your favorite mode of transportation with an ECV

kat_balou

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I'm new here and planning our first WDW trip in Sept. I'm going to be renting an ECV and I'm not sure whether to plan on using the bus system, rent our own car or use a taxi/town car service. I also have a 10 yr. old son with autism.

For those of you who rent ECVs which mode of transportation do you prefer?

I usually just use Disney transportation. It has been okay. I'm going again in 10 days and really hope it continues to work well!

We got tired of feeling like we were putting everyone out so now we rent an SUV for our ECV. It works better for us.

Most of the rental ECVs range from 140 to 190 pounds, with the heaviest piece being from 40 to 60 pounds. If you will be renting a car it can be difficult getting all of the pieces into the trunk of the car. And if you are using an SUV you will still probably have to break it down unless you have two strrong people who can lift it into the back.

Most of the rental ECVs range from 140 to 190 pounds, with the heaviest piece being from 40 to 60 pounds. If you will be renting a car it can be difficult getting all of the pieces into the trunk of the car. And if you are using an SUV you will still probably have to break it down unless you have two strrong people who can lift it into the back.

That's true - we have to break the ECV down. My husband doesn't have mobility issues like I do and he has no problem doing the break down and lifting

I take my own 3 wheeled ECV now but have rented off-site while at WDW for 9 years. I use the Disney transportation, busses, boats, and monorail.
One time we rented a van but I found it easier to use Disney especially when going to MK. Do you have a Handicap parking permit? If not let the parking attendent know you need to park near the H/P area because of the scooter.

Hi everyone. I'm new here and planning our first WDW trip in Sept. I'm going to be renting an ECV and I'm not sure whether to plan on using the bus system, rent our own car or use a taxi/town car service. I also have a 10 yr. old son with autism.

For those of you who rent ECVs which mode of transportation do you prefer?

Stay at an Epcot area hotel (Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk) and halve your transport problems!

These resorts have access to DHS & Epcot by accessible boats, or by paths.

The concensus on this board is that MK is best acessed by bus (unless you are staying at a monorail resort) because parking is remote from the park.

True, you would still need to use buses or a car for Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney and the water parks, but your problem would be halved.

I normally stay at Boardwalk, using a power wheelchair. I usually ride direct to DHS & Epcot, occasionally returning by boat if my batteries are low. I never go to water parks because I can't transfer in & out of water. Buses suit me fine for AK, MK and DTD.

If you were really concerned about there being space for your ECV on the bus, you could always ride over to the Swan (first pick-up) in the morning to ensure an empty bus.

Andrew

Stay at an Epcot area hotel (Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk) and halve your transport problems!

I will remember this for the next trip. We're going to be staying at CBR.

The concensus on this board is that MK is best acessed by bus (unless you are staying at a monorail resort) because parking is remote from the park.

So what is it like after Spectro & Wishes trying to board a bus back to the resort with an ECV? How long should I expect to wait? Are there any tips I should know or just practice patience?

So what is it like after Spectro & Wishes trying to board a bus back to the resort with an ECV? How long should I expect to wait? Are there any tips I should know or just practice patience?

With an ECV, you (and your party) go to the front of the line and are boarded first. It is a Disney rule that ECVs and wheelchairs must always be loaded first. The only exceptions are a) if the bus is already full on arrival, b) if you arrive at the stop while loading is already in progress or c) if there are two wheelchairs/ECVs already on the bus or waiting to load ahead of you.

Your biggest problem leaving Magic Kingdom will be getting through the mass of abandoned strollers in the tunnel under the train station. <g>

Andrew

Most of the rental ECVs range from 140 to 190 pounds, with the heaviest piece being from 40 to 60 pounds. If you will be renting a car it can be difficult getting all of the pieces into the trunk of the car.

Do you think we could fit a broken down ECV and 4 people in a regular taxi if we need to use one or a taxi van?

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Do you have to break the ECV down to fit in a minivan?

Depends on how many of the seats you are using and what else you have in the van. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and my ECV won't fit whole unless we remove the last seat (ours is older and doesn't have seats that fold into the floor like some of the new vans).

Do you think we could fit a broken down ECV and 4 people in a regular taxi if we need to use one or a taxi van?

I don't think you can fit four people into a regular taxi. My broken down ECV fits in the very small trunk of my Sunfire. But I still think you'll need a taxi van for four people.

We rely solely on Disney transportation and haven't had any problems recently, except getting an Epcot bus at Pop. We were down Jun 7-10 and that was the only issue, slowness of Epcot busses, or I should say lack thereof. All of the other busses would have multiples come and go before one for Epcot came.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter