Zero entry pools?

molliewalks

Mouseketeer
My MIL is coming with us this year and has spina bifida, permanently wheelchair bound. She was looking through pictures and got really excited when she saw a zero entry pool and really wants to go in. The only problem is that it isn't at our hotel. I don't really want to pay a couple hundred extra dollars to upgrade when we won't be using it but once, maybe twice. I know pool-hopping isn't allowed, but what do you think the odds would be if i talked to hotel management about using it once (with permission of course)? Has any one ever done this?

There are several pools with zero-entry on property. If you didn't want to reserve one of them, maybe you could go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach if it's only a one-time thing. Both have zero-entry wave pools.

Most people here will say that you probably can't swim at a resort you aren't staying at.

Check out other hotels, besides the one you saw it at, I think several have zero entry pools, maybe you could find an alternative in your price range. From the little research I did, Carribean Beach is the only moderate I noted that had a zero entry pool....Art of Animation has a zero entry as well. Maybe you could do a split stay, a day or two at a resort with a zero entry pool, and the remainder where you had planned already?

My MIL is coming with us this year and has spina bifida, permanently wheelchair bound. She was looking through pictures and got really excited when she saw a zero entry pool and really wants to go in. The only problem is that it isn't at our hotel. I don't really want to pay a couple hundred extra dollars to upgrade when we won't be using it but once, maybe twice. I know pool-hopping isn't allowed, but what do you think the odds would be if i talked to hotel management about using it once (with permission of course)? Has any one ever done this?

It can't hurt to ask. The rule is "no" but a manager might have discretion, especially if you went at a quiet time.

I agree that checking out all your choices and maybe doing a split stay would be a great choice. Maybe a day at the end of your trip, when you plan to spend the day at the resort. I am sorry that I am not sure how this works with someone that must remain in a wheel chair. Does the resort have water push chairs to use? Can you mother transfer to to it? May want to be sure of these issues first. I have no clue if WDW would allow you to use another pool, but I a agree they COULD if they choose to and it would not hurt to ask.

Time for only a quick post-

Look on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread (near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature).

One post on page 2 has pictures and information on zero entry pools.
They do have water wheelchairs for use in those pools.
Also - pools and whirlpools have lifts - these are new and I think all pools have them at this point.

We have found that people in general are very patient & kind at Disney pools,especially when they see a handicapped individual attempting to get into the pool. Relax & don't worry! If there is a way into the pool - the lifeguards and the other guests will help you figure it all out! :goodvibes

Ask a lifeguard. They will tell you which accommodations are available for you at the resort.

The water park pools have zero entry, but they also are wave pools. The waves could knock her down if she is holding on to something.

I know we all feel that the manager of another resort would probably allow you to use their zero entry pool - but - as much as that person WANTS to help you, I don't know if he/she is PERMITTED to do so. Insurance probably enters in here. You are not a registered guest at that resort.

Can you stay for a day or two at a Moderate resort - or at AoA? CBR & AoA both have zero entry pools.

Good luck to you! Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

I have two daughters with spina bifida.

Are you staying onsite? All Disney pools have some sort of transfer system to get in the pool. My girls prefer the transfer steps where you slide over from your chair to 3 steps and then bump down or a transfer lift that picks you up from your chair and lowers you in the water. The problem with zero entry pools for them is that the pool wheelchairs tend to float and they don't have the lower body strength to keep the chair from tipping.

If you are not staying onsite most of the major hotel chains have pool lifts.

I would suggest trying the accommodations at your resort pool. Then if the accommodations at your resort's pool will not work, ask your hotel manager politely about being able to use one of the other pools. Explain the situation politely and I would imagine that they will do whatever they can to assist you.

At least that has always been my experience in the past at Disney.

I have two daughters with spina bifida.

Are you staying onsite? All Disney pools have some sort of transfer system to get in the pool. My girls prefer the transfer steps where you slide over from your chair to 3 steps and then bump down or a transfer lift that picks you up from your chair and lowers you in the water. The problem with zero entry pools for them is that the pool wheelchairs tend to float and they don't have the lower body strength to keep the chair from tipping.

If you are not staying onsite most of the major hotel chains have pool lifts.

I did not know there was a transfer system at all the pools. That makes life simpler and less stressful!! She has no lower movement at all, so she would never be able to keep from tipping, how does the transfer lift system work to pick you out of your chair and lower in water?

I did not know there was a transfer system at all the pools. That makes life simpler and less stressful!! She has no lower movement at all, so she would never be able to keep from tipping, how does the transfer lift system work to pick you out of your chair and lower in water?

The work like Hoyer lifts. She would either need to use her upper body strength to pump up or lean from side to side to get the sling under her and then he you lift her out and lower her down. The bump steps easier and only require a slide over onto a platform that has wide steps with a rail attached and you just slide down the steps.

If she plans on riding test track ask to load upstairs and use a booster seat so the transfer is easier. Also if she wants to ride the kali river rapids you can ask for the transfer system which has 2 sections. My girls now only use the bottom half of the system to transfer in and out.

I've got pictures of the lifts and will try to post later today.

Did you find the pics? Would love to be able to see what I'm dealing with!! TIA

Thanks for the reminder -
The lifts are made by a company called SRSmith and the lift is called the Splash Aquatic Lift and here is a link to their pool lift website:
http://www.poollifts.com/products/accessibility-equipment/splash!-lift.aspx

Here are my pictures:
image35.jpg

image33.jpg

For some reason, it will not load my other picture with a cover on the lift.

Here is also a picture of the steps that Michigan was explaining how to use.
2590P4120379.JPG

I had another picture that showed the steps entering the water. For some reason, that one didn't load either.

Are these lifts at all pools? We are planning a trip to CBR and my nephew is in a wheelchair. We are planning in staying here for the zero entry pool. Does this pool have the lift or is the only option the water wheelchair?

Are these lifts at all pools? We are planning a trip to CBR and my nephew is in a wheelchair. We are planning in staying here for the zero entry pool. Does this pool have the lift or is the only option the water wheelchair?
I'm pretty sure CBR has bump steps as well as zero entry.

Some changes to the ADA pool access guidelines went into effect in March 2012.
All pools have to have 2 means of access. One has to be either zero entry or a pool lift. So, the pools without zero entry will have lifts. We saw lifts at many pools last Fall and even the whirlpools had them this Spring. There are pictures of the lifts earlier in this thread.
The other possible means of entry are bump steps and handrails placed no more than 3 feet apart all the way down to the water.

We were at Animal Kingdom at Kidani Village earlier this Spring. The pool at Kidani and the pool at Jambo House both have zero entry pools. Both also had lifts and bump steps (transfer tiers).
From what I have seen, WDW seems to be putting lifts at ALL pools, even those with zero entry. Although they are only required to have 2 means of entry, the larger feature pools seemed to have 3 - lift, transfer tier, handrails.
The AK pools had all those plus zero entry.

Some changes to the ADA pool access guidelines went into effect in March 2012.
All pools have to have 2 means of access. One has to be either zero entry or a pool lift. So, the pools without zero entry will have lifts. We saw lifts at many pools last Fall and even the whirlpools had them this Spring. There are pictures of the lifts earlier in this thread.
The other possible means of entry are bump steps and handrails placed no more than 3 feet apart all the way down to the water.

We were at Animal Kingdom at Kidani Village earlier this Spring. The pool at Kidani and the pool at Jambo House both have zero entry pools. Both also had lifts and bump steps (transfer tiers).
From what I have seen, WDW seems to be putting lifts at ALL pools, even those with zero entry. Although they are only required to have 2 means of entry, the larger feature pools seemed to have 3 - lift, transfer tier, handrails.
The AK pools had all those plus zero entry.

I knew that the ADA mods required 2 means if entry. Glad to head that Disney's going further!

The Big Blue Pool at AoA had both zero depth entry and a lift both we saw being used by people during our stay. The smile on the little girl using the lift was priceless :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter