~ºoº May 4, 2012 - Magic Heads to Key West! ºoº~

iloverags2

DIS Veteran
Looks like no thread has been started for this cruise yet! Let's get this party started! :cool1:

I'm hoping to get a fish extender group going once more cruisers sign-up. Guess I should put that info here for anyone who tags along on this thread!

Please PM to me the following:
Stateroom #
Email Address
Names of people in party (plus DH, DW, etc)
DD/DS and ages for kids with their names
Celebrating anything?

Participants to date
iloverags2 - Cindy (2 adults)
Linden Lady - Amanda (2 adults, 2 boys)
wiggles02 - Kendra (2 adults, 2 boys)
schepp - Joseph (2 adults, 1 girl)

I'm soooooo lonely! I guess it is a bit early for people to be hopping onboard here, but hoping there are a few folks who will be cruising with us. (Oh wait! I guess it would be nice to have the ship to ourselves! :rolleyes1 )

Just booked our cruise. It will be Me, DS 6 and My Mom. My 3rd Disney Cruise, My Mom's 2nd and my son's very first. Looking forward to a great trip!

:yay: Welcome aboard!

I'm hoping to get a fish extender group going once more cruisers sign-up. Guess I should put that info here for anyone who tags along on this thread!

Please PM to me the following:
Stateroom #
Last Name
Email Address
Names of people in party (plus DH, DW, etc)
DD/DS and ages for kids with their names
Celebrating anything?

Once we really get this party started, we can decide on a cutoff date for adding people to the list.

I'm ready to sail NOW!

Sailing on the Magic on May 4. First cruise EVER! I'm just getting the hang of all of this, learning about FE and door magnets, etc., etc. Hope some veterans will give me lots of tips!

I can't figure out the signature lines, so in this post I'll just say that DH (33), DS1 (3), DS2 (1) and I are all excited about our disney cruise!:woohoo:
Oh, and I should add we will be celebrating DS2's 2nd birthday while onboard!!

Woo hoo! Welcome! You will so love cruising...and how awesome your first one will be on DCL. The Magic is a beautiful ship (sentimental favorite for me). Ask away, and I will do my best with any and all tips.

Ask away, and I will do my best with any and all tips.

Thanks! I have so many questions! I'll list a few here and more as we go along! I've been reading moms panel on disney's website and around these boards, but I need more info!
Here's a few questions:

1) Should I bring enough clothes for the entire trip or should I plan on doing laundry (or having a service do it? I assumed they would have that...?)

2) Should I bring a stroller onboard for the (then) 2 and/or (almost) 4 year old?

3) Do most FE exchanges do one gift per trip or one per day? Does it take a lot of time to wonder around filling them up?

4) Do most people decorate their door?

5) Am I going to go insane with 3 other people in a teeny-tiny inside stateroom? (hahahaha...) Anybody ever get a stateroom upgrade on board?

6) I read someone complaining about people vomiting everywhere from seasickness--true?? I'm so scared I'll be sick the whole time!!

What are some of the fun things I can do ahead of time to get ready and make the absolute most of the trip??

(OH, and where do I go to make a signature? I'm sure directions are on these boards somewhere...)

Oh, and anybody ever use these meet ups to find a family with whom they can share a cabana on Castaway Cay? They look cool, but at $500 a pop, yikes!

1) Should I bring enough clothes for the entire trip or should I plan on doing laundry (or having a service do it? I assumed they would have that...?)
That is totally up to you. There are laundry rooms available, and DCL does have a valet and dry cleaning service. However, if you do not want to be doing laundry on your vacation it is perfectly fine to pack enough clothes for your cruise. In the 10 cruises I have been on in my life (anywhere from 3 to 7 nights), I have never done laundry. Granted on the 7-night cruise we did have alot of luggage for just two people. :rotfl:

2) Should I bring a stroller onboard for the (then) 2 and/or (almost) 4 year old?
Since we do not have children, I'm not sure what the easiest route for this is, although I have seen people with strollers. Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to answer this for you. Guest Services does have strollers to use (I believe the deposit is $200, which is refundable upon the stroller's return). I'm not sure how difficult it is to snag one of these.

3) Do most FE exchanges do one gift per trip or one per day? Does it take a lot of time to wonder around filling them up?
Each group sets up the "rules" for their FE exchange, although all the ones I have been involved in were one gift for the trip. I will add here, the gift is totally up to the person giving it (and I have no qualms what that gift is...the fun of the exchange is meeting people through the boards here, and just sprinkling a little pixie dust on someone during their trip). On our last cruise we made up a bag for each stateroom and had a few things for the adults and a few things for the kiddos. Others will do one item per stateroom, such as a homemade photo frame or something from their local area (such as a magnet or candy). I say have fun with it!
As for the time involved, during our 2009 cruise we had 7 or 8 staterooms only that participated so - it took me about 15-20 minutes to deliver goodies. Last year we had around 30 staterooms! I considered splitting them up on separate days, but then decided one of the sea days was a good day to make the rounds. It ended up taking me only about 30-40 minutes, as I had the rooms mapped out ahead of time. (Of course, I did spend time looking at people's FE's...so many cute ones out there!)

4) Do most people decorate their door?
I would say it's 50/50 on door decorations, although people who participate in FEs are more likely to decorate their doors (probably because they are already going through all the "trouble" of the FEs!). You will find that others who are not part of any board groups decorate their doors also (it is becoming commonplace to see door decorations on other cruise lines now, although not quite to the extent as Disney).

5) Am I going to go insane with 3 other people in a teeny-tiny inside stateroom? (hahahaha...) Anybody ever get a stateroom upgrade on board?
Let me put it this way...the smallest inside stateroom on the Magic is 184 sq. ft. We sailed on Royal Caribbean back in 2007 and had 4 ADULTS in a 119 sq. ft. inside stateroom. Talk about insane! Everyone survived. Look at it this way...you will be spending less time in your stateroom than elsewhere on the ship. The nice thing about Disney ships is that all staterooms have a couch (not a standard feature on other cruise lines), so you will have sitting room.
As for upgrades, if you aren't magically pixie-dusted with an upgrade before sailing there is always the opportunity to purchase an upgrade (if available) at the port for a lower rate than if you had upgraded prior to embarkation day. We were fortunate once to receive an upgrade, but honestly I would not count on it (and have not received one since, although we have purchased at the port twice). If you are concerned about the stateroom you will be in, you might want to consider just purchasing the upgrade ahead of time. That is totally up to you!

6) I read someone complaining about people vomiting everywhere from seasickness--true?? I'm so scared I'll be sick the whole time!!
I have yet to see people vomiting everywhere from seasickness! Yes, there will be times when the number of sick people onboard is at an elevated level...norovirus or rough seas can be a cause. We take quite a bit of precaution though as far as noro goes...I always pack a bottle of handsoap (or pick one up near the port) to keep in our bathroom. We use it often! Also, we are careful not to hold onto handrails if at all possible (good place to spread germs!) and always use the handwipes that are distributed (although these will in no way replace good old hand-washing with soap!).
Thankfully no one in my family suffers from seasickness, but if it is something you are concerned about, just be sure to bring Bonine (or whatever your choice of meds is) and take it before the ship sails. Also, seasickness is most often caused by your eyes and ears sensing two different things (your ears sense motion, but your eyes sense you are indoors). If you feel queasy, go to an open deck and look out at the horizon. Should do the trick!

What are some of the fun things I can do ahead of time to get ready and make the absolute most of the trip??
My biggest thing is to slowly work on FE gifts (putting together bags, picking up inexpensive things, crafting something, or whatever else you decide on). I also start finding pictures I might want to use for door magnets...since I typically make my own graphics, I work on that part also. Alot of folks create some type of countdown calendar or chain, and then have something to look forward to every day as they work through their countdown. Making it would certainly be fun too! I spend quite a bit of time reading message boards for tips and then create my own word document with the things that pertain to us.

(OH, and where do I go to make a signature? I'm sure directions are on these boards somewhere...)
To update your signature, Go to near the top of the page, just under the menu path which shows where you are (i.e. The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets > ~ºoº May 4, 2012 - Magic Heads to Key West! ºoº~). There is a menu bar just below that...the first item on the bar is User CP. Click on that. On the left side, click on Edit Signature (under Settings & Options). Update your signature as needed! If you would like a countdown "clock", there are instructions somewhere on these boards how to get one of the Disney specific ones you see in most signatures. Since I don't use those, I'm not sure where they are. You are welcome to use the one I have...you would just need to right click on it, then click on properties, copy the url of it, and then paste it into your signature. Edit it as needed.

Oh, and anybody ever use these meet ups to find a family with whom they can share a cabana on Castaway Cay? They look cool, but at $500 a pop, yikes!
I have heard of families sharing, although I am not certain if they met on their meet threads or not. It probably is a good place to look for someone to share. They are definitely cool looking!

Hope this all helps!

Wow! Thanks for all of the answers!
I definitely want to do FEs. The idea of a "countdown" is so cute! I have a TON of crappy scrap paper, maybe I'll make a paper chain and we can tear a link off everyday until the trip!

We will disembark on Wednesday, but we are considering not flying home until Thursday (the day the cheapie Alligiant Air flights go to our airport). Do you think there is enough time to do Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom after disembarking on Wednesday? I haven't quite figured it out, but maybe we could take the ground transport back to MCO, then Magical Express to WDW, drop our stuff at the onsite resort we reserve (not sure which yet) and then go straight to MK or AK? I've never been to AK but I'm dying to go! I don't know if my little ones will be interested, though.

How do you think DCL compares to the other cruises you have done? Have you been on the Dream?

I hope I'm not annoying you will all of the questions! I just can't believe I'm actually going on a cruise in a few months!

ETA: Norovirus on the ship?? Omg, I seriously cannot imagine something worse than my kids being struck with a stomach bug while trapped in a tiny room all together. I'm seriously shuddering right now. I am going to think happy thoughts and pretend I never heard that... :P

Wow! Thanks for all of the answers!
I definitely want to do FEs. The idea of a "countdown" is so cute! I have a TON of crappy scrap paper, maybe I'll make a paper chain and we can tear a link off everyday until the trip!

We will disembark on Wednesday, but we are considering not flying home until Thursday (the day the cheapie Alligiant Air flights go to our airport). Do you think there is enough time to do Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom after disembarking on Wednesday? I haven't quite figured it out, but maybe we could take the ground transport back to MCO, then Magical Express to WDW, drop our stuff at the onsite resort we reserve (not sure which yet) and then go straight to MK or AK? I've never been to AK but I'm dying to go! I don't know if my little ones will be interested, though.

How do you think DCL compares to the other cruises you have done? Have you been on the Dream?

I hope I'm not annoying you will all of the questions! I just can't believe I'm actually going on a cruise in a few months!

ETA: Norovirus on the ship?? Omg, I seriously cannot imagine something worse than my kids being struck with a stomach bug while trapped in a tiny room all together. I'm seriously shuddering right now. I am going to think happy thoughts and pretend I never heard that... :P

A paper chain sounds cute! Someone on my last cruise did one...they put cute little Disney sayings on each chain (I'm not sure if they were cruise specific sayings or not).

No problem on all the questions! I love to talk Disney (and cruises!).

AK on disembarkation day is definitely doable. Typically the ship clears by 10:00 a.m. with people beginning to disembark at 7:00ish (as long as there are not hold-ups due to customs clearance). We like to linger and head off just after 9:00 a.m. If you are off early enough, you can actually be over on Disney property by 8:00 or 8:30 a.m. Our last cruise when we headed to WDW afterwards, we were on property around 10:30 a.m. If you are staying onsite, you can book Disney transfers from the ship terminal directly to the resort. You would have to purchase transfers from the port to the airport anyway (cost would depend on what service you use), so the easiest would be DCL's transfers. Even if you do not use DCLs, whatever service used (i.e. towncar company) could possibly take you right to your resort.

One thing to keep in mind, AK does close earlier than the other parks. That would never be a dealbreaker for me, as AK is our favorite park (DH and I are HUGE animal lovers). I'm guessing the kids will like it. The animals are always a hit with kids, and there are a few shows (Nemo, Festival of the Lion King) which are really cool and very colorful (which always goes over with the little ones!). If you decide on MK over AK, then the park closing will most likely not be an issue as the hours should be later than AK. Either way, you will be able to get in a good number of hours at a park after the cruise.

I have only done a Dream ship tour...I'm sure eventually I will sail her. My preference though are the smaller ships (Magic and Wonder). The Dream is gorgeous and does have quite a few neat gadgets and such, but honestly the Magic and Wonder are pretty awesome too! In my opinion, the pool areas alone are better set-up on the Magic and Wonder than on the Dream. And while the buffet set-up is better on the Dream, I still have no problems with the Magic (and Wonder) buffet area. I'm one of the few who prefers the staterooms on the older ships too than on the Dream. Yes, the furniture is more sleek on the Dream, but for some reason I seem to sense a bit more room on the older ships. Honestly, both classes have their own charms and sailing either, you just cannot go wrong!

As for comparisons to other lines, obviously Disney is my cruise line of choice. Having said that, I love Royal Caribbean (the smaller class ships, such as the Sovereign class). Carnival was just 'meh to me. I wasn't impressed with Carnival's decor of their ships...a bit too gaudy for me. Royal Caribbean tends to not be quite as beautiful as Disney (in my opinion), but they have great entertainment and their extras (rock climbing wall, etc.) are top-notch. My mom sailed Holland America last year (to Alaska) and she loved it, but said it didn't quite live up to Disney. (Side note, I had to drag her on DCL a few years ago as she was not sold on it...it is now her favorite line!)

It's hard to compare lines though as far as which one is better. They all have their own reasons for being good, which differ with each person's own tastes. In my opinion Disney outshines everyone in service and in the ship itself (I think Disney ships are by far the most gorgeous ships). Their staterooms cannot be beat either. And when you are talking about the evening stage shows, Disney gets a nod from me for their Broadway style productions (which do not incur an additional fee, unlike some other lines). No one beats the adult pool area, but as far as family pools, I think all the lines are pretty equal on that (except for the Mickey pool!). And of course, Disney does not charge extra for sodas. No other line can say that. (I'm not a soda drinker anymore, but when I was...YIKES!)

Royal Caribbean has great adult entertainment and things going on during sea days (such as video scavenger hunts). Disney is good, but RCI seems to have more options. RCI does have good service on some of its ships (Monarch being the tops!)...when you do find a sailing with good service, then they are on par with Disney.

Carnival is tops as far as food is concerned. Their dinners are always outstanding. The food on DCL is good, but only sometimes exceptional (i.e. Palo, a few occasional entrees in the regular dining rooms, strawberry soup). I can give you a list of my favorites on DCL if you would like.

Oh, you need to have 10 posts in order to send a PM. If you want to wait until then to send your FE info that's fine. Otherwise you can just email it to me at iloverags2@aol.com

May seems so far away!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that you can buy bottled water to be delivered to your stateroom--is bottled water not available onboard for free? I assumed if soda was available that bottled water was available? Is the water on the ship potable?

What about a wine package vs. bringing your own wine onboard? Too annoying to lug wine around?

I am confused about the beds in my room, too--is it a queen bed and a bunk bed? How else would 4 people fit? OK I think I found the answer to this one--It will be a pull down bed--not sure if my almost-4-year-old will be able to sleep up there or not. I'd hate to have to junk up the room with a crib, too!
Told you--I am CLUELESS!

I saw that you can buy bottled water to be delivered to your stateroom--is bottled water not available onboard for free? I assumed if soda was available that bottled water was available? Is the water on the ship potable?

What about a wine package vs. bringing your own wine onboard? Too annoying to lug wine around?

I am confused about the beds in my room, too--is it a queen bed and a bunk bed? How else would 4 people fit? OK I think I found the answer to this one--It will be a pull down bed--not sure if my almost-4-year-old will be able to sleep up there or not. I'd hate to have to junk up the room with a crib, too!
Told you--I am CLUELESS!

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask about the shipboard water as I am a total bottled water snob! :rotfl: Several folks say the water onboard is fine to drink...and it probably is. I would rather carry it on myself anyway. Since this itinerary goes to Key West on the first day, you could consider purchasing bottled water at the CVS just a couple of blocks from the pier once we arrive there. That is what we were going to do last cruise (that was before we upgraded to a suite at the port)...and that is our plan this time around also. Before that, I lugged it onboard in a rolling carry-on suitcase. I have also carried on wine...again, your call. To me it wasn't a big deal to put it in a rolling carry-on...I would have had that either way. I just cannot justify the cost onboard, but that's just me. ;) Typically what I do is have the stateroom attendant bring a few empty glasses, and I pour a glass when I want one, whether I have it in the room or take it somewhere else onboard with me. I don't mind doing that...again, it's something you would have to feel comfortable with doing. I prefer to spend my bucks on the DOTD! (And I always purchase the souvenir glass during the sailaway and use it the remainder of the cruise, as you get a small discount on future DOTD if you use your glass - which is really plastic!) Keep in mind, if you take the bottle of wine with you to dinner (as opposed to pouring a glass and carrying that in), you will be charged a corkage fee.

Yep, that is the answer about the beds! The queen bed on the Magic and Wonder actually can be divided into two twin beds. The couch is a convertible twin, and the fourth is a pull-down berth. The little ones seem to love them! My niece has used the pull-down berths since she was 4.

I'm getting super excited about the cruise...it is way too far away for me!

What shore excursions, if any, do you suggest?

DH and I started making our "countdown to cruise" paper chain last night! I decided to start with a countdown to our trip to the beach in September (only 40 days!). I figured our Big (the 3 y/o) will have the idea of the countdown after counting down to the beach, and then we can start counting down to disney!

How much do you spend onboard on tips and other stuff? I know it is personal, like if you do a bunch of spa services or drink tons of premium liquor, but I'm just trying to budget a reasonable amount for the "extras".

Yeah, I'm pretty excited, I think DH is going to be sick of hearing about the cruise by the time it gets here!

Oh, and if it goes well I TOTALLY want to re-book on board for Hawaii in 2014 (hopefully that will be available?). I'm not sure of the details of how to do that, but I heard there is a pretty good discount. We were married in Hawaii in 2004, so 2014 will be our 10 year anniversary and I would love to go back. Since we have the kiddos (and I'm hoping we have a third by then :hug:) I think doing Hawaii Disney-style will be easier and more fun at this stage in our lives.

Another question: Has disney upgraded the Magic to have the wave phones like on the dream? If our cell phones don't work at sea, that would be a real pain in the backside because inevitably on of us will have to take one child to the room/bathroom/etc. while the other stays at the pool/food/etc. and I'm afraid we will never find each other!

Can you do room service breakfast every morning? We are not people who like to hop out of bed and get going... even the kids take it slow in the a.m.!

PS: can you believe I used to HATE disney? I guess I really drank the kool-aid when we were at WDW last fall...

What is DOTD? I couldn't find a definition anywhere...

Ooooh! The beach countdown chain is a good idea to start off with!

First off with the easy stuff...wave phones are available on the Magic! :cool1: That is a huge plus on the ships!

DOTD stands for Drink of the Day! Cruises have a drink on special every day. :yay:

Breakfast can definitely be ordered each morning, except debarkation day. It is continental only via room service though. (Only exception to this is concierge/suites which can order hot breakfasts off the dining room menu, and also continental on debarkation day.)

I do not believe 2014 will be available to book yet during our cruise (although you never know!). If it's not, book a dummy date to lock in the discount and OBC (or whatever the special is Disney will be offering)...you can then change your dates once 2014 becomes available. I actually did this in 2009 for our 2010 cruise. (I should add there have been rumors about DCL no longer allowing the dummy dates by not allowing discounts to be moved. Not sure what the final word was on that one!)

Excursions - hmmmmm. That really depends on what you want to do. I have often stuck with snorkeling and water sports, and with little ones I am guessing that would be out!

In Key West, we just winged it on our own (I went to school at Univ of Miami and spent quite a bit of time down there...even so, it is a very easy port to get around on your own). If you want to do the trolley, I would suggest booking on your own rather than through DCL. On your own you would be able to get on and off...DCL's version does not allow you to get off at any stops. Key West has a great butterfly farm that your little ones might enjoy. DCL does have an excursion that goes to this. (You can also walk or cab there, just as an FYI.) We love the museums in Key West, especially Mel Fisher's (which is just a couple of blocks from the pier), Truman's Little White House, and Hemingway's House. All of these can be done on your own and are within walking distance, but you would definitely need a stroller for the kids. I believe you can do all three of these via the Trolley Tour if you book it on your own as there should be trolley stops near all three.

Nassau is a bit more difficult as this is where I usually snorkel. We did do a pirate museum and city tour through Royal Caribbean once and liked it. The closest thing Disney has to this is the Nassau Forts and Junkanoo Discovery. It does not stop at the pirate museum, but it does have the stop at Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase which are two of my favorite places in Nassau (you can get to the fort and staircase by foot, but it is a bit of a hike!). If you want to check out the Pirate Museum, you can do that on your own...it is within walking distance of the pier. I'm not a fan of the Atlantis excursion (Atlantis has a huge waterpark within their hotel grounds) as I think you can go to better waterparks in the states for much less money. Having said that, this is a very popular excursion!

Castaway Cay - you definitely do not need an excursion to enjoy it here! We have rented bikes in the past...you can't beat the price of $6/person for an hour! Plus, it's a good way to just get a nice view of the island itself (or at least the accessible areas of the island!). I also love Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure. We didn't even snorkel with this one...our main goal was feeding the rays and just wandering in the shallow water with them. Very cool experience!

Tips and extras - Whew! I just hunted down our final bill from our 7-day Western last year. To be honest, we do not do the spa thing (not our cup of tea). For a 5-night cruise, gratuities will be $60/person to cover dining staff and stateroom host. If you decide to upgrade to a suite, the concierge manager is tipped at your discretion (most people base it on how much the person does for them). I think the typical amount is $25 - $50, although that is really a total guess! When you order drinks a 15% gratuity is automatically added to the bill...you can tip extra at your discretion, but certainly do not have to. Drinks will be anywhere from $5 - $15 on average. (DOTD's are typically a bit less, I believe...although I was using my souvie glass for them, so cannot give a good answer on this...hint souvie glasses hold a bit more than the standard glass.) My dealings with drinks in general were that they were around $3.50 - $8.00 for what I ordered (ranging from wine and champagne to margaritas and rum runners). An $8 drink was something super special; I rarely paid over $4-$6 though for the most part. Since sodas are included with your cruise when you get them at the drink station and at dinner, we didn't have to purchase sodas, which meant I was the only one buying drinks! Our drink total for the cruise came to around $40. (I'm not a big drinker either! LOL And I did carry on a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne too.)

We bought a photo package (word is some of the lower priced ones have to be purchased in advance...not sure about that though) for $89. This gave us 10 credits...8x10 photos are 2 credits, 6x8 photos are 1 credit. And one thing to keep in mind, however they print the photo is the size you are stuck with (if you like an 8x10, you cannot get it in a 6x8).

For souvenirs, we spent about $100 on the ship and at Castaway Cay. This included picking up a few things for friends and family too. We probably spent about $150 in the ports also, but we visited Cozumel and Grand Cayman in lieu of Nassau. To be honest, we typically do not spend alot on photos and souvenirs, but this was our first 7-night cruise and it was a special occasion so we splurged. The norm for us is probably somewhere between $50 - $100 total in both port and on the ship.

I'm thinking you will not be trying Palo since you will have the two little ones with you (although some folks do squeeze this in while the kids are in the clubs or in the nursery). If you do visit, plan on the $20/person charge plus additional tip and anything for drinks. Our Palo total was $50 back when it was $15/person.

That's all I can think of for extras. Oh! We did spend the night before at the Port, and also the night on return at Wilderness Lodge. Keep in mind those extras if you will be staying before/after. ;)

Our total bill on our KTTW cards for the 7-night cruise (which wouldn't include anything purchased in the ports), less our upgrade to the suite, was $664.09. This included:
  • Island Tour in Grand Cayman for 2
  • Castaway Ray's Stingray Adventure at CC for 2
  • 10 credit photo package
  • About $32 in Internet usage charges
  • Gratuities for 2 for 7-nights
  • Drinks
  • Palo
  • Merchandise purchases onboard and at CC

Since we did Key West on our own, I will need to go back and figure out what we spent on the museums there. Need to hunt down those receipts! LOL

Hope this helps! I bought a few things for my FE gifts this weekend. Think I will start working on them soon since I thought 5 months last year was plenty of time. :scared1: It wasn't!

Thanks for the info!
DH has invited my in-laws--not sure if I'm happy (help with the kids) or not (less privacy). I'm not sure if they will actually end up booking or not, but they just asked us for our stateroom number.

For shore excursions we will have to do things that are walkable or available by trolley. We cannot ride in a car because the children need carseats and we won't have any with us (yay, car seats are a pain on vacay!).

I think I'll mostly want to just walk around the ports. Some people mentioned being nervous/afraid in Nassau. I'm not sure if these people were novice travelers or if it is really intimidating. DH and I have traveled some, so people trying to aggressively sell us crap won't scare us (annoying though), but we might feel more insecure with kids in tow.

Netflix has a Disney cruise promo video we just watched. It is at least 10 years old, but it still got us excited.

The drink prices don't sound too bad at all! I figured it would be much worse! Now I need to re-read what you said about the souvie glass. I've never heard of the DOTD (but now I'll be sure to find out what it is each day!!)

When you said $60/person, is the "person" one of the people in my party (ie, there are 4 of us, so $60 x 4= $240 in tips for the entire cruise?) or did you mean each "person" who is providing service for us? (Ie, $60 for the waiter, $60 for the stateroom host, etc.).

You are a crusing pro!

Thanks for the info!
DH has invited my in-laws--not sure if I'm happy (help with the kids) or not (less privacy). I'm not sure if they will actually end up booking or not, but they just asked us for our stateroom number.

For shore excursions we will have to do things that are walkable or available by trolley. We cannot ride in a car because the children need carseats and we won't have any with us (yay, car seats are a pain on vacay!).

I think I'll mostly want to just walk around the ports. Some people mentioned being nervous/afraid in Nassau. I'm not sure if these people were novice travelers or if it is really intimidating. DH and I have traveled some, so people trying to aggressively sell us crap won't scare us (annoying though), but we might feel more insecure with kids in tow.

Netflix has a Disney cruise promo video we just watched. It is at least 10 years old, but it still got us excited.

The drink prices don't sound too bad at all! I figured it would be much worse! Now I need to re-read what you said about the souvie glass. I've never heard of the DOTD (but now I'll be sure to find out what it is each day!!)

When you said $60/person, is the "person" one of the people in my party (ie, there are 4 of us, so $60 x 4= $240 in tips for the entire cruise?) or did you mean each "person" who is providing service for us? (Ie, $60 for the waiter, $60 for the stateroom host, etc.).

You are a crusing pro!

Yikes! The in-laws! Well, look at it on the bright side, and as having the chance for some alone time with DH. We did a family reunion cruise 8 years ago and surprisingly we saw some family members at dinner only! And all the staterooms in the group were on two adjacent decks.

The $60/person total is for each person cruising, so yes it is $240 for the four of you. Since you have an infant, you can adjust their tips accordingly (some people do, some don't...that is totally at your discretion). If you decide to use the nursery, there is an extra charge for that (and I'm guessing folks tip there too).

You will hear that alot about Nassau! I'm in the camp that feels it is perfectly fine to stroll around there as long as you stay near the pier. Growing up Chicago, I always learned to just be aware of my surroundings. It's pretty difficult for me to feel totally unsafe in Nassau as long as I do not venture too far off the beaten path. There is plenty to do near the port (shopping, walking to the fort and staircase, etc.); in addition you can also get passport stamps right near the pier. I can give you directions if you decide to do that. The taxis in Nassau do not require infant seats...but then again, they are not the safest drivers! LOL

Key West will be fairly easy for you to navigate without a car. There is so much to do there within walking distance. Even Southernmost Point is walkable, although a good hike.

I have a spreadsheet put together of activities I think will happen on each day, based on previous cruisers info and Navigator's posted. This includes the DOTD! I am well prepared to know what to look for! Pathetic, isn't it? :rotfl:

You will hear that alot about Nassau! I'm in the camp that feels it is perfectly fine to stroll around there as long as you stay near the pier. Growing up Chicago, I always learned to just be aware of my surroundings. It's pretty difficult for me to feel totally unsafe in Nassau as long as I do not venture too far off the beaten path. There is plenty to do near the port (shopping, walking to the fort and staircase, etc.); in addition you can also get passport stamps right near the pier. I can give you directions if you decide to do that. The taxis in Nassau do not require infant seats...but then again, they are not the safest drivers! LOL

Key West will be fairly easy for you to navigate without a car. There is so much to do there within walking distance. Even Southernmost Point is walkable, although a good hike.

I have a spreadsheet put together of activities I think will happen on each day, based on previous cruisers info and Navigator's posted. This includes the DOTD! I am well prepared to know what to look for! Pathetic, isn't it? :rotfl:

We lived in Evanston, IL for a little while while I pursued a PhD at Northwestern...I ended up leaving to come back to Ky for law school. We lived on the worst street in Evanston (it's all we could afford!) and saw some pretty seedy places up there, so I don't think Nassau will bug us much! I will, however, avoid taxis w/o carseats--I'm a carseat safety nut. I'm nervous about the motor coach from MCO to the Port because there are no seatbelts or ways to attach carseats.

Would you share the spreadsheet?:yay: ameliabrownmccormick at gmail.com

What about staying onboard during a portion of the port day to enjoy a less crowded ship? (NOT on castaway cay day, though!! Can't wait for that one, and it is going to be my baby's birthday!! :cool1:)

Benefit to my in-laws coming: More time with DH, we get along, and maybe they will split the cost of a CC cabana with me! :banana:

Thanks for the comment on adding to the family...we had already decided to start, ahem, pursuing that around May 2012...so maybe we will come home with a special souvenier? :littleangel: You can't sail if you are more than 24 weeks pregnant, so it can't happen too soon or I wouldn't be able to go!! lol! Planning a family around a cruise date, of course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter