Your favorite activities OUTSIDE the parks

sara74

DIS Veteran
As I posted in another thread we are adding 3 days on to the beginning of our trip that will be just me (6 mos PG) and the 2 kids. We are going to stay out of the parks until DH can join us so he doesn't miss the magic of seeing them see WDW for the first time. Any tips on what to do with the kids for 3 days other than swimming in the pool the whole time? I was thinking AKL to see the animals at the resort, DTD for the Legos, Ft. Wilderness for the petting zoo. Are these things worth doing or would you recommend I take them to SeaWorld or something else on one of those days?
Thanks for your tips.

I'm not sure what to do with children as young as yours but when we've taken DHs niece and nephew we did DTD as well as rented various water craft (water mice and pontoon boats) on our park free days. Doesn't Ft. Wilderness have campfire time that includes movies? This might be an option. I think they even have hay rides. This might fulfill an afternoon/evening when included with the petting zoo.

Playmobile Orlando Florida Mall 8001 So. Orange Blossom Trail 1-407-812-6336
We are going to try this when we go down. I think it will be similar to Lego but we don't do Legos in our home. They never went over well. Also we will be trying
http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/
pick our own fruit. I hope they have fresh limes for good margaritas. Can not wait. LOL

Lots of the resorts have tons of activities for the kids. AKL has cookie decorating, my kids loved it! They had something for almost every hour of the day. Boardwalk has activites too.

You can certainly fill a few hours at Fort Wilderness. There are children's activities every afternoon (last Feb they were at 2-3pm, daily crafts, stories, etc). You can take the kids on a pony ride ($3 each), look at the horses in the barn, play at the beach, feed the fish from the dock, go for a swim, and more. Adjacent to the pool is a playground. Just across from the pool, over the bridge, is the trading post where you can poke around, play checkers, and get some snacks or souvenirs. The singalong is at 7pm, Chip n Dale arrive, and then the outdoor movie starts at 7:40. These all take place at the campfire and you can buy marshmellow and sticks. The playground, pool, store, campfire are all in the same area.

If you are coming in from another resort you will have to take a bus down from the parking lot as you can't drive around in Fort Wilderness unless you are going to your site. There are no parking spots either at the beach area (near pony rides and barn) and only 15 min parking at the store. Ask at your resort for directions on the best way to get there etc.

oops just realized I should say that the times and prices are based on when we were there. Check into that before you get to FW. You can call the bike barn at ext 2545 for info on the children's activities and I bet they could help you with any other questions. The wagon rides are at night 7-9 pm.

Not sure you are wondering about in Orlando, but we absolutely love Seaworld. It is really worth a day there in addition to Disney and very different. We probably can't squeeze it in this time as it is about $50 or so a day per person ,but so worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter