You're going back to Disney? Again?!? A July, 2018 TR - Updated 11-15 - THE END

Non-Disney folks just don't understand why we wanted to go back to Disney again after just getting home. Why are you going back so soon? Isn't it crazy expensive? There are so many other places to go. I cannot explain it if you just don't already get it. So when I was asked about 20 times "you're going back to Disney again?" the answer was a loud and proud "YES".

Tuesday July 3 - Travel day

I hate to fly. I can say that since I have flown before and I do not like it and will likely never change my mind. Too many restrictions. Too tiny of seats. Way too tiny bathrooms. And I have a real fear of heights, so it is just not a good thing for me to fly. So we drive. We have a fabulous 2010 Chrystler Town and Country mini-van that is comfortable and always at the ready to hit the road. And while driving from Kentucky to Florida is a relatively easy drive (get on I-75 south and just keep trucking) there is the mind numbing area that is known as Atlanta.

Cue dramatic music . . .

When we drove down last time, we did not time it well and we were stuck in traffic for about two hours. It was horrible and my honorary title of the mayor of grumpy town was shining brightly. So I had a fantastic plan. We will leave the house at the butt-crack of dawn and be able to time it so that we get to Atlanta around 11:00 AM and the traffic won't be too bad. Since Tony does none of the driving, he was completely on board with this plan. So on Monday night, Tony loaded up the big suitcase and the extra drinks leaving only our small suitcase (with toiletries and medicine) and the cooler to go in the van the next morning. We both got showered, layed out our clothes for the next morning, loaded up on Melatonin and went to bed early.

I couldn't sleep. Even with the medication assistance, the "we're leaving for Disney in the morning" excitement was bubbling up inside me. It was closer to midnight before I finally fell asleep and the alarm was set for 3:00 AM. Shockingly, I was pretty awake when the alarm went off and we went about getting ready and packing up the last items in the van. After a quick check of the thermostat and ensuring the house was secure, we were out the door. But not quite to the interstate just yet. The first stop was to Speedway for caffeine and ice for the cooler. And then we were on the road. What time do you ask?

Clock 1.jpg

4:10 AM and we were on the road. Not too bad if you ask me! We also had my angel dream catcher. Mom likes to ride along with us.

Departure.jpg

Not much prettiness happening at that hour of the morning. Tony thinks he needs his shades before the sun comes up.

So with Pandora playing and podcasts at the ready, we went down the road. Since there was little traffic, getting thru Kentucky and onto Tennessee was fairly painless. We watched the sun come up over the Knoxville area and just before the Tennessee/Georgia border, we decided to stop for a quick breakfast and to fill up the van. We both had a craving for pancakes, so we stopped at Denny's for a grand slam of yumminess/carb overload. We're on vacation, so calories do not count!!! As we got closer to Atlanta, it was around 11:00, so the plan I had put in my head was working. Would we hit traffic? Was I going to have road rage?

The answer was no - to both questions.

Shockingly, our timing was about as close to perfect as it possibly could be. There were some slow down and delayed areas, but overall, it was not bad. We really only lost about 30 minutes.

Our final destination for the evening was the Candlewood Inn and Suites in Valdosta, Georgia. This is a very new hotel. So much so that there is not one single sign pointing you in the direction of the property. I pulled up my confirmation e-mail and it routed me to the hotel. We got there at around 3:30 PM, which was what I had expected. Go me! The hotel was about 1 1/2 miles off of the interstate.

Sorry, I took no pictures. I was so tired at this point that all I wanted to do was stretch out in the bed and take a nap. After checking in Tony unloaded the van and we got into the room. It was a king-sized room with a nice sized work area and a full kitchen and huge bathroom. But here is my issue, which was a small theme for the trip. While I appreciate the large pillow top bed, my legs are not very long. And the bed was pretty high. Without some assistance from Tony, it was close to impossible to get up in the bed. But with some pulling and tugging I got in the bed and took a little nap. I didn't want to sleep too much or I would have never slept that night. We had an early dinner at Olive Garden and a blissful sleep in the super-high bed. It really was comfortable despite the height.

Up next - Happy Birthday America - let's go to Disney!

Hi, Ruthie! Joining in. So happy to see this report!

You were first. You deserve a prize!!!

:banana::banana: Or a dancing banana!

Following along!

:welcome: Glad to have you here!

Following along!

:welcome: Thanks for reading!

Looking forward to hearing about this trip!

:welcome: It will take a while to get it all up, but just hang in there with me!

Back for Round 2!

I have a following!!!

I'm following along too! Can't wait to read all about your trip!

:welcome:

joining in!

Read your last trip report and excited to read all about your next trip.

Thanks for reading along - glad you're with us!

I'm starting to plan our 25th anniversary trip so I am loving getting back reacquainted with the disboards. I am also enjoying all the trip reports and can't wait to read yours. I started your last trip report but havne't finished it yet.

:welcome: And thanks for reading along. Reading trip reports can be addictive for sure!

I just loved your last trip report and can't wait for you to post your new adventure. You and Tony are such a cute couple and your last trip report was so entertaining!

:thanks: You are too kind.

I’m here! Looking forward to following along!

:welcome: Glad you're here!

Hi Following along!

Hi! I'm joining in

:welcome: We're just getting started!

I am in for more !

More is already posted! We've officially hit the road!

Following!

Can't wait to read more!

Just put a new post up!

Enjoyed your last TR and looking forward to more of this one!

:thanks:

Following!

Joining, and now headed to read your other trip report. :car:

:welcome: I hope you enjoy my rambling on and on!

I'm here Ruthie! Can't wait to read about your adventures!:)

Hello friend! Glad you're here!

Following :)

Having no traffic in Atlanta made getting up obscenely early well worth it!! Love Denny's! We use our AARP card there- 15%off:cool1:

Joining in...planning our 40th anniversary trip for January ...started a pre trip report..and reading all the TR I can..

I agree it is ALWAYS hard to fall asleep the night before Disney. Even with meds ! We always have a 6am flight.
It is too far for us to drive. I wish we could drive then I could take MORE stuff.
Glad your getting to Atlanta was without traffic.
The Candlewood Inn sounds very nice.

Ahhh! Knoxville! Love that city. We lived there for several years. Wouldn't mind moving back one day. The Great Smoky Mountains are so beautiful! We would hit the Nat'l Park almost every weekend to hike, enjoy a cold mountain creek, or picnic.

Glad you hit very little traffic in Atlanta. We try to time our drives to avoid the traffic there, too.

Thank goodness for a much needed rest! Three hours of sleep with that much driving is rough.

Wednesday, July 4th - HAPPY BIRTHDAY 'MERICA!

Although we didn't set an alarm clock, my internal alarm - and by that, I mean my bladder - woke me up at normal work wake up time, which is 6:45 AM. While on any given Wednesday, I would not be a happy camper about the hour, I got up and moving because it was officially our Disney arrival day! Tony was less than thrilled about my child-like excitement and rolled over and ignored me. Okay, fine. I got out the things we needed from the suitcase, including the matching outfits I had coordinated for us and got to the business of getting ready for the day. I finally got Tony moving because although it took him all of 10 minutes to get ready, he had to load up the luggage cart and get the van ready to go (that is his job - unloading and reloading the van). This hotel didn't have any kind of free breakfast or even a complimentary bagel, so we checked out and ate car snacks for breakfast. We whipped into a gas station for filling up the van and mandatory caffeine, and we were off to I-75 by 8:00 AM.

July 4th 1.jpg

The good thing about staying in Valdosta is that in only 20 short minutes, you see this great sign.

July 4th 2 again.jpg

Hello Florida - we have missed you.

Then the drive gets a little bit boring. I was pretty hyped up with a combination of caffeine and just general excitement. Tony was getting a bit weary of my perkiness. So I put Pandora on shuffle and began the live entertainment. :music:

Poor Tony. :sad2::sad2:

After a few hours, we veered to the left to the Florida Turnpike, paid way too much in tolls, and by around 12:30, we passed under the best sign in the world.

July 4th 3.jpg

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!

So if you read my last trip report (seriously, why haven't you read it yet?), you know that the picture of the sign eluded me. Well, not this time. I was prepared. I had Tony's phone guiding us with the maps and not only my phone was ready, but I had Tony as back up with my point and shoot camera. I was not going to miss this shot. Yes, it's a bit dark and I was a little far away, but I got the picture.

A few minutes later we reached our final destination - All Star Sports resort. Now this was not my first pick for resorts. We were originally at All Star Music. However, when I added a day to the trip, we had to move to Sports. I had heard all the stories about loud tour groups and the crazy crowded public areas, so we braced ourselves for the worst and went to check in. We pulled in the front of the hotel and Tony was in charge of getting the van unloaded (are you sensing a theme with this?) and I went over to the bell hop stand and retrieved our ECV's. On our last trip, we both used ECV's and it was a life saver. With Tony's physical health issues and our fluffiness, there is no way in the world we would be able to do all that walking. We used Buena Vista Scooters last time, and went back to them for this trip. They gave us a 10% discount for being a repeat customer and the ECV's were there waiting for us as promised. Tony went and parked the van and I went into the lobby to check in (no text yet about the room).

July 4th 4 again 2.jpg

Everything was all festive for the 4th. Not sure why my eyes are all weird. Maybe all the singing?

Anyway, I had reserved us a handicapped accessible room. On our last trip it was a snug fit with both ECV's in a regular room. The hope was that there would be a little more room to navigate the ECV's and the added bonus of a king sized bed. When I checked in, our room was ready. Come to find out they sent me an e-mail instead of a text. I didn't see the e-mail until several days later. It was fine. There was a bit of a line, so it gave me a chance to snap a few pictures of the lobby. We also did not have to pay the parking fee due to providing proof of a handicapped parking tag on the van. They were super nice about it and I double checked our bill at the end of the trip to make sure we weren't charged.

July 4th 5.jpg

July 4th 6.jpg

Our room was in building 10 on the first floor. Turn left at the pool and look for the big football helmet. I rounded up Tony and we headed in that direction.

July 4th 7.jpg

Our room was just past the helmet. Easy peasy. Except one thing. I forgot to take any pictures of the room. Not one single picture.

I'm sorry.

But there did seem to be a little more room for both of the ECV's. I think it was because with just one bed there was more room in the entry way. We still had to move the table and chairs, but it worked well for us.

As we were motoring over to the room, I noticed the gauge on my ECV kept jumping around like it wasn't keeping a charge. I certainly didn't want to have the ECV die on me so once we got in the room, I called Buena Vista Scooters and told them the issue. They were so nice and said to meet them in front of the resort in an hour for an ECV exchange. Our original plan was to swim for a while before heading out for our evening plans. We decided to scrap that plan, have lunch, exchange the ECV and go to Disney Springs.

Up next, our new plan and has our Mother Nature karma continued?

Having no traffic in Atlanta made getting up obscenely early well worth it!! Love Denny's! We use our AARP card there- 15%off:cool1:

Leaving early made a world of difference. I'm guessing that will be our future travel plan to avoid the traffic.

Joining in...planning our 40th anniversary trip for January ...started a pre trip report..and reading all the TR I can..

Glad to have you here! Post a link to your PTR so we can see your plans!

Following.

I agree it is ALWAYS hard to fall asleep the night before Disney. Even with meds ! We always have a 6am flight.
It is too far for us to drive. I wish we could drive then I could take MORE stuff.
Glad your getting to Atlanta was without traffic.
The Candlewood Inn sounds very nice.

Driving is so much better for us. We can pack as much as we want with no restrictions. I really don't mind the driving. Until I get bored, and then I'm Tony's worst nightmare!

Glad you avoided the traffic! I DESPISE driving through traffic and can only imagine how bad Atlanta must be

Atlanta traffic is your worst nightmare come true. I couldn't do it every day.

Ahhh! Knoxville! Love that city. We lived there for several years. Wouldn't mind moving back one day. The Great Smoky Mountains are so beautiful! We would hit the Nat'l Park almost every weekend to hike, enjoy a cold mountain creek, or picnic.

Glad you hit very little traffic in Atlanta. We try to time our drives to avoid the traffic there, too.

Thank goodness for a much needed rest! Three hours of sleep with that much driving is rough.

I love the Smoky Mountains. We have gone to Pigeon Forge tons of times. It's so beautiful.

I was grateful for sleep. It was much needed.

Loving your trip report. I rented an ECV last year we stayed in Port Oreans and had the same issue with less room in the room when you park the ECV.
Staying at Sports in Sept. so I can save money and do Deluxe Dining Plan. I am pretty excited about staying here. We usually stay moderate or Deluxe when we take our week long trips (cause we live in FL and do not need to pay to fly or drive) We do stay value for our overnight trips but not sure we will any more since they charge for parking.
I really feel like I am more in The Disney Bubble when I stay value because of the theming and cause I am nuts that way.
Loving your trip report.

So if you read my last trip report (seriously, why haven't you read it yet?), you know that the picture of the sign eluded me. Well, not this time. I was prepared. I had Tony's phone guiding us with the maps and not only my phone was ready, but I had Tony as back up with my point and shoot camera. I was not going to miss this shot. Yes, it's a bit dark and I was a little far away, but I got the picture.
Congrats on your accomplishment! :rotfl:
Come to find out they sent me an e-mail instead of a text. I didn't see the e-mail until several days later.
Yeah, I get the emails too, not the texts. I also get my Annual Passholder emails sent to my work email, which has never been associated with an AP! Gotta love Disney IT!

Good to know that the ECV was not a problem and it was taken care of fast.

Love that you said " then I'm Tony's worst nightmare. "

That is a very long trip but lovely to be able to do it in your own time and not be tied down.
I am with you on the WDW sign. I am never convinced I am going to get to Disney until we pass under there.
I always reckon I could pull my case to my resort from there if necessary
Looking forward to the rest

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter