Your favorite DL little detail that you love!

I love this thread! So many little details to love at DL...I love finding (again) all the hidden mickeys and going to Frontierland in the morning when everyone else went to Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. In my family we even use the expression "it's very Frontierland in the morning" when we're talking about something calm and quiet that we like!

Also love just walking through the gates and seeing the sign “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

Oh boy, there are so many!
  • all the decorative details in New Orleans Square
  • hearing the telegraph near NOS train station
  • all of the window signs on Main Street
  • the seagulls saying "Mine! Mine! Mine!" on the water at the Nemo submarines
  • all of the fun interactive stuff to play with in Toon Town
  • the entire train ride around the park
  • the museum exhibits in the waiting area of Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
  • reading the head stones in the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion queue
  • the sounds of the townspeople in Rainbow Ridge in the queue of BTMRR
  • the topiaries at IASW
  • how the Evil Queen comes out and cackles at you when you touch the apple as you enter the Snow White queue
  • the Shrunken Ned machine in Adventureland. I think it's in the eating area now for Bengal BBQ. It's hilarious and you get a really funny prescription card as a cheap souvenir to take home for about $0.75.
  • the interactive stuff on Tom Sawyer's Island, especially in some of the caves. Touch the gold bar and something jumps out at you.
  • Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes - if you're physically able, you should totally experience this attraction. yes, it requires some work. But it is a really awesome way to experience the Rivers of America. They often only have this attraction open on busy days. So in the "off season" during the week, it would not be open.

As the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride comes to a close, the train car will loop back around to the boarding area. As it does, you pass a row of scaled down replicas of buildings from the old west. I love the details, from the lights that are on to curtains and other things in the window, and I love that they’re scaled down. There is an intense fascination over the level of detail paired with the scaled down size….as if you are to believe that the building is actually funcational for miniature people or something. It’s not just a cheap façade where you can easily look around the corner and see the careless underpinnings This, as we’ve seen over the history of the park(s) is what makes Disney stand out above the rest. Their prized attention to detail and an unmatched sense of aesthetics, all masterfully combined to transport anyone of any age to a different time and place.
Space Mountain (before the late 90’s makeover?). After you exit the ride and are making your way through that corridors of the building there are historic Nasa photos of planets and stars with the names of the missions that took them. I’ve searched high and low online for photos of this part of the ride and have not been able to find them yet.
The green metal railings all along the landscaping in the area in front of the castle and tomorrowland. They are simple but they always look freshly painted in that beautiful green color.
The souvenir/newstand to the left, right after you pass the ticket gates, just before the railroad bridge, especialy a night when the lights are on. Even in this digital age I have a desire to buy a postcard book (you know, the postcards that are all joined by perforated folds and open out into a long strip of postcards).
The smell of the water and mist in Pirates of the Carribean

As the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride comes to a close, the train car will loop back around to the boarding area. As it does, you pass a row of scaled down replicas of buildings from the old west. I love the details, from the lights that are on to curtains and other things in the window, and I love that they’re scaled down. There is an intense fascination over the level of detail paired with the scaled down size….as if you are to believe that the building is actually funcational for miniature people or something. It’s not just a cheap façade where you can easily look around the corner and see the careless underpinnings This, as we’ve seen over the history of the park(s) is what makes Disney stand out above the rest. Their prized attention to detail and an unmatched sense of aesthetics, all masterfully combined to transport anyone of any age to a different time and place.

Yes! So agree! At the Walt Disney Family Museum in SF (highly recommend to those who have never been), there's a small display of some of Walt's miniatures, and it talks about how much he loved them. I know the BTMRR houses aren't exactly tiny miniatures on that scale, but that's what it makes me think of. Walt would have loved that tiny detail in those houses.

YES! My favorite!!

Ok so for those water smell enthusiasts....would you say that it's different between the different water based rides (Small World, Splash Mountain, etc.)?

It’s strongest on Pirates. I think it’s the length of the ride, the mist, and the fact that you don’t re-emerge until the end. I think Splash does have a similar smell in parts, but there’s a little more in and out, so maybe it doesn’t last as long and I don’t notice it as much? I don’t notice it at all on Small World.

Space Mountain (before the late 90’s makeover?). After you exit the ride and are making your way through that corridors of the building there are historic Nasa photos of planets and stars with the names of the missions that took them. I’ve searched high and low online for photos of this part of the ride and have not been able to find them yet.
The green metal railings all along the landscaping in the area in front of the castle and tomorrowland. They are simple but they always look freshly painted in that beautiful green color.
The souvenir/newstand to the left, right after you pass the ticket gates, just before the railroad bridge, especialy a night when the lights are on. Even in this digital age I have a desire to buy a postcard book (you know, the postcards that are all joined by perforated folds and open out into a long strip of postcards).
Yes!! All of these!

Another one....

The train station at tomorrow land, at night when the lights are on and your waiting for the train. The fact that its sorta tucked away behind America Sings (did I just date myself there? Ha ha ha :P)

The scaled down street lights and overpass/bridges of the Autopia (or whatever that attraction is called now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!