“When everyone is super, no one will be.” ...Welcome to Genie+

mommycrawford

DIS Veteran
...Is it just me, or does the promotional rhetoric from the creators of Genie+, aka price gouging, ring preposterous? Allows guests new ways to enjoy their vacation? It feels like trackers in "The Hunger Games," that want you to be more engaged with your phone (less with family and friends) and steer you where they want you to go.

Fastpass plus and My Disney Experience offered everything this is said to promise, without additional fees. If you did not want to partake, you didn't have to. Other than mobile ordering streamlined (which has allowed venues to keep up with demand and have fewer contact points during a pandemic,) there really isn't anything amazing added. I wish we would all take the position of Syndrome, and realise that “When everyone is super, no one will be.” I believe we are intelligent beings capable of making vacation decisions, and paying to jump the queue is jumping the queue all the same....And isn't that something that you used to get ejected from the park for?

I wish no one would partake, so this would fizzle out, but I am sure there are those who are excited at the prospect, and Disney is literally banking on it!

Just my 2c

...Is it just me, or does the promotional rhetoric from the creators of Genie+, aka price gouging, ring preposterous? Allows guests new ways to enjoy their vacation? It feels like trackers in "The Hunger Games," that want you to be more engaged with your phone (less with family and friends) and steer you where they want you to go.

Fastpass plus and My Disney Experience offered everything this is said to promise, without additional fees. If you did not want to partake, you didn't have to. Other than mobile ordering streamlined (which has allowed venues to keep up with demand and have fewer contact points during a pandemic,) there really isn't anything amazing added. I wish we would all take the position of Syndrome, and realise that “When everyone is super, no one will be.” I believe we are intelligent beings capable of making vacation decisions, and paying to jump the queue is jumping the queue all the same....And isn't that something that you used to get ejected from the park for?

I wish no one would partake, so this would fizzle out, but I am sure there are those who are excited at the prospect, and Disney is literally banking on it!

Just my 2c
Disney press release suggests you can now be spontaneous…..

by following Disney’s suggestions for where you should go next….

My read of the new program(s) means you enter the Parks with just a bit more ride certainty than the planned chaos of this past summer.

But your Syndrome reference also seems apropos.

Or, as I mentioned in another Thread - Disney has become the proponent of the PT Barnum mantra, “A sucker is born every minute.”

Disney press release suggests you can now be spontaneous…..

by following Disney’s suggestions for where you should go next….

My read of the new program(s) means you enter the Parks with just a bit more ride certainty than the planned chaos of this past summer.

But your Syndrome reference also seems apropos.

Or, as I mentioned in another Thread - Disney has become the proponent of the PT Barnum mantra, “A sucker is born every minute.”

Nice to hear your take...I think paper Fastpasses really were the most spontaneous! Wander around, grab one, wander around until your ride time. Waking up to make selections at 7 as a perk of staying on property (so getting up way before that to be ready) ; um, er,...hardly spontaneous. Isn't this vacation? I also would like to look at my child on vacation instead of my phone.

Nice to hear your take...I think paper Fastpasses really were the most spontaneous! Wander around, grab one, wander around until your ride time. Waking up to make selections at 7 as a perk of staying on property (so getting up way before that to be ready) ; um, er,...hardly spontaneous. Isn't this vacation? I also would like to look at my child on vacation instead of my phone.
Paper FP encouraged rope drop commando hoarding.

Also, there was uncertainty with return times (if they were enforced).

Scheduling FP+ allowed for a degree of certainty and the ability to be spontaneous around those scheduled times.

And while I require little sleep, the new need to arise every morning to obtain some degree of certainty stops making a vacation a vacation. Rise of the Resistance is absurd; now the absurdity is part of every morning for every Park.

venturing two guesses:
1.) more folks awake @ 7am increases rope drop crowds and/or folks willing to eat an expensive breakfast, and
2.) less alcohol & expensive dinner sales because the adults need to be up before 7am.

Only benefit might be enough discouragement that both standby & FP (now lightning) lines might actually get shorter….for people willing to pay in either time or dollars, respectively

Thanfulky, I can afford to pay for ‘privilege’, but the new daily requirements are likely my breaking-point.

I cannot imagine spending for an expensive vacation and not knowing if I can enjoy a fruitful day in the Parks I have already preselected because I hit the snooze button.

We all pay financially, but those seeming to lose the most are local Annual Passholders and families already extending their budgets. Result could very well be fewer sales for daily admissions (fewer people), with ‘lost’ revenue captured through the new revenue stream.

Seems as if Disney believes not enough high-rolling vacationers will stop buying tickets. I’m not convinced for my family. Shorter stays at Disney and add-on budget days at Universal are increasingly appealing - because the math for time, not the money, has become ridiculous.

Last edited:
Basically, this was setup to solve the problem of all of the people complaining about having to plan. So now you get to pay but less planning before the trip. Day of planning remains to be seen. I don't mind too much either way. I would pay for Genie+. We paid for Maxpass for every day of our Disneyland trips and enjoyed it. I didn't mind the previous planning involved at WDW either. Give me the rules, and if they are worth the results, then I will do it. We usually do rope drop and are always up by 7am on Disney vacations, so it's a moot point for us. $15/day definitely doesn't = super. Super will come later probably.

This basically ties you to your phone all day unless you just want to resign yourself to standby all day. So now instead of the stress of planning a month in advance, you can spend your whole vacation itself stressed about trying to see what you can ride. This may have ended Disney for me other than some sporadic trips. Now you can’t plan even if you want to …

This basically ties you to your phone all day unless you just want to resign yourself to standby all day. So now instead of the stress of planning a month in advance, you can spend your whole vacation itself stressed about trying to see what you can ride. This may have ended Disney for me other than some sporadic trips. Now you can’t plan even if you want to …
I think they’re counting on the double-whammy of confusion and crying kids to force people to just pay whatever they need to get on Aladdin’s Magic Carpets.

I agree, I am so over the cell phone to do everything.

^^ Me too, part of the reason to go on vacation is to relax, be spontaneous, enjoy yourself and not have your nose constantly stuck in your phone. I can just see hoards of people walking into to each other since they are too absorbed in their phone. My life doesn't revolve around my cell phone and clearly won't be during any vacation we take.

And I think paper fastpasses were the worst. It was hard enough racing all over the park when I was in my 30s & 40s to get them. There’s no way I could be doing it now in my mid 60s. And it was no fun at all trying to get a paper fastpass for Radiator Springs in California Adventure. You had to get in line well before park open to run with the bulls to the FP machines, wait up to 20 minutes to get your fastpass which by then was for late afternoon or evening. Then try to hightail it to another ride before lines built.

I was all in on FP+. I liked planning ahead & understood how to use the system. Personally, I think all the people raving about DL’s Maxpass & wanting it for WDW own this change. You gave them the idea, lol.

I don't like it, and don't think we will do it. Don't want to get up by 7am every day to book something. Don't want to be obligated to the reservation because I paid. Don't want to purchase for a family of 5 each day. etc. We'll see how it goes, but doesn't inspire me to be planning multiple trips a year, or even once a year.

They might want more of those trip of a lifetimers but it's repeat customers that keep a business going.

When I was just a kid, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Walt Disney wanted to make parks that all could enjoy. If you can get yourself there, you could do the vacation on almost any budget.

You could go to a high end meal, or a Broadway style show. You could also buy a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter in the gift shop and bring PB&J sandwiches into the park. Most people do not realize that today you can still bring a cooler into WDW with your lunch and/or dinner. Today there are size restrictions on the size of a cooler, but you can absolutely bring your own food and drinks.

That first trip back in the late 70s we drove in the family station wagon from Long Island to Disney. A two day trip, remember the speed limit was 55 back then. We borrowed my “rich” uncle’s battery powered TV, and I duct taped a set of rabbit ears on the roof top carrier. The only time we had a clear picture was when I had hooked up our Atari to the TV, and powered it with a 9 volt battery. But my sisters and my mother did get to watch General Hospital, well at least part of it. Our first ride was the 20,000 leagues under the sea ride. It had a 40 minute wait, and I did not want to wait that long. I got yelled at, which is why I remember it so well.

That trip down memory lane was to make us think about where we all came from. Today, everyone seems to need immediate gratification. Let’s face it, when waiting in line, most people appear to be on their phones, playing a game or watching something. Everyone needs to be engaged it seems 24x7.

We know Disney had already become the vacation where you need to have a degree in project planning to maximize your experience. Sadly, this also means people are mostly jumping from ride to ride, show to show. Nobody is noticing, never mid questioning whey the shutters are crooked Liberty Square. How many people have really noticed the complete absence of restrooms there as well. Nobody is walking up and getting a table at a restaurant unless you made a reservation six months in advance.

You can’t even walk up and order a burger somewhere, you need to place a mobile order on an app. Better do it well in advance. And do not decide that Magic Kingdom is just too busy and cancel your dining reservation and head to EPCOT instead. You will be changed for that cancelled reservation.

Many of these things have changed slowly over time.

The paper fast pass was the first great equalizer. No matter who you were, you could use the free fastpass service. It worked well. Like all systems it had its issues (if a ride was closed). But everyone could participate.

Now it seems Disney has come up with another money grab. I get it, they are a company, and companies are around to make money. I get it, I understand it, hell as a Disney stockholder, I agree with it. But, it seems that not just the ultrarich paying for a VIP guide will suffice Disney. Now they want EVERYONE to pay an upcharge. And If everyone is paying that upcharge, doesn’t that mean we are all waiting on the same long line again. Just if you do not pay, you will never ride that ride.

But, every one of these changes seems to eliminate just a little bit more of that magic. As I reach the next stage of my life, with my daughter informing me this week that I am about to become a grandfather, I wonder what my grandchild’s adventure will be. Will they go to Disney? Will they love it the way we do. Will they be able to afford it?

I guess only time will tell…

My favorite part of this is the "I don't want to wake up at 7AM" to book the first Genie+ offering (Only at WDW BTW) when people were getting up at 7AM to book their fast passes 60 days out.... I WONDER WHERE THEY GOT THE IDEA PEOPLE WERE WILLING TO DO THAT. BTW, if people opt in to "phase 2" and pay to skip the virtual ques or schedule the big ticket rides, that's only going to incentivize them to build new attractions more often that will in turn also offer a standby que for people simply willing to wait. MaxPass at Land was amazing, IMO, this is a version of that albeit at a higher cost, but it's also been two years since that was offered.

I think many people here look at the cost and add it up over multiple trips a year and think it is gouging. That's fair, but most people don't go multiple times a year and do need suggestions because they are not as in tune as many people here are. How many times have you seen people walk up to a dining place and realize they needed a reservation or someone's kids are turned away because their parents didn't book a fast pass for FOP two months before they got there. We can handle that stuff but I can bet that's not a "magical" experience for them and doesn't really entice a lot of return bookings.

People want the parks less crowded and shorter wait times. They either make things more expensive or they hold a random lottery to see who gets to go when they want to go. It's pretty simple. Considering how people hate the virtual que because they don't get in every time the first time they try, I don't think a lottery for admittance or park reservations alone becoming available at X time would be all that popular.

Their goal is not to get people excited about the announcements or videos that describe the new product when it comes available, it's to increase enjoyment and perceived value WHILE ACTUALLY ON VACATION.

I think I am in the minority here as I am excited about this development. I have used the max pass at Disneyland and I really like the option. As far as the 7:00 am time, really right now to do any decent rides you have to rope drop the parks, which usually requires getting up even earlier. Yes, I have been going to Disney for years and I miss the days when you could ride Space Mountain twice in a row. BUT wake up folks, the world is so much more populated, and the demand is exceeding the supply. Disney has to do something to manage crowds, and it only makes sense to charge more and limit in essence the number of times folks can ride the rides. Think of all the local annual pass holders who like to come to the parks for the atmosphere. They might ride some of the headliners if it is free, but they are probably not going to pay so this will cut down on waits for everyone. I think everyone should give it a chance and see how it works. I know it will add expense, but it is probably worth it to have a better experience. If you can actually ride what you want, you can probably cut down on your actual park days and enjoy you resort and try some new vacation experiences.

This basically forces everyone to wake up at 6am every day in order to try and get a single FP each and every day. This will do nothing but create crazy crowds early in the morning and make the vacation far more stressful. It's nuts. How do I know this will happen, I was at WDW in April and every HS day, I was up at 6:45 am on those days along with everyone else who had a park pass reservation trying to get RotR and all of those people had nothing else to do besides flood the park at 9:00am for rope drop. The rest of the parks were not even close to being as crowded in the mornings for rope drop.
FP on the other hand allowed people to relax and arrive for their ride reservations at any time they had them in advance. Basically all Disney did was eliminate the 3 reservations and just started with the one at a time lotto you could get already after you completed your first 3 reserved FPs. Ha And just for good measure, you need to get up at 6:00 am and pay Disney for the rides you get.
This is basically, FP for Dummies! This had to be done by one of these people who believes in equity, which always just makes everyone equally miserable.

$15 pp/day extra will be a hit to larger groups trying to do a trip on a dime.

we lived maxpass at DL. It was a bit of a change in mindset for me to get the hang of it at first

File it under: Where there’s a will, there is a way

Appears at WDW u can partake just a day or two each visit. I can see us doing this when just he & me. fortunate to visit often & at times we’re only in parks for a few hours/half days. we have APs and enjoy the resorts & other things in the area. Realize not the same for the occasional visitor

Believe people may adjust by lopping a day off their visit or just cut back somewhere else (TS, tours, souvenirs) to fit their budget

My favorite part of this is the "I don't want to wake up at 7AM" to book the first Genie+ offering (Only at WDW BTW) when people were getting up at 7AM to book their fast passes 60 days out..
Here's the thing, I'm on vacation when I'm at Disney. 60 days ahead I'm not on vacation, and 60 days ahead, I could book fast passes for my whole trip. I always got what I wanted, sometimes the newest headliner had to be towards the end of the trip. By the way I am an early riser, but having to do this every morning while on vacation, just not my idea of fun.

Basically, this was setup to solve the problem of all of the people complaining about having to plan.
Don't be mislead, this wasn't set up to solve any of "our" problems. This is to solve the problem of the parks being closed and low capacity in the last 18 months, and to get the executive bonuses back up to speed. You will still have to plan, but now you'll have to do it at 7 am - every day of your vacation.

This basically ties you to your phone all day unless you just want to resign yourself to standby all day.
Yup this is what I hate. Not only do I not want to be tied to my phone all day, but I have to find a shady spot so I can actually see what's on the screen.

I have a December trip booked, I won't be using G+. If this makes it impossible for me to enjoy the experiences, then I'll need to reevaluate my future vacations. I'll wait and see how it looks. Sorry to sound so cynical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter