‘Flordia Special’ 1 bedroom villas at Bay Lake Tower

WDWkristin

Earning My Ears
We are hoping to get a standard view 1 bedroom villa at BLT. I noticed that they do not have roll-in shower rooms in this category. We can make do with a portable shower chair and a handheld shower head. Does anyone know if these rooms have handhelds? Can Disney change the shower head by request?

I'm not specifically familiar with BLT rooms, but "Florida Special" typically has grab bars near the toilet but NOT in the shower. It may be possible to get a shower head changed, as well if a shower chair is available the resort can provide one. Both would be based on availability. You might want to bring your own shower chair or rent one; I've heard the ones at the resort may not be in the best condition.

I would not count on being able to have the showerhead changed, it may be possible but if it is a must, then I would not chance it. There are 2 bathrooms in the 1BR's. There is a tub in the bathroom off the entry way and that has a regular wall shower head. In the bathroom off the master, with the walk in shower, you cannot put in a hand held due to the strange shower head on the wall (it is a square mounted almost flush to the wall). There is an overhead rain shower, though (check YouTube for a room tour). There is also a small built in shower bench in that bathroom, it is not a large shower, may not be enough room for a portable shower chair.

I was wondering about bringing my own hand held shower attachment. I won’t know until one week before our trip. Broken dominate arm and fractured shoulder-2 places in a brace strapped around my chest that can’t get wet. Hoping it comes off prior, but the healing is slower than expected. It will be handheld vs washing by sink and no washing hair for a week. Right now I paid my hair stylist to wash my hair once a week at home. Of course no baths because I can’t get out with one arm. I will be at week 8 when we leave. I thought things would be better, my PT starts this week For arm, but not shoulder. I’m a terrible lefty. ugh.

I suggest not undertaking replacing showerheads.
I actually was going to contact the professional repair person on duty at the resort to do it. Though my husband is a contractor and could do it. I also wondered about the showers in the gym too. I will call the resort or MS when I know for sure.

If you have access to a tub, I'd recommend using a shower chair and getting a HH shower head that attaches at the faucet (it just slips over the spout). When I was a practicing OT, the below shower head is what we often reccomended for our patients who didn't want/couldn't modify to a hand-held shower head. I also had shoulder surgery a few years ago on my dominant side so understand how difficult showering is. I found that by sitting and leaning forward I could wash my hair using both hands without moving my shoulder (of course, I could flex at the elbow). What rotten timing to have a significant injury coincide with your trip. Good luck!

ref=asc_df_B08FSYLF68

I was wondering about bringing my own hand held shower attachment. I won’t know until one week before our trip. Broken dominate arm and fractured shoulder-2 places in a brace strapped around my chest that can’t get wet. Hoping it comes off prior, but the healing is slower than expected. It will be handheld vs washing by sink and no washing hair for a week. Right now I paid my hair stylist to wash my hair once a week at home. Of course no baths because I can’t get out with one arm. I will be at week 8 when we leave. I thought things would be better, my PT starts this week For arm, but not shoulder. I’m a terrible lefty. ugh.

Oh hey - I’m so sorry. I broke my upper arm/shoulder on my dominate (right hand) side. I’ve also had to have surgery on my dominate hand in the last year, and it’s tough to not use that side.

Couple of things I learned: First, if your hair is long enough, have it washed, then “French braided” to help keep it tidy and clean(er). Johnson’s makes some large “head to toe” cleansing wipes that are great for this kind of situation. And last but not least, remember that dictation on your personal devices (like phone, tablet & computer) is a sanity saver; I got to be *really* good at dictating before it was all over!

Most of the time, the kind of shower attachment that would help you is not going to work at a hotel; often the kind that has a rubber fixture to go over the tub spout will pop off with any amount of water pressure, and most other kinds will require some light-to-medium duty plumbing that I’m pretty sure Disney would frown on. They most likely will not allow a maintenance or engineering CM to replace a shower head in a “standard” non-Handicap Accessible room.

I would recommend you call Disney and explain what happened, and ask if they can help you change your reservation to a roll-in shower room. That will give you a room with a bathroom that has a shower you can walk into, and that will have a shower bench to sit on. There will already be a hand-held shower attachment to use.

That way you don’t have to drag plumbing supplies to Disney, and you have a safer way to bathe while on vacation.

Last but not least: 3 things to know about using a roll-in shower at Disney:
1. Remember that the water is “softened” at Disney, so a little soap or shampoo goes a loooong way.
2. Put towels down on the floor in the shower, and outside the shower for safety - you don’t want to slip! A wet towel will stay in place on the shower floor. I wouldn’t try to dance around in the shower, but it does make it much less slippery. The towel outside is to help dry off your feet after the shower, and keep the water contained to the bathroom.
3. If you are not comfortable with the built-in shower bench that comes with the roll-in shower, you can call Housekeeping on the phone, and ask them to please bring a shower bench to your room. Personally, I do not like the mesh shower benches at all, and I much prefer the solid surface benches. Some Disney hotels still have the solid benches, while others have the mesh seat. Just make sure you can sit down and get up easily *before* you start the whole showering process!

Good luck - I hope you heal swiftly and completely! 🙂

Thanks. Most of this I’m doing. Short hair, lots of hats. Baby wipes help too. I do plan to call as soon as I see the doctor the week before. I will be at week 8 so it could happen. I purchased a rubber shower mat for the trip. Good to read your message and know you understand first hand. We are on a cruise right after my 4 nights at bcv with family. Hand held shower on ship. No excursions and not sure about castaway. But the family is looking forward to it. No more pain meds. Can’t use shoulder at all and long PT starts tomorrow. Still curious about the shower in the gym too.

Last edited:
No idea of cost, but when DH was in the hospital, they had these huge wipes that came 10 to a pack, that they put in the microwave. So you had a warm "bath". I tried looking on amazon , but I don't see them. But lots like Mamabunny mentioned.

Hope you heal quickly .

Thanks. Most of this I’m doing. Short hair, lots of hats. Baby wipes help too. I do plan to call as soon as I see the doctor the week before. I will be at week 8 so it could happen. I purchased a rubber shower mat for the trip. Good to read your message and know you understand first hand. We are on a cruise right after my 4 nights at bcv with family. Hand held shower on ship. No excursions and not sure about castaway. But the family is looking forward to it. No more pain meds. Can’t use shoulder at all and long PT starts tomorrow. Still curious about the shower in the gym too.
TJMaxx and Marshall’s sometimes have the dry shampoo in a spray can—Baptiste is the brand. People watching on a vacay can be entertaining. Hope you enjoy your trip despite your limitations.

If you have access to a tub, I'd recommend using a shower chair and getting a HH shower head that attaches at the faucet (it just slips over the spout). When I was a practicing OT, the below shower head is what we often reccomended for our patients who didn't want/couldn't modify to a hand-held shower head. I also had shoulder surgery a few years ago on my dominant side so understand how difficult showering is. I found that by sitting and leaning forward I could wash my hair using both hands without moving my shoulder (of course, I could flex at the elbow). What rotten timing to have a significant injury coincide with your trip. Good luck!

ref=asc_df_B08FSYLF68
You are right that the hand held attachment to a tub faucet does not work! I brought one to use at Vero Beach and it was useless.
I have been pleased that DVC renovations have hand held shower heads in one bedrooms so with a chair I can shower in non HA one bedrooms.

No idea of cost, but when DH was in the hospital, they had these huge wipes that came 10 to a pack, that they put in the microwave. So you had a warm "bath". I tried looking on amazon , but I don't see them. But lots like Mamabunny mentioned.

Hope you heal quickly .

They do sell them on Amazon - look for 'Comfort Bath' or 'Sage Wipes'. They are what my hospital system uses. I tried to post an Amazon link, but it went to some kind of Super Offer page.
One hint to using them - give each wipe a little squeeze to get some lather. That helps to spread the product in a thin film when applying.
We always have some on hand for our daughter. Sometimes it's just not possible to give her a shower, even with roll in shower. We've also bought them at Walmart.

Another thing hospitals use is putting 6-8 washcloths in a thick bag with a water and a little no-rinse bath wash wash. You can find that at Amazon too

TJMaxx and Marshall’s sometimes have the dry shampoo in a spray can—Baptiste is the brand. People watching on a vacay can be entertaining. Hope you enjoy your trip despite your limitations.
Amazon sells dry shampoo - that's where we used to get it. Recently Target started selling a variety of brands of dry shampoo, including Batiste (the correct spelling). it's less expensive at Target

The smell of that brand is very strong. The brand called, "A Perfect Hair Day" also has the same problem, IMO. (as do a few other brands we've tried.)

IMO, a better product is unscented Acure brand dry powder dry shampoo. It is also great for travel because it is completely dry. It looks baby powder. On the other hand, the Acure brand is mostly corn starch. I refilled our bottle with regular corn starch, which costs next to nothing, and that works very well. It is a little like baby powder though if it lands on fabric. You need to brush it through if you don't want the powdered wig look, but it is easy to brush it into your hair. To use, sprinkle a little on your hand, rub it in, then brush/comb through. It works very well and is a big timesaver over wet shampooing every day that anyone can use.

I haven’t tried this personally (I no longer need dry shampoo as I have wavy hair and can about a week between shampoos) but I have seen it recommended and compared to other similar products, much less expensive.

The Disney website lists Florida Special Accessibility rooms as having toilet grab bars, an open bed frame and lower toilet height. Portable raised toilet seat is listed as available on request.
I'd suggest contacting Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.
They have been helpful to us in the past, even taking photos of rooms for us. They should be able to answer the question about handheld showerhead

The Disney website lists Florida Special Accessibility rooms as having toilet grab bars, an open bed frame and lower toilet height. Portable raised toilet seat is listed as available on request.
I'd suggest contacting Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.
They have been helpful to us in the past, even taking photos of rooms for us. They should be able to answer the question about handheld showerhead
It does strike me as odd/dumb that WDW doesn't post CLEAR photos of the bathroom features. One good photo would clear up most questions.

It would also be great if this forum had a sticky thread explaining the term "Florida Special" with photos of the bathrooms at various resorts, and nothing more. I tried to look at the thread about rooms sizes and it was too much of a jumble.

The Club Level thread starts with photos of each lounge. A similarly organized thread that starts with photos of handicapped hotel restrooms would be helpful. It doesn't have to be every resort, but an example photo for each the 4 resort categories: value, deluxe, DVC, and moderate would be very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter