‘American Journeys’

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
There are rumors that Guest Services is receiving requests for Disney to bring back ‘American Journeys’, the CircleVision film removed from both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom some years back. The film was a travelogue across the United States with narration describing the regions and cultures in the country. It is, I believe, by far the best of the Disney CircleVision films and remembered for several scenes: rafting through the Grand Canyon rapids, flying over the Rockies, the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and an up close (really up close) view of the launch of a Space Shuttle.

The CircleVision theater at Disneyland had been converted into the pre-show area for the abandoned ‘Rocket Rods’ ride and has sat empty for two years now. The theater at the Magic Kingdom is used for a temporary showing of ‘Timekeeper’ that has just re-opened for a few weeks while several attractions at WDW are down for rehab. “Rumors” claim that once the rehabs are complete, the theater will be abandoned until funding is received for a show to replace ‘Timekeeper’.

I do not know if a copy of this film still exists or if it is possible to re-open the theaters. But if think that this is a good idea, please join me in contacting Disney.

I hate to see TimeKeeper go... I really enjoyed it. But since it's definately on the way out, this sounds like a great alternative to an empty building! Thanks AV.

Cheryl :bounce:

Nice thought but I think the whole Circle Vision 360 thing is dead in the MK since Timekeeper bit the dust. Rocket Rods has not been confirmed to have a definite replacement yet but rumors point to a Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin which is being delayed for some time due to budget.

Great idea, AV! My email is on its way.
Disney has always been able to use their unique brand of magic to stir patriotism and pride in Americans (personally I always weep like a school girl when I watch either AA or HoP). I think this is something Disney can do (however small) to support the moral of the country.

It'd love to see a 3-D Circlevision! Can you imagine how wild that would be---almost like living in a holograph!

I believe it's called CAVE :)

CAVE is something new. There is nothing like it. And it dosen't exist in any park, yet. The only think that is like CAVE is the ending of The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. But cave will have the celing and all the walls as a screen, not just the 9 screens they have now, kinda like the movie room in Buzz Lightyear. Plus, you won't stand in CAVE, you will be in a moving vehicle, so CAVE would be part of the ride.

I've heard from WDW Magic that Mission: Space might use a form of the CAVE system for attraction but that is just a rumor.

I noticed that Timekeeper was closed on Saturday, maybe they ARE bringing the movie back, afterall how hard would it be?

They probly won't make an announcement about a replacement for quite some time. It took them awhile to announce a replacement for Horizons from 1999 till March 2000.

Accourding to the Countdown Clock at the Mission: Space section of Innoventions, the date counts down to April 30th, 2003.

I'm sure that reels still exist, as WDA keeps an insane amount of items in storage. Considering the current atmosphere, I think that any excuse to add another patriotic attraction should be entertained.

Wonder if they would edit out any scenes that contain the trade towers or leave them in for the impact?

....I'm not real up to date on the tech side of ride mechanims/attractions. What is CAVE and please share an example of its use.....is it really 360 plus 3-D (thus somewhat 4-D)? If so, what a great sounding attraction.....

It sounded really cool. The rumor was Disney was considering using the new CAVE technology for a GMR replacement themed around the villians.

Supposedly, you enter into a room of screens (floor, ceiling, all 4 walls were movie screens). The general theme was supposed to be a walk through some type of forest where you encounter the Disney Villians. I hadn't heard about the ride vehicles, but I could be wrong. The effect was so realistic that some testers had actually put their hands through the screens while trying to reach out and touch something in front of them. It sounds incredible.

In my honest opinion, with Universal appearing to have the most cutting edge ride (Spiderman...I'll see for myself in a few weeks), this is something Disney NEEDS to implement if they even care anymore about being the lead horse in the theme park business.....I just worry that they're happy with a second or third place finish. We'll see what happens.

To all who sent in emails like myself. I received an email today from Disney basically telling me to mind my own business and we deleted your email without giving it another thought. You'll probably be getting one too. Here's the letter if you're interested.

This will acknowledge, with thanks, your recent transmission with
respect to an attraction idea which you have indicated might be of interest
to us.

While our company is supportive of the efforts underway in light of
the tragedy of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, our company's long established
policy does not allow the acceptance or review of any ideas, suggestions or
creative materials not solicited by us. Our intention is to avoid
misunderstandings or confusion when projects or products are created
internally which might be similar to submissions made to us from outside the
company.

We recognize that this policy is sometimes a difficult one when
someone like yourself, with all the best intentions, would simply like us to
consider your creative thoughts. Experience has taught us though, that if
we abandon our policy for one person, we would soon have no policy at all.
Since your transmission was submitted electronically, we have deleted your
transmission without retaining any copies.

We hope that you will understand our policy, and be assured of our
thanks in thinking of our company. We value your patronage and look forward
to many future opportunities to serve and entertain you in our Vacation
Kingdom.

Sincerely,

Sharon A. Mecca
Paralegal

The language is a standard response the lawyers send out to all unsolicited ideas and is just cover against lawsuits. Despite the tone in the response, the company is getting the message.

I personally think it is wrong and unnecessary considering the clear disclaimer they present when you send your email, which clearly states that any ideas are the property of WDW. So they should take our great ideas and run!
It is very disheartening to have a whole email thrown out (with no copy to edit and resubmit), just because Disney lawyers decide that one thing you said was an idea.

The one thing that stopped me from visiting Timekeeper over and over and over and over and over ..... and over again was that you had to stand. I hate that part of 360º theaters.
tongue2.gif
My suggestion is that they either do a Impressions de France thing where you have a 220º screen with seats. OR ... what would be cool would be a 360º with seats, and the seats revolve to face the action ... THAT'D be HOT.
flame.gif

I'd LOVE the 360 degree seats SPAGo! I bet it would really up costs with us wearing out those ball bearings ;) I don't like to stand for them myself and often just sit on the floor but this fall I'm taking my mom and my aunt so I found those 3 legged stool/chair things for them to sit on. They are really lightweight (they only cost $5) and if I don't carry too much else, I can carry them in my back pack or they have carrying straps. Either way, I know this will be more pleasant for them.

Cheryl :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter