Zero Forky's Given - An August 2019 Dining Report - Completed 8/18

I'm right there with you on preferring savory breakfasts over sweet ones, and your dish of choice at Ale and Compass sounded great. I did think when I saw the picture that it needed another egg, though.
It's a bummer the service was lackluster at the restaurant, but I'm glad everyone got a good meal in after a stressful night. A lot of times I feel like pet care and leaving pets is the hardest part of travel.

It must have been hard to go through the holidays with the flu. Did you have to go to work, too?

We had a very good lunch at Ale and Compass. We have had breakfast there a few times, too. I notice that if you make a reservation they will seat you right away but walk ups have to wait. I've made the reservation the same morning, while getting ready in the morning. Breakfast is usually a last minute decision.

Happy Snow Day from Virginia!!!! The government and schools closed down early so what's a Mama to do? Wine and DIS of course! Casey had other thoughts though...

Oh I'm so glad :goodvibes What a cutie he is! :lovestruc
Thanks! I know humungous black dogs aren't everyone's cup of tea but we think he is just as adorable as they come.

Albeit quite the snail-paced service, your breakfast sounds delish! Those chocolate waffles sound like heaven to me :cloud9:
Those waffles were delicious! Definitely worth giving a try

So glad you're finally on the up and up after 3 WEEKS down for the count. :scared1:
Thanks! It was rough going but finally feeling up to myself this week

I'm right there with you on preferring savory breakfasts over sweet ones, and your dish of choice at Ale and Compass sounded great. I did think when I saw the picture that it needed another egg, though.
I was actually surprised at how big the flatbread was. It definitely needed another egg and then it would have been perfect for sharing.

It's a bummer the service was lackluster at the restaurant, but I'm glad everyone got a good meal in after a stressful night. A lot of times I feel like pet care and leaving pets is the hardest part of travel.
It really is. Love our guy but after he goes we're gonna take a break from dogs for a while. I've always had one but it adds stress and money to vacation I'd just like to be a little footloose and fancy free for a while :earboy2: Casey has guinea pigs so they can hopefully hold us over

It must have been hard to go through the holidays with the flu. Did you have to go to work, too?
For the most part I didn't work. I was out the week before Xmas, pre-scheduled to be off for Xmas week, and gave it the old college try after that but still wasn't up to it. Ended up working half days after New Years and then back full time this week. I feel like I missed 6 months though.

We had a very good lunch at Ale and Compass. We have had breakfast there a few times, too. I notice that if you make a reservation they will seat you right away but walk ups have to wait. I've made the reservation the same morning, while getting ready in the morning. Breakfast is usually a last minute decision.
I really want to try lunch or dinner at Ale and Compass. After our breakfast was so good I want to see what else they have to offer. We did make a reservation that morning, so who knows why we had to wait so long.

Happy New Year a week later. Happy you are feeling better and back to posting.

We decided to try a new to us restaurant for breakfast: Ale and Compass at the Yacht Club. We had no issues getting a last minute reservation and after a quick uber trip we arrived.

Despite a half empty restaurant we waited about 20 minutes to get seated and then another 10 before our server showed up. This was not starting out well so a nerve calming agent was in order.
Sounds like the more things change they remain the same. Reminds me of some lunch experiences we had at the old Captain's Grille. At one lunch DH started to joke to me that maybe the waiter was in the witness protection program
Eventually we did finally get some food. Casey branched out on her own and went with the Mickey Waffles.

These were fresh and clearly had been made to order so she was a happy girl. We’ve only ever had Mickey waffles from a buffet before so it was so nice to have some hot fluffy ones straight from the griddle.
Made to order or even recently made Mickey Waffles are so much better than the buffet variety.

I am glad to hear despite the service issues the food was good. DH & I always enjoyed the food at lunch if not the service. We didn't get to Ale & Compass last trip maybe next time.

Stress Eating Yacht Club Style

Thankfully we had a late morning planned today because I got next to no sleep. Our dog sitter was continuing to have issues with Duval and I felt helpless. I ended up buying plane tickets in the middle of the night for us all to go home a few days early, but even that didn’t dissuade my guilt and concerns.

Side note the old man is still hanging in there.

We hoped he’d make it through the holidays and he did! He’ll be 12 next month and since his breed usually only lives 8-10 years we know we’re on borrowed time. Not sure he’ll make to his birthday so he’s getting all the love and whatever he wants to eat in the meantime.

So when worried about your dog and 800+ miles from him, what’s a girl to do? Stress eat and drink of course!!!!

We decided to try a new to us restaurant for breakfast: Ale and Compass at the Yacht Club. We had no issues getting a last minute reservation and after a quick uber trip we arrived.

Despite a half empty restaurant we waited about 20 minutes to get seated and then another 10 before our server showed up. This was not starting out well so a nerve calming agent was in order.

This was a pretty standard bloody kari but it hit the proverbial stress spot.

Jason who hadn’t slept well either went with what was likely the smarter idea, coffee.

Casey even tried to get in on the coffee game.

Then smartly just went to double fisting the OJ.

Our server had just dropped our drinks and took off, but he eventually showed up again to take or order. This guy was like a ghost the entire time and we were starting to get some Kona feels. Casey even had to pacify her hunger with this.

Eventually we did finally get some food. Casey branched out on her own and went with the Mickey Waffles.

These were fresh and clearly had been made to order so she was a happy girl. We’ve only ever had Mickey waffles from a buffet before so it was so nice to have some hot fluffy ones straight from the griddle.

For his breakfast Jason went with the Dark Chocolate Waffles which are served with a Dried Cherry Compote, Espresso-Mascarpone Cream, Chocolate Shavings, and a side of sausage.

I’m not much for sweet things in the morning or breakfast period for that matter, but these waffles were perfection! The actual waffles were light and fluffy and while chocolatey they weren’t overly sweet. The cherries added some brightness to the dish and the coffee flavor from espresso cream really set the flavor off. The whole dish was really well balanced and Jason proclaimed this his favorite Disney breakfast.

Not surprisingly I went the savory route and got the Breakfast Flatbread with a Sunny–side Egg, Applewood-smoked Bacon, Ham, Provolone, and just for @ariane37 Arugula!

OMG this was so delicious!!!! It had a ton of cheese on it that went really well with the bacon and ham. Unlike my Kona experience the egg was perfectly cooked and the creamy yolk combined with the crunchy arugula really put the dish over the top. My only complaint is that I could have used another egg and more arugula. In life there is never enough arugula!!!

Despite the non-existent and tortoise paced service the food at Ale and Compass was really outstanding. Jason even proclaimed it the new Kona (aka it was better than Kona used to be) which was much needed after our disastrous breakfast just two days prior. We elected to just have entrees but for a few dollars more we could have added their buffet as well. With our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $10.15.

Generously removing only half a point for the bad service, the food was so good 4.5 forky’s were given.

From the Yacht Club we boated to MGM where we rode Casey’s ears

Saw a “cutting edge “3D movie and toured the stars before the August sky’s began to open up.

We sought refuge from the downpour in One Mans Dream and when in One Mans Dream….

For those that follow their amazing reports we had to pay homage to my afternoon here in May with Ariane and Kelly aka @ariane37 and @buzzrelly where recreating all the photos while it rained seemed the most brilliant of ideas.

At this point the Casey nerves about Rockin’ Roller Coaster started up and she was clearly not wanting to ride it despite having done it before. We used our usual tactics of guilt followed by bribery but ultimately caved and switched it for a fast pass on the ride with the best acronym ever: Aliens Swirling Saucers.

While no limo ride at least my husband got to show off his artistic skills in line.

As we were making our way out we saw the Indian Jones show was starting. Last time I’d seen this was when I was a kid so we decided to grab a treat and head in.

Someone was not sharing.

About 10 minutes into the show they abruptly cancelled it because they said there was lightening in the area. I questioned the logic of sending several thousand people out into lightening vs. continuing a show that was under cover. Some days Disney logic just never makes sense.

But Casey at least got to meet the not sweaty at all star.

I can only fathom what he would have looked like had they actually finished the show.

We drowned our Indy sorrows with a beer from somewhere that sold beer.

And got a few photos with my trashy friend and the shirt that inspired my dining report title.

Up next, Signatures and Uno and Table Cloths Oh My!
Ooh, those chocolate cherry pancakes look awesome! But I mostly love the slinky dog headband!

We aren't going to go but as sad as it makes me I don't think he'll make it that long. We've just booked hotels and no tickets or flights so we can cancel if needed.
I am not sure how to feel about that. It's tough situation.

Casey too. That and salt. How she's a rail I will never understand.
I can see a teeny tiny bit creaping into Gwen as she nears 10! But thankfully she is active with Rock Climbing and now Ninja Warrior Classes.

Happy Snow Day from Virginia!!!! The government and schools closed down early so what's a Mama to do? Wine and DIS of course! Casey had other thoughts though...
Lucky!!!! I am so craving a true snow day! We haven't had any and we didn't have any last year either.

I'm jealous!!! I want a snow day, too!!! But it's been in the 40's in Chicago....like we didn't get the memo it's supposed to be winter!

Have you been to WDW recently????
We were last there summer 2018 for our 30th anniversary and stayed at the YC which I absolutely loved for oh so many reasons but mainly it's proximity to Epcot (and decent restaurants and wine lists lol).
I like the way you think. Setting the service bar low intentionally so poor Kona's self esteem would suffer.
See I'm a kind soul at heart :rotfl:
This is true. Now only if I could actually use it on here without getting a demerit point.
There's demerit points???? Bold bad Kari :lmao:How many do you have?:confused3:rotfl:
Maybe they are bitter they aren't at a more expensive restaurant :confused3
Exactly! That's what it is!:thumbsup2

Gorgeous snow day photo of Casey. No snow here -just Baltic weather conditions which I now have the pleasure of going and standing pitch-side in so as I'm doing the responsible loving mother thing of a footy mad son as opposed to sitting in my comfy house watching tv drinking tea which is what I want to do :confused3 :rotfl:

Happy New Year a week later. Happy you are feeling better and back to posting.
No one is happier than me 😷 🍷

Reminds me of some lunch experiences we had at the old Captain's Grille. At one lunch DH started to joke to me that maybe the waiter was in the witness protection program
That is hilarious!!!! Tell your hubby the Witness Protection Program is alive and well!

I am glad to hear despite the service issues the food was good. DH & I always enjoyed the food at lunch if not the service. We didn't get to Ale & Compass last trip maybe next time.
So sad though that Disney just can't get service right here when its (largely) so good everywhere else.

Ooh, those chocolate cherry pancakes look awesome! But I mostly love the slinky dog headband!
How about eating them in the headband! Now that's a winner

I am not sure how to feel about that. It's tough situation.
I'm not sure how I feel either but we're being realists.

Lucky!!!! I am so craving a true snow day! We haven't had any and we didn't have any last year either.
They are so ridiculously cautious here. If there is even the smell of snow in the air they cancel everything. We only got like 2 inches of snow but they decided to shut the government down at 1 so people got out before rush hour. All they did was just make rush hour 4 hours early :P

I'm jealous!!! I want a snow day, too!!! But it's been in the 40's in Chicago....like we didn't get the memo it's supposed to be winter!
Come to DC and you'll get them fairly often for no obvious reason. Though your warmth is headed our way. Its going to be 70 on Saturday

sign me up!
You got a date

We were last there summer 2018 for our 30th anniversary and stayed at the YC which I absolutely loved for oh so many reasons but mainly it's proximity to Epcot (and decent restaurants and wine lists lol).
I had no idea!!!!

There's demerit points???? Bold bad Kari :lmao:How many do you have?:confused3:rotfl:
Yup! I haven't gotten any in a while but with my mouth its bound to happen every once in a while. Though I'm pretty sure @ariane37 has me beat. Someone even contacted her boss one time because of her bold badness :P

Gorgeous snow day photo of Casey. No snow here -just Baltic weather conditions which I now have the pleasure of going and standing pitch-side in so as I'm doing the responsible loving mother thing of a footy mad son as opposed to sitting in my comfy house watching tv drinking tea which is what I want to do :confused3 :rotfl:
I'm guessing pitch-side in Baltic weather with a footy mad is a bad thing :confused3

I'm guessing pitch-side in Baltic weather with a footy mad is a bad thing :confused3
It's a cold thing for sure! My feet were numb after about 10 mins so me and 1 of the other mums decided that what the kids didn't know wouldn't hurt them and sneaked to a nearby coffee shop for a takeaway ;) Back before the match finished, got the score of a very loyal dad -no harm done and brownie points earned as mum of the century!:thumbsup2 Shush and don't tell on me 🤫
I had no idea!!!!
Hoping to make a return visit soon-possibly summer but would really love to visit at Christmas. Prices for flights are still on the scary side so waiting to see how it looks nearer the time and crossing my fingers.
Yup! I haven't gotten any in a while but with my mouth its bound to happen every once in a while. Though I'm pretty sure @ariane37 has me beat. Someone even contacted her boss one time because of her bold badness :P
Sounds like my kinda girl:rotfl:

I'm so glad you guys have Ale & Compass breakfast a thumbs up! Or should I save, forks up? Ok, that was just bad. Lol

We're staying at the BW in less than 2 weeks and we have an ADR booked. I've been wavering on it. It's a keeper now!

It's a cold thing for sure! My feet were numb after about 10 mins so me and 1 of the other mums decided that what the kids didn't know wouldn't hurt them and sneaked to a nearby coffee shop for a takeaway ;) Back before the match finished, got the score of a very loyal dad -no harm done and brownie points earned as mum of the century!:thumbsup2 Shush and don't tell on me 🤫
And this is why we made sure Casey took on an indoor sport :P

Hoping to make a return visit soon-possibly summer but would really love to visit at Christmas. Prices for flights are still on the scary side so waiting to see how it looks nearer the time and crossing my fingers.
I'll cross everything I can manage to get crossed for you!

I'm so glad you guys have Ale & Compass breakfast a thumbs up! Or should I save, forks up? Ok, that was just bad. Lol
But so bad its forking good!!!

We're staying at the BW in less than 2 weeks and we have an ADR booked. I've been wavering on it. It's a keeper now!
How exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you love Ale and Compass as much as we did. Just expect poor service but know the food will be great!

Baby It’s Cold Inside

After a day in MGM we headed back to Caribbean Beach. While Casey swam, I finally got a good phone call.

My amazing Dad had been checking in on the dog and he seemed to be responding much better to him than the sitter. So before I could say no he’d already packed his bags and moved into our house for the next week. This was the best early birthday present I could have received because not only did I know the dog was in good hands, but we’d be able to finish our Disney trip and still head to Savannah as planned. I was able to cancel the flights I’d purchased the night before with no problem and for the first time truly felt like I was in vacation mode.

So what’s a girl to do to celebrate? Head to one of her favorite restaurants of course.

But first the obligatory we clean up nicely photos.

And yet another photographic reminder that even my Charlie Brown head is bigger than my husbands.

In what should not come as a surprise to anyone we had dinner at the California Grill. I think this is the one restaurant we go to every trip as it rarely disappoints. And speaking of not disappointing, may I present some semi-tipsy notes which have moments of complete clarity and moments of “Tatats too itiskian.”

To get our celebration off on the right foot I got their Ancho Rancho Spicy Margarita with Patrón Anejo, Ancho Reyes Chili Liqueur, Fresh Lime Juice, and Agave Nectar.

I must have liked this because “Me star spicy margarita food to finally have one with spicy inline frontera rum taste like Melanie stuff.” I was not drinking rum nor know anyone named Melanie so ya got me on most of that.

Jason went with the Sonoma Maple Bourbon Old Fashioned which is Sonoma Brothers Bourbon, Vanilla Maple Syrup, Angostura Bitters, and Luxardo Cherries with an Orange Twist. No photographic evidence but I was a bit more coherent here because “Jason maple burbling old fashioned didn’t know what to epscoet thought too maple but wasn’t nice flavors together.”

To help soak our drinks and everything to come we of course were treated to some bread.

Which “Bread food like sour but miss butter instead of oil.” Yes Kari, Bread = Food. I think I’m finally getting the hang of this whole dining review thing.

Being it was the middle of August a California Peach Salad with Fried Goat Cheese, Candied Pecans, Summer Greens, and Roasted Cherry Vinaigrette sounded like it would be perfect .

Sadly I was wrong because in a moment of complete and utter clarity “peaches not ripe enough had better from farmers market loved pecans and fried goat cheese really good but ridick small portion and not worth $16.” Score tipsy me!

We also shared the Braised Short Rib Wontons with Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, and Pickled Lotus Root.

These were the winner of the entire night and one of the best items of the trip. And how do I know this? Because “Beef wontons delicious like spicy chili sauce remind of Schumann dumplings too spicy for Casey beef good and tender but oil made with cola is true stand out best Disney dumplings j says best thing ate tonight and he isn’t dump queen like me.” Again such coherence from the Dump Queen. Who am I even?

While we were waiting for our entrees we got a second round of drinks and my normally oblivious husband was dialed in to some of the best signature restaurant people watching we’ve had in a while.

May I present, the World Series of Uno Tournament.

A grown man protecting his precious shirt from what appears to be a mean ole steak.

And my personal favorite, table cloths as formal wear.

Move over jersey shirts here is the hot new Disney style.

You just can’t make this stuff up.

Now back to us who clearly know the reserved and demure dining California Grill deserves.

For entrée’s Casey was jonesing for some sushi and who am I to deny her so we shared a few. First up we got the California Combination Roll with Jumbo Lump Crab, Avocado, Cucumber, and Shrimp Tempura.

This was actually two separate rolls vice being all together but it was “much better than traditional krab line orange sauce for shrink but not as good as u.” But is anyone really as good as you? Yes I’m talking to you.:D

We also ordered the Spicy Kazan with Crab, Shrimp, Scallops, Tuna, and Fireball Sauce. Since it was spicy I ordered the sauce on the side in case it was too much for Casey.

Turns out it was because “weird with scallops 2 spicy for c but she like tony roll love rice picks with it.” Weird and rice picks. I’ll go with we didn’t love this one.

Lastly we ordered the New Moon with Maine Lobster, Avocado, Barbecue Eel, Rice Pearls and Gochujang .

This was the real winner because “best one love lobster and eel sauce complex.” She tipsy shoots and scores!!!

To wash this down we got a bottle of our favorite wine here, the Michael Redde Sancerre.

(Stock photo courtesy of 2017). Though my notes think we had something dramatically different as ”Bottle of dancers same brand as always but 2018 and not as acid as used too mug still good.” I mean is there really a difference between dancers and wine anyway. :confused3

My carnivore husband went out on an unusual limb for him and ordered the Ahi Tuna with Udon Noodles, Lemon Grass-Yellow Watermelon Vinaigrette, Dashi-braised Turnips, and Yellow Tomato Sauce .

I gather he hadn’t read the description very well because “Jason tuna with udon didn’t read though Asian but tomate threw of but goood and needed something to brighten it Tatats too itiskian would like better if he wasn’t so cold and had table clothes to earn up.” So it was not very Asian but still goood (cause extra o’s mean it was extra goood) though he would of liked it more if he had a table cloth to warm him up. Clearly Dump queen is also the queen of tipsy notes translation.

We didn’t order dessert because “Skip desser Goff dumbs cake at home.” I just love goff dumbs cake, don’t you?

We are now 5 months past this trip and my notes surprisingly aren’t helping me recall too much. I did jot down that we saved $ 39.40 with our Tables in Wonderland Card . But when uno and table cloths are your stand-out memory from the meal I’m going to guess the food wasn’t too stellar. But it is California Grill so four forkys it is.

From there we “Ubo home pics and sun a and wine.” This is the only photographic evidence I have of whatever this means.

Up next, we visit our Disney home away from home.

This was the best early birthday present I could have received because not only did I know the dog was in good hands, but we’d be able to finish our Disney trip and still head to Savannah as planned. I was able to cancel the flights I’d purchased the night before with no problem and for the first time truly felt like I was in vacation mode.
Thank Goodness for your Dad! And the fact that you doggie played along well enough!

IMG_0146.jpeg
Cute dress! And great pic.

I must have liked this because “Me star spicy margarita food to finally have one with spicy inline frontera rum taste like Melanie stuff.” I was not drinking rum nor know anyone named Melanie so ya got me on most of that.
The Me star start of your sentence sounds like you are channeling Jar Jar Binks. Sounds like a margarita I would like.

Yes Kari, Bread = Food. I think I’m finally getting the hang of this whole dining review thing.
Good thing you are finally getting a hang of it.

We also shared the Braised Short Rib Wontons with Doenjang Miso-Cola-Onion Sauce, Crispy Garlic-Chili Oil, Radish, and Pickled Lotus Root.
We had these as well. Really good. I think Morgan actually ate one! She really liked the meat inside, she might of ate around the chili sauce.

“Beef wontons delicious like spicy chili sauce remind of Schumann dumplings too spicy for Casey beef good and tender but oil made with cola is true stand out best Disney dumplings j says best thing ate tonight and he isn’t dump queen like me.” Again such coherence from the Dump Queen. Who am I even?
Wait, Morgan ate something that Casey didn't!!!! Amazing.

You just can’t make this stuff up.
Did you take this photo just to get a better shot of the lady? What I don't understand is, when we were there they gave the girls shawls. Did they want that lady wearing a table cloth? Did they not have the shawls?

My carnivore husband went out on an unusual limb for him and ordered the Ahi Tuna with Udon Noodles, Lemon Grass-Yellow Watermelon Vinaigrette, Dashi-braised Turnips, and Yellow Tomato Sauce .
This sounds delish.

“Jason tuna with udon didn’t read though Asian but tomate threw of but goood and needed something to brighten it Tatats too itiskian would like better if he wasn’t so cold and had table clothes to earn up.
Clearly you were distracted by the table cloth lady.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter