1 page trip report and a hard decision.

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
So we just got back today from a Great? Yes, some parts were overly great trip from Dec 27th - Jan 6th. Some parts, not so great. In fact, some parts were downright disgusting.
So we started off with 3 nights at Legoland with my immediate family of 4 and my oldest daughter, her husband and my 2 grand kids along with my next door neighbors and their grand daughter. The Legoland part with all 11 of us was fantastic! The resort was great, food was great, staff and parks were awesome! lean, manageable wait times, even a flirty lady at the bar lol. But she was great though the wife may not think so lol.
After Legoland, we all parted ways and My family headed to Star Ways Galactic Starcruiser. OMG, This was beyond what I could have ever imagined! NYE in space? yes please! We had such a great time doing the missions, traveling to Batuu, eating all the great food, dressing up to play our parts, it was just so awesome!! The whole crew was beyond amazing! The actors actually have "feeling" and make you believe it's real. When there were dramatic parts that would call for tears, I was standing right next to the director and she was tearing up for real. The captain was great! She had so much emotion and no one, I mean no one ever ever broke character during the entire experience. It was expensive but worth every single penny.
After the Starcruiser we checked into Riviera Resort, which is our home resort. The resort part of the trip was fine. Nothing great, nothing special but nothing bad either. Our 1 bedroom villa was clean, dishwasher was still hot where they had just done the dishes, we had a great view where we could watch Epcot fireworks from our balcony, Topolinos was good etc. etc.
Now for what was not so good. The parks.

Day 1, MK. We had planned on dropping our bags and heading straight to MK but they told us our room would be ready soon so we chilled in the lobby for about an hour and our room was ready by noon. We settled in, grabbed what we needed and headed to MK via Minnie Van and were in the park by 1:00. We purchased G+ for $29 pp (x4) and I did start staking by making my first at 7am and we were able to grab 7DMT, BTMRR, Space, Splash (decided against it) and a few other rides. We also rode the train 1 3/4 around the park. The train was great! Also did COP, a must. It was a fine day. We had lunch at The Plaza and Dinner at Tony's. Let me tell you about Tony's! Holy what a change! The bread was sooo good and I had Chicken Parm and it was good! The prices, not so good. Over $200 at Plaza, Over $300 at Tony's.

Day 2, Epcot
What a crap show! I couldn't get a boarding group for Guardians so I purchased it for $123.56 after tax And purchased G+ for $72.44 after tax. Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno was $100 for Bacon, eggs, pancakes and soda, and Dinner at Le' Crepe De Paris was $198.60 for Crepes and sodas! The only "Good" rides I could book (at a time that worked for us) was the Rat, Spaceship Earth and Mission Space Everything else fell too late in the day. The park was so over crowded, the bathrooms were disgusting and the standby lines were crazy long. 45 minutes for Figment!

Day 3, Hollywood Studios.
I did Not purchase G+ as I was not about to throw money away again. We spent way too much money eating at Mama Melrose's $214.59, Rode TSMM, TOT, RnR and that was it. That's all, nothing else. That's 7 hours in the park with 95% of the time standing in line. I cancelled my Sci-Fi Drive-in reservation and we went back, showered and headed to California Grill for dinner. (I know people lol) But still, $467.85 for dinner. The food was good, we got to see fireworks from our table, our server was great but the price. Almost $500 and for what? $100 worth of food?

Day 4, AK
Wow! Just wow! Rainforest Cafe for 11:00am lunch $120.40. All we ordered was 2 appetizers. Nachos and the safari plate. Me and the wife each had 1 beer and the kids had soft drinks. We headed to FOP. 270 min wait time. We left. Nothing that day was worth the wait times. We chilled in the room for a few hours, watched TV, walked the resort until dinner at Topolinos Terrace. The food, Meh. The price, really? Over $300.

Day 5, EP
The only reason for 2 Epcot days was for Guardians. I was up at 6:45 but dozed off holding my phone. Totally my fault. I woke up a almost 8:00 lol. So, I purchased $LL again. Another $80+ dollars. It was less this time. $19 pp +tax. We had Breakfast at Topolinos, $157.19 for 2 kids waffles, 2 adult eggs with sausage and potatoes and soft drinks for all. We get to Epcot and all we were able to do was Figment, Pixar shorts and Test Track before our dinner reservations at Space 220 which I grabbed in the room before heading to Epcot. We were going to eat at La hacienda Blah blah blah, but if I'm throwing money away, it's going to be in space lol. Dinner was good, price was out of this world ;) $341.33 + tip. That one hasn't posted yet. I did leave 20%.

Summary:
We Love our DVC. we really do love Riviera but we have lost our love for the parks. It's a total money suck and besides the Galactic Starcruiser, which has great food and I really do think it's worth every money sucking penny, The food at WDW isn't even close to in quality and quantity for the money paid. I was okay with paying a little more for the same food you can get anywhere but now it's out of control. Also the price to ride rides that they used to give you for free, It's freaking ridiculous! So on our way home, I brought up the idea of skipping the parks on our next trip. Everyone agreed that it's just too stressful to be in a park and the only trip we have planned tor WDW this year is in October when we do Universal / WDW split stay. The only pushback I had was Tron. The girls really want to ride it so the deal we made was to keep our DVC reservation for 5 nights in October, purchase day tickets for MK and the other days will be pool days and a trip to Sea World and a trip to the Space Center. We all agreed to NOT renew our AP's in February. Really there is no need as the break even point is 10 days and we plan on 1 day so there some savings. Also the subject of our DVC came up and my wife would be fine selling it. I convinced her that WDW isn't just about the parks and our DVC is paid for so besides maintenance fees, it's a good value to have a nice room and nice resort to stay at for pennies on the dollar vs. booking for cash. We also agreed to bring in enough groceries for breakfast and dinner on our October trip. That alone will save us thousands of dollars. Bottom line, we love Disney but hate what it has become. Basically the only money Disney will get from us is lunch and a few adult beverages. I will drink water from the sink before I pay $4.50 for another bottled soda. Disney is driving their most loyal fans away and it's a shame.

So sorry you didn't have a great trip and wow, those food prices. I don't blame you for wanting to back off some, it doesn't make sense to spend all that money and not enjoy yourself. I will say, however, you were there at what is arguably the busiest time of year so I'm not surprised it was crowded and you didn't get as much done as you would have liked. I didn't renew my AP this past Sept. because I knew I would only be taking one trip this year. I was rolling the dice on that one that they do come back with APs for non-DVC - non Florida resident people since I do plan on going on more than one trip the next year. This upcoming year finances just didn't work out so it wasn't anything to do with less desire to go. I have been twice since Genie+ came out and didn't buy it either time. Easy enough for someone who goes often to skip it but I can see how people who don't go a lot would pay for it. One of the times was very busy, the other every ride was just about a walk on. I don't eat large meals so I tend to sort of snack all day and maybe do one TS a day, some days I don't even do that. When I do TS I usually just eat apps. not trying to save money I just don't eat large meals. I do enjoy a refreshing adult beverage or two while I'm there and those prices can hurt. I will say I live in a college town and it's not unheard of for hubby and I to go out to eat for dinner and easily spend $200 for one meal but that usually includes apps, entre, a few refreshing adult beverages and maybe dessert. We have a favorite seafood restaurant that is not fancy, most people wear shorts and it is always $200 for a meal there.

I’m here to tell you there is life after Disney. We headed for greener pastures when the magic changed and have not looked back. We first switched to the Seaworld resorts where you can buy a pass to 11 parks for about $400pp. Then we switched to a Silver Dollar City for $134/year. We vacation 120 days per year, mainly staying in timeshares paying very little for extra nights we don’t have points for.

There is a wonderful world out there and we really enjoy the adventure of going somewhere new. We have found new places where the magic is still very much alive. We do return to Orlando and enjoy visiting and eating at the resorts instead of going to the parks. Aquatica is now our favorite park in the area. Your timeshare ownership can open doors to awesome opportunities in the future. Learn how to use it is travel elsewhere and enjoy your new adventures.

So sorry you didn't have a great trip and wow, those food prices. I don't blame you for wanting to back off some, it doesn't make sense to spend all that money and not enjoy yourself. I will say, however, you were there at what is arguably the busiest time of year so I'm not surprised it was crowded and you didn't get as much done as you would have liked.
We did have a great trip as a whole. The Galactic Starcruiser was amazing! Legoland was great, Riviera Resort is awesome, that's why we decided to purchase it as our home resort It's the theme parks at WDW and G+ that's the problem and the food prices. We still enjoyed what we did but it's just not worth it at this time. We do really enjoy Universal and as I said will keep our DVC. I do know we went at the peak but we have done 3 Christmas days at WDW and pre covid, with FP+ it has never ever been like it was this last trip. Honestly, I do believe G+ is a big part of the problem.

So, are you totally opposed to eating at counter service places or what?
Yes. I would rather book a set time than wait in a 30 minute line for crappy burger. The only exception is Yorkshire fish. That place is worth the wait.

I’m here to tell you there is life after Disney. We headed for greener pastures when the magic changed and have not looked back. We first switched to the Seaworld resorts where you can buy a pass to 11 parks for about $400pp. Then we switched to a Silver Dollar City for $134/year. We vacation 120 days per year, mainly staying in timeshares paying very little for extra nights we don’t have points for.

There is a wonderful world out there and we really enjoy the adventure of going somewhere new. We have found new places where the magic is still very much alive. We do return to Orlando and enjoy visiting and eating at the resorts instead of going to the parks. Aquatica is now our favorite park in the area. Your timeshare ownership can open doors to awesome opportunities in the future. Learn how to use it is travel elsewhere and enjoy your new adventures.
I agree there is life after Disney but also life with Disney as in we keep our paid for DVC but enjoy the resort and other attractions in the area. Disney parks just need a lot of work. It's just too crowded for the number of parks and attractions. I see no slow down as they keep building more resorts to house more people but not more parks. The really do need a 5th gate and maybe a 6th.

The food prices are crazy and quite a few of the offerings are just "fair" quality. We do no more than one TS per day, and if we're doing something like F&W, there will be no TS that day. We're not opposed to an expensive meal, but dropping $150 for breakfast???

We always have at least a one bedroom with the full size fridge, stove, and microwave. We hit Publix on the way from MCO and buy breakfasts and snacks for the room. We'll spend less than $200 at Publix and have breakfasts and substantial snackery for the 6 or 7 day stay for our group of 3 or 5. We buy tasty stuff and it's become a fun part of our trips--hangin' at the resort. We all paid plenty to become DVC members, why not enjoy the resort and minimize park days?

So we just got back today from a Great? Yes, some parts were overly great trip from Dec 27th - Jan 6th. Some parts, not so great. In fact, some parts were downright disgusting.
So we started off with 3 nights at Legoland with my immediate family of 4 and my oldest daughter, her husband and my 2 grand kids along with my next door neighbors and their grand daughter. The Legoland part with all 11 of us was fantastic! The resort was great, food was great, staff and parks were awesome! lean, manageable wait times, even a flirty lady at the bar lol. But she was great though the wife may not think so lol.
After Legoland, we all parted ways and My family headed to Star Ways Galactic Starcruiser. OMG, This was beyond what I could have ever imagined! NYE in space? yes please! We had such a great time doing the missions, traveling to Batuu, eating all the great food, dressing up to play our parts, it was just so awesome!! The whole crew was beyond amazing! The actors actually have "feeling" and make you believe it's real. When there were dramatic parts that would call for tears, I was standing right next to the director and she was tearing up for real. The captain was great! She had so much emotion and no one, I mean no one ever ever broke character during the entire experience. It was expensive but worth every single penny.
After the Starcruiser we checked into Riviera Resort, which is our home resort. The resort part of the trip was fine. Nothing great, nothing special but nothing bad either. Our 1 bedroom villa was clean, dishwasher was still hot where they had just done the dishes, we had a great view where we could watch Epcot fireworks from our balcony, Topolinos was good etc. etc.
Now for what was not so good. The parks.

Day 1, MK. We had planned on dropping our bags and heading straight to MK but they told us our room would be ready soon so we chilled in the lobby for about an hour and our room was ready by noon. We settled in, grabbed what we needed and headed to MK via Minnie Van and were in the park by 1:00. We purchased G+ for $29 pp (x4) and I did start staking by making my first at 7am and we were able to grab 7DMT, BTMRR, Space, Splash (decided against it) and a few other rides. We also rode the train 1 3/4 around the park. The train was great! Also did COP, a must. It was a fine day. We had lunch at The Plaza and Dinner at Tony's. Let me tell you about Tony's! Holy what a change! The bread was sooo good and I had Chicken Parm and it was good! The prices, not so good. Over $200 at Plaza, Over $300 at Tony's.

Day 2, Epcot
What a crap show! I couldn't get a boarding group for Guardians so I purchased it for $123.56 after tax And purchased G+ for $72.44 after tax. Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno was $100 for Bacon, eggs, pancakes and soda, and Dinner at Le' Crepe De Paris was $198.60 for Crepes and sodas! The only "Good" rides I could book (at a time that worked for us) was the Rat, Spaceship Earth and Mission Space Everything else fell too late in the day. The park was so over crowded, the bathrooms were disgusting and the standby lines were crazy long. 45 minutes for Figment!

Day 3, Hollywood Studios.
I did Not purchase G+ as I was not about to throw money away again. We spent way too much money eating at Mama Melrose's $214.59, Rode TSMM, TOT, RnR and that was it. That's all, nothing else. That's 7 hours in the park with 95% of the time standing in line. I cancelled my Sci-Fi Drive-in reservation and we went back, showered and headed to California Grill for dinner. (I know people lol) But still, $467.85 for dinner. The food was good, we got to see fireworks from our table, our server was great but the price. Almost $500 and for what? $100 worth of food?

Day 4, AK
Wow! Just wow! Rainforest Cafe for 11:00am lunch $120.40. All we ordered was 2 appetizers. Nachos and the safari plate. Me and the wife each had 1 beer and the kids had soft drinks. We headed to FOP. 270 min wait time. We left. Nothing that day was worth the wait times. We chilled in the room for a few hours, watched TV, walked the resort until dinner at Topolinos Terrace. The food, Meh. The price, really? Over $300.

Day 5, EP
The only reason for 2 Epcot days was for Guardians. I was up at 6:45 but dozed off holding my phone. Totally my fault. I woke up a almost 8:00 lol. So, I purchased $LL again. Another $80+ dollars. It was less this time. $19 pp +tax. We had Breakfast at Topolinos, $157.19 for 2 kids waffles, 2 adult eggs with sausage and potatoes and soft drinks for all. We get to Epcot and all we were able to do was Figment, Pixar shorts and Test Track before our dinner reservations at Space 220 which I grabbed in the room before heading to Epcot. We were going to eat at La hacienda Blah blah blah, but if I'm throwing money away, it's going to be in space lol. Dinner was good, price was out of this world ;) $341.33 + tip. That one hasn't posted yet. I did leave 20%.

Summary:
We Love our DVC. we really do love Riviera but we have lost our love for the parks. It's a total money suck and besides the Galactic Starcruiser, which has great food and I really do think it's worth every money sucking penny, The food at WDW isn't even close to in quality and quantity for the money paid. I was okay with paying a little more for the same food you can get anywhere but now it's out of control. Also the price to ride rides that they used to give you for free, It's freaking ridiculous! So on our way home, I brought up the idea of skipping the parks on our next trip. Everyone agreed that it's just too stressful to be in a park and the only trip we have planned tor WDW this year is in October when we do Universal / WDW split stay. The only pushback I had was Tron. The girls really want to ride it so the deal we made was to keep our DVC reservation for 5 nights in October, purchase day tickets for MK and the other days will be pool days and a trip to Sea World and a trip to the Space Center. We all agreed to NOT renew our AP's in February. Really there is no need as the break even point is 10 days and we plan on 1 day so there some savings. Also the subject of our DVC came up and my wife would be fine selling it. I convinced her that WDW isn't just about the parks and our DVC is paid for so besides maintenance fees, it's a good value to have a nice room and nice resort to stay at for pennies on the dollar vs. booking for cash. We also agreed to bring in enough groceries for breakfast and dinner on our October trip. That alone will save us thousands of dollars. Bottom line, we love Disney but hate what it has become. Basically the only money Disney will get from us is lunch and a few adult beverages. I will drink water from the sink before I pay $4.50 for another bottled soda. Disney is driving their most loyal fans away and it's a shame.
Food prices are $$$. imo, buffets are rarely worth it. character Meals are not worth it imo either.

now, for a one and done trip -sure . But as a DVC owner who will return, then I don’t have to eat at a sit down for every meal and my husband and I often share an entree, but a couple of appetizers, and drinks.

as for G+, rarely need it. We dont bring the grandchildren every trip and when we do, my daughter is a G+ genius. She can stack like nobody‘s business…

legoland is an amusement park. WDW is so much more. You can spend weeks there and do as little or as much as you want.

everyone chooses what to do with their time and money and DVC for US has been great! Sure there are a few hiccups here or there but overall, WDW is great IMO.

the good thing about DVC is you can rent your points or reservation to use the $$ for Something else.

We definitely noticed the increase in charge for food this Christmas. We bring our own Brita water bottles so we never have to buy water. The water tastes fine with the built in filter.

We should have packed or ordered more snacks for the kids, but we didn't and that added up. We went through a LOT of Mickey bars.

The only expensive meal we felt was worth it was Citrico's and that was our Christmas night dinner. We wanted it to be extra special. Most other TS places are well over-priced for quality. We tried Space 220 for the 1st time and thought it was awful. It's just not our thing and the menu was not appealing to our tastes. I checked it out ahead of time, but I wanted to experience it anyway so I cant complain. Never need to go back.

Citrico's I would definitely go back to enjoy.

Bought Genie+ because of the little kids and Christmas week, but normally we do not buy it. Wouldn't do it again.

The food prices are crazy and quite a few of the offerings are just "fair" quality. We do no more than one TS per day, and if we're doing something like F&W, there will be no TS that day. We're not opposed to an expensive meal, but dropping $150 for breakfast???

We always have at least a one bedroom with the full size fridge, stove, and microwave. We hit Publix on the way from MCO and buy breakfasts and snacks for the room. We'll spend less than $200 at Publix and have breakfasts and substantial snackery for the 6 or 7 day stay for our group of 3 or 5. We buy tasty stuff and it's become a fun part of our trips--hangin' at the resort. We all paid plenty to become DVC members, why not enjoy the resort and minimize park days?
This^ is exactly how we discussed our next WDW trip in October. We calculated right at $200 for eggs, bacon, cereal, biscuits etc for 5 mornings plus 4 dinners that we will prepare in our room. The good thing about Publix is the "ready to go" meals that take little to no time to prepare but I added 1 night of burgers and fries, 1 night of Stoffers Lasagna and a night of Ribeye's with baked potatoes. Plus 3 12 packs of drinks put us at that $200 mark. We will eat at one of our favorites 1 night and there is always pool side snacks or whatever snack / lunch we need if we visit Sea World or the space center. We always get a 1 bedroom villa but have never took advantage of the kitchen. It's time for a change. The Universal part of our trip will be in a standard 2 queen room at Portofino and that means no kitchen. The good part is they have awesome breakfast and it's included with our stay so that always saves us money. Also we get a $100 dinner credit and a $200 statement credit to offset what we will spend on food which isn't much compared to WDW food prices. Plus UO quick serve is actually pretty good food.

You have a breakfast included package at Portifino?

Also Publix will be opening new WDW location soon .
I asked and they plan to Open in March ! … a new Shopping Center for the Celebration Island Expansion.
Traffic flow will be a challenge ( right across from CelebrationHigh School )

Were these meals with 10+ people? Would be interesting to mark if you’re talking $15-30 pp incl gratuity on the avg (including your discounts based on context clues). Any of these meals include liquor?

Living in NYC I may have a skewed sense of prices (though we also have the highest quality options) so would be great to know some more context.

You have a breakfast included package at Portifino?
Book the room through American Express Travel under Fine Resorts collection with a Platinum card. You get a lot of perks. Breakfast for 2 every day including check out day, $100 dinner credit, $200 statement credit (once a year) , Noon check-in, 4:00pm Check-out and a room upgrade (when available) which it has been more than not. It does have a $695 annual fee but the points I earn year long pay that fee.

Were these meals with 10+ people? Would be interesting to mark if you’re talking $15-30 pp incl gratuity on the avg (including your discounts based on context clues). Any of these meals include liquor?

Living in NYC I may have a skewed sense of prices (though we also have the highest quality options) so would be great to know some more context.
2 adults, 2 children. A beer or 2 with each meal for adults at dinner. 20% gratuity.

We spent 7 nights at SSR before our 8-night DCL Carribean Cruise last October/November. We also spent 2 more nights at SSR after the cruise. We ate breakfast at a different WDW resort each morning and occasionally a dinner. Yes, the meals can be expensive, but we never had a bad meal. We also used the busses from SSR to one of the parks before catching another bus, the monorail, Skyliner or boat to get to the resort where we had a meal reservation. But we never encountered a problem making it to the resort well before the reservation time. Really the biggest pain was getting to Boma for both buffets, but we also made it there in plenty of time. And, we had a really wonderful time exploring all the different resorts and walking around the Boardwalk in the early morning when we had reservations at TAT or Ale & Compass.

We usually returned to SSR around noon to relax and then took the boat over to DS in the afternoon/early evening to shop and enjoy the different bands at the outdoor music venues. We had almost all of our dinners at DS. We ate at Boathouse twice, which is our favorite restaurant. Steakhouse 71 at the Contemporary for both breakfast and dinner was also very good.

We never entered any of the parks. We learned in 2022 that we just don't get our money's worth by only being able to ride a few rides per park, and we refuse to pay for rides that used to be free. And the crowds in the parks nowadays are a really big turnoff for us. Not that it's not crowded at DS, but we find it to be more relaxing there because we're not in a hurry or trying to do much. Note, I'm 76 and DH is 75, but we're in excellent shape and have explored much of the world over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter