your recommendations for umbrella strollers for 35+ lb kids?

KirstenB

<font color=deeppink>Mom to "the nibbler"<br><font
Zoe is nearly 4, and has ASD. I was hoping by the time she physically outgrew her umbrella stroller, we wouldn't need it anymore. I'm starting to realize it's kind of a "safe" place for her to retreat to, when she gets overwhelmed. She's hit the weight limit on it, so I need a new one.

Can anyone recommend an umbrella stroller for larger sized kids? I checked Target.com, and read their online reviews. There was a MacLaren Volo, but one person said the wheel post bent after only using a couple of weeks. Any advice/experience would be appreciated!!:goodvibes

Thanks Simbella. I'm actually starting to realize I need to buy one for use here too, not just at WDW.

I would recemend a Maclaren stroller. My son is 9 now but until he was about 6 he rode in a stroller as he had trouble walking. We had a Maclaren Opus VI stroller for him and it was perfect. I don't know what they call the new model but this one had sides and a front bumper bar so the seat was more enclosed than it is on a typical umbrela stroller. It also had bigger wheels and a huge sun hood you could pull down over the front of the seat. I would look at the maclaren strollers and see what models are out now that would work. I know the Maclaren Major is the special needs stroller but most of their strollers have a weight limit of 50 pounds so that should work fine for you. The other stroller that we used a lot was the peg perego pliko stroller which also had the bumber bar and the sides and the huge hood. I would defenitly recemend a stroller like this for disney as both my boys were able to nap in them.

Hope this helps,

Jessica.

The most common type/brand of special needs strollers is probably the Maclaren Major.
AdaptiveMall is a good place to look at many different strollers that are available. They are rather expensive, but it is possible that your insurance may cover a special needs stroller as a medical need related to safety for your child. Many people whose children have autism have been able to get at least part of the cost covered.

Sue, thanks for that link. Our son 6 needs assistance walking--especially in the heat. We have always rented a double stroller which suited him fine and gave him room to lay down. The parks have recently changed their double stroller and they don't suit him anymore. He refuses to use a wheelchair so we're stuck trying to figure something out.

We will be taking my 9 yo ds adaptive stroller back down with us. He is getting much better at home walking. We can now walk around the mall and recently he did the Bronx Zoo but I do think he will have problems if I make him walk for 10 days straight. His endurance and stamina and lack of sweating abilities make for dehydration very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter