Your Note to Teachers About Missing School...

Please know that the majority of the time, the rule doesn't come from the educators, but rather from the state. In our state, it's actually illegal to not allow kids to make up tests and quizzes. My students are always taking vacations, and I'm happy to give them the work ahead of time. They'll learn a lot of valuable things on those trips. When the kids get back, the class enjoys hearing where they've been and what they've learned. As a teacher, I appreciate being given advance notice. Last year, a student told me the day before that he was leaving for India, and could he please have the work he'd miss for the next four weeks?
Yikes! That's insanely poor planning and horrible presumption on that students family to expect that over night.
I am aware that some states have mandates about missed school. That is not the case in our state with the exception that there are to be no more than 10 unexcused absences in a semester. There is no homework policy at a grade school level in our district. Decisions concerning homework are made by the teacher. That is why I always suggest miss as little time as possible, give plenty of notice, and then be flexible as to what works best for the teacher.
I am glad to see that as an educator you see the importance of learning through travel. I didn't mean my statement to be a generalization of all educators by any means whatsoever. I only meant that I find it disappointing that when their isn't a firm policy or law that an educator would take an authoritarian rule type stance in such a situation. I tend to still view my child's education as my responsibility and not solely the responsibility of law makers or administrators. I appreciate their hard work and effort and the education my child receives but I view it as a team approach where parents should have an active part in decisions being made- not merely turning over their children to be raised and educated within a system. Fortunately where I live this is how our school functions. I have wonderful relationships with everyone from my children's teachers and principal to the members on the school board. I am aware that we are spoiled here compared to other places but I couldn't imagine it any other way. I am very thankful for the opportunity for my kids to go to school in such a well functioning school and district.

I agree that I would make an effort to talk with the teacher in person. Most teachers are more than happy to work with you on getting your kids caught up, but sometimes they are hesitant to send work because they are not sure what they will actually get through. When I was a teacher, I would always just have students make up the work when they returned. This varies some based on the age level of the kids, and there may be activities that cannot be made up (science kit lessons were always the struggle for me).

We pulled our DS out for WDW in 1st grade and a trip to Maryland in 2nd grade, and because I had a good relationship with the teachers, it was not an issue. Because DS was an A student, his 1st grade teacher actually gave him a disposable camera and had him make a journal of our trip. His 2nd grade teacher let him do some make-up work while the rest of the class was working on something else (that he didn't need to work on).

Now that the kids are in 4th and 6th grade, I can't imagine trying to pull them out for more than a couple of days. I'm thankful we have moved to a balanced calendar that gives us 2 weeks off in Oct. for our Disney trips.

I think it depends on the school. While I have asked for work in advance, it is our elementary school policy that is given when the child returns to school. And I actually feel like we wasted our time completing it since it has never been returned.

At our schools (yes even elementary) you aren't supposed to ask the teachers for work in advance when going on vacation.

Vacations aren't excused absences at our schools and anything missed is a zero so it can definitely mess up kids grades - it took my son from a B to a C in 5th grade and we only missed 3 days.
My DD only went from a A to a B but she was stressed about it the whole time we were gone so we didn't pull the kids out of school again.

You will want to find out the school rules and then ask the teacher nicely if they can provide homework in advance.

When I took my youngest out last year for a week I simply talked to the Principal and had to fill out the educational enhancement request and my daughter was not even charged with missing those days of school. Her teacher did send her with some school work so she could do it on the drive there and back. My youngest was in 4th at the time.

Now, my older daughter did not go as she chose not to miss school as she was in 9th grade and had already had to miss 5 days for her great grandma's funeral out of state. She is in mainly honors classes so once she got behind it was torture trying to get her caught up and she never wants that experience again.

When I took my youngest out last year for a week I simply talked to the Principal and had to fill out the educational enhancement request and my daughter was not even charged with missing those days of school. Her teacher did send her with some school work so she could do it on the drive there and back. My youngest was in 4th at the time. Now, my older daughter did not go as she chose not to miss school as she was in 9th grade and had already had to miss 5 days for her great grandma's funeral out of state. She is in mainly honors classes so once she got behind it was torture trying to get her caught up and she never wants that experience again.

Yikes! What kind of school districts do you folks live in that you have to ASK the principal if it's ok to take YOUR kids out of school? I work in a public ES in MD & have never heard of such foolishness.

Yikes! What kind of school districts do you folks live in that you have to ASK the principal if it's ok to take YOUR kids out of school? I work in a public ES in MD & have never heard of such foolishness.

Not gonna' lie, I agree with this... Keeping up with schoolwork and lessons is important, but if you want to remove your child from class, they really shouldn't have ANY right to tell you no. If it was excessive absences, then perhaps a parent/teacher meeting would be in order. I understand that. But other than that, I don't think it's really any of their business...

Not gonna' lie, I agree with this... Keeping up with schoolwork and lessons is important, but if you want to remove your child from class, they really shouldn't have ANY right to tell you no. If it was excessive absences, then perhaps a parent/teacher meeting would be in order. I understand that. But other than that, I don't think it's really any of their business...

If that is how someone feels, then they can look for options. When you enroll your child in a school district, you are agreeing to their "terms and conditions". It is a contract between you and the school. If you are unable to uphold your end of the contract then you are free to go elsewhere. It really is simple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter