“Would You Like an Adventure Now?" A July PTR *Updated 8/1

Originally had hoped for 2022 but with the crazy prices it’s more likely to be 2024. Hopefully the men in my life and I will get a summer trip before then

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys! You can always tag along with us this summer. :rotfl:

We're doing well, suffering through the second time Covid has hit our house now, but thankfully 2 of the kids still haven't had it and we will all be free from quarantine by Thursday. Our Landon is not a teenager yet. He'll be 12 next month. Although the middle one already seems to think she is one.

Two times? Ouch, that's terrible! Hope you guys all start to feeling better soon, and hopefully if taste and smell went that it comes back quick.

Twelve! Holy moly. Pretty sure he was still in diapers when I started reading your reports. :sad:
I have no doubt your DD keeps you on your toes. I've discovered I'm ill-equipped to raise a daughter and she's only six. :laughing:

The When:

Once upon a time, Alex and I were walking through a quiet Epcot, pushing a stroller with a sleeping toddler and soaking up the glorious day. It was early May. Our third time visiting the parks in late spring.

Personally, my absolute favorite time to vacation.

On that day, we had our bottles of water and our sunscreen. It was okay. You know why?

Because it was May.

That was also the last time Alex and I were able to enjoy that wonderful time of year with the Flower and Garden Festival and reasonable temperatures and moderate crowds.

You know why?

Kids.

That’s why.

:sad2: :rotfl:

That sleeping little boy in the stroller grew up and became a big brother and now his parents are at the mercy of a school schedule.

Alex and I are right smack dab in the middle of the season of our lives where we have three options for visiting Disney: Spring Break, Christmas, and Summer.

I was actually trying to make Spring Break work for this trip. The kids have the Friday before off and their break is over the runDisney Springtime Surprise weekend, but unfortunately plane ticket prices were astronomical. Like, 7,000 dollars for economy, high.

Christmas is Alex’s favorite time of year in WDW, but the military tickets are blacked out during that time, and again…we just couldn’t swing the prices.

Which left summer.

Oh, summer.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the season. It’s actually my favorite.

But the big question about whether or not to go during that time was: do we waste our last summer in the U.K. by going back stateside?

For those of you do not know, my family are Americans living abroad in England. We lived in Germany for three years prior to this and have been in the U.K. for going on 2.5 years now. We know we’re headed back to the states in 2023, which left us with a conundrum.

Because of the move, we knew we weren’t going to be going to Disney in 2023. So if we didn’t go this summer, it would probably be 2024 at the earliest that we’d make it back. But if we DID go, that’s less time traveling over here.

To continue with the tough decision, right now, flights to Orlando from London are direct and reasonable-ish. If we have to move to where odds are good we’re going to go, that same trip will require two layovers and just as much money.

Alex and I went back and forth on this decision.

A lot.

I mean, ad nauseum.:headache:

It’s exhausting just thinking about all those pros and cons convos.

Ultimately, we decided to do it. (Obviously, since this pre-trip report it happening.) We justified our choice with the knowledge that Alex has vacation days to take regardless, and we will have a month after we get home before the kids go back to school to go anywhere else. Not to mention another school year’s worth of holidays to knock out any last minute trips we want to take.

With that decided, came choosing actual dates.

I planned for right after the kids got out of school in June. Early summer, a tad bit better weather-wise, etc. Plus, the British kids wouldn’t be out of school yet so prices would be cheaper.

Just when I’d gotten myself settled, my parents asked if they could come visit us.

In June.

:rolleyes2

Of course I wasn’t going to tell them no. They haven’t been able to visit us at all while we have been here, and I’ve been dying to show them the sights.

This is all a roundabout way to explain why in the world my family is choosing to go in one of the worst times of the year.

July.

Boy oh boy.

Good ol’ July. When the humidity is thick enough to cut with a knife, when storms roll through and soak you within minutes. When you’re red and sweaty and sticky and gross and know you’re sharing ride vehicles with people who are just as gross and you have to mentally block out your senses.

Bleck.

July.

The card up our sleeves, though, is that we’ve done July before. We know how its system works and know how the game has to be played. The copious amount of water, the rest during the heat of the day, the extra shirts and socks in the suitcase.

The first time my family went to Disney in July, Landon was two. And I was 30 weeks pregnant.

Yep. I managed Disney pregnant in the summer. Without incident.

The second trip?

Alex was deployed, and I was wrangling a four and one year old.

Surely, SURELY! If I can manage pushing a stroller while carrying a toddler on my back through a busy Main Street at noon on a hot summer’s day, I can handle this trip.

Back then, I was cutting food up for one child, feeding the other with a fork, toting diapers around, and juggling two naptimes. And I remember having a wonderful time.

So we can do this. We can battle the elements and come out the victor.

Up Next: Where are We Resting Our Heads?

So excited to be joining in! I can't wait to hear about all of your planning. We're looking to bring our now eight year olds in August, so just a bit behind your crew.

You describe July perfectly and it made me laugh out loud. Since my eldest started school we have been stuck in July ( well one Christmas trip in 1998 and 1 in April 1997 where I was pregnant also, before the dreaded school holidays/exams made it July) :rotfl: As you say, once you’ve done it you know what to expect and how to have the best time plus no diapers/strollers needed for your small people now so that should be easier. We love the Florida storms and all the relief they bring as it’s always less humid after plus the boys always say I’ve got the best sense of when they’re coming and usually snag a covered table so we can safely sit and watch (and usually snack which with boys is a big deal especially if there’s fries or ice-cream involved:rotfl2:).
I’m delighted your folks are getting to visit you in England before you return back home. It will be nice to show them where you’ve been living. The kids will enjoy sharing the sights with them too. My grandson FaceTimed me this morning to ask me why I wasn’t meeting him in the park to play. He kept showing me the climbing frame and saying “c’mon Goey I’ll help you do it!” So funny- 1) he’s in Denmark and 2) no way could Goey go up that frame :rotfl::rotfl2:
I’m so excited for you all and believe me I’d love to tag along. Aren’t some of those flight prices crazy atm! Can’t wait to hear your plans :goodvibes

Alex and I are right smack dab in the middle of the season of our lives where we have three options for visiting Disney: Spring Break, Christmas, and Summer.
::yes:: I feel your pain.
For those of you do not know, my family are Americans living abroad in England. We lived in Germany for three years prior to this and have been in the U.K. for going on 2.5 years now.
:eek: I think I missed a whole move in there somewhere. Last I knew you were in Germany.
This is all a roundabout way to explain why in the world my family is choosing to go in one of the worst times of the year.

July.
Hey, it isn't all that bad. Seemed to be when we usually had to go when I was growing up, and we did mid-July on our last trip. We're actually trying to decide if we can/should pull the trigger on a trip this year and if we do it will probably have to be the week of the 4th. :faint:

Christmas is Alex’s favorite time of year in WDW, but the military tickets are blacked out during that time, and again…we just couldn’t swing the prices.
This just shouldn't be! There shouldn't be any black out dates for military! Such a shame.

So we can do this. We can battle the elements and come out the victor.
You guys will make the best of it! Besides that's why hotels have pools!

That's great, Alicia! So glad you're in the planning again! Miss you around here for sure. :) All caught up and hope to see you soon!

Glad you have dates! I was scared to do August, and ended up loving it- though I'm sure the people we were with made it worth the heat!

So excited to be joining in! I can't wait to hear about all of your planning. We're looking to bring our now eight year olds in August, so just a bit behind your crew.

Hooray for another trip! But 8?! I can't believe the girls are 8 already. It'll be a new experience for you, as well.

You describe July perfectly and it made me laugh out loud. Since my eldest started school we have been stuck in July

Following a school schedule is such a slog, and I'm only at the beginning of the journey. :rotfl:

I’m delighted your folks are getting to visit you in England before you return back home.

My mom has been looking forward to visiting for so long, I'm just happy it's hopefully going to happen. And my dad never travels anywhere, so I won't believe he's coming until I see him at the airport. :laughing:

My grandson FaceTimed me this morning to ask me why I wasn’t meeting him in the park to play. He kept showing me the climbing frame and saying “c’mon Goey I’ll help you do it!” So funny- 1) he’s in Denmark and 2) no way could Goey go up that frame :rotfl::rotfl2:

Oh my gosh how sweet is he?! I'm sure he's having a great holiday in Denmark, but I imagine you're ready to have them back home.

I think I missed a whole move in there somewhere. Last I knew you were in Germany.

Parenthood fries the brain, you're excused. :rotfl:But yep, we've been in England since 2019, and are going to be moving again in 2023.

We're actually trying to decide if we can/should pull the trigger on a trip this year and if we do it will probably have to be the week of the 4th.

Have you decided yet? With all the changes and upcharges, it's a tough call. But there's a lot of new stuff there that can make it worth it.

July in Disney is better than no Disney. You can do it! Don't forget the extra under ware too.

That's a good point. I think everyone in my family will take a Disney trip however we can. We just want to be back in the parks.

This just shouldn't be! There shouldn't be any black out dates for military! Such a shame.

When Universal announced that they renewed their military tickets, they made sure to point out that they had no blockout dates. :rotfl:

You guys will make the best of it!

My kids are bad about drinking water, so as long as I remember to remind them to keep hydrated I think we'll all be fine.

That's great, Alicia! So glad you're in the planning again! Miss you around here for sure. :) All caught up and hope to see you soon!

Now that I have a trip in the works, I do find myself back on the boards more. It was just hard to squeeze time into doing it knowing it was still years away for me. Hopefully I'll continue to stay consistent!

Glad you have dates! I was scared to do August, and ended up loving it- though I'm sure the people we were with made it worth the heat!

Your August trip looked like so much fun! I'm sure the kids had a blast, too, spending time with so many other kids. :goodvibes

So glad to read this! I'm excited to follow along with your family's planning once again! Hi to everyone!

Hello to your family, as well! Hope you all had a nice holiday break.
Do you have a trip report going right now? Have I missed it? The last one I read was about your trip the week before the Covid closures. If you are please let me know; I miss reading your reports!

Which left summer.

Oh, summer.

Don’t get me wrong. I love the season. It’s actually my favorite.
I love summer too. I love the heat and since I choose to travel later in August, crowd levels aren't too bad either.

July.

Boy oh boy.

Good ol’ July. When the humidity is thick enough to cut with a knife, when storms roll through and soak you within minutes. When you’re red and sweaty and sticky and gross and know you’re sharing ride vehicles with people who are just as gross and you have to mentally block out your senses.

Bleck.

July.
If you can do July pregnant and with littles, you will be just fine with school agers. Plus you are a seasoned Disney traveller with lots of tricks up your sleeve!

Hooray for another trip! But 8?! I can't believe the girls are 8 already. It'll be a new experience for you, as well.

Yeah, I know it always seems crazy how fast kids grow, but I swear this pandemic has fast forwarded things! Something about being stuck isolated that makes it feel like they should have paused at that age for a bit.

I'd take July! You know what to expect and that's half the battle. Can't wait to hear where you're staying - maybe Shades? Disney prices have skyrocketed! We're treating our little family (7 of us including our 2 grandsons 3 and 5) and I can't think about the cost or we'd never pull the trigger.....You have a lot to look forward to - your parents visit and WDW!

Hello to your family, as well! Hope you all had a nice holiday break.
Do you have a trip report going right now? Have I missed it? The last one I read was about your trip the week before the Covid closures. If you are please let me know; I miss reading your reports!
No, I miss writing them too, but haven't been able to consistently find the right combination of time/energy/opportunity to write them. I'm barely on here to read even, but popped on and spotted your report. I've got one last semester of online classes starting up soon, so maybe things will be easier after that, not having to juggle work/school/life quite so much. But, for now, I'll try to at least pop on here and follow you guys. :)

If it helps at all, I think July in Disney was slightly better than August in Disney lol.

And definitely better than no Disney at all.

The $7,000 for economy tickets really made my jaw drop! Goodness is that insane!

I love summer too. I love the heat and since I choose to travel later in August, crowd levels aren't too bad either.

I'll take the heat to the cold any day. Right now it's rainy and freezing here, and the warm Florida sunshine is sounding pretty good right about now!

Yeah, I know it always seems crazy how fast kids grow, but I swear this pandemic has fast forwarded things!

I think it's this train of thought that helped contribute to our decision to go to WDW. Alex and I just can't stand the idea that Landon and Evie will be even older than they are now before they eventually make it back to the parks. As it stands, they've grown out of a lot of interests from the past. I'm sure you feel the same, with your girls being eight now.

I'd take July! You know what to expect and that's half the battle. Can't wait to hear where you're staying - maybe Shades? Disney prices have skyrocketed! We're treating our little family (7 of us including our 2 grandsons 3 and 5) and I can't think about the cost or we'd never pull the trigger.....You have a lot to look forward to - your parents visit and WDW!

That is a very good point. It was so hard packing for our December Disney trip, because I didn't know if it would turn cold at any point. At least with July, I know we'll need the rain gear and the cooling fans.
Good guess! At this point I just pay the prices and put it out of my head. If I stopped to think about it, I'd probably back out!
My mother is so excited to come to England, and June is the best month to see the country. It's not too hot and all the gardens are in bloom. We can't wait.

No, I miss writing them too, but haven't been able to consistently find the right combination of time/energy/opportunity to write them. I'm barely on here to read even, but popped on and spotted your report. I've got one last semester of online classes starting up soon, so maybe things will be easier after that, not having to juggle work/school/life quite so much.

I understand. Sometimes, there's seasons of your life where certain things have to take a backseat. Hopefully one day you'll find yourself with the time and desire and energy to return. Congrats on your last semester of classes! That has to feel good, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes

If it helps at all, I think July in Disney was slightly better than August in Disney lol.

And definitely better than no Disney at all.

The $7,000 for economy tickets really made my jaw drop! Goodness is that insane!

Very true. If battling the Florida humidity and the afternoon thunderstorms means I get to finally be back in the parks, I'll take it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter