ºoº Rental "Scooter" strength loss or power weakness requiring recharging at WDW.

ABC Commissary has plugs on the walls around the tables. I can't say specifically where, but I know they do because we charged a camcorder there once. Make sure you get a reputable outfit to rent from and as was said, they will come right out and usually bring you a new scooter if yours dies. They should last though as was said a full day's worth (and more).

Thank you everyone for all of your experiences and suggestions.

I guess as technology has increased, the battery life has improved alot. I'm used to using the Walt Disney World ECV's and several times their ECV's do run out of power. But a Castmember would always bring another ECV when another battery went dead.

I thought that if I rented a scooter from an outside vendor, and the battery went dead, then I would be stuck for a long time without a replacement unless it had a recharger build into the scooter. That is why I was wondering about electrical outlet sites at the parks.

After reading several threads and researching on the internet, some scooters will last 10, 15, or even 30 miles between charges.

This was a big surprise to me, so I guess I shouldn't worry about charging the batteries during the day.

Well, I received some information from most of the scooter rental companies. I have not decided which company that I want to use yet, but here are three that I am thinking about.

Some charge per day, some charge weekly, some can charge per day or week, and one just charges per week. Scooter.com was going to charge two weeks for one week and one day usage. No daily charge.

Most have pictures of the different scooters that they rent. Some list the brand name of the scooter, while others also add the specific model so that an internet search could be performed.

Most rent a Standard scooter and a heavy duty scooter based on renter's weight and the strength of the battery or motor, and the size of the chair, etc.

(1.) Randy's Mobility. They list three types of scooters called Pride Amigo, Pacesaver, and Bruno. The charge is:
$175.00 per week for a standard scooter with renters weighing less than 300 pounds.
$200.00 per week for a heavy duty scooter with renters weighing 301 to 450 pounds.
$?? per day charge you have to call. If I choose this one, I'll call and post it.

(2.) Scootarama. They list two type of scooters called Pride Revo, and Pride Maxima. The charge is:
$25.00 per day or $175.00 per week for the standard Pride Revo scooter that can last 20-miles and for renters weighing less than 300 pounds.
$40.00 per day or $280.00.00 per week for the heavy duty Pride Maxima scooter that can last "30"-miles and for renters weighing between 301 to 450 pounds.
$?? No weekly charge. I just calculated the price for a week.

(3.) Walker Medical & Mobility Products. They don't list the brand names of their scooters. The charge is:
$25.00 per day or $175.00 per week for the standard scooter and for renters weighing less than 300 pounds.
$40.00 per day or $280.00.00 per week for the heavy duty scooter and for renters weighing between 301 to 450 pounds.
$?? No weekly charge. I just calculated the price for a week.

Randy's Mobility responded to my email request first and they charge less per week for the heavy duty scooter.

Scootarama has the highest rated and newer Pride Maxima scooters, but they charge more per week that Randy's Mobility.

Most people on the DIS seem to use the Walker Medical & Mobility Products company, but they charge the same as Scootarama, and I can't figure out what scooter brand that they use.

I'm going to try and do a search again for the different brands of scooters, and then I'll list the links here to compare each scooters specifications for milage, chair size, etc..

If any of you know the brand name and model of the scooters that you rent from whatever company, could you please let me know here and I'll post it.

We had a trip where hubby's scooter would barely last the day and were hunting for charging spots quite often. (We have since replaced the batteries, and it does fine now.)

There is an outlet in the outside seating area at Earl of Sandwich.

There are outlets near the restrooms in the area where the old Pasta Piazza used to be in Epcot. (I think it is a character greeting area now).

We have used the outlets in the ABC commissary a few times, also the one near the World Traders Store at the international gateway.

At Ft. Wilderness, there are a few outlets in the golf cart parking areas near the boat dock, near Trails End, and near the Check In Building.

Outlets in the middle of the floor, under hinged covers, in various buildings, example: Electric Umbrella restaurant at Epcot. Some covers are secured by a screw that needs a quarter turn to release.

If your plug has the cord coming out at an angle or is part of a cube or box (wall wart), bring one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters to use as a prong extender since sometimes the outlet is recessed so the angle plug by itself won't fit.

Do not jump start cars with your power wheelchair or scooter. Often the battery (notably gel batteries) is not designed for that and can be damaged. At any rate you suck out lots of power.

Hello Everyone :wave2:

I'm worried about recharging
Hubby renting EVC for the first time
was told that the battery will last
6 hours and to bring charger.
I have no idea how many miles
that equals,
any idea ?

Hi @tea pot!

How long a battery lasts can be affected by a LOT of factors. Those can include (but are not limited to)

- What is the age of the battery, and the number of "charge cycles" it has gone through?
- Was the battery fully charged when starting the day?
- The total weight load of the ECV (so, ECV + rider + any accessories/bags/shopping, etc. on board)
- Ambient temperature
- Hills, slopes, ramps, inclines and curb cuts
- If the rider practices "good battery hygiene" (turning off the scooter (+ any built-in lights) whenever they are stopped for more than a minute - like watching a parade, eating a meal or snack, sitting in a line, riding the bus, etc.)

Since I see you are familiar with one of *my* favorite Resorts (Can I just *live* at Wilderness Lodge?) think about it like this: Every time you go DOWN the ramp from the Lobby to Roaring Forks, you can "coast" - the ECV doesn't have to work quite as hard because it only has to engage the clutch to act like a brake as you make your way down.

When you go back UP that ramp... Now the ECV has to draw a lot of electricity from the battery to pull (or push, depending on which wheel(s) get power) that ECV + the rider + anything else on board back up those honkin' big ramps! I swear I hear my personal ECV let out a sigh of relief at the top of the ramps every time! LOL

Same idea when you go DOWN to the buses from the Lobby at WL - and back UP again at the end of the day.

Here's what you have to look at with that "6 hours" that you were quoted:

- First of all, most vendors will understate the amount of time you can expect from the battery. That way, if the battery runs longer, you are pleasantly surprised.
- Typically, that number (in this case 6 hours) is what's called "run time". That refers to the actual time that the ECV is turned on and in motion, and "stand by time" is anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 times the actual time it is turned on, but not being used. So, let's say you start the morning at WL. You drive a total of 12 minutes from your room to breakfast at Roaring Fork, and then out the Lobby and down to the bus. You turn off the ECV while you are eating, and again while you are waiting for the bus. The bus comes, you drive the ECV on, turn it off again, and go to MK. When you get to MK, let's say that it takes 20 minutes to get off the bus, through security, and to Starbucks on Main Street, where you sit in line to order your coffee. So far, your total run time on that battery is 32 minutes - but if you started at 8:00 am, it took 6 minutes to get to RF, another 3 minutes to order food, breakfast took 30 minutes, 3 minutes up the ramp, across the Lobby and down to the buses, wait for the bus for 15 minutes, 10 minutes to load the bus and drive to MK, and another 20 at MK to unload the bus, get through Security, scan your Magic Band, and make your way to Starbucks. It's almost 9:30 am, but you only have 32 minutes of run time on the battery so far - because much of the last hour and a half was spent eating, waiting on the bus, sitting on the bus, etc., and like a good little ECV driver, you made sure the ECV what turned off when it was just sitting in one spot!
- 6 hours is an *average* number - based on a rider of an *average* size, on *average* terrain. That's why all of those factors I listed up there matter. Let's say that the ECV's manufacturer rated that battery at 6 hours when it is new, fully charged, with a 150 pound person on it (and no other items, like heavy purses or bags, or shopping bags, etc.) and moving over level, flat ground.

You can certainly take along the battery charger that you are supplied with, but you may find that you can make a whole day and not need to use it! The biggest, most important thing you can do is to make sure you charge the ECV battery EVERY NIGHT TO 100%.

Yes, there is a very small percentage of people who have had battery issues with rental ECVs. But if you look at the overall number of ECV rentals in Orlando in a given week/month/year, the number of people who have battery problems is quite small compared to the number of rentals total. And quite frankly, there is always going to be a certain number of people who forget to charge the ECV, or who forget to turn it off once they turn it on in the morning, or who try to haul around everyones purses, water bottles and shopping. Or they try to save money by renting a standard size scooter, when they should be on a heavy-duty unit for larger folks.

If you need to charge up the battery while you are in the Parks or at Disney Springs, simply ask a Cast Member to help you find a nearby outlet.

Have a great trip!

Animal Kingdom-there's a plug outside the door at the exit to "Finding Nemo", the area where you park your scooter if you're going to see the show, and "transferring" from your scooter. We met one guy who said that he recharges his scooter during the show.

Mamabunny
Thank you so much :love:
Your response is so helpful. You answered questions
I didn't even know I had.
I didn't think of running time verses time in the park time and
would of never thought of the ramps as a possible problem
they are all very steep esp the ones going up and down from the monorail
As much as I love our beloved Lodge this time we will be staying at the Bay Lake Tower
mostly because we can walk and take the ECV directly over to MK
It's our first trip with our first grandchild and will be spending most of our time in that park.
I so appreciate your input.

Simba's Mom We love the Nemo show what a great tip!:thumbsup2

Thanks again
I'll be looking for outlets everywhere and
will let you know how we did when we return :wizard:

Mom rented from Scooterbug and had a problem scooter this last trip that had to be replaced. We charged later one evening on the "porch" at Crystal Palace (Christmas party night and porch was empty) and also at Pecos Bills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter