Your favorite DL little detail that you love!

ChrissyLou, I CANNOT figure this out in my head. Is this down in the Hungry Bear seating area? Around there? Or someplace else? I just can't visualize it at all. Thank you!
Before Hungry Bear. Harbor Galley is directly across from Haunted Mansion. Walk into the Harbor Galley area as if you're going to order something and stick to the right (river side) and you'll see the path. You go by Fowlers Inn, go up some stairs (can't remember if that is before the Inn or after) and the path winds around, there is a seating area and tables too. It's a neat quieter little spot that I don't think everyone knows is there because unless you're really looking for it, it's easily missed. It lets you out near the entrance to the Explorer Canoes and then Hungry Bear is right there.

The lightbulb at Coke Corner that is half red, half white
Doubloon- the horse with the gold tooth, and Jingles, Walt's favourite

I used to LOVE seeing climbers on the Matterhorn, not sure if they do that still.

It's not a secret, but I love the Here You Leave Today plaque as you pass beneath the train bridge into Main Street. It's as if Walt himself is welcoming me to the park. All the hubub of parking and security is behind, and now the (magical) day begins.

I am going to make a long list of all these wonderful things to take with me when I go in November. I can't wait to seek out so many new delights!

It's not a secret, but I love the Here You Leave Today plaque as you pass beneath the train bridge into Main Street. It's as if Walt himself is welcoming me to the park. All the hubub of parking and security is behind, and now the (magical) day begins.

I am going to make a long list of all these wonderful things to take with me when I go in November. I can't wait to seek out so many new delights!

I am definitely going to look for that. (Our first trip to DL is this September.)

I have so many memories about DL as I grew up in SoCal and have gone many times - but as I experienced a few months ago, there is always something new to discover. It happened like this:

My husband and I were taking a break on one of the benches in the little plaza at the end of main street around the flag pole around dusk. All of a sudden, we noticed a line of the security guards marching with the marching band toward the plaza and we were lucky to witness the flag lowering ceremony - it's hard for me to describe how emotional and touching this was - they paid tribute to the armed forces and asked for members of the different forces to step forward one at a time - a gentleman with a picture of a loved one brought it forward when they called one of the forces - it was so Disney and so sweet - I get a little misty just thinking about it - if you can happen to watch this it is one of the things that really epitomizes the culture of Disney for me.

I have so many memories about DL as I grew up in SoCal and have gone many times - but as I experienced a few months ago, there is always something new to discover. It happened like this:

My husband and I were taking a break on one of the benches in the little plaza at the end of main street around the flag pole around dusk. All of a sudden, we noticed a line of the security guards marching with the marching band toward the plaza and we were lucky to witness the flag lowering ceremony - it's hard for me to describe how emotional and touching this was - they paid tribute to the armed forces and asked for members of the different forces to step forward one at a time - a gentleman with a picture of a loved one brought it forward when they called one of the forces - it was so Disney and so sweet - I get a little misty just thinking about it - if you can happen to watch this it is one of the things that really epitomizes the culture of Disney for me.

Yes! The Flag Retreat Ceremony is something everyone should witness at least once. I believe it's at 4:30 every day. They also choose one service person (current, retired, veteran) and honor him/her before the ceremony with a commemorative keepsake medal. My BF was recognized once (USMC) and it was quite special!

We also love the "secret" pathway behind the Harbor Galley (over near the Haunted Mansion/Splash). If you walk around the restaurant towards the River you get a great view of the Columbia, Mark Twain and you'll see the Splash riders below you after they've gone down the big drop. You'll come out in Critter Country. It's not really a secret, but it's still a spot that I bet the majority of guests don't know is there.
Thanks for this one! I made a point to visit it last week. A very quiet and lovely spot.

Well - mine is for a ride that's since been re-themed, but I remember getting stuck on Tower of Terror. It just stopped and after they got it running again we were allowed to go back again, although a few people bailed.

But while we were stuck there was a recorded message asking us to stay calm and wait for further instructions while they sorted things out. But it was in a spooky voice like you'd imagine in a horror/monster movie and was very appropriate for the theme. Also when we were stuck we could basically see everything, and even the concrete looked weathered like it was 60 years old. They put that much detail into something that most riders would flash right by in a split second. I get putting little details into the boiler room, but in the shaft was another matter.

I think it's pretty cool how the Tiki Room and Tropical Hideaway are actually the backside of Jolly Holiday bakery. They share the same building.
Not sure how that is possible considering how they open up the path behind the buildings for traffic to exit the parks after fantasmic and the parade.

I always make a point to stop by the petrified tree near the ROA. Amazing to me that Walt Disney shipped a 5 ton piece of "rock" from Colorado to Disneyland (in 1957)!
Being from Colorado Springs and having seen Disney's picture on the wall of visitors at the Broadmoor many times, I found the following story quite interesting.

http://www.disneyhistoryinstitute.com/2014/10/dhi-mythbusters-edition-truth-about.html
Also...remember the answer to the oldest attraction in DL!!!

I was so happy to get the plaque on a keychain a couple of years ago!

We also love the "secret" pathway behind the Harbor Galley (over near the Haunted Mansion/Splash). If you walk around the restaurant towards the River you get a great view of the Columbia, Mark Twain and you'll see the Splash riders below you after they've gone down the big drop. You'll come out in Critter Country. It's not really a secret, but it's still a spot that I bet the majority of guests don't know is there.
We love watching the floats from Fantasmic go by as we stand on the 'secret' pathway. The CMs always stay in character even when the lights are off of them and are so good about waving to us even there!

I always make a point to stop by the petrified tree near the ROA. Amazing to me that Walt Disney shipped a 5 ton piece of "rock" from Colorado to Disneyland (in 1957)!
Being from Colorado Springs and having seen Disney's picture on the wall of visitors at the Broadmoor many times, I found the following story quite interesting.

http://www.disneyhistoryinstitute.com/2014/10/dhi-mythbusters-edition-truth-about.html
Also...remember the answer to the oldest attraction in DL!!!
I love looking for the picture of Walt in the Broadmoor, too! Thank you for posting this article- it was a fun read! Now I have something else to look for and think about in Frontierland!

ChrissyLou, I CANNOT figure this out in my head. Is this down in the Hungry Bear seating area? Around there? Or someplace else? I just can't visualize it at all. Thank you!
This little path is by the Harbor Galley, where the dry dock is for the Mark Twain and Columbia Ship. If you go past the little dining area you'll be on a small path that goes over the flume area after the logs splash down from Splash Mountain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!