Your fantasy 18th century Ball (The imaginary dream kingdom)

Would You Go To an 18th Century Style Ball?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if I could leave my kids at home

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yes if I could bring my kids

• No if children are there

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes if it was styled modern

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No if it was styled modern

• Yes if it was styled 18th century

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No if it was styled 18th century

• Total voters
I have a secret wish that if I have the money to do the super expensive wedding after closing in the Magic Kingdom, I would try to move heaven and earth to have the reception/ball in the Be Our Guest restaurant. If you remove all the chairs and tables, you have a ballroom again :)

What no tv and internet can do for you ;-)

I was literally thinking the Be Our Guest restaurant as the venue if Disney did it in Magic Kingdom. Transport to the ball by an 18th century monorail system. 🚝 🤣 What is the capacity for the Be Our Guest restaurant anyway?

Last edited:
I like how in all of these period movies and shows there's this grand ball and everyone knows how to dance every dance perfectly. Did they really put in that much time learning and perfecting all the new steps? Because that's a lot of work. But I guess they were all nobility so they had a lot of time on their hands....
Being able to dance well and play an instrument proficiently were considered to be necessary skills. There were specific teachers for dance and music in noble families for centuries. For example, part of the downfall of Catherine Howard, Henry the Eighth’s fifth wife, was due to a love triangle she was involved in as a young teenager, one of whom was her music instructor Henry Mannox. The nobility wanted to be considered accomplished in every aspect of life, and considering that music and dance were a primary form of entertainment, they were treated very seriously.

I like how in all of these period movies and shows there's this grand ball and everyone knows how to dance every dance perfectly. Did they really put in that much time learning and perfecting all the new steps? Because that's a lot of work. But I guess they were all nobility so they had a lot of time on their hands....

Actually, common people could have known how to dance like that to a degree if you went to "finishing school" or if you could afford to be taught by an instructor. I think the difference of the dance comes from the divide between baroque/minuet and English country dance (I am not a dance expert). Both were used in the time period but it depended on where the event was located and what social class was hosting (village vs. noble).

I once looked into going to the ball at Versailles. But the costs for the event plus trip, accomodation and all the costumes, wigs and make up were getting out of hand ;-)

places that have ready made costumes and wigs:

https://www.heritagecostumes.com/cart.html

https://www.candyapplecostumes.com/

Colonial Williamsburg is also known for making and selling 18th century clothing as well.
https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/
Colonial Williamsburg would be a great partner for Disney if they did a ball.

Don't like to dress up in fancy costumes, the whole time period does not interest me, the idea of acting like a spoiled silly noble person at a ball is not me at all.

The first two points I understand but the last point I disagree in the sense that while that's your opinion, I have not seen people act in that spoiled personality at balls before. People that I know that have gone to those types of events never acted like that there. Personalities don't usually change at events, your always still you. But I guess that's what I just believe.🙂

Thanks to everyone who responded and voted so far. What food or entertainment would you dream to see at a ball? :jumping3:

I would if it had modern clothing. I'm not a fan of 18th century fashion, with the exception of the corsets, which I think would be magnificent as part of a modern-styled gown.

I also would love a high-end, formal masquerade ball. I already have a gown and mask designed for such an occasion, as well as my husband's outfit, should it ever arise.

I would if it had modern clothing. I'm not a fan of 18th century fashion, with the exception of the corsets, which I think would be magnificent as part of a modern-styled gown.

I also would love a high-end, formal masquerade ball. I already have a gown and mask designed for such an occasion, as well as my husband's outfit, should it ever arise.

Cool. I hope Disney keeps an eye on this thread to make this a reality one day. Most balls today give you the option to wear either 18th century styles or modern evening attire. I have seen people also mix both styles together. :jumping3: 🏰

I once looked into going to the ball at Versailles. But the costs for the event plus trip, accommodation and all the costumes, wigs and make up were getting out of hand ;-)

I'm curious, do you still live in the Netherlands 🇳🇱? I ask because I'm wondering if most European counties hold multiple reenactment balls in different towns/cities in your experience or is that type of event only available on a limited basis? These balls seem to be popular across the U.S. but I don't know how popular they in Europe in general compared to the couple I see advertised. 🌍

I was just thinking about that music video "Masquerade" by Eric Saade when you mentioned a high end masked ball. 🤣 🎭 🏰

This is from the Colonial Williamsburg website concerning the dress code for their Mr. Jefferson's Palace Garden Party:

"Costumes
To create a fully immersive experience, we encourage all guests to dress in their finest historic attire, but costumes are not required. Evening attire is an alternative; however, we do encourage all to accessorize with 18th-century pieces (such as a hat or fan). "

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/events/mr-jeffersons-palace-garden-party/
So I think that modern outfit idea of yours would probably be fine at most similar ball events. :)

I'm curious, do you still live in the Netherlands 🇳🇱? I ask because I'm wondering if most European counties hold multiple reenactment balls in different towns/cities in your experience or is that type of event only available on a limited basis? These balls seem to be popular across the U.S. but I don't know how popular they in Europe in general compared to the couple I see advertised. 🌍
Yes, still Dutch and in the Netherlands. And no, balls are not a big thing here. The only big ones I know about are the ball at Versailles, which is more a dress up event, and the in Vienna they do still have a debutant ball, old school style, but I don't believe that it is something you go to visit. That is a formal event on invitation.(at least last time I checked)

I am sure that on occasion castles around Europe have some kind of costumed event for promotions etc, but that is then usually not for guests to participate in.

I do know there are at least 2 dance groups in the Netherlands that teaches 17-19th Century dances, and they do give demonstrations but they are not really close to my home.

Yes, still Dutch and in the Netherlands. And no, balls are not a big thing here. The only big ones I know about are the ball at Versailles, which is more a dress up event, and the in Vienna they do still have a debutant ball, old school style, but I don't believe that it is something you go to visit. That is a formal event on invitation.(at least last time I checked)

I am sure that on occasion castles around Europe have some kind of costumed event for promotions etc, but that is then usually not for guests to participate in.

I do know there are at least 2 dance groups in the Netherlands that teaches 17-19th Century dances, and they do give demonstrations but they are not really close to my home.

Thanks for the insight. I find it interesting that we Americans seem to do reenactment events more than the Europeans. I guess we try to embrace our short history more since it is less than 400 years old compared to European history. By the way, I think the Netherlands is a beautiful country and has wonderful people. I hope to visit there one day since I have some Dutch ancestry (I think from Haarlem) . I look forward to seeing the Dutch national team trying to rebuild a decent team to have a chance at Euro 2021. I hope the weather is nice there, we are having a heat wave at the moment where I live. 🥵 🤣

How much would you be willing to pay for a ticket to a ball? The minimum to the maximum price, assuming the ticket includes an appetizer, meal, and dessert? 🎟

I can see that. That's why I was thinking Disney could pull something like this off. One ball made for families and another one for only adults. They could do it in their theme parks or in their hotels. After the Covid-19 crisis is over (I'm hoping for a valid vaccine within a year) Disney will be looking for events to do to recuperate lost revenue. This would do that. They have the infrastructure to design an authentic experience. The family ball could be more classic Disney and the adult ball more classic 18th century like most reenactment balls. Historical communities have lost revenue over the years due to the stagnant economy. If Disney worked with those communities in designing an 18th century ball that could help give them needed exposure. Disney could even make it a charity event. Disney's public relations could always be improved.

As far as costumes, wigs, and accessories, I think that just depends where you look. I have also seen people make their own costumes from book designs from The American Duchess and also do their own 18th century hairstyles on YouTube. So I think their may be ways to make that part less expensive and more affordable. It just takes some time and effort. But I totally agree with you that the ticket prices for the Grand Masked Ball at the palace of Versailles are priced exorbitantly. That's why Disney may be the answer to having a similar (but more affordable) experience.

I like this idea - they could hold it in the Be Our Guest ballroom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter