1 Park Plan

Art08

Earning My Ears
Before my husband and I head to Disney, we are stopping at Universal. I got the ticket for 1 park only, and I'm a big fan of Harry Potter, my husband says meh on the series.

I'm having trouble picking a park, I read Diagon Ally is good because it feels like you're in the movie and I'm more of a sight seer person. On the other hand, I love Hogsmeade in the books and movies but it seems more for candy and I'm not a thrill ride person at all. I know Hogsmeade is in Island of Adventures, with Marvel and I LOVE Marvel comics and movies.

Basically I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the better park? We estimate we'll be there around 12-1 P.M., but we'll have to leave around 4:30 for our dinner reservation. I was also debating on moving our dinner reservation to another night so we can be at Universal a bit longer.

That’s not nearly enough time! You’d have to leave by 3:30 (probably 3) to get to your reservation (even if I misunderstood and you can stay until 4:30, it’s still really, really short). So that’s like 3 hours...I recommend 2 full days to visit. Tickets aren’t cheap either. Try and do it on a day when you can actually enjoy the park. Getting there at noon is already putting you way behind the 8 ball- it’s so much nicer to enjoy the park when crowds are lower. From the parking garage to actually being in the park, you need at least 30 minutes.
Can you move your Universal day for one where you actually have a full day vs 2 to 3 hours? You really can’t do it unless all you’re planning is to take a few pictures and grab a Butterbeer.
As for what park to do if you only plan to do one park? Universal gets my vote. Diagon Alley is much bigger than Hogsmeade. More shops, snacks and things to see and do.
You’re setting yourself up for a rushed and frustrating visit, I think. I think any time in Universal is fun but it’ll be a challenge the way you’re planning to do it. I don’t mean to be a downer...just really want you to think about other options.

That’s not nearly enough time! You’d have to leave by 3:30 (probably 3) to get to your reservation (even if I misunderstood and you can stay until 4:30, it’s still really, really short). So that’s like 3 hours...I recommend 2 full days to visit. Tickets aren’t cheap either. Try and do it on a day when you can actually enjoy the park. Getting there at noon is already putting you way behind the 8 ball- it’s so much nicer to enjoy the park when crowds are lower. From the parking garage to actually being in the park, you need at least 30 minutes.
Can you move your Universal day for one where you actually have a full day vs 2 to 3 hours? You really can’t do it unless all you’re planning is to take a few pictures and grab a Butterbeer.
As for what park to do if you only plan to do one park? Universal gets my vote. Diagon Alley is much bigger than Hogsmeade. More shops, snacks and things to see and do.
You’re setting yourself up for a rushed and frustrating visit, I think. I think any time in Universal is fun but it’ll be a challenge the way you’re planning to do it. I don’t mean to be a downer...just really want you to think about other options.

Oh my goodness.......agree 100%.........

That is nowhere near enough time to get in and out the parks and spend any time there, only to leave for a dinner?

That doesn’t sound like fun.........

And yes, for one day I’d go for Studios and Diagon Alley too.........

But op please consider going for at least a full day, two is better..........:thumbsup2

We just spent a full day with the dual park pass. Two of us spent the entire time (8am - 5pm) in HP world while the other two wandered into some of the Universal rides. However I can understand due to price not wanting to do that. While Diagon Alley was incredible and there's nothing like finding it hidden behind a brick wall in London, the rest of that park I felt was a dud. The only rides were one roller coaster too challenging for my kids and a few VR rides. IOA had a few roller coasters, the Marvel world (by the time we finished with HP we only walked through, but it looked really cool), Jurassic Park (which looked incredible) and lots of water rides. Hogsmeade doesn't have as many shops as Diagon Alley but they sell almost the same things, and if you're going to only see one side, Hogwarts in IOA is not to be missed, IMO. That ride was much cooler too. So amazing we rode it twice.

Sadly I won't be able to visit both parks, I did switch my reservation for that day to another day for lunch, so I'm hoping that'll buy us some time. I also can't think of a day to where we can be there all day, but I'll talk to my husband to see if we can, since at Disney I hardly have interest in Hollywood Studios.

Correct. Which is why I could never settle on just one park. Park to parks are a must for a HP fan if only 1 day.

Agree, the Hogwarts Express is kind of a MUST DO for an HP fan. This is from someone who has sat on the real train at the WB Leavesden tour.

I would at least try to stay until the park closes at 5 if you can! 3 and a half hours (really more like 2 hours and 45 in the actual park with parking, getting through City Walk, then doing the same to leave Universal at 4:30) is not going to be very beneficial. What about upgrading just your ticket to Park to Park? If you upgraded and stayed until 5, you could get on the Hogwarts Express, bop around Hogsmeade, then right back to Diagon Alley. Husband could wait in Diagon Alley or elsewhere in the park.

I did happen to see your other post - how far are you driving that day? That would be such a long day!! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the parks no matter what you decide, but I would start looking at a map now of Universal to plan your exact steps. You're gonna be on a big time crunch!

I would at least try to stay until the park closes at 5 if you can! 3 and a half hours (really more like 2 hours and 45 in the actual park with parking, getting through City Walk, then doing the same to leave Universal at 4:30) is not going to be very beneficial. What about upgrading just your ticket to Park to Park? If you upgraded and stayed until 5, you could get on the Hogwarts Express, bop around Hogsmeade, then right back to Diagon Alley. Husband could wait in Diagon Alley or elsewhere in the park.

I did happen to see your other post - how far are you driving that day? That would be such a long day!! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy the parks no matter what you decide, but I would start looking at a map now of Universal to plan your exact steps. You're gonna be on a big time crunch!

We leave tomorrow morning and stay in Georgia, then we drive another 4 1/2 to Universal. We're staying at a hotel with free breakfast, I'm hoping it's served early since I get up as early as 5 (Thanks housekeeping). My husband is prepared to get up early though, so I'm really hoping to get breakfast early. Another idea I had was to pay for breakfast for my husband and I on the road so we could get there around 11.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter