three couples, longways for four couples, and a cotillion (precursor of the square dance). After that, if there was time, other dances would be demonstrated (jigs, reels (Scottish, the Virginia reel dates later), etc.). Speaking with some of the employees the last couple of times I was in CW, this is one of the evening programs they hope to be able to bring back soon.

Palace Concert & Capitol Concert
Concerts done in the candlelit ballroom of the Governors Palace or the candlelit House of Burgesses at the The Capitol Building by the Governor's Musick, an historical performance ensemble. They perform on both original 18th century instruments as well as reproduction instruments.
Were most of them well attended and affordable?

Dance Diversions tended to sell out. If I recall correctly, the program was done two nights a week, with two programs on each night. It was very family friendly. When I did a program at the Capitol in May, the manager of evening programs said how many are normally seated in the House of Burgesses at the Capitol. I want to say it might be 150 (they were only selling 50% to keep distance due to COVID). The other programs tended to do well as well. With the exception of the Palace Picnic, they were all the normal price of evening programs. Right now, evening programs are running between $16 - $19 with the majority being $19. The Palace Picnic was more expensive (since it included a meal and lasted longer...evening programs are usually about an hour). I want to say it was between $35 - $50 (I don't remember the exact cost). That was in 1998. Evening programs were about $12 then, so an increase of approximately 58% to today's cost. Based on that, if they did the Palace picnic today (they discontinued it some number of years ago), figuring a 58% increase, that would work out to $55 - $80.

Last edited:

Dance Diversions tended to sell out. If I recall correctly, the program was done two nights a week, with two programs on each night. It was very family friendly. The other programs tended to do well as well. With the exception of the Palace Picnic, they were all the normal price of evening programs. Right now, evening programs are running between $16 - $19 with the majority being $19. The Palace Picnic was more expensive (since it included a meal and lasted longer...evening programs are usually about an hour). I want to say it was between $35 - $50 (I don't remember the exact cost). That was in 1998. Evening programs were about $12 then, so an increase of approximately 58% to today's cost. Based on that, if they did the Palace picnic today (they discontinued it some number of years ago), figuring a 58% increase, that would work out to $55 - $80.
That’s pretty reasonable to be honest.

That’s pretty reasonable to be honest.
Yes. I do find the CW's prices to reasonable...although there are always those who complain that it's too expensive. I bought an annual pass last July and used it for three trips (July and October 2021 and May 2022). I thought it was a bargain at $75, but I've seen many on social media complain about how expensive it is. I saw someone saying she was hoping she could talk management into giving her a special rate at the Williamsburg Inn because it was a milestone birthday for her. Essentially, she wants to stay a week for what my sister and I paid to stay one night...ain't gonna happen.

Yes. I do find the CW's prices to reasonable...although there are always those who complain that it's too expensive. I bought an annual pass last July and used it for three trips (July and October 2021 and May 2022). I thought it was a bargain at $75, but I've seen many on social media complain about how expensive it is. I saw someone saying she was hoping she could talk management into giving her a special rate at the Williamsburg Inn because it was a milestone birthday for her. Essentially, she wants to stay a week for what my sister and I paid to stay one night...ain't gonna happen.
I have no issues paying for quality if I can afford it. It’s why so many probably have a legitimate complaint about WDW ticket/hotel prices. CW is looking to enhance experiences while trying to be more inclusive. Disney seems to be trying to charge more with less added benefits. Just a thought.

My last three trips (and two upcoming) are at the Williamsburg Inn. Off hand I can't remember exactly how much my last Disney trip was, but I think if I add the cost of nine nights at the Inn (we do the package plan that also includes breakfast) meals, and the car service to/from Richmond Airport, it's probably less than or may close to that last Disney trip (that was only 7 nights). Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed Disney, I just feel I'm getting more "bang for my buck" at CW. The last time I was at Disney, we at Port Orleans. The Williamsburg Inn is a true five star hotel and experience. The service is beyond exceptional. As I said, I've now stayed there three times, each trip months apart. Still, the gentlemen in bell services remember and greet my sister and I by name. Any time I've had to call down to the front desk with a request (ice, towels, whatever), someone's always been at the door to fulfill the request almost before I hang up the phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!