“Christmas is too commercialized”

Hercules10

Al Bundy WannaBe
I’ve heard this since I was a kid and to be honest I’m tired of hearing it. It’s been the decade from hell as far as I’m concerned and I’m going to indulge this time of year. Rant over. :teeth:

We all know that Christmas is a big commercial racket. It's run by a big eastern syndicate, you know.

I love the commercialization of Christmas. It's so colorful and festive. Other religions should take note and commercialize their holidays to make them more popular and fun.

I’ve heard this since I was a kid and to be honest I’m tired of hearing it. It’s been the decade from hell as far as I’m concerned and I’m going to indulge this time of year. Rant over. :teeth:

AMEN!! :thumbsup2

What has this been the decade from hell??

Any decade that has both 9/11 and the implosion of the entire American financial system has to be in the running for worst decade ever, don't you think?

Any decade that has both 9/11 and the implosion of the entire American financial system has to be in the running for worst decade ever, don't you think?

I'm going to say no. 1910's had WW1. 1930's had the great depression, which was far, far worse than the current recession. 1940's had WW2. Even the Korean and Vietnam wars each resulted in far more American lives lost than 9/11 + both Iraq wars + Afghanistan combined.

This has certainly not been a trouble free decade, but I would definitely take it over many of the others.

I love the commercialization of Christmas. It's so colorful and festive. Other religions should take note and commercialize their holidays to make them more popular and fun.

i totally agree. :thumbsup2

if it wasn't for the pretty lights and cheer, i'd be out.

Im with you. I will pm you my address, feel free to indulge me:banana: Jesus may be the reason for the season but so is Cantw8 pleasin' :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm going to say no. 1910's had WW1. 1930's had the great depression, which was far, far worse than the current recession. 1940's had WW2. Even the Korean and Vietnam wars each resulted in far more American lives lost than 9/11 + both Iraq wars + Afghanistan combined.

This has certainly not been a trouble free decade, but I would definitely take it over many of the others.

I believe the posters were talking about decades that we have lived through. When the first poster spoke of the "decade from hell", he was obviously talking about our current decade. Sure, there have been other decades with more casualties and decades with worse financial collapses. We could go back to the Civil War era. That said, this decade surely would be in the upper tier of worst decades. I know that this would qualify as the decade from hell in my lifetime.

I believe the posters were talking about decades that we have lived through. When the first poster spoke of the "decade from hell", he was obviously talking about our current decade. Sure, there have been other decades with more casualties and decades with worse financial collapses. We could go back to the Civil War era. That said, this decade surely would be in the upper tier of worst decades. I know that this would qualify as the decade from hell in my lifetime.

Sorry, I misunderstood "worst decade ever" to mean, well, the worst decade ever. While everyone has different frames of reference, I prefer this decade to the 60s (Vietnam war; Kennedy, Kennedy, and King assassinations) and the 70s (Vietname war; a decade of economic problems; Watergate; hostage crisis). Both decades and events I've lived through.

As for the primary purpose of this thread, I love Christmas. I think it is a great blend of commercial, private, religious, and secular activities. I love it even more than I used to because online retailing allows me to do all my shopping without going into any stores.

I'm also thrilled with the commercialization and popularization of Halloween. It is quickly becoming the second most fun holiday of the year. I wish they would make it a "day off" holiday instead of some of the less fun ones - President's day, Columbus Day, MLK Jr Day (great guy, I just don't see the need for a day off in January).

Sorry, I misunderstood "worst decade ever" to mean, well, the worst decade ever. While everyone has different frames of reference, I prefer this decade to the 60s (Vietnam war; Kennedy, Kennedy, and King assassinations) and the 70s (Vietname war; a decade of economic problems; Watergate; hostage crisis). Both decades and events I've lived through.

As for the primary purpose of this thread, I love Christmas. I think it is a great blend of commercial, private, religious, and secular activities. I love it even more than I used to because online retailing allows me to do all my shopping without going into any stores.

I'm also thrilled with the commercialization and popularization of Halloween. It is quickly becoming the second most fun holiday of the year. I wish they would make it a "day off" holiday instead of some of the less fun ones - President's day, Columbus Day, MLK Jr Day (great guy, I just don't see the need for a day off in January).

I must be a little younger than you. I wasn't even a thought in my parent's head in the 60's. I was too young to remember the 70's much. So, my frame of reference would be the 80's on. How could you hate the eighties though - the invention of the rubiks cube, aqua net hairspray, break dancing... The nineties went by with no major bumps... Then, the new century fell upon us like a ton of bricks.

I too am a big fan of online shopping. I hated the Black Friday rush at retail stores. I love technology and that Christmas is all about giving and getting presents.

Halloween is awesome also. They really should make a Hallow's Eve holiday the night before and commercialize on that. I second the idea to let us have days off on the fun holidays, rather than the less exciting ones.

Im with you. I will pm you my address, feel free to indulge me:banana: Jesus may be the reason for the season but so is Cantw8 pleasin' :rotfl::rotfl:
hypno.gif

I love buying and wrapping presents! I love decorating the tree and buying candies and treats. I alo love visiting our church's live nativity...I think it's about a balance!

Even though I typically tend more towards the commercial side:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter