1 Person Arriving for a Reservation of 3

If Disney's IT Department wasn't run on outdated hardware and people without a clue, you would be able to adjust your reservation numbers down without and issue. So since they want to play a stupid game and you can't adjust without cancelling its how the game gets played.

Exactly! And the system seems to work against smaller parties. We’re usually a party of 2. I often have to make an ADR for 4 in order to eat at normal times. I refuse to feel bad about showing up with less. Parties of 1 or 2 are entitled to good ADRs too.

I take no offense.

We are spending five weeks this year at WDW, two with our son and DIL. Plans change and we cancel ADR's if it goes from four to two. We don't want to take a table from another guest or waitstaff so we cancel and take our chances. IMO it's on us.

Wow, I'm surprised that guests don't cancel. We will continue to cancel if our party shrinks. I would feel guilty otherwise. I did not mean to cause such a debate by following my conscience.

Peace. :hippie:

You can always try to modify down to 2 if you're that guilty about it but want the ADR.

Wow, I'm surprised that guests don't cancel. We will continue to cancel if our party shrinks. I would feel guilty otherwise. I did not mean to cause such a debate by following my conscience.

Absolutely do what makes you happy and feels good.

You can always try to modify down to 2 if you're that guilty about it but want the ADR.
Yes, that is what I try first. We often change plans on the fly, but we are pretty good at stalking ADR's and being flexible seems to help. Our son and DIL are good at finding good ADR's. DH just want to eat LOL!

Yes, that is what I try first. We often change plans on the fly, but we are pretty good at stalking ADR's and being flexible seems to help. Our son and DIL are good at finding good ADR's. DH just want to eat LOL!

And TBH, I'd say about 80-85% of the time, I'm at a 4-top even as a solo. So honestly? I would not stress it if you can't drop from 4 to 2 and really want the ADR. They're not going to be upset.

I take no offense.

We are spending five weeks this year at WDW, two with our son and DIL. Plans change and we cancel ADR's if it goes from four to two. We don't want to take a table from another guest or waitstaff so we cancel and take our chances. IMO it's on us.

Peace. :hippie:
You do you, but I've never heard of a restaurant preferring you cancel instead of modifying your reservation. Since Disney's system is unique in that they do not actually modify reservations but instead try to book a new reservation, modifying often doesn't work. But if you call Disney Dining and ask the CM what you should do, they will tell you to show up and let the restaurant know when you arrive. So there does not seem to be a reason to feel guilty when that's what they want you to do. Also, many restaurants use the same tables for 2 as they do for 4. So if you originally booked for 2 it would not make any difference.

Do as you prefer, of course.

It's truly not a big deal as DH and I are often seated at a 4-top.

In fact, I have my doubts that your server knows the ADR was for more than however many appear. I suspect that's what the little printout the receptionist gives your server shows--exactly how many diners there are.

We once invited a friend who'd driven in from her home to join us for lunch. I apologized at check-in for asking to add one to our ADR for 2. The receptionist assured me it wasn't an issue, that the ADR was tentative.

We'd never ask to add more than a 4-top would accommodate which could inconvenience restaurant personnel since they might have to equip a 6-top.

The drawback to canceling a 3-person ADR and trying a solo walkup could well be waiting an hour or more at a place as busy as Chef Mickey's usually is. That's IF they'd even seat a walkup which many won't do.
The server does not know. Once the kiosk changes your party size, that's your party size.

I wouldn't sweat asking to add no matter how many you want to add. Its the restaurant's decision to make, let them make it. They may be happy to have the extra diners, or maybe they just had a cancellation or no show. Or maybe they just aren't booked up. Of course, we shouldn't EXPECT to be accommodated, but my experience has been that Disney is more than happy to increase your check size if they can.

The drawback to canceling a 3-person ADR and trying a solo walkup could well be waiting an hour or more at a place as busy as Chef Mickey's usually is. That's IF they'd even seat a walkup which many won't do.

I've gotten Chef Mickey's as a walk-up right when they opened. BUT I've found that as a solo it's still better to put 2 in the walk-up wait list request. You're going to the SAME table, and as per usual with solos, it either won't find something or the time jumps ridiculously high.

Just keep the ADR for 3 and adjust. The vast majority of the tables there are 4-tops anyway.

If Disney's IT Department wasn't run on outdated hardware and people without a clue, you would be able to adjust your reservation numbers down without and issue. So since they want to play a stupid game and you can't adjust without cancelling its how the game gets played.
How dare you sir!!!! Disney's IT is beyond reproach. I demand you retract this statement and issue an immediate apology to the guy who lives in a van down by the river that runs Disney IT!

why on earth should you pay and tip for three people if only one shows up? Chef Mickey's is not prepaid.
Just adjust your party size when you check in, it's not a big deal. If the party prefers to cancel because the number has changed, that's fine, but it's ok to just adjust too

I make mine for 4 all the time in case local friends are interested. then adjust party size accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter