Zoos

I have participated in threads of this topic on this board and they always spiral into heated debates that end up being either closed or heavily moderated. I’d like to avoid more of the same. I’m not an anti-zoo activist, but I will also never work with captive animals in a zoo setting again. For legal reasons I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing details publicly anyway. I’m just fine if you don’t find me to be valid.

All facilities that have animals in human care aren't created equal. You have a beef with one, fine. I have several I don't advocate and would like to see shut down. Google a place in Indiana called Wildlife in Need.

I just object to your sweeping statement that includes all zoos and how they aren't coming close to doing right by animals. Then you sign out without providing any evidence.

ZooTampa is great. I wasn’t aware they changed the name until this thread. There is also a book about it called “Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives”. It shows both the good, the bad, and the sad, regarding keeping animals in captivity.

Yep, just like life.

I haven't heard about that book, but I'm interested in reading it. Have you read ZooNebraska?

We went to a dolphin attraction in Jamaica. Several years before a hurricane came through. They opened the gates to the ocean so the dolphins could flee if they chose. They all stayed.

Sad how Blackfish duped so many.
I'm not surprised that they decided to stay though. It's possible that the dolphins got very used to humans, maybe even the particular humans they interacted with on a more consistent basis and may not have known what to even do if given the opportunity to live out their lives in the wild. All of them staying vs one or two leaving can also be because of being in a pod. I'm assuming you were coming at it from a treatment by humans standpoint and while that could have an impact I'm not so sure how much of an impact that would be on their decision to stay when suddenly and randomly given the opportunity to just leave the place they've been living at for X amount of time.

I think zoos have evolved over time. They are normally more aware of people's concerns towards ethically treatment and philosophical "should we have animals in captive or not" today than they were years ago at least that's my impression.

There is no doubt that zoos can be used to the betterment of a species whether that is helping bring up their numbers or provide a place to live where they otherwise would have died if left in the wild. There are also times where animals are culled in zoos (speaking on a global level too) or killed as we've seen in the past when humans have unfortunately been at fault and that part can be difficult to get around in one's mind when it comes to the debate of keeping animals in captivity.

I tend to have the opinion that zoos are still majority good in terms of overall aspects for animals.

Why comment on something when you haven’t even watched it?

Again, why would I watch it? I can watch any number of fictional movies that don’t claim to be true and have my heart strings pulled at for whatever animal. This ones claims to be completely true. I don’t like to be lied to and that is what this “documentary” is doing.

I'm not surprised that they decided to stay though. It's possible that the dolphins got very used to humans, maybe even the particular humans they interacted with on a more consistent basis and may not have known what to even do if given the opportunity to live out their lives in the wild. All of them staying vs one or two leaving can also be because of being in a pod. I'm assuming you were coming at it from a treatment by humans standpoint and while that could have an impact I'm not so sure how much of an impact that would be on their decision to stay when suddenly and randomly given the opportunity to just leave the place they've been living at for X amount of time.
Completely understand. Just pointing out that if their life was as horrible as some might have us believe, they would have left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter