Your recent experiences with autism

Ideally you would need two adults, one to go and get the time so he doesn't know that you are doing it. And one to distract him.

That way he wont know that he has to wait. That usually helps.

My son was diagnosed at 3 and he just turned 7 last week. Obviously there's a huge difference in getting a 3 year old around Disney with the prior GAC vs a 7 year old in the new Disney plan. I understand the GAC was heavily abused and changes needed to be made, but now I feel as though it's not a viable option for us to return to Disney and not incur numerous meltdowns having to get a pass to return some time later. My son can have meltdowns waiting are red lights or when traffic is slow, let alone the idea of walking by an attraction and not getting do walk up to something and go on it as he wants to.

We have annual passes and are at a park frequently. Initially the change was tough for ds. I had to bring his sensory backpack filled with tools to calm him. Now he is accustomed to how the DAS and FP+ work. I can't remember the last time we brought his sensory backpack with us to a Disney park.

I realize you don't have the luxury of time for your ds to adjust to the new system as my son had. So there is a that uncertainty. You know your son best to know how he will adjust to the change since your last Disney vacation.

Do you think your son would like Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, the Pirate's Adventure game, Agent P's World Showcase Adventure, Wilderness Explorer's at AK? These are "time fillers" my son loves.

When the changes were announced, I emailed Disney and they claimed they would try to accommodate everyone like us on a case by case basis, but that's easier said than done. Have you experienced a drastically different experience under the new plan compared to prior trips under the GAC?

There have been a few times where we've run into a snafu with attractions and GS has been fantastic at helping us sort thing out.

Before FP+ started, yes, we had a significant different experience. DS refused to use the paper FP. He would worry about that return time so much that he'd make himself sick. Also, he felt out of control with DAS alone.

Now he feels much better. We sit down together to choose the 3 FP+ attractions. He knows that if we can't make it to the attraction in time that I can change either change it to a different time if one is available or to a different attraction if one is available. Yes, we have run into situations where an alternate time or attraction was not available.

As soon as we get to a park, one of us will go and get a DAS return time while the other and ds do something else. Also, if there isn't already a return time on the DAS, I make sure there is one before we head to our FP+ return time. Keep in mind that the DAS return time is flexible.

I try to make DAS return times in locations close to the FP+ attraction's location so that we aren't walking all over creation. I do the same with our FP+ return times. Rather than going way over here, then way over there, I keep things fairly orderly.

Here is an example from yesterday. I had a 4:10 dinner ADR at The Plaza Restaurant, a 5:35 FP+ for M&G with Mickey Mouse, 6:35 FP+ for POTC, and 7:45 FP+ for Big Thunder Mt. We arrived around 3pm. I went to Buzz and got a DAS return time. Ds and DH pin traded. We ate at The Plaza. DS has food allergies, so that took a little extra time. After dinner we went to Mickey's M&G, then to Buzz. (After this we could have gotten another DAS return time, but didn't.) Rode POTC and had almost an hour before Big Thunder. He was both excited and anxious about Big Thunder because he hadn't gone on it since 2010. So we went over there so he could see the ride and find out how FP+ works and how it works with the w/c. Once he understood, we still has some time, and he wanted to play Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom. Did a couple portals and came back to ride BTM. He loved it, but was exhausted from all the anxiety of anticipation and we headed home.

If the plan is exactly as it sounds, I don't know that returning to the parks is a viable option as I'm not about to return and find misery and meltdowns in a crowd in what is supposed to be the happiest place on earth. If that's the case, I seriously need to weigh my options of selling my DVC membership.

Your thoughts?

You know your child the best.

We stayed at SSR this past summer, and ds did not go to a park, at all, any of the days of our stay. And that was while GAC was still an option. He loved the community center and all the crafts, the campfire, and nightly movies. He was also content at the room building legos and catching lizards on the patio (we were 1st floor).

I know that we'll be unable to get directly in to an attraction and have read how the new plan is supposed to work. That said, the prior GAC along with our stroller as a wheelchair would have us on TSM even bypassing the regular FP lane and on in 10 minutes.

It's hit or miss with TSM and stroller as w/c. It's possible you could get right on, or if there are many people ahead of you, it could take much longer. I'v been timing our waits. The fastest was 5 minutes, the longest was just over 30 minutes.

I was with friends one day of their MAW trip in December. Even for them (and their son is in a very fragile condition), they were directed to the FP+ line of every attraction he could ride.

I think I've just given up on there being any chance it'll allow us to make him be happy no matter how many social stories we have along the way. As far as occupying him on a 16 hour drive, he does great between watching movies on the DVD player or just watching the trees/cars on the road. On the other hand, giving him an iPad to occupy his time is quite a risk as it'd be nothing for him to throw it once he gets upset at waiting.

I may give it a try to take him to a closer park and see how things go, but I'm not counting on it being a success.

And you don't want him throwing it at people in line either. Does he have any calming activities you can bring in line for him? My son loves therapeutic putty and can spend lots of time manipulating it. I buy the strongest strength they have at his OT and it really relaxes him and he enjoys it. Bean Bag tapping is another thing he finds relaxing.

Disney is very different from other parks though. While they may have similar systems, the attractions and experiences are usually vastly different.

I wish you the best in figuring out what to do. I hope things work out for you to visit Disney.

He is now 8. We are staying at CBR. We talk about Disney all the time. He has seen the rides on YouTube. We will have a stroller, so he can hide if he wants to. He really does pretty good. Will have I-pods, phone and DS to pass time if need be. Oh, and food. We were talking about it the other day, and I asked him if he will go on the roller coasters with me. His answer blew me away. He said, " I will go on everything, except that ride where the dolls sing, and sing and sing and sing!" I asked him how he knew about that, and he said "you took me on it when I was 2!" "Those dolls just never shut up!" So I guess I am not going on Its a small World with him!:rotfl2: I was laughing so hard. But seriously, we are going to go to Cocoa Beach for a night when we are there in Sept. My daughter's family really wanted to join us. Last time we were at the beach, when he was 2, he screamed. Hated it! I said since we were only taking one car (renting for the 2 days), there is no way they were coming unless we knew our grandson would tolerate it. So we will see how he does this summer. Loves to swim, but hates the sand.

Are you planning to stay on site. If so then plan on using the extra magic hours. If the is up to it the lines at these times can be much shorter. Even almost none sometimes. The early morning ones might be better for him. Then go back to the resort for the busier times of day. Also stay at one of the quieter resorts. My daughter is special needs. Her two best friends are Asburgers One of them has a twin who is autisic. They love Disney. Their favorite resort is AKL. They always get a savanah view as they claim watching the animals tends to have a calming effect on him. Let him watch videos of disney before going so that he will have an idea of what to expect. You can print out a menu for most of the eateries so you can decide ahead of time what to eat and order right away. Also eating at off times can help also. Determine ahead of time if seeing characters will frighten her. My DD is 18. She has been coded since the age of 3. There is only a handful of Characters that don't terrify her. We have delt with many meltdowns over the year when one aproches. We have learned which ones to avoid. She is much better now than when she was younger but it is her favorite place in the world. These techniques have worked for us and our friends. Be flexible, you don't have to do everything. It is okay do do just a few rides for the entire trip. Just work at his pace. I have 3 children, 27, 25 and 18. My oldest and youngest have been coded since they were 3. Over the years with my own children and friends of theirs, we all tend to band together, I have witnessed many wonderful changes in them that seemed to occur at disney. Most of all take a deep breath and take it slow. We are all with you. :littleangel:

Our DD will be 6 on our trip in August. Last trip was 2 years ago and although we had a GAC we only used the Stroller as Wheelchair stamp as she refused to go on any rides. This will be our first trip with the DAS and this time I am anticipating her at least initially attempting some rides. We have hot pink ear protection earmuffs that we are getting her used to now. She does not like loud noise and I am conditioning her about what these do. If she covers her ears I will say something like" when we're at Disney if it's too loud you can use your earmuffs" I have to keep repeating it over the course of time until she accepts it. She used to say no when I asked her if she wanted to go to disney but I kept at it and now she wants to go. I will just keep explaining things and bring her ipad and her bluetooth headphones which I also have to condition her to get used to using. I can usually distract her with the ipad. I think the key is to prep him as much as you can. The more he knows what to expect. Also first than works well...if you have a time for Space mountain, pick something to do while you wait. First the train, then space mountain. And also be prepared for him to just be having none of it and hang out at the pool. We stopped expecting things and just let her dictate how the day will go. Oh and a bubble blower. Everybody loves bubbles. Best $11 I ever spent at Disney World. And we watch the POV videos of the rides on you tube as well so she knows what things will be like. Good luck!

As parents of children on the spectrum, remember that we are preparing them for the world, not preparing the world for them. Op, your son needs to start learning how to wait. Yes, it is difficult in the beginning. But think of how wonderful it will fee when he finally can wait his turn.

I say try it first. If it doesn't work out, then find fun things to do at the hotel. We spend plenty of time at our hotel anyway. There's only so much my boys can handle in the parks before they need to get away. We're pros at finding things to do to relax at the hotel. It's one reason why we usually stay at deluxe resorts.

As parents of children on the spectrum, remember that we are preparing them for the world, not preparing the world for them. Op, your son needs to start learning how to wait. Yes, it is difficult in the beginning. But think of how wonderful it will fee when he finally can wait his turn.

I couldn't have said it any better!!!! I also wonder (and this is in no way directed to anyone in particular) how many parents use their child's diagnosis because let's admit it, it's easier with the DAS. I will not get a DAS for my aspie he will wait because that is how the real world works.

I understand that viewpoint that says kids should adapt to the world. I've parented 8 children. some with only mild developmental disabilities, some with only mild mental illness. But I've also parented children with severe developmental disabilities and psychoses. It was very easy teach my kids with mild disabilities to live in the real world. But for kids in the 1 percentile living in the 'real' world is never going to an option..... which is why it was so nice to be able to go to a Magic World. (Some of my son's classmates go nowhere except home and school....they aren't even able to handle school trips.)

To the OP, we're in the same boat...except our reservations are in December (worst time to go, but when I can take off from work.) I am also debating canceling, not due to the wait times-I can entertain my son for an hour if I need to, but not in a crowded line. Which is why I have a concern, leaving the attraction, to come back to the attraction, to wait in a crowded, tight space, with people who are just as excited to ride as my son is and who squeeze close..almost as scary as not being able to get out if he loses it (either meltdown or tantrum).

But I keep reminding myself that WDW isn't just the parks. I'm leaning towards still going, but not necessarily doing the parks all day (normally, if we could wait somewhere besides a crowded line, my son could do opening to closing as he is sensory seeking not avoidant). We might just be trying things like going boating, or horseback riding...all the things we keep thinking "I didn't know you could do that at WDW."

I understand that viewpoint that says kids should adapt to the world. I've parented 8 children. some with only mild developmental disabilities, some with only mild mental illness. But I've also parented children with severe developmental disabilities and psychoses. It was very easy teach my kids with mild disabilities to live in the real world. But for kids in the 1 percentile living in the 'real' world is never going to an option..... which is why it was so nice to be able to go to a Magic World. (Some of my son's classmates go nowhere except home and school....they aren't even able to handle school trips.) To the OP, we're in the same boat...except our reservations are in December (worst time to go, but when I can take off from work.) I am also debating canceling, not due to the wait times-I can entertain my son for an hour if I need to, but not in a crowded line. Which is why I have a concern, leaving the attraction, to come back to the attraction, to wait in a crowded, tight space, with people who are just as excited to ride as my son is and who squeeze close..almost as scary as not being able to get out if he loses it (either meltdown or tantrum). But I keep reminding myself that WDW isn't just the parks. I'm leaning towards still going, but not necessarily doing the parks all day (normally, if we could wait somewhere besides a crowded line, my son could do opening to closing as he is sensory seeking not avoidant). We might just be trying things like going boating, or horseback riding...all the things we keep thinking "I didn't know you could do that at WDW."

The line that you end up in is the FP line, which is the same line you would have used in the past with the GAC.

to forgop: glad you were able to TSMM in only 10 minutes with GAC and stroller as wheelchair as it always took us at least 20 usually 30 minutes wait on wheelchair side with adult daughter and family because of her ECV. are longest wait was 45 minutes and that was with a GAC.

As a parent with 2 on the spectrum, and one of them has anxiety, I can tell you what we do. Get to the park early, even before rope drop. Have a touring plan. I even create a PECS schedule to keep the kids informed. Getting to the parks early makes a huge difference.

Then we go back to the hotel after lunch. We relax at the hotel for a couple of hours, then return to the park and get on the less popular rides. Touring the parks this way meant that we rarely had to use a GAC?

Op, you will have a great time. Go and enjoy your family time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter