Your hometown news source

NFLDERS

Stay Safe
Care to share?

Mine is The Spec of Hamilton, Ontario. My first go to read is a humour column writer whose family I grew up with. I'm so attached to my hometown news that, even though it was 32C in our small town, we made our trek to pick up the Saturday paper, (they sell out fast!) and our other favourite McCafe' coffee!

His feature today was about the cost of raising a child today. He'd over heard a conversation of a few young men; They were saying $255,000. If you had to put a price tag on this priceless endeavor what would you say?

Here are some of his wranglings, as I call them. ;)

Paul Benedetti - thespec.com - The Hamilton Spectator

Last edited:
As a kid my dad owned our local paper and some other smalltown papers - he was smart enough to sell when they were worth way more:) Now he does cool internet marketing consulting so he can make his own schedule and play as much tennis whenever he wants...lol.

I stay very up on the news, but because I'm always in transit, I do not may attention to local news like I should. I do show up anytime the polls are open though.

I live in a large metro area, and we have traditionally had our choice of multiple news sources. Also - the difference between print and broadcast news is kind of blurred these days, since "newspapers" include video in their websites, and TV stations have online articles.

So around here it's the San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Times, (San Jose) Mercury News, Marin Independent-Journal, as well as various TV stations and even some smaller newspapers.

I rarely get the print edition any more - it's just kind of expensive and almost everything is available instantly online. On top of that there's consolidation with all of the various ownerships of the local papers. The big one here is the Bay Area News Group, and they've owned a bunch of the papers I mentioned. The East Bay Times is a merger of the former Contra Costa Times and Oakland Tribune.

Our local paper is a joke, their on line edition usually gets the local news about 4 hours after all other sources. My source is my honey and the radio. My honey has a number of news feeds he reads and he tells me anything he thinks I might be interested in.

We still have a regional/local paper that you have to subscribe to. They now have a digital edition, and you can view up to 10 stories a month online without a subscription. We also had a free town specific paper that covered a lot of super local things, many of which didn't make the regional paper. That used to be delivered free weekly, but that stopped a few years back. Once in a while I still see some copies at the library. But overall the most reliable way to view it is online, but the online version is not as comprehensive it seems to me, so I still look forward to occasionally coming across a print version.

We have two local dailies, the Herald and the Sun, both part of national chains. They're declining rapidly though as is all print media, I suppose. They hold more syndicated content than local now, including the news and newspaper reporters and photographers are no longer a regular sight around town. We'll pick up one or the other of them if something extremely notable has happened but we cancelled our subscription three years ago and talk radio and the internet is our go-to for news now although we do watch the supper-hour news on one of the 4 local tv networks a couple of times a week.

I tend to put the Boston news (WCVB) on TV as I'm having coffee in the morning, but another big source of news for me is actually right here on the DIS. - Someone will post about some breaking news, and I'll look it up on line to read the details.

I do also get the "Wicked Local" paper delivered on Wednesdays. It has a version for each of several surrounding towns and covers community happenings, school honor rolls, etc. You can pick it up for free at a couple of locations around town, but it's inexpensive to have it delivered, and I like reading it.

Honestly, Twitter is my main news source. If something HUGE happens, it will be on Facebook too. I'm on my phone a ton during the day so I'm pretty up to date on what's going on.

We have a local paper that comes out weekly. That's right, weekly. They cover things like who grew a potato shaped like a giraffe and who killed a rattlesnake in their yard. The town has barely 2100 residents and our county is around 37,000 so I guess it's not too bad. They do send out breaking news emails and have a Facebook page.

We have a local paper that comes out weekly. That's right, weekly. They cover things like who grew a potato shaped like a giraffe and who killed a rattlesnake in their yard. The town has barely 2100 residents and our county is around 37,000 so I guess it's not too bad. They do send out breaking news emails and have a Facebook page.

My home town is 30,000 and their newspaper is daily but it's pretty much the exact same thing.

I glance through it when I'm home because that's how you find out about live music and spaghetti feeds but that's pretty much the limit of it. They get those things right but they fail at basic fact checking. And their international or national news is usually published days after it actually qualifies as news.

But if you want to know when the pool opens for the season, what the gpa and family history is of the star quarterback at the high school or why there was a fire truck at Safeway last night, there is no better source.

We have a little local weekly that employs one reporter and mostly only covers things that they get press releases about - almost strictly promotional/human interest articles, no investigative or hard news. I get it because I still have my free subscription. I doubt I'll pay to renew when that runs out. I very seldom read the county daily. It is Gannett-owned and made up mostly of syndicated content from other markets. Only the front section and the sports are local, and I can read that online. It isn't worth sifting through all the generic content to read the paper edition.

I would subscribe to my preferred Detroit daily (the Free Press) in a heartbeat, but they don't deliver in my area. We're about 5 miles too far north to be considered part of the metro area according to their delivery and coverage patterns.

I do read the local alternative weekly, the Metro Times, cover to cover every week, and I have digital subscriptions to the NYT and Washington Post for national/global news. But when it comes to good local coverage my area sort of falls through a crack.

I follow a few real young people on twitter who just started working for the local paper, they are anxious to get stuff out, and are young enough to know where the new things are happening

For TV news I watch Fox 8 Cleveland. It was what my parents always watched so I just watch that.

I rarely read a newspaper but if I do it is the Cleveland Plain Dealer. We get the Sunday edition mostly for the ads and coupons

We have a forum on Facebook that is filled with information and I tend to use it more than any other now. Our legislators post, many times live from their meetings, journalists are invited, and town officials post the news as well. We also have our members adding links to local stories as well as national. THe forum can be a bit contentious at times, but for the most part it is informative and allows for a diverse amount if information to be shared and accessed.

While I no longer live in my hometown, I check in with their local paper weekly. It's the Gilroy Dispatch. In addition to this I regularly still read the San Jose Mercury News. I even keep tabs with the local newspaper for where I was living when I was in college, the Union Democrat.

I don't bother reading the local paper where I live these days. All it's filled with is how many people where shot/killed or robbed the day before :(.

We don't have a home town paper any more. It's owned by the same people that publish USA Today. It's garbage. The consolidation in the news industry is dismaying. I used to love reading various newspapers from places. Now it's all the same. You read one you've read em all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!