• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zap-Ah-Dee-Doo-Dah?

shushh

DIS Veteran
We are cruising in the mediterranean on an American ship with Australian appliances....

Can anyone give us a run down on the wall outlets onboard the magic? Apparentally Rhapsody has both "European" and "American" outlets. Is this the case for Disney ships?

Any past Aussie cruisers out there who would like to share what you did? what you bought (eg converters/transformers, adaptors)?

Thanks heaps for any help.

In the regular staterooms cats 4-12 there is one outlet next to the TV and one in the bathroom. The bathroom outlet is only rated for shavers, not regular appliances. If you would require a completely different outlet for Australian appliances I would guess that you would need to take a converter that would work with an "American" outlet. HTH.

I cannot say for certain but we plug in a power strip in the room's outlet.

Thanks Lisa, its handy to know that there is only 1 outlet suitable for other appliances other than razors.

Does anyone know the specifics of the outlet?

Belinda, When I traveled to OZ I only needed an adapter, not a converter, as the voltage is the same. Woe to my friend who ruined a very expensive flat iron when she added the converter.... melted it. Just purchase an adapter to adjust your appliances to our prongs and you will be just fine!!

In Australia our voltage is 240V and in the USA it is 110V. It depends on what you are plugging in. Our Aussie mobile phone charger was fine in the USA with an adaptor as they tend to have universal power supply but an Aussie hair drier would only produce 1/2 heat. A 110v electric item plugged into a 240v socket would blow up.

The ships are definitely US standard 110v. there is an outlet by the desk and another outlet behind the TV on the wall.

MJ

I cannot say for certain but we plug in a power strip in the room's outlet.
So would a powerstrip of Australian sockets plugged into the wall with an Oz/US adapter work??? I'd assume so but I'm curious if anyone has tried...
With the 240/110 thing what I notice is that I think the batteries charge slower...but they do charge.

With digital cameras and phones etc etc I'd like more than one or 2 at a time.
We are travelling on the wonder...

Thx!

Re hairdryers...this is why if you want to take one with you then grabbing a travel one with a switch is great (they fold up too) ... but nearly every room has one now so we stopped travelling with it.

The ships are definitely US standard 110v. there is an outlet by the desk and another outlet behind the TV on the wall.

MJ

MJ beat me to it - I was going to add that there is one behind the TV.

This is the outlet I used to plug in my clock. That way I didn't use one of the two by the desk.

I didn't need a power cord, but only had photo batteries to charge overnight, and a blowdryer to use during the day. If you have lots of things to charge, I can see the power strip being necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter