Your favorite dog breed and why...

I love all dogs and cats hence my username lol. I don't have a dog now but growing up we had or I should say I had because he was definitely my baby a yellow lab Queensland heeler mix. Chester was a really good boy. Now living on my own in an apartment I have a tortishell cat and she is so sweet.

I generally love most dogs, but with a few exceptions. I don't like tough looking dogs, they just don't appeal to me. I prefer cute dogs. I also don't care for or at least would never own a dog that sheds. The constant hair everywhere would drive me nuts. I don't like to clean that much. I so wish golden retrievers didn't shed. Such nice dogs.
IMG_9160.jpg

We have/had two Bichons, which obviously I love but when Ollie died, we didn't get another Bichon. Wanted to go bigger (medium size-40 lbs) and not so white.

We went with a wheaten terrier and I can honestly say I've never seen a cuter dog. My heart swells every time I see him. This is Murphy, 8 months. I really love having a bigger, more solid dog. So much fun.

Last edited:
I generally love most dogs, but with a few exceptions. I don't like tough looking dogs, they just don't appeal to me. I prefer cute dogs. I also don't care for or at least would never own a dog that sheds. The constant hair everywhere would drive me nuts. I don't like to clean that much. I so wish golden retrievers didn't shed. Such nice dogs.View attachment 496683

We have/had two Bichons, which obviously I love but when Ollie died, we didn't get another Bichon. Wanted to go bigger (medium size-40 lbs) and not so white.

We went with a wheaten terrier and I can honestly say I've never seen a cuter dog. swells every time I see him. This is Murphy, 8 months. I really love having a bigger, more solid dog. So much fun.
Usually not a fan of purple tank tops but it does look darn good on Murphy. :)

I generally love most dogs, but with a few exceptions. I don't like tough looking dogs, they just don't appeal to me. I prefer cute dogs. I also don't care for or at least would never own a dog that sheds. The constant hair everywhere would drive me nuts. I don't like to clean that much. I so wish golden retrievers didn't shed. Such nice dogs.
View attachment 496683

We went with a wheaten terrier and I can honestly say I've never seen a cuter dog. My heart swells every time I see him. This is Murphy, 8 months. I really love having a bigger, more solid dog. So much fun.

He is so very cute! He doesn't shed? How often does he have to be groomed? Does he get matted easily?

We had a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog named Daisy, and she was the most polite, well-tempered dog--perfect for our family. Our youngest was only 2 when we got her. Often, I would find our daughter using Daisy as a pillow, and Daisy let her lay for as long as she liked. As our family grew and our youngest became old enough to babysit, I loved knowing that Daisy was there. She was a great sense of security with her size and powerful bark or "baroo." She was a perfect lady, and I hated saying good-bye.

I wanted another Swissy but an opportunity arose a couple of months ago for us to get a Bernese Mountain Dog. My oh my! He's absolutely adorable but has the total opposite of Daisy's personality. I laugh and tell my girls that he's the hyperactive younger brother they never had. He's named "Sam" after Samwise Gamgee in "The Lord of the Rings." At 5-months-old he's got a ways to go, but he really has great family dog potential. He's eager to please, affectionate, and finally getting the house-training thing down. I don't doubt he'll be as loyal to us as Sam was to Frodo. Heaven help me through the puppy phase!

Greater Swiss or Bernese, I just love the Mountain Dogs for our family.
I adopted a 5 yr old Bernese that we named Sam. He was the best. My special needs son would ride on him. You could literally put a piece of steak in his mouth and take it right out.

Every 8-10 weeks but in summer I'll go every 6 weeks with a shorter summer cut to keep him cool. I am good at keeping him brushed to prevent matting. If any mats appear I cut them out before they spread. I brush him at least every other day. It's been a process getting him used to being brushed, hates having his legs brushed but it's starting to get better. I've been brushing my two bichons and grooming them for years so it just comes with having a non-shedding dog. I won't groom Murphy though, still too young. Maybe once he settles down.

He is so very cute! He doesn't shed? How often does he have to be groomed? Does he get matted easily?
Every 8-10 weeks but in summer I'll go every 6 weeks with a shorter summer cut to keep him cool. I am good at keeping him brushed to prevent matting. If any mats appear I cut them out before they spread. I brush him at least every other day. It's been a process getting him used to being brushed, hates having his legs brushed but it's starting to get better. I've been brushing my two bichons and grooming them for years so it just comes with having a non-shedding dog. I won't groom Murphy though, still too young. Maybe once he settles down.

Border collies. They are incredibly easy to train and very loyal.

But they are kinda anxious.

This little dude is a border collie/beagle mix. He turned five last month.

Labs are pretty great, too. They are super lovable, but get distracted easy. Our two 1/2 year old still thinks she is a puppy. She is a dudley, so she's got a pink nose and pink around her eyes.

Last edited:
View attachment 496683

So cute!! So much floof!

Grooming was the biggest challenge for me going from German Shepherds to a Cairn Terrier. I completely adore the dog but I hate the grooming process. He’s not wild about it, either. I think grooming is tough for dogs, especially if the grooming needs are complex. Cairns are supposed to be hand-stripped, but most owners don’t do that. Some shave them, but I didn’t want to do that, either, as it changes the coat to just the soft undercoat when really they are supposed to keep their rough outer coat. So we do a modified stripping (and not actually hand stripping at all). I learned to groom myself but prefer to send him to the groomer as it’s too stressful. It took me a long time to find one who could do it right, and then she left the business. :guilty: Anyone can shave a dog down, but getting them to look their best the way their breed description calls for is a lot more difficult. Something to think about when getting a dog with big grooming needs - especially if what attracted you to the dog was the way they look. It’s very expensive too; costs me three times more than I spend having my own hair cut! And he’s small!

A5AD0423-8593-4860-8D03-B482B6475365.jpeg

Last edited:
Grooming was the biggest challenge for me going from German Shepherds to a Cairn Terrier. I completely adore the dog but I hate the grooming process. He’s not wild about it, either. I think grooming is tough for dogs, especially if the grooming needs are complex. Cairns are supposed to be hand-stripped, but most owners don’t do that. Some shave them, but I didn’t want to do that, either, as it changes the coat to just the soft undercoat when really they are supposed to keep their rough outer coat. So we do a modified stripping (and not actually hand stripping at all). I learned to groom myself but prefer to send him to the groomer as it’s too stressful. It took me a long time to find one who could do it right, and then she left the business. :guilty: Anyone can shave a dog down, but getting them to look their best the way their breed description calls for is a lot more difficult. Something to think about when getting a dog with big grooming needs - especially if what attracted you to the dog was the way they look. It’s very expensive too; costs me three times more than I spend having my own hair cut! And he’s small!

View attachment 496817
What does that mean-hand stripped?

I have 2 hounds we adopted from the Humane Society. Apparently, the shelters in the north have a hard time keeping up with demand, and the southern shelters are overwhelmed. So a few years ago, they started a swap/ transport program to help supply to high demand areas. That's how I got my 2 girls! Both came from central Louisiana, about an hour from one another, a little over a year apart. Abby is a redbone coonhound and Elly is a Mountain Cur/Catahoula mix. Both a very rare breed in the southeast Michigan area and they get lots of attention when we walk them.

Abby is a lover - sweet and calm. She does run laps around the yard at full speed several times a day, but then comes in to crash & sleep her life away. Elly is a lover - attacks to give kisses, climbs everything, chases all small animals and birds in the yard, and would love to chase the family cat but luckily, she's mean and scary to the dogs.33420.jpeg

Here they are comforting me after I had surgery a few months ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!