Yummy places to eat in San Francisco?

AussieAngel

DIS Veteran
Only 27 sleeps til I arrive in San Francisco!! Yayyy! :banana:

Does anybody have any recommendations on yummy places to eat in San Francisco - either in the Fisherman's Wharf area or the Union Square area?

My BF and I like nearly everything - except seafood! Nothing too expensive, but something a bit nicer than Macca's!

Any suggestions would be lovely!! :cheer2:

For Fishermans Wharf you have the chain restaurants of Hard Rock Cafe, Rainforest cafe etc and also some nice little restaurants we went to a lovely Italian at The Tuscan Inn, shall dig the name out later. As for Union Sq at the top of Macy's is the Cheesecake Factory, yummy food and such a choice of cheesecakes.

Claire ;)

The restaurant at the Tuscan Inn is called Café Pescatore.

Claire ;)

Do not eat at the Waterfront at Pier 7 (near the Ferry building) The views are beautiful of the Oakland Bridge but that is what you pay for- the food was average.

We loved Tadich Grill on California St near Union Square- I know you said you dont like seafood- but I had the best dungenous crab I ever had. Their menu is diverse- they have everything else on it too. They have the reputation of being the oldest restaurant in San Francisco.

San Francisco is a dining mecca. If you are looking for someplace cheap and fun Reds under the bay bridge is great. It is a burger joint that has been there as long as the city has been there. There is also Bubba Gumps on Pier 39 which I love. Although sea food it has a ton of other items that are great. And the view is to die for. There is Bodin Bakery right on the water as well which is where they make the yummy Bodin bread. Just off Union Square is Home. It is in the Castro District (beautiful). It has homey food that is to boot. There is a great bar at the fairmont that also has some snacky hawaiian style food called the Tonga room. It is really cool to go to. The Cheese is great as well but it is a chain and most places have those. If you want more help PM me as my sister lives down there practically and can help you out on whatever you want in the price you want. My hubby works down there and we go down there all the time.

Ok, we were recently at SF (in April) and we dined at some excellent restaurants. If your looking for seafood, my favorite happens to be Scoma's, location is a little tricky because its in a alley behind the pier, but enviroment and food is to die for. Also, this may not be what your looking for, but if you want some of the most original Irish food you can get, go to a whole in the wall bar called "The Fiddlers Green". Its on Columbus&North Point. The bar is very small, but all the local Irish people hang out there, and they are some of the nicest people you will meet, and the best and most original Irish food you will ever find....Hope this helps

Thanks so much everybody, for your fabulous ideas!! :cheer2:

Claire L, I love Italian, so I'll definitely bear Cafe Pescatore in mind! And I actually had Rainforest Cafe on our list. I know it's just a chain, but we don't have it in Australia, and we won't make it to the one at Disney World, so San Francisco it is! Hehee!

disneycrazycatlady, Tadich Grill sounds good too! What are some other yummy menu items?

kimntrent, I love the sound of Bubba Gumps - we don't have that in Australia either! And the Tonga room sounds nice too. So many choices!! :banana:

Disneyjosh, I had to giggle at your suggestion of The Fiddlers Green! Not because it's bad, but because we're actually heading to Dublin after we travel around the US! My sister lives in Dublin, and we're staying there for a week - so I think I might save the traditional Irish fare until we're there! :Pinkbounc

Thanks again everybody! :wave:

AussieAngel said:
Thanks so much everybody, for your fabulous ideas!! :cheer2:

Claire L, I love Italian, so I'll definitely bear Cafe Pescatore in mind! And I actually had Rainforest Cafe on our list. I know it's just a chain, but we don't have it in Australia, and we won't make it to the one at Disney World, so San Francisco it is! Hehee!

disneycrazycatlady, Tadich Grill sounds good too! What are some other yummy menu items?

kimntrent, I love the sound of Bubba Gumps - we don't have that in Australia either! And the Tonga room sounds nice too. So many choices!! :banana:

Disneyjosh, I had to giggle at your suggestion of The Fiddlers Green! Not because it's bad, but because we're actually heading to Dublin after we travel around the US! My sister lives in Dublin, and we're staying there for a week - so I think I might save the traditional Irish fare until we're there! :Pinkbounc

Tadich Grill
240 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94111 (415) 391-1849

Cuisine: Seafood

Pluses: Large assortment of seafood, especially Dungeness crab, sanddabs, crab, prawn or shrimp salads, cioppino and poached salmon

Minuses: Crowds at busy times, split entrees will cost you $5.00 extra

Don't miss: Whatever seafood is your favorite

Prices: Moderate to expensive

Overview: Open for Lunch through dinner Monday to Saturday

Reservations not accepted
Visa, MasterCard accepted
Parking on street or nearby lots
Full bar
Wheelchair accessible

Tadich Grill is a family business which has been in continuous operation since 1849, during the California Gold Rush days. First begun as a coffee stand by three Croatian immigrants, Tadich is one of San Francisco's landmark restaurants. The myriad seafood is prepared charcoal broiled, grilled, sautÈed, poached, deep-fried, or baked in a casserole. The food here is straightforward and of high quality. Excellent sourdough bread, a menu that's printed daily with specials, and a large selection of fresh seafood make Tadich's special. Non-seafood eaters can enjoy the meats from the charcoal broiler including calf's liver steak, hamburger steak, lamb chops, pork chops, chicken and four kinds of beef steak.

Whether you come in for a drink at the clubby bar (not a separate room) or a full meal, the Tadich feel will take you back in time.

AussieAngel said:

Haha, yhea you can probibly skip over the Fiddlers Green then.... :rotfl: enjoy your trip!!

Also on Pier 39 is North Beach Pizza with 'all you can eat', had a good meal here in 2003.

Claire ;)

Pier 39 - Boudins Sourdough Bread - you can get chowder or chili in bread bowls or pizza. Nice lunch without breaking the bank

Chinatown: Washington St. Bakery and Restaurant - fabulous, inexpensive, clean with great service.

Jakes or The Cliff House - out on Ocean Drive on the open ocean side of San Francisco near the zoo.

A friend of mine used to live in San Francisco and has recommended to me, for when i visit next year, 'The Stinking Rose' restaurant, its on Columbus Avenue, she says it is the best she's ever been to... the menu is displayed on their web site.

Jules

jules274 said:
A friend of mine used to live in San Francisco and has recommended to me, for when i visit next year, 'The Stinking Rose' restaurant, its on Columbus Avenue, she says it is the best she's ever been to... the menu is displayed on their web site.

Jules
My DD's teacher who runs the Bay to Breakers marathon every year was raving about this place, everything is made with garlic and it is supposed to be just wonderful.

Augh! The Stinking Rose has a menu item called... "Silence of the Lamb Shank - with chianti glaze and fava beans."

Isn't that..... AugH!!

I don't want to think about that too much!!! :confused3

Other than that, the menu looks very interesting! I love garlic, so will definitely check it out!! Thanks!!

Since you mentioned that you like Italian Food, you might enjoy Trattoria Contadina. It is the N.Beach area but is easily accessible by cable car or bus.

It's at 1800 Mason St.

The Stinking Rose, when I went a few years ago, was a great idea that fell down on execution. It was mainly basic Italian food with a some garlic flavor. I love garlic, and the food just wasn't that garlicky. Still, some people love it.

If you'd like a more distinctly San Franciscan restaurant, you might try Steps of Rome Trattoria in North Beach (not too far southweest of Pier 39). Wonderful Italian staff, killer friendly atmosphere, and you don't need to be a hipster like their sister restaurant Steps of Rome. Two caveats: the menu is structured like a traditional Italian, with antipasti, primi, and secondi courses, feel free to pick and choose out of order. Second, the staff tend to be gay, to a more or less flamboyant degree, extremely charming, but if it's not your thing you don't have to go. My Ohio-born mother loved it.

One of my absolute favorite restaurants is a Basque place called Piperade in the financial district, also fairly near the tourist areas. Distinctive cooking, somewhat seafood heavy, but something for everyone. A well-chosen wine list with many selections from Catalan country.

If you can make plans a few weeks in advance, try the Slanted Door in the Ferry Building (a couple miles south on the Embarcadero). Vietnamese with a French twist, it grew from a fashionable hole in the wall to one of the signature restaurants in San Francisco. Believe it or not, one of the best dishes is chicken in clay pot, but they also specialize in crab, "shaking" beef tenderloin, and spring rolls. Again, a great wine list with lots of riesling if that's your style (sorry, not much in the way of Aussie riesling). Reservations are essential.

For a drink outside, stroll down a few piers (1-2 km?) along the embarcadero to Pier 23. Cold beer, pub food, large outdoor patio. You might have to wait on the weekends for a table.

Whatever you do, check the weather before you leave. Not that I know anything about you specifically, but when the wind kicks up and brings in the sea breeze, San Francisco can require a jacket even in summer. Enjoy your visit.

Walt

wnissen said:
. . . If you can make plans a few weeks in advance, try the Slanted Door in the Ferry Building (a couple miles south on the Embarcadero). . .

Another vote for the Slanted Door.

Woody

I have to second the Scoma's rec. We loved it!

AussieAngel said:
Only 27 sleeps til I arrive in San Francisco!! Yayyy! :banana:

Does anybody have any recommendations on yummy places to eat in San Francisco - either in the Fisherman's Wharf area or the Union Square area?

My BF and I like nearly everything - except seafood! Nothing too expensive, but something a bit nicer than Macca's!

Any suggestions would be lovely!! :cheer2:
I'm addicted to the food network and love Rachael Ray's $40 a day show. When she was in SF she visited the following, all which looked delicious and affordable. Oriental Pearl for DimSum. Swan Oyster Depot on Polk St. Citizen Cake for great desserts(owner was voted SF magazine's Pastry Chef of the Year). Metro Cafe- a Parisian Cafe with a 3-course meal for under $15. Have fun and enjoy. Ed

The desserts at Citizen Cake are fabulous.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter