Zootopia is a hit!

$700MM needed to break even on a film (not named Star Wars) is nuts, if true. I wouldn't make that bet with government money.

It depends on the film. A major box office hit usually needs to double their original budget + 100-150 million to make profit. For instance, Big Hero 6 (a 165 million movie) has a box office of 657 million worldwide and made an estimated profit of 187 million for the studio. Basically it doubled the cost of the film and covered the advertising expenses (about 140 million).

That's still a lot of money for most films. For a 200 million film like Good Dinosaur with advertising expenses on a Pixar scale, the film needed at least 500 million to break even, if not more. It probably represented a 200 million loss for Disney.

Last edited:
Those films also bring in money in other ways. Overall the Good Dinosaur is not a loss, it actually still made the company money on their bottomline. Your analyzing on one segment and adding numbers to it that don't represent the actual figures.

Those films also bring in money in other ways. Overall the Good Dinosaur is not a loss, it actually still made the company money on their bottomline. Your analyzing on one segment and adding numbers to it that don't represent the actual figures.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the film has a production and marketing cost of 350 million, and the film made only 317 million at the box office, out of which Disney only gets 50% in the US and even a smaller portion in foreign markets. I don't know if it recovered its budget through merchandise and home entertainment, but the film by its own was a big loss for the studio.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the film has a production and marketing cost of 350 million, and the film made only 317 million at the box office, out of which Disney only gets 50% in the US and even a smaller portion in foreign markets. I don't know if it recovered its budget through merchandise and home entertainment, but the film by its own was a big loss for the studio.

But the Studios revenue is a pretty small portion of Disney's overall revenue. One of the reasons marketing budgets are so high is because Disney uses what it calls a Tentpole strategy where publicity of the film drives not just box office but all sorts of other sales too. Also consider that the figures you have don't include tv deals, DVD sales, streaming deals... that's a substantial amount of money not included in the calculation.

It's not a success by any means but I'd be surprised if overall it didn't break even or close to it at least.

I can't wait to watch it, I heard a lot of good reviews about it!
Here in Brazil the premiere is tomorrow (always late lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter