Zootopia is a hit!

*LITTLE SPOILER DONT READ!*

I loved the movie! It was funny and kept my interest. I like the way Disney takes a difficult subject and turns it into something kids can understand and relate to. Plus I learned the most important lesson of all......never trust a sheep! Lol

Waiting to see the movie right now. It's opening weekend for our local drive outside of Buffalo NY. It's about 45 degrees out right now but the place is at least half full & cars still coming in. Love the drive in!!!

Waiting to see the movie right now. It's opening weekend for our local drive outside of Buffalo NY. It's about 45 degrees out right now but the place is at least half full & cars still coming in. Love the drive in!!!
You wouldn't be at the Transit Drive In would you?

Took the granddaughter to see it today at the Regal 18 in Williamsville, didnt even realize the drive in was open yet. We both liked it, she was cracking up the whole time. I did find the nude scene a little disturbing though. ;)

I thought it was great...solid and all the good qualities of animated movie: smart, emotional, funny...

Disney feature has been doing some GREAT work...now they have to work out some of the kinks with some of the stale Pixar trends.

A definite score for Disney.

Hey, FWIW I started a Zootopia Spoilers thread in the Disney Movies etc. board here (down below the Community board) if anyone wants to discuss/express opinions in depth including spoilers.

(And Barnes & Noble says my "Art of Zootopia" book should be on my porch tomorrow! Can't wait!)

Last year was a rollercoaster for Disney's film division. While Star Wars and Inside/Out were blockbuster hits it's sometimes forgotton that they had two catastrophic bombs in Tomorrowland and The Good Dinosaur(gasp a Pixar film!). The Avengers Age Of Ultron also underperformed domestically mking 200 million less than it's predecessor. Ant-man's performance was mediocre.

While Zootopia is doing well, it will be interesting on how long it's legs are. Disney has a slate of very expensive films coming later this year and the failure of two of them(like last year) can erase the profits of their "hits" in an instant.

Last year was a rollercoaster for Disney's film division. While Star Wars and Inside/Out were blockbuster hits it's sometimes forgotton that they had two catastrophic bombs in Tomorrowland and The Good Dinosaur(gasp a Pixar film!). The Avengers Age Of Ultron also underperformed domestically mking 200 million less than it's predecessor. Ant-man's performance was mediocre.

While Zootopia is doing well, it will be interesting on how long it's legs are. Disney has a slate of very expensive films coming later this year and the failure of two of them(like last year) can erase the profits of their "hits" in an instant.

Zootopia has no family competition in theaters for another month. Timing is everything. Zootopia is already a sleeper hit. Sometimes it's as much about when you release as it is what you release.

Anybody think deadpool would be doing well if it hadn't found a soft schedule?

True.

My point is that almost all of Disney's films are films with exhorbitant budgets and marketing costs.

Many analyists place The Good Dinosaur's loss at over 300 milion for Disney when all is said and done. Most put it at around 200 million. Either way, the profits from fellow Pixar release Inside/Out nearly evaporated.

I don't think there is a good definition of "catastrophic bombs" but The Good Dinosaur had over $315 in revenue and ranked 23rd in total box office receipts in 2015 according to http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Good-Dinosaur-The#tab=summary

I don't think there is a good definition of "catastrophic bombs" but The Good Dinosaur had over $315 in revenue and ranked 23rd in total box office receipts in 2015 according to http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Good-Dinosaur-The#tab=summary

The Good Dinosaur was a catastrophic bomb. It's production budget was $200 million with a marketing budget rumored to be upwards of $150 million. Studios only get around 50% of receipts in North America and only 40%(or less) overseas. Studios only get 25% of the gross from China!

So total cost = $350 million

Needed to "break even"= around $700 million.

The Good Dinosaur didn't even get halfway there. Yes, there will be ancillary income to be had in the years to come but it is minor.

Zootopia is a hit, but it is important that the expensive live-action The Jungle Book does well next month. From what I hear, The Jungle Book was every bit as expensive as he Good Dinosaur and they are spending boatloads on Promotion and Advertising.

It seems that the era of Lindsay Lohan movies and Hannah Montana cheapies is gone for Disney. They are taking a risky all-big-ticket blockbuster approach that leaves little room for failure. I'm not just picking on The Good Dinosaur(which I personally loved, btw) but Tomorrowland was an equally expensive disaster.

Disney's current strategy leaves little room for failure.

The Good Dinosaur was a catastrophic bomb. It's production budget was $200 million with a marketing budget rumored to be upwards of $150 million. Studios only get around 50% of receipts in North America and only 40%(or less) overseas. Studios only get 25% of the gross from China!

The Good Dinosaur didn't even get halfway there. Yes, there will be ancillary income to be had in the years to come but it is minor.

Zootopia is a hit, but it is important that the expensive live-action The Jungle Book does well next month. From what I hear, The Jungle Book was every bit as expensive as he Good Dinosaur and they are spending boatloads on Promotion and Advertising.
The good dinosaur was bound to not do well from the start. It had production problems, it's storyline was redone. The jungle book may not be a hit but I think it will still do better because it already has better marketing and it's a remake it's not something brand new so people have an idea of what to expect.

It seems that the era of Lindsay Lohan movies and Hannah Montana cheapies is gone for Disney. They are taking a risky all-big-ticket blockbuster approach that leaves little room for failure. I'm not just picking on The Good Dinosaur(which I personally loved, btw) but Tomorrowland was an equally expensive disaster.

Disney's current strategy leaves little room for failure.
I think tomorrowlands problem was marketing because I actually liked that film. I can't speak for good Dino as I haven't seen it yet.

No wonder you can hear Hollywood suits screaming in fear everytime a screenwriter says the word ''original'' during a pitch. Production and advertising expenses have become so ridiculously high that taking risks is now a synonym of financial failure.

$700MM needed to break even on a film (not named Star Wars) is nuts, if true. I wouldn't make that bet with government money.

That completely ignores any additional revenue (licensing, toys, dvd sales, streaming etc.). And that is not minor.

Yes Good Dinosaur bombed, but don't believe movie studio math about how much they lost. Movies magically almost never "make a profit".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter