Your favorite Resort For Your Kiddo With ASD?

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
Our DD has made 5 trips to WDW in her 7 years and so far we have tried POR, All Star Music, Caribbean Beach (x2), Contemporary (north Garden Wing right before it was tore down to make way for BLT) and the Polynesian. The Polynesian and the Contemporary were of course the most convenient to MK and Epcot and we didn't have to fold the special needs stroller every time we boarded. That was a big plus and was was the room size. The downside of the Polynesian is that the main pool was always too crowded for DD to be comfortable in. You couldn't stretch out your arms without touching someone else. We have decided against the All Stars, not because of the room being small but because too many school groups and sports teams were staying there.

We love all of the resorts (DH and I have stayed in many others before DD was born) but so far haven't stayed in a DVC resort. We are seriously considering a 1 bedroom villa at OKW for our next trip. What resort seems to work best for your child?

I have 2 sons- a 13 yr old with ADHD and some asd traits and a 14 yr old with Asperger's.. We had stayed at many resorts- POP, PFQ, POR, Contemp, Poly aBeach Club and AKL.. Last summer, we bought DVC and had our first stay at OKW in a one bedroom. It was INSTANT LOVE... First, there is all the extra room- everyone was able to find a little calm down space.. Also, it is a bit "away" and not so "in your face" Disney- this was soothing for my Aspie. He says that sometimes all the bright disney colors bother him. Of course, there is the full size kitchen so feeding for breakfast or any other meal when a restaurant is too much makes it easy. Also, the pools ( even the main one) seem much calmer than all the other resorts.. Also, they have the best community room staff. There were 2 evenngs last summer when it stormed bad.. Instead of us all being holed up in the room and everyone going nuts, we went there. They offer so much and it's a HUGE room so there was room for everyone and my Aspie didnt feel stressed. You can also take the boat to DTD which was a relaxing ride..Oh and don't forget, there is the whirlpool tub- great for in the evening when mom needs "calgon to take her away." LOL
Within minutes, my aspie told me that we could never stay anywhere else..

I think a DVC resort with kitchen facilities fits in very well with having a child with special needs. However, we were disappointed in the quality of the room in our only on site stay so far at the boardwalk.

To be honest we prefer an off site private villa for many reasons, not least the private pool.
This august we are doing a split stay at the Polynesian before our villa stay, personally the location is very important and I feel being close to a theme park is a big advantage.

For those of you that have stayed at a DVC resort, do you own, rent points or reserve through Disney as a regular room?

For those of you that have stayed at a DVC resort, do you own, rent points or reserve through Disney as a regular room?

We rented points off a DVC owner. Prices can vary depending on the resort and time of year you visit.

I think its really going to depend on the child.

My kid that gets overloaded easy at school and with his little bro doesn't get overloaded with Disney no matter what we do or where we are (I swear all the walking evens him out emotionally, hence why he has to have room to pace at school).

Now mind you, it doesn't seem to matter WHAT resort we stay at we always end up in some quite unpopulated section! 4 trips and I don't think we have yet stayed in a section with more then 1 or 2 other rooms filled in our general area (POFQ 99, Pop Century 08, CBR 09, BC 10). We always joke that they know our kids are LOUD and thus put no one around us!

Hey OP, we bought DVC way back in 1993---OKW is our home resort. I think it would be a great choice out of all the resorts. It has quiet pools, as well as the main pool. Also, you can park right outside the villa, instead of going through a lobby, etc. The little on-site store has a decent selection of different foods/drinks.

Having said that, I had no idea there were so many offsite villas for rent too. Johnny Sharp brings up a great point about having your own pool at many of them. I've often said if we didn't have DVC, we'd have to rent a villa. Our youngest can't fall to sleep with anyone else in the room. So we rent 2 rooms on the drive down, and back. It's hard to describe, since she's typically very under-responsive to everything, but at bedtime, if any of us is with her, she gets increasingly manic and out of control.

OKW is great, it is our decompresion resort (we do split stays) very relaxing and a lot of the time you can have a quiet pool all to yourselves. One bit of warning, once you do a 1br going back to a hotel room for any amount of time is really hard.

bookwormde

One bit of warning, once you do a 1br going back to a hotel room for any amount of time is really hard.

bookwormde

That is what I am afraid of. But I have stayed at Deluxe and gone back to moderate and value. Probably not the same though....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter