Zoos

I also love zoos. AK is my absolute favorite park as I love seeing the animals. I also love seeing all of the Conservation efforts.

I was also going to mention Bronx Zoo and the Animal Planet show "The Zoo". I found this show several months ago and absolutely love it and have learned a lot. They just started a spin off of the show at San Diego Zoo and I am enjoying that too. And then on Nat Geo Wild, there is a show "Secrets of the Zoo" which is at the Columbus Zoo. All of these shows (oh and the Aquarium one at Georgia Aquarium) are so interesting and I look forward to watching them! The keepers are so engaging with the animals and you can tell how much they love and care for the animals!

I love those shows too!

We were visiting ZooTampa earlier this year when they were taping for Nat Geo Wild. It's going to be on for 6 episodes in early 2020.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/r...-wild/67-4462d052-fff2-4b58-9228-3079074792ae

Last edited:
Well, virtually no animal that resides in human care has ever seen the "wild". No animal is captured in the "wild" and made to live in a zoo. The current zoo population has been either rescued or born there, so there is no possibility to release any of these animals. They are living in a place where they are loved and cared for to the best of human possibility and I think that's the best thing for them.

All accredited zoos are now supporting conservation efforts in the areas of the world where animals are threatened. The American Zoological Association spends $160 million annually on 2500 projects helping to protect animals in their natural habitat. Who else is doing that?

Perhaps you can let me know what the people that are against captivity are doing to protect the animals in the wild. I haven't heard of anything.

This is an area that is near and dear to my heart and I can provide you with a lot of facts that you can share with your students, so they can understand the impact the modern and accredited zoo is having on the animals in their care. Once they understand the huge picture, maybe they will come to a different conclusion.

I am for zoos, but your statement about no wild animal is captured and put in a zoo is false. For example, if you read my earlier post, you would have seen that our zoo(and a couple of others) took in elephants that were going to be culled because of the over population and lack of food. It was either place them in zoos or kill them. I think that if you asked them, they would rather live in a nice zoo then be shot. But these are extreme cases. Most animals, as you say, are born in captivity. Many also come from seizures when they find someone with an illegal to own animal.

I am for zoos, but your statement about no wild animal is captured and put in a zoo is false. For example, if you read my earlier post, you would have seen that our zoo(and a couple of others) took in elephants that were going to be culled because of the over population and lack of food. It was either place them in zoos or kill them. I think that if you asked them, they would rather live in a nice zoo then be shot. But these are extreme cases. Most animals, as you say, are born in captivity. Many also come from seizures when they find someone with an illegal to own animal.
I was thinking the same thing about the manatee rehabilitation program at our zoo, but assumed the PP was making a distinction between "captured" and "rescued".

I am for zoos, but your statement about no wild animal is captured and put in a zoo is false.

What you are describing is a rescued animal and yes, those are sent to zoos for rehab and then release, if at all possible. It's the third sentence in that first paragraph.

When I say no animal is captured and put into a zoo, I mean that there is no zoo today that I'm aware of that says, I think we need some orangutans, let me jet over to Borneo and throw a rope around a few.

I love those shows too!

We were visiting ZooTampa earlier this year when they were taping for Nat Geo Wild. It's going to be on for 6 episodes in early 2020.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/r...-wild/67-4462d052-fff2-4b58-9228-3079074792ae

Yes, another one to look forward to! I found the AP zoo show several months ago and since then have not been able to get enough. And living in CA and having been to SD Zoo, I was excited to see that zoo on the show now.

Yes, another one to look forward to! I found the AP zoo show several months ago and since then have not been able to get enough. And living in CA and having been to SD Zoo, I was excited to see that zoo on the show now.

I love SD Zoo! I think it's one of the top zoo's in the country.

I watched several of the AP shows but then things got busy and I forgot about them. I am going to have go get caught up!

I'm really interested in the ZooTampa show since we saw them filming one day and I'd like to see how it comes out. We were asked not to take any pictures of them filming, so it will be interesting to see if any of the things we saw made the cut.

Sadly, my local zoo would never be featured on a show. We can't compete with some of the big zoos, but that's ok. They do a good job for conservation and take excellent care of the animals and their habitats and I'm happy about that.

I do think some people tend to forget the "Circle of Life" aspect of being an animal in the wild. Most animal species live in a frequent kill or be killed scenario and don't live harmonious, easygoing lives.

Yes, there absolutely have been zoos that were not designed with their mental or physical health as the primary concern, but I think these places, including Sea World have made huge strides to improve that. There is constant learning that happens and IMO the more we learn about animals where they're more easily studied, the better we can anticipate changes that can be made in the wild when needed.

After watching Black Fish, I stopped going to Sea World.

Now, I’m questioning if zoos make sense. Why keep animals in captivity at all? It seems cruel.

And the backlash finally hit circuses.

Is it time to rethink zoos?

I sure hope not. DD is a zoology major who plans to rehabilitate animals so they can be released back to the wild. I would hate to think all that tuition money was for nothing.

I sure hope not. DD is a zoology major who plans to rehabilitate animals so they can be released back to the wild. I would hate to think all that tuition money was for nothing.

I think, like circus animals, zoos will change or go away. The backlash against Sea World continues. Folks don't really want to see circus animals anymore. And folks in general are questioning animals in captivity.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen immediately. But I didn't expect circus animals to go away in my lifetime either.

I enjoyed going to zoos as a kid. But after stepping back and thinking about, I question whether they make sense in their current form.

The backlash against Sea World continues

I don't know that I agree with your statement, but perhaps if more people would read the misleading information concerning Blackfish, more people would see that that movie was made to promote an activists agenda.

http://da15bdaf715461308003-0c725c9...ist-of-inaccuracies-and-misleading-points.pdf
But after stepping back and thinking about, I question whether they make sense in their current form.

What questions do you have about the modern zoo?

I think, like circus animals, zoos will change or go away. The backlash against Sea World continues. Folks don't really want to see circus animals anymore. And folks in general are questioning animals in captivity.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen immediately. But I didn't expect circus animals to go away in my lifetime either.

I enjoyed going to zoos as a kid. But after stepping back and thinking about, I question whether they make sense in their current form.

I think they make perfect sense in their current form.
It goes without saying I am speaking of accredited zoos (and even some that aren't).

I love zoos! I have a membership with the Cincinnati Zoo and try to go 4-5 times a year. Recently they've gotten three baby male manatees that were a rescue done by Sea World then transported in for housing. Cutest things you'd ever see. They added a girl later also a Sea World rescue after her mother was injured by a boat and later died. Without housing and care these little orphans would have been left to die but here they get a second chance.

I worked as a senior keeper/trainer for several years at one of the zoos many here are applauding. I understand the role of education and conservation, but I’ll tell you even the very best zoos with the most money and space can’t come remotely close to giving their animals what they need. That’s the only comment I’ll make on the subject.

I worked as a senior keeper/trainer for several years at one of the zoos many here are applauding. I understand the role of education and conservation, but I’ll tell you even the very best zoos with the most money and space can’t come remotely close to giving their animals what they need. That’s the only comment I’ll make on the subject.

You can say anything you want, but if you don't want to have a conversation about it, then I don't think your statements have much validity.

You can say anything you want, but if you don't want to have a conversation about it, then I don't think your statements have much validity.

I have participated in threads of this topic on this board and they always spiral into heated debates that end up being either closed or heavily moderated. I’d like to avoid more of the same. I’m not an anti-zoo activist, but I will also never work with captive animals in a zoo setting again. For legal reasons I wouldn’t feel comfortable discussing details publicly anyway. I’m just fine if you don’t find me to be valid.

Last edited:
What you are describing is a rescued animal and yes, those are sent to zoos for rehab and then release, if at all possible. It's the third sentence in that first paragraph.

When I say no animal is captured and put into a zoo, I mean that there is no zoo today that I'm aware of that says, I think we need some orangutans, let me jet over to Borneo and throw a rope around a few.

In the United States... Many overseas facilities still capture animals from the wild, including orcas, in an attempt to recreate the success of US facilities.

I don’t doubt you at all, but what is the alternative for animals who cannot be released in to the wild?
Do we just do nothing because we can’t do everything for them?

ZooTampa is great. I wasn’t aware they changed the name until this thread. There is also a book about it called “Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives”. It shows both the good, the bad, and the sad, regarding keeping animals in captivity.

In the United States... Many overseas facilities still capture animals from the wild, including orcas, in an attempt to recreate the success of US facilities.

Perhaps I should clarify my statements then. When I'm advocating for zoos, I'm talking only about zoos in the US.

If you can point me to one single zoo in the US that still captures animals, I will be glad to look into it.

I really don't even want to get into animal rights, care and abuse in foreign nations. I agree there is a lot of room for improvement in that environment.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter