• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zebra Domes?

Hobbes

DIS Veteran
What exactly are they? Are they sweet?-I have a very sweet tooth.Does anyone have a photo?

OMG!!! You had to start my cravining off this early in the morning!!! I don't have a picture of them but I know there are some floating around this site as I saw one last night. Can't remember which thread I was on though, Sorry! Anyway they are a FANTASTIC dessert you get at BOMA @ AKL. They are a chocolate dessert but really not overly sweet. The bottom is a little layer of like a sponge cake topped w/ a wonderful moose covered in chocolate. It is a fabulous dessert. Why one reason we go to WDW is because my cravining gets so big!!!!!

You can also get Zebra Domes in AKL's Mara food court area. They sell them packaged out of their refrigerator case. If you don't want to eat at Boma this is a convenient way to try them. Boma is a wonderful buffet.

1zebradome.jpg

Thanks a lot-I'll keep my eye out for those. I am compiling a list of things I "must eat" next time (like I need an excuse :rotfl2: :rotfl2: )

I love chocolate and found zebra domes waaaayyyy too sweet. It was just too much al at once.

I just started to salivate when I read the subject line of your post. Love those stripey little things... the time Mom ate SIX desserts at Boma is now family legend, but hey, at least they're little bite sized things and not big humongo cheesecakes or something!

OMG -- we were at AKL in Jan./Feb. and we got them from Mara, we took them to our room and kept them in the fridge, they are SOOOOOO sweet, but OHHHHH so goooood. I want one right now............. you HAVE to get them, the one's at Mara come in a 4 pack, and I could only eat one at a time!!!!

Fantastic!!!! Gonna go get me some when we go back!!!!!

Here is another short of the domes (along with fruit and the moose crunch):
P9290118.jpg

OMG -- that mousse is awesome........... you guys are killing me!!!! LOL

I'd be cautious of high expectiations.

They are bite sized mocha mousse on a peice of spongecake covered with a hard chocolate ganache. Disclaimer: I'm a dessert snob, and these were not well executed in my opinion. The mousse and spongecake were stale (and stale mousse is gross) and far too gelatin-y (mousse shouldn't have gelatin in it at all, but this needs it because they make them far in advance of serving them.)

Man! I was just innocently reading some restaurant threads and now I am thinking about zebra domes...I want one so bad now! And I won't be back to Disney for over 8 months...

Funny story. I had read all the loads of praise on these before I went but I hadn't eaten any pictures. Well lo and behold I was looking for these great Zerbra domes and didn't get any. Finally, disgusted and dejected that I couldn't find these great items, one of the staff asked me if I liked the deserts. I expressed my disappointment at not being able to find the great Zebra Dome. She pointed them out. When I saw what they were I realized I had already eaten a couple of them. Oh what a let down.
They were good, but they weren't all they've been built up to be here.

Of course, this has been a couple of years ago, so the recipe for them might have changed, but when my sister and I stayed at the AKL, I tried them when we ate at Mara one evening, and I found them too sweet for my tastes.
I think I finished the ones I was eating, but I made it a point of not trying them again.

It is like a custard, almost, ice creamy chocalety. Ok, I am not Helping! LOl.

I love Zebra Domes. They are soooo good :goodvibes :goodvibes
DH and I had quite a few of them last year while we were staying at the AKL. I am a big chocolate lover. I love anything that is chocolate. I agree with everyone else they seemed to be on the sweet side, but they were so good. And I have to say that Zebra Domes satisfied my sweet tooth. If I remember correctly they were made of chocolate mousse that had a little bit of coffee flavoring and were on a layer of chocolate sponge cake. Anyway I can't wait to go back next year and get some more. They are awesome. I wish I would have brought some home last time we were at WDW. I think they are one of my favorite desserts on WDW property. :love: :love:

but I just may for Christmas

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)

Method:

1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (1/4" thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.

Note: One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter