Zero Entry Pools

Marie14625

Mouseketeer
We are arriving on Saturday. Do the zero entry pools at the resortls let you use them if you are not staying there? We are at Coronado, but see that GF has a zero entry. Will we be allowed to use it. Also, do they have a PVC chair there for Kim to use? She plans to go with one of our friends, who is able bodied, to help her. What else should she consider?

Saratoga Springs has a lift and a zero entry pool. It won't hurt to try talking to your hotel about using another resort's pool.

Walt Disney World policy is no pool hopping. You are not allowed to go to a resort you are not a guest at and swim. The ONLY exception are DVC members who are allowed to pool hop.

If you need a zero-entry pool you need to stay at a resort that has one.

That is one of the chief reasons DVC membership sounds cool to me :)

I think its reasonable to ask though. My neighbours stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins and were allowed to use the Lodge pool due to imaginary problems with the campground pools :sad2:

Someone posted some information about Blizzard Beach accessibility not to long ago that sounded pretty tempting, but I can't find the thread.

I think its reasonable to ask though. My neighbours stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins and were allowed to use the Lodge pool due to imaginary problems with the campground pools :sad2:

But in that case the resorts are related and there was a problem of some sort with the campground pool. If there's something wrong with a pool I can see them sending people to a nearby resort to swim. It is reasonable to ask but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "no".

But in that case the resorts are related and there was a problem of some sort with the campground pool. If there's something wrong with a pool I can see them sending people to a nearby resort to swim. It is reasonable to ask but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "no".

There wasn't a problem with the pool that was why I posted the problem was imaginary :)

if you have a specific reason why a pool lift or whatever they have a CSR will not work for you, it may be reasonable to ask... however, as shorty said, they may say no anyway

if you have a specific reason why a pool lift or whatever they have a CSR will not work for you, it may be reasonable to ask... however, as shorty said, they may say no anyway

There is no lift at CSR. Only one resort has a pool lift and while I can't remember which one it was I know it wasn't CSR.

All of the resort pools are either zero-entry or have the platform and stairs that can be used to transfer from a chair to the pool.

OK, thanks. I will let Kim know. To be honest, I did not even start to investigate swimming till well after we had made, and paid for our ressies when Kim expressed an interest in swimming while down there.

The only pool hopping which is officially interchangeable is among the three
All-Stars Resorts, and also between POFQ and POR as each are effectively only one Resort.

Unless there are capacity problems, a DVC member staying on points may freely pool hop.

They tend to be very strict about people from the value or moderate resorts trying to use the pools at the deluxe and often will ask to see the KTTW. Part of the code on the KTTW indicates which resort you are staying at, and the lifeguards, especially at the deluxe pools, are aware of what codes may use their pool.

As was mentioned, the only guests who are allowed to pool hop are DVC members who are staying at a WDW using their DVC points. Even they (we, because my family are DVC members) are not allowed to pool hop at Beach Club or Animal Kingdom Lodge. During busy seasons (like between Thanksgiving and New Years), pool hopping is suspended. Even during times when it is generally allowed, DVC members may be unable to pool hop or asked to leave if the pool is busy.

The zero entry pools are Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Saratogo Springs and Animal kingdom. All the pools with zero entry features are supposed to have wheelchairs that can go into the water. I have not seen them, but what has been described was not one of the PVC water wheelchairs, it sounded like a rust proof metal one. Some people have reported wanting to use the zero entry pool and being told there was not a water wheelchair available. Hopefully, that has been fixed.

Saratogo Springs has one hot tub with a lift. My DH said he saw someone also being lifted into the zero entry pool with a lift, but I have not seen that.

Other resorts (including Coronado Springs) have 'bump steps' in at least one pool area. They are useful for people with certain disabilities to help them get into the pool. I think the actual name is 'tier steps', but we call them bump steps because it kind of describes how they work. You park the wheelchair next to the top step (which is wheelchair height), transfer over to the step and then bump down step by step. They are not useful for someone like my youngest DD who has issues with sitting balance and also goes into extension when she's excited - with uncontrollable motions of her arms and legs (think of an ironing board that could flail 4 legs around while being stiff as, well, an ironing board).

As the others said, you could ask about whether it would be possible to use the other pool (you would probably need to ask at your resort and again when you get to the other pool. They are likely to say no, but you won't know if you don't ask.

Saratogo Springs has one hot tub with a lift. My DH said he saw someone also being lifted into the zero entry pool with a lift, but I have not seen that.

Saratoga Springs! That's the name of the resort I couldn't think of. From what I've read here the lift is portable and can be used at both the hot tub and main pool. The lifeguard will pull it out when it is needed.

As the others said, you could ask about whether it would be possible to use the other pool (you would probably need to ask at your resort and again when you get to the other pool. They are likely to say no, but you won't know if you don't ask.

I would think and hope that the first resort would call the second resort to check with them before giving an answer, especially if the answer is yes. It would be annoying and disapointing to be told at your resort "yes" then get to the other resort to find out the answer is "no".

Saratoga Springs has a lift and a zero entry pool. It won't hurt to try talking to your hotel about using another resort's pool.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1619624

That is why I posted the above comment.

In this matter I say ask call the resort ahead of time. If they do not have a disabled accessible pool then wouldn't they want to let the guest use another pool as a courtesy to that guest. It is a matter of inaccessibility and not just some guest not like the resort's pool.

Thanks again. I do not think it will be the end of the world of she cannot get a swim in, it is just that when she and Sophia (they have been friends for many years) talked about spending a day together, just the two of them, Sophia mentioned going for a swim. I have never been swimming with Kim, but I think she is able to use the bump step if she has too. Sophia will be able to help her with a transfer in or out of the pool.

In this matter I say ask call the resort ahead of time. If they do not have a disabled accessible pool then wouldn't they want to let the guest use another pool as a courtesy to that guest. It is a matter of inaccessibility and not just some guest not like the resort's pool.

Actually, all of the resorts have accessible pools. Most have the bump-steps and a few are zero entry.

If they wanted to swim together, Blizzard Beach is fairly good, accessibility-wise. I'm pretty sure you can borrow a water chair for the day from the rental place (don't know if this costs or not) if you wish, though be warned that they're not tremendously comfortable. This is a thread I wrote a while back about wheelchair access to Teamboat Springs (the family raft ride). It also has a bit about the wheelchairs.

The creek has bump steps at a few different stops around the park, with space to park a wheelchair out of the way at each one. The wave pool is zero entry, and has gentle bobbing waves on constantly, with large rubber rings available to use (they're just in and around the pool, but demand for them can be quite high). It reaches a fair depth at the deepest point, but you can choose the depth by where you go in the pool (be aware that you may drift, though). Also, Teamboat Springs is accessible, as long as she can hold herself up in the raft (the ring comes up to your lower to mid back, depending on your height and how much you slump).

Hope that helps!

Just an update. We stayed at Coronado springs, but Kim was granted access to a zero entry pool. I forget which resort they went to..as she went with another in our party. They just went to the conseierge at our hotel, who agreed to call ahead and say they were coming. When they got there, they were not even questioned, just went right in.

Walt Disney World policy is no pool hopping. You are not allowed to go to a resort you are not a guest at and swim. The ONLY exception are DVC members who are allowed to pool hop.

If you need a zero-entry pool you need to stay at a resort that has one.

We were at Contempoeray 3 weeks ago. We were extremely grossed out by all the poop and feathers around the pool and in the pool from the geese.
I asked the lifegaurd if we could go over to Grand Floridian or Polys pool. He said there is no pool hopping allowed but since it is the slow season nobody will mind. He said the lifegaurds on check room keys at Stormalong Bay AKL pool and during busy times. He said take that information as you will. I asked him if this is what other lifegaurds tell people also. He said yep and winked at me. So managemet must know/approved of them saying this. I think they don't want non resort guests coming and hopping in the pools.

Maire, I'm glad things all worked out for you! :goodvibes Hope the whole trip was just as good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter