“Would You Like an Adventure Now?" A July PTR *Updated 8/1

You're saving the best park for last, Magic Kingdom.

I like putting it that way. Hadn't thought of it like that before.

Nothing beats a day in AK, and Satuli is such a great addition! I love how Evie calls it the "roller coaster that goes backwards".

I knew you'd agree with me on the best park in WDW. Honestly, it's one of the places I'm most looking forward to returning to. There's just something about standing by the Tree of Life, listening to all the insect noises and the background noises piped in, that completely mellows me out.

I have no earthly idea. All the changes and new attractions have me scratching my head and feeling mildly stressed out about the idea of planning a trip. I'm hoping to figure that out before next summer (if we actually bite the bullet and actually book a trip)

Are you still considering going in July?

Spoiler: They will be.

True. But hopefully by that point we'll have injected them with enough sugar and bread that they'll be in a mild food coma. :laughing:

I really thought the reason was going to be that you'd need to drink your way around the world after the stress of a day of getting your family through all the must do's in DHS.

:rotfl:We'll save that for the kid-free portion of the trip, where we celebrate getting through multiple days in the parks with two kids.

Spoiler: You're going in July. You'll be listening to the children saying these things whether you're fully rested going in or not.

True. Especially Evie, she's our whiner. It's a pastime for her. :rolleyes2

I'd love to see them do more seasons.

Just yesterday there was an article posted that said they're filming season 2!

On our trip a couple years ago, we planned MK for our last park day...and then left early and skipped it entirely!

I guess it's like you said, there's so much to do in all the parks that it's not a big deal if you don't get to everything. There's entertainment everywhere!

So excited for you to take the kiddos on Everest! Izzy loves it too. Fun thing, when we were there last August with DIS friends, Izzy and Aria got to ride it themselves! (because they wanted to go more times than either adult did...that darn backwards part makes me sick-ish) So wild they are big enough to do that

Oh wow! Are they really that old already? :sad2: I'm still surprised when Landon goes to a birthday party and I can just drop him off. How'd we reach that stage so soon?
Hey, if you decide to come down in July, Landon would be more than happy to ride EE with Izzy sans adults. :laughing:

I love me some AK! I am so excited to get on EE again- it was closed last month- Austin was so bummed!

Aww, was your trip in that stretch of time when it was supposed to have opened up already but they pushed the refurb date back? That is disappointing, it's one of the best coasters at WDW!

Are you still considering going in July?
No. We had a few things we needed to plan around this summer and by the time we had dates and schedules on everything, options for what we wanted at Disney World were limited and expensive. Couple that with all the hoops and we just decided to wait another year... see if genie is still there or something better replaces it. Or at least give us time to understand everything better. We'll probably try to schedule a week that we can go and book it as soon as 2023 opens. Our summer should be more open next year, but it is still likely going to be mid-July when we will be able to go.
Just yesterday there was an article posted that said they're filming season 2!I
I hadn't seen that! That's great!

No. We had a few things we needed to plan around this summer and by the time we had dates and schedules on everything, options for what we wanted at Disney World were limited and expensive. Couple that with all the hoops and we just decided to wait another year... see if genie is still there or something better replaces it. Or at least give us time to understand everything better. We'll probably try to schedule a week that we can go and book it as soon as 2023 opens. Our summer should be more open next year, but it is still likely going to be mid-July when we will be able to go.

Probably smarter to wait awhile and see how everything shakes out. Plus, I feel like 2022 is the year everyone is doing their vacation makeups, so this whole year will be busier at the parks.

Hi friends! I have come to the conclusion that the older I get, the less inclined I am to uber plan my Disney trips. We’re a few weeks away from our 60 day mark, so I should really start putting serious thought into our dining plans!

In my defense, life has been busy lately. Around Easter, I actually flew back to the states to see my mom. She has had a craptastic year, and she really needed something to lift her spirits. In about a nine month time span she was the sole caregiver for her sister battling cancer, her father had two heart attacks, her aunt, whom she was the guardian of, passed away, she had to become the executor of her estate, my brother needed to lean on her for personal reasons, and she caught Covid in January.

It was just blow after blow for her, so I knew it was necessary to give her heart a break and have a few days where she wasn’t responsible for anyone or anything. It was also the birthday of my aunt, which I knew was going to be a hard day for her. So I took her to a zoo, enjoyed lots of meals with her, and we soaked up two beach days with each other.

01.JPG

02.JPG

I like to think she had a nice week and took her mind off all the stress for awhile! Maybe one day I’ll be able to convince her to break away for a Disney trip with me. That would have been the only thing better.

And, in true parenting fashion, three days after I returned home, Evie caught a bug and Landon had a massive project to work on at the same time. Ahhh, the joys of motherhood. It definitely made me ready for Disney and vacation!

Anywho, let’s move on to the next day of our trip.

Day 5:

This is going to be our first down day.

Time to sleep in and catch up on some rest! I’m sure the kids will want to swim in the pool most of the day, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Alex’s mom came over to hang out. I’ll probably cook at the AirBnB on this day, just to give our bodies some normalcy. When I was back in the states and eating out a lot, I realized I need my “normal meals” to help offset the extra delicacies I’m enjoying.

However, if Alex and I weren’t able to swing by Gideon’s on our arrival day and grab some treats from there then we might try again on this day. Or even just order a pickup from the East End Marketplace location.

All I know is I need that peanut butter chocolate cake in my life again.

03.JPG

I love that dessert. If it’s the only sweet I get on this vacation, I’ll be a happy camper.

So cake…a must on this rest day.

With not much else happening on Day 5, let’s move on.

To Day 6:

Is it happening??? Is it really?

Are we actually going to do it??

Yes, friends.

After 5 days around the Walt Disney World property, the time will have arrived.

It’s our
Magic Kingdom day!!!!!

:cheer2:

Hip Hip Hooray.

About dang time.
Seriously.

This is going to be a busy, busy day.

For the first time ever, all four of us can ride all the attractions together. With no more height restrictions, we can book our Genie+ reservations without worrying about Rider Swaps or restrictions. The world is our oyster!

Obviously, I have to get Evie on Big Thunder Mountain. It’ll be a momentous occasion for me. I mean, just look at Landon’s reaction to it the first time he rode:

04.JPG

It’s a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, all the classics must be experienced. Same as Peter Pan’s Flight, PeopleMover, Dumbo, Space Mountain. Everything!

We’ll need to recreate our iconic photos. Landon and Alex with the sword in the stone (hopefully it’s not covered!)

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

And Evie on the carousel:

08.JPG

09.JPG

These are part of our Disney memories, our trip heritage, and I cannot wait to get updated pictures. They’ve grown so much in the last three years. It’s unbelievable.:sad:

Our goal for lunch is to snag a reservation at Steakhouse 71, but if that does not work out then we’ll head over to WL for either Whispering Canyon or Geyser Point. We’re hoping a nice long lunch in the air conditioning will be enough of a break that we can return to the parks and finish out the day strong.

Alex and I love Festival of Fantasy and want to see it again, since in 2019 it got rained out every time we tried. However, I don’t think we’re going to stay for Enchantment. From the videos we’ve watched, we feel like getting back to the AirBnB and decompressing will be more worthwhile than standing in the crowds and watching the fireworks. But I guess if we do, then we’ll probably catch them from our favorite spot, the Tangled bathroom area.

All right, let’s wrap up this long post with a Goal list.

Day 6 Goals:
- Evie ride BTMRR
- Picture of Alex and Landon with the Sword in the Stone
- Picture of Evie on the carousel
- Ride ITASW
- Eat a nice lunch

Yay for your MK plans! Love the old flashback pictures - you'll definitely have to get updated ones! Also, that cake looks amazing!! Mmmmm.

I am so sorry your mom had such a tough year - that sounds like a nightmare. Hugs to her. I'm so glad you were able to take the load off of her for a few days of fun. So important to have some respite from caregiving. I hope the rest of this year is much kinder to her.

And, hmmm, we weren't planning to come in July, but I have been known to take spontaneous long-distance drives, so I'll keep that in mind. Izzy would do it for EE w/Landon. :rotfl2:

So glad you were able to spend some time with your mum and I’ve no doubt it did her heart good. Here’s hoping things get easier for her and your brother. Sometimes life is tough but hopefully better times are in the horizon for all.
That photo of the sandy beach and blue sky is simply stunning.
I’m excited just reading about your MK day plans. Gotta love those classic rides and priceless throwback photos. We also do the sword in the stone and carousel pics every trip and I love how the kids age in them. Evie looks so cute in her Cinderella dress and Landon’s wee face on btmmr is just precious.
I like the idea of taking the boat over to WL for dinner. I have never done that but I do love the boat rides and hear great things about both GP and WCC. You must be coming up on adr day son. Let us know how you get on. Good luck ☘️

Hugs to you and your mom. Glad you got to spend some solo time with her!

We loved Steakhouse 71 lunch- I hope you get to experience it!

Following. I like your writing style, and I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Thanks for following along! The trip is creeping closer and starting to feel "real" now. :goodvibes

Love the old flashback pictures - you'll definitely have to get updated ones!

I look forward to getting new pictures. The kids look almost like entirely different people now.

that cake looks amazing!!

If you can manage to get a slice on your upcoming trip, I highly recommend it!

So glad you were able to spend some time with your mum

It was really nice to visit with my parents. My brother even stopped by a few times, so the time was extra special. The one downside to living overseas is being so far away from my mom and not getting to see her as much as I'd like, but I went to her in April, then she's coming in June, and then we'll see each other again in July. So, really, three times in one year is miraculous, and we aren't complaining.

That photo of the sandy beach and blue sky is simply stunning.

The panhandle of Florida beaches are some of my favorite in the world. :goodvibes

I have never done that but I do love the boat rides and hear great things about both GP and WCC.

GP has gotten such a reputation on the trip reports threads that I feel I have to try it out myself!

Hugs to you and your mom. Glad you got to spend some solo time with her!

We loved Steakhouse 71 lunch- I hope you get to experience it!

I really want to try Steakhouse 71. I think it'll make for a great break in the middle of the day, and the kids (and Alex) will love going to the Contemporary.

In my defense, life has been busy lately. Around Easter, I actually flew back to the states to see my mom. She has had a craptastic year, and she really needed something to lift her spirits. In about a nine month time span she was the sole caregiver for her sister battling cancer, her father had two heart attacks, her aunt, whom she was the guardian of, passed away, she had to become the executor of her estate, my brother needed to lean on her for personal reasons, and she caught Covid in January.

It was just blow after blow for her, so I knew it was necessary to give her heart a break and have a few days where she wasn’t responsible for anyone or anything. It was also the birthday of my aunt, which I knew was going to be a hard day for her. So I took her to a zoo, enjoyed lots of meals with her, and we soaked up two beach days with each other.
Your poor Mom! What a year for her. So glad you were able to be there to support and care for her.
I love that dessert. If it’s the only sweet I get on this vacation, I’ll be a happy camper.

So cake…a must on this rest day.
Looks delicious!
For the first time ever, all four of us can ride all the attractions together. With no more height restrictions, we can book our Genie+ reservations without worrying about Rider Swaps or restrictions. The world is our oyster!

Obviously, I have to get Evie on Big Thunder Mountain. It’ll be a momentous occasion for me. I mean, just look at Landon’s reaction to it the first time he rode:
Ummm, baby Landon and baby Evie are the cutest ever!!! You are going to have such a wonderful MK day!

I hope she enjoyed your time together. Sounds like she def needed a break!

However, if Alex and I weren’t able to swing by Gideon’s on our arrival day and grab some treats from there then we might try again on this day. Or even just order a pickup from the East End Marketplace location.
Gideaon's was a big hit with us this trip! I have heard it's easy to place a pick up order at the other location.

04.JPG
Look at that smile!!! Def book BTM first!
It’s a Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, al
It was fairly easy for us to get all 3 of these as secondary LLs.

They’ve grown so much in the last three years. It’s unbelievable.:sad:
You are telling me!!! it's crazy! Can't wait to see the comparision photos.

Our goal for lunch is to snag a reservation at Steakhouse 71, but if that does not work out then we’ll head over to WL for either Whispering Canyon or Geyser Point. We’re hoping a nice long lunch in the air conditioning will be enough of a break that we can return to the parks and finish out the day strong.
I hope you get reservation. We did this and it was a great break from the park. You can also look for the 5 legged Goat on the mural when you are there.

Warms my heart to hear that you got to spend some precious time with your mom. It really sounds like she needed it. It's really great you will get to see her again in June and July.

Your laid back day sounds great. I'm going to be jealous if you make it to Gideon's since I still have not gotten in there.

I'm very excited for your MK day and the break sounds perfect. Looking forward to reading about the memories you make.

Really excited to read your TR! Been reading them since your DS was a baby - I think maybe when you were still expecting....what a horrible time your Mom has had. I'm sure you coming to visit was a real upper for her. Hope things improve quickly. Your trip plans sound great. I think you will find Disney has changed but you're a seasoned Disney girl so you'll adjust as necessary. We're in Wales right now and so far the driving has been OK except for a couple scary moments!

Looks delicious!

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but the cake from Gideon's is my splurge! And since we're staying at an AirBnB, I'm hoping to pick one up and keep it in the fridge to snack on throughout the week.

Ummm, baby Landon and baby Evie are the cutest ever!!! You are going to have such a wonderful MK day!

It's so hard to remember them that little. Landon's getting taller and taller by the day, and Evie doesn't have any of that "baby look" about her anymore. :sad:

Look at that smile!!! Def book BTM first!

I just hope Evie loves BTMRR after already experiencing some of the bigger thrill rides. (EE, TOT, FOP)

I hope you get reservation. We did this and it was a great break from the park. You can also look for the 5 legged Goat on the mural when you are there.

This is great to hear! Did you take the monorail or walk over to the Contemporary? How long did the meal take from when you left the park to when you returned?

Warms my heart to hear that you got to spend some precious time with your mom. It really sounds like she needed it. It's really great you will get to see her again in June and July.

I'm looking forward to seeing her so many times this summer, especially because next summer we'll be moving (have no idea where yet) and so who knows the next time I'll get to see her.

I'm going to be jealous if you make it to Gideon's since I still have not gotten in there.

You've got to add Gideon's to your must-try next time! It's so decadent and delicious.

Really excited to read your TR! Been reading them since your DS was a baby - I think maybe when you were still expecting....

I appreciate you sticking around for all my rambling. :rotfl: Hard to believe I've been writing trip reports for that long.

I think you will find Disney has changed but you're a seasoned Disney girl so you'll adjust as necessary.

I'm hoping if I go in with a go with the flow attitude, I won't be disappointed. Really, after three years away, I think Alex and I will be happy just to be inside the parks again.

We're in Wales right now and so far the driving has been OK except for a couple scary moments!

I'm not sure how the rest of the country is faring, but if it's anything like my area, the weather has been beautiful! Truly, this sunny and 60s is so unusual. Hope you are enjoying your trip. Some of these roads can be terrifying, but the final destinations are usually worth it!

This is great to hear! Did you take the monorail or walk over to the Contemporary? How long did the meal take from when you left the park to when you returned?
So, we had a 1 lunch reservation and I think we left MK at noon. And took the monorail over. We got there with plenty of time. We checked out the gift shop and found the 5 legged goat as I mentioned before. We were there way too early but we were just ready to rest.

We decided to just go ahead and check in at 12:40. And they actually sat us a little before our 1:00 time. So we waited awhile but we were early for our reservation. I have that we left Contemporary at 2:15, so lunch was about an hour.... I will say, we tend to take FOREVER at meals. But we didn't feel rushed. We did get apps but no dessert.

We took an uber back to the hotel after. But if we had gone back to MK, I think we would have been back by 2:30. We probably would have walked back. We did walk from the Contemporary one morning and it isn't bad unless it is a thousand degrees.

I have that we left Contemporary at 2:15, so lunch was about an hour.... I will say, we tend to take FOREVER at meals. But we didn't feel rushed. We did get apps but no dessert.

This is great info, thanks!

Oh my gosh, I don't think anyone eats slower than Evie!! We were out and about today, and it took this girl 40 minutes to eat a personal pizza from Pizza Hut. :faint: We watched families sit down, eat, and leave while we all waited for sweet Evie.

I think we'll probably gets apps and no dessert, too.

We did walk from the Contemporary one morning and it isn't bad unless it is a thousand degrees.

I like to say we'll walk back to the MK after lunch, but since it'll probably be around 1:30 in the afternoon in July, I'm not sure I'll have the patience to listen to the kids melt under Florida's inferno sun. :rotfl:

Day 7:

Be careful what you throw out in casual conversation, folks. Sometimes, it can turn around and bite you in the behind.

Case in point: Day 7 of our vacation.

Have you ever made a casual offer to someone, fully expecting them not to take you up on it? One of those “you’re more than welcome to join, but I know it’s unlikely.”

Yeahhhh.

I might have done that with two of Alex’s siblings in regards to our last Disney day with the kids. I never in a million years thought they would buy one day Disney tickets and come join us for our second day in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Well.

The joke is on me.

Not only did they purchase the tickets, but Alex’s brother has been actively planning the day with us. He’s called multiple times with a to-do list and on our 60 day window, woke up early to coordinate with me on booking everything he wanted.

He’s taking this day very seriously.

And don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the siblings. They’ve appeared in trip reports of the past.

It’s just when you expect one thing and then get dealt a change, you have to step back and reassess your plans.

::yes::

Originally, our Day 1 was going to be all about Galaxy’s Edge and immersing ourselves in the park. Then, I figured our Day 7 would start in DHS for more Star Wars and doing anything we might have missed, then maybe hopping over to a different park to let the kids take another ride on whatever attraction they fell in love with.

Now, however, Day 7 is about doing all the Star Wars things. It’s going to be a Star Wars filled kind of day.

(Or, for me, a tag along and watch my kids have a blast while I watch in mild confusion because my Star Wars knowledge is minimal.)

At 1ish, Alex’s brother booked a lightsaber build and then at 3ish a droid build. He can take one guest with him to each experience, so we’ll let him take Landon to one and Evie to the other.

Then, I was able to snag a 4:55 Oga’s Cantina reservation for our large group.

Please, give me your drink recommendations here. I know the costs are high and you might end up standing, but when in Rome, right? We’re going all in on this Star Wars experience.

In addition to those set reservations, my group wants to ride Smuggler’s Run since there will be six of us and that will guarantee Landon gets to be the pilot. (His number one want for this Disney portion of the trip.)

Alex and I are going to try and buy ILL’s for Rise for everyone as a birthday gift to his brother, but if we can’t get them then hopefully in the evening the wait won’t be astronomical. And fingers crossed the attraction will be out of B Mode by then!

Since Alex’s brother is buying a lightsaber, I’m hoping to bring Evie’s costume along and capture some nice shots of her in front of the Millenium Falcon at night with her holding the saber.

And finally, we’ll eat too many Ronto Wraps. :rotfl:

Goals for Day 7:
- Let Landon be the pilot on Smuggler’s Run
- Ride Rise
- Take Evie’s picture in Galaxy’s Edge at night
- Oga’s Cantina

Now, for
Day 8:

Our second down day! But not just any down day.

This is the day my mom, my brother, and my sister in-law arrive!

My mom has been a frequent flyer in my reports, because she’s one of my favorite people on Earth and a fellow theme park fan.

0029.jpg

It was only recently that she confirmed she was coming down for a few days, and my brother put in for the time off from work, so I can officially get excited about their involvement in the trip.
:cheer2:

I’m hoping they leave their house early and get to the AirBnB by early afternoon, so we can have most of the day to visit and hang out. I would guess Alex’s mom will be over, as well, so it’ll be a nice gathering of family.

For dinner, I think Alex and I want to try Four Rivers Barbecue, and they have a platter combo that feeds 12. While that might be a little too much food, if we have leftovers we can eat them on another night for dinner.

I am so, so excited to have my little brother joining us for a few days. Him and I grew up close, and when we get together, it’s as if no time has passed. (I was lucky enough to see him twice while I was back in FL last month.) He even bought me my first wand when he went to Universal for his grad bash.

And because he’s much younger than me, my kids have always loved spending time with him, as well. He’s the “fun uncle.” I mean, he was 18 years old when Landon was born.

Alex gets along well with him, too. He used to come crash at our apartment on weekends when we were first married, and he was still in school. Alex was touched that my brother asked him to be a groomsman in his wedding last summer.

0062.jpg

This down day truly should be what it’s called. A “down day,” a time to slow down and breath and actually rest on our vacation.

Plus do several loads of laundry.

You can escape work and carpool and appointments, but you can’t leave laundry behind.

It finds you.

It’s always there… :rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter