Your thoughts and opinions..

KingdomHearts

Married in Disney July 6th, 2006
I need some opinions... PLEASE, I dont know what to do!:confused3 Here is my situation, our close friends wanted to book a trip in July to go to WDW with us. Because of our financial situation this July was out of the question for us, but I told her that we might be able to go in late November early December. Well last week she booked her trip for 8 nights 9 days in November, and really really wants us to go... (and I never have to be asked more then once to go to the World!:dance3: ) So here is my dilemma... we are currently on the list for Thomas Kinkades 35th Anniversary Painting of WDW that is coming out hopefully this December.:goodvibes To reserve the painting we have to pay half in August then the rest in December. IF I really cut down on everything, and save literally every penny, then we could get to Disney in Nov/Dec, but that would be stretching ourselves kinda thin, and we wanted to start saving for a DVC. And it would be a complete low budget trip, with everything priced out it would costs us around $ 700. So what should we do? Should I throw all caution to the wind and book the trip for Nov/Dec, or should I be responsible and say no? Thank you for all your opinions!

You want the painting and you want to start saving for the DVC. You have to decide what is more important. I know saying no to going to the World is difficult, but you have to find out where your priorities lie. Some things are worth waiting for.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Do what's best for you and your family and your budget. Make the decision
that you will be comfortable with. If this is a good friend, they will understand
and support whatever decision you make regardless of their disappointment.
If this is a good friend.....................:thumbsup2

I agree with the other posters, do what is best for your family-financially and goals. You can always go with your friends when you own your DVC!

Of course your friend will understand. Both of you may be disappointed - it's Disney who wouldn't be ;) - but it's not going anywhere either....if you can swing everything without hurting yourself financially great - if not then no worries b/c there will be so many more times that everyone can go down :goodvibes

I know she is an awesome understanding friend, but I still really want to go... I mean who wouldnt its DISNEY and it is my favorite time of the year! So I guess I will have to see where we are with our money situation!

I wouldnt stretch it out to the point it could really hurt financially, I would ask what seriously is more exciting to you. The painting or the trip? Do you think the painting may come down in price after awhile?

The painting appreciates in value. When they sold the 50th painting the smallest it was $1100. The store by me just a few weeks ago, called and said that they found or had two more paintings if I was interested. When I asked how much she said $1400, because they do go up in value. So it is definetly an investment piece! Which is cool! And my other point that I am thinking about is that a trip in December could also be our Christmas gifts to one another. The whole trip would be around $700, including air fare and everything. I know I spend that if not more then that on him for Christmas any way. So I guess I am tring to justify the trip.. you know?? Or I could put that $700 in a DVC account, hmmmm I actually like this idea.. maybe I should go to the bank and open a special account and call it the DVC account,and start saving for one! I knew this would help! Thank you all for your opinions!:cool1:

The painting sounds like a very good investment!!

As with the other posters, you should sit down with your family and decide what's best for you, because I'm sure you know, even if you do go to Disney on a budget, there's always every chance you'll overspend on treats!! I'm sure your friend will understand the situation you're in, after all, I'm sure she won't want to see you struggling with money, esp. around Christmas time!

Is there a place to see what this painting will look like? Did you place your order through a Kinkade Gallery? Online? I'd love to see it.

Mary

Actually not yet, because he hasnt even painted it yet. But if you call your local thomas gallery they will be able to give you the details of how much , and when it will be released!

First things first.

If $700 is an issue, put off the notion for several years until you have something called "disposable" income. Meaning that it will never really be missed. I can spend $6K per year and cannot yet justify DVC. It is so complicated and still it must be considered.

Right now, I would rather lease the Castle Suite for five years, rather than buy into DVC for even 20 K. If that were possible.

As for your friends, all paintings aside, since I cannot see how that plays into anything, if you would want to buy one. Do you have to be present to order?

Ask them to send a couple of post cards, and schedule your trip as you can afford it.

????

Anyway that's what I would do.

I'm agreeing with Dreaming WDW, if $700.00 is an issue, than you shouldn't do it or the DVC at this time. I hate to say this but it sounds like you have already made up your mind to go and are trying to justify it. In reality, financial problems can be tough for a family and if things are tight already, planning an extra vacation doesn't seem like a prioirty to me. However great WDW is, it'll always be there and you can go later when things aren't so strapped. You'll also enjoy it more as you won't be worried or stressed about it like you are now. I'd save the money and not go. Just my 2 cents.

Like I said I was on the fence about going or not going. But you are right, it is not worth the financial hardship, and WDW will always be there! Thanks for all your input everyone!!

If they were REALLY REALLY REALLY good friends they'd buy you the picture for Christmas, thereby freeing you up for the November vaca!!!!:dance3:

Just curious, but even if for two people, just how does one go to WDW with airfare, ground transport at both ends, park admissions, and food - and for how many days - on $700?

BTW, don't buy the Kinkade. The secondary market is flooded and they are not an "investment". Signed and numbered Disneyland 50th Anniversary lithos can be had for $250 and less. Don't buy the DVC either, for 95% of people and ANYONE who can't pay cash they are a losing proposition. Save your money and put it in a retirement fund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter