Your hometown news source

During hurricane sandy a local person started a Weatherman Matt page. Full of timely, helpful storm information. As we had no power for 14 days online on our phones was the easiest way to hear about something. People were tied to his every word.

Months later, we met Weatherman Matt. He was 11 years old.
That was surprising.

While I no longer live in my hometown, I check in with their local paper weekly. It's the Gilroy Dispatch. In addition to this I regularly still read the San Jose Mercury News. I even keep tabs with the local newspaper for where I was living when I was in college, the Union Democrat.

I don't bother reading the local paper where I live these days. All it's filled with is how many people where shot/killed or robbed the day before :(.

:sad1: So saddened to read about your local paper..

Me too. We moved from a low crime rural area in the Pacific Northwest to a large city in the south for DHs job, and it's like night and day.

While I no longer live in my hometown, I check in with their local paper weekly. It's the Gilroy Dispatch. In addition to this I regularly still read the San Jose Mercury News. I even keep tabs with the local newspaper for where I was living when I was in college, the Union Democrat.

I don't bother reading the local paper where I live these days. All it's filled with is how many people where shot/killed or robbed the day before :(.

The issue with a lot of these news sources is that they tend to republish a lot of AP and other sources to save on the costs of hiring reporters. The San Francisco Chronicle reprints a lot of stuff from AP and the Washington Post now.

And the the Bay Area News Group (part of MediaNews) rebranded a bunch of longstanding newspapers and for years have consolidated operations. The writers for The Mercury News and East Bay Tribune (merged from the Contra Costa Times, Oakland Tribune, Fremont Argus, etc) end up in all of their papers/websites. Technically they're dropped "San Jose" from The Mercury News in order to appeal to more people who might read it in San Francisco and the Peninsula. They've taken a lot of smaller local papers and merged them into the Mercury News and East Bay Times brands.

Our local paper is called the Advance-Leader and it was started by my great-grandfather in the early 1900s. He sold it years ago before he died, i think it has gone through 2 or 3 owners since then.

The big paper here is the Sacramento Bee. The smaller town in the outskirts would be the Elk Grove Citizen.

I do find it kind of odd how they couldn't think of a new name when they branched out into other Central Valley cities. And I read they also use a single printing facility now. So they have to send the papers by truck hundreds of miles now.

I'm not sure how many times the "paper" gets printed now. I remember when I could look at the number of stars and see how late the edition was. I remember seeing one copy that was an earlier edition with something like two stars and some really old news. Then I'd compare it to a late edition with five stars and there was news that was fairly recent. And my major Sunday paper was available starting maybe Friday. So it's a Sunday paper but by Sunday the news is already 2 days old. I'd typically flip through to see how late the edition was before I bought it.

My DH really likes to read the actual, physical paper, so we still subscribe the The Courier Journal here in Louisville. I glance at it, but don't use it as my main source of news. I generally try and watch the local evening news and follow the Courier Journal and my favorite local news station on Facebook.

I don't keep up with local news unless a neighbor asks f I heard about something, then I'll check the newspaper's website. If its more than 10 times in a month I'm SOL because I refuse to pay for a subscription. I'll stick with national and world news websites.

We have a terrible local paper, the Sandusky Register. They supposedly win all these awards so somebody is sleeping with somebody or they're bribing the judges with cash. The grammar and typos are pathetic and if the editor doesn't like a comment on a story, he fights with the person who posted it. It's completely immature and unprofessional.

Enquirer.com

No, not the salacious trash mag, it is Cincinnati's paper.

Although I'm not a fan of them as much as our local stations, WLWT and WCPO. Those two I follow online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter